Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2373

• Page

of 2810 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 3 Nov 2013 13:42:46 7,770 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wake in Fright

A fish-out-of-water story like none other. An arrogant Brit gets trapped in outback Australia after losing his money in a game of two-up, and needs to come to terms with where he is, and the locals that live there.

Despite the name, it's not a horror movie. It's terrifying in its own way, but only in the sense of someone being in a place utterly alien to them. Even so, there are bits that are absolutely surreal. And the performances are masterful, particularly from Gary Bond