Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2374

  • Page

    of 2802 First / Last

  • TechnoHippy 4 Nov 2013 14:09:13 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Threads

    Threads was a BBC production back in the mid-eighties, back then the fear of a nuclear war was a real possibility and this film showed the likely effects of a nuclear strike on Sheffield, an industrial city in the north of England. As can be expected from the subject matter it is a grim film, made more poignant by the hopeful beginning against a backdrop of impending war between the two superpowers of the time.

    The story follows a young couple, planning their marriage and preparing for their first child when the war starts and a nuclear bomb is dropped on the city. It's told in a documentary style that informs the viewer at each stage of the terrible events that occur. It also provides the wider context in which the more personal struggle is set against.

    It's a bleak film that just keeps getting worse and remains a difficult film to watch. In some ways it has aged, the lack of special effects being the most notable, but the film does make effective use with what it has. These days the attack sequence would be a CG masterpiece. Here it is some clever lighting tricks and some very localised scenes, but in a way it has more impact because of it.

    This remains an excellent film, but be warned it is one of the bleakest films you're likely to see.

    10/10

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • Kew1Melon 4 Nov 2013 14:15:57 425 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bad Grandpa - 90%

    Bloody hilarious, if you like Jack ass then its worth a watch.
    Because its done with real people it is funny to see how they react.

    You have an imagination barrier.

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 15:24:16 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kew1Melon wrote:
    Bad Grandpa - 90%

    Bloody hilarious, if you like Jack ass then its worth a watch.
    Because its done with real people it is funny to see how they react.
    Is it essentially an episode of Jackass with just one sketch/character repeated for 90 minutes? Or do they attempt to give it a small modicum of structure a la Bruno and that other one about the guy from Kazakhstan?

    Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:24:40 04-11-2013

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • kinky_mong 4 Nov 2013 15:25:51 10,466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Threads

    Is it safe to make an "***OFFICIAL*** Threads Thread" now that HairyArse emoquit?

    All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 15:29:08 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:Prometheus has actually ruined Alien for me a little bit. I watched it when it was on TV the other week and spent the whole time trying to figure out the stupid story from Prometheus. You will never look at the pilot the same way again after watching that shit.
    I feared I might feel that way a few months after first seeing Prometheus as my initial enjoyment of it gave way to "Actually, no, that was utterly ridiculous".

    But it's pretty easy to remember that the pilot we see in Alien was conceived of purely as another alien that had encountered the xenomorphs. I don't think anyone involved really knew much about their backstory, and if they did then they had a much better idea than what Lindelof did with the Speight script he butchered.

    So I'm cool with it.

    I do actually like elements of the ideas in Prometheus, but the fleshing out of them, and the fact that Ridley approved those awful ideas and characters, ruin all the good work.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 15:32:13 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Threads

    Is it safe to make an "***OFFICIAL*** Threads Thread" now that HairyArse emoquit?
    Oooh, whisper it but I think the ******OFFICIAL******* bit is unnecessary. 'Official' maybe, for fun. But the ******* looks a bit spammy.I think. Personally.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 15:33:06 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm more surprised this thread didn't get walloped with DO NOT IMPOSE RULES ON PEOPLE IN YOUR THREAD TITLE.

    Or IF RULES ARE IMPOSED IN THE THREAD TITLE ALL USERS MUST ADHERE TO THEM.

    (ie, it says 'out of 100' and almost nobody does that)

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • Deleted user 4 November 2013 15:34:10
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Kew1Melon wrote:
    Bad Grandpa - 90%

    Bloody hilarious, if you like Jack ass then its worth a watch.
    Because its done with real people it is funny to see how they react.
    Is it essentially an episode of Jackass with just one sketch/character repeated for 90 minutes? Or do they attempt to give it a small modicum of structure a la Bruno and that other one about the guy from Kazakhstan?
    No idea, but I heard Dr Kermode review this last week - he makes it sound bloody awful :D



    Edited by Ironlungs76 at 15:34:30 04-11-2013
  • Deleted user 4 November 2013 15:42:28
    Heh, I like him.

    There's a thread dedicated to the Kermode love/hate on EG already, so I'll duck out here rather than derail the thread offering nothing more than a counter-point to a 9/10 EG review :)
  • quadfather 4 Nov 2013 15:44:08 12,926 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Silent Hill: Revelation

    Kinda liked the first SH movie regardless of it's faults, but was expecting a plop of poo for the sequel, but it's not actually that bad. Also nice to hear the little snippets of music from the game still in there

    7/10

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • TheSaint 4 Nov 2013 15:45:28 14,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think even his biggest admirer would have to admit that he just doesn't get comedy.
  • -cerberus- 4 Nov 2013 16:23:20 3,159 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Silent Hill: Revelation

    Kinda liked the first SH movie regardless of it's faults, but was expecting a plop of poo for the sequel, but it's not actually that bad. Also nice to hear the little snippets of music from the game still in there

    7/10
    This means war, Quad! :lol:

    Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

  • TechnoHippy 4 Nov 2013 16:32:57 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Road

    After watching Threads I decided that I needed to watch something a bit more light hearted, so I picked The Road :-) So it is a bit more upbeat than Threads, but not by much. It tells the story of a man and his son doing whatever they need to survive in a dying world. Their dream is to reach the coast, although it's not clear what they hope to achieve beyond that besides survival.

    It's a bleak film in every respect, they have to scratch through the ruins of the world to find enough food to eat. They have to fear everyone they meet in case they view them as sport, or even worse as food. For the most part the people they meet are incidental, it is the boy and the father who are the centre of attention.

    They both play their parts well, the father is hard making the difficult choices where needed and trying to teach his son what he needs to know to survive. The boy is more innocent, are rather he is more hopeful, he wants to see the occasional glimpses of colour in a grey world. They balance each other well and he provides some balance to a grim film.

    And it is a grim film (the book even more so, but also worth checking out), but it is very well put together and acted. This is an excellent watch and highly recommended.

    8/10

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • b0rk 4 Nov 2013 16:35:56 2,885 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    What a boring humourless cunt that Kermode is.
    :D

    He can be entertaining but he is a bit of a (Marxist) drip. He also seems to be a white knight but I still enjoy is rants and his impersonation of Danny Dyer.

  • Kew1Melon 4 Nov 2013 16:40:08 425 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Kew1Melon wrote:
    Bad Grandpa - 90%

    Bloody hilarious, if you like Jack ass then its worth a watch.
    Because its done with real people it is funny to see how they react.
    Is it essentially an episode of Jackass with just one sketch/character repeated for 90 minutes? Or do they attempt to give it a small modicum of structure a la Bruno and that other one about the guy from Kazakhstan?
    Its got a general story, they sort of fit stunts into the journey across said story. As if they plotted a course for the script then caused as much mayhem as possible en route.

    You have an imagination barrier.

  • craigy Staff 4 Nov 2013 16:41:59 7,722 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kermode, commode. They are both full of something.
  • Madder-Max 4 Nov 2013 16:42:05 11,660 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Threads

    Threads was a BBC production back in the mid-eighties, back then the fear of a nuclear war was a real possibility and this film showed the likely effects of a nuclear strike on Sheffield, an industrial city in the north of England. As can be expected from the subject matter it is a grim film, made more poignant by the hopeful beginning against a backdrop of impending war between the two superpowers of the time.

    The story follows a young couple, planning their marriage and preparing for their first child when the war starts and a nuclear bomb is dropped on the city. It's told in a documentary style that informs the viewer at each stage of the terrible events that occur. It also provides the wider context in which the more personal struggle is set against.

    It's a bleak film that just keeps getting worse and remains a difficult film to watch. In some ways it has aged, the lack of special effects being the most notable, but the film does make effective use with what it has. These days the attack sequence would be a CG masterpiece. Here it is some clever lighting tricks and some very localised scenes, but in a way it has more impact because of it.

    This remains an excellent film, but be warned it is one of the bleakest films you're likely to see.

    10/10
    How does it compare to 'The Divide'? If you haven't seen it that's some fucked up bleak nuclear apocalyptic shizzle right there.

    99 problems and being ginger is one

  • Kew1Melon 4 Nov 2013 16:43:50 425 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Load_2.0 This is the end was one of the funniest movies iv ever seen, i was happy it ran as long as it did, apart from the end bit.

    You have an imagination barrier.

  • TechnoHippy 4 Nov 2013 16:47:40 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    How does it compare to 'The Divide'? If you haven't seen it that's some fucked up bleak nuclear apocalyptic shizzle right there.
    The Divide was a fun film, but not in the same league.

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • Steve_Perry 4 Nov 2013 17:06:52 4,572 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Steve_Perry wrote:Prometheus has actually ruined Alien for me a little bit. I watched it when it was on TV the other week and spent the whole time trying to figure out the stupid story from Prometheus. You will never look at the pilot the same way again after watching that shit.
    I feared I might feel that way a few months after first seeing Prometheus as my initial enjoyment of it gave way to "Actually, no, that was utterly ridiculous".

    But it's pretty easy to remember that the pilot we see in Alien was conceived of purely as another alien that had encountered the xenomorphs. I don't think anyone involved really knew much about their backstory, and if they did then they had a much better idea than what Lindelof did with the Speight script he butchered.

    So I'm cool with it.

    I do actually like elements of the ideas in Prometheus, but the fleshing out of them, and the fact that Ridley approved those awful ideas and characters, ruin all the good work.
    I do see your point. I still think it is cinematic necrophilia. I just can't get the chaos out of my head. Such a bloody nonsense of a script. It's a bit like Lost really. You watch it, enjoy it and then spend six years shaking in the corner trying to sort it all out in your head.

    Edited by Steve_Perry at 17:07:35 04-11-2013

    VIVA STEFANSEN

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 17:11:17 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kew1Melon wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Kew1Melon wrote:
    Bad Grandpa - 90%

    Bloody hilarious, if you like Jack ass then its worth a watch.
    Because its done with real people it is funny to see how they react.
    Is it essentially an episode of Jackass with just one sketch/character repeated for 90 minutes? Or do they attempt to give it a small modicum of structure a la Bruno and that other one about the guy from Kazakhstan?
    Its got a general story, they sort of fit stunts into the journey across said story. As if they plotted a course for the script then caused as much mayhem as possible en route.
    Hmm, might give it a go then :)

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 17:14:34 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Steve_Perry wrote:Prometheus has actually ruined Alien for me a little bit. I watched it when it was on TV the other week and spent the whole time trying to figure out the stupid story from Prometheus. You will never look at the pilot the same way again after watching that shit.
    I feared I might feel that way a few months after first seeing Prometheus as my initial enjoyment of it gave way to "Actually, no, that was utterly ridiculous".

    But it's pretty easy to remember that the pilot we see in Alien was conceived of purely as another alien that had encountered the xenomorphs. I don't think anyone involved really knew much about their backstory, and if they did then they had a much better idea than what Lindelof did with the Speight script he butchered.

    So I'm cool with it.

    I do actually like elements of the ideas in Prometheus, but the fleshing out of them, and the fact that Ridley approved those awful ideas and characters, ruin all the good work.
    I do see your point. I still think it is cinematic necrophilia. I just can't get the chaos out of my head. Such a bloody nonsense of a script. It's a bit like Lost really. You watch it, enjoy it and then spend six years shaking in the corner trying to sort it all out in your head.
    I actually feel like Lost had some semblance of solid ideas, that all were far too nebulous to go into full detail even within the however many episodes they had. But being 'original' they were able to go where they wanted really. I liked it, even though thereI feel like they explored far too little of the more interesting stuff about the island.

    Prometheus' problem is it tried to retro-fit a new story to an existing lore, and not only is it awful as a standalone film, it takes all sorts of liberties with the lore and fails as a result.

    I'll still watch the sequel though, and try to only ever remember the bits I enjoy.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • crashVoodoo 4 Nov 2013 17:51:48 3,965 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iron man 3 - to much Tony, not enough iron man and the ending was a CGI fest of shit. 50

    World war z - very good considering I didn't really know what to expect beyond zombies. 75

    Now you see me - so much build up that ultimately fizzled out at the end leaving me annoyed. 65

    Red 2 - lacking the comedy and charm of the first, feels very disjointed and some of the effects look really cheap. However, one character steals every scene he's in once he appears. 55

    Wolverine - SHIT. 0

    Edited by crashVoodoo at 17:52:46 04-11-2013

    a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 17:58:32 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Problem with Kermode is, he really makes absolutely no allowances *whatsoever* for people being 'Not Him' when they're thinking about what movies to see. I know all reviews are subjective, but he really does review everything as if everyone is him. I daresay there's probably some stoned/drunk merit to parts of Bad Grandpa, but I also think it does sound a bit shit. And yet I'd still give it my time under certain circumstances.

    Hey ho. It's Kermode. Nuff said.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 4 Nov 2013 18:01:22 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Aw I thought Iron Man 3 was the best of the sequels, and to be honest better than the first one, which is really just an origin movie, which is great as I love good hero origin movies, but I think 3 is better. I loved that we're that comfortable with Stark out of the suit that they're able to spend as much time on him as they are on the "yeah it's a guy in a practically unbeatable metal suit smashing shit up and flying fast" stuff.

    I'd give Now You See Me about 2/10, utter, utter shit. Don't make a movie about illusionists where the illusions are LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE, it's pointless. And don't make a movie about incredible performers when the actors and director are incapable of convincing me that they are in fact remotely competent performers. And don't hire Isla Fisher for anything other than half-naked kookiness, because she just can't act.

    Not even sure I finished it actually, soooo bad.

    Edited by TarickStonefire at 18:02:45 04-11-2013

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • quadfather 4 Nov 2013 18:18:41 12,926 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Silent Hill: Revelation

    Kinda liked the first SH movie regardless of it's faults, but was expecting a plop of poo for the sequel, but it's not actually that bad. Also nice to hear the little snippets of music from the game still in there

    7/10
    This means war, Quad! :lol:
    Oh dear, what have I done now :)

    I take it you weren't keen?

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Bremenacht 4 Nov 2013 18:22:15 18,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was rubbish. Gooey, emo nonsense, seeking to crack your skull open with CGI overload. Not as bad as 2012, but poor all the same.
  • Page

    of 2802 First / Last

Log in or register to reply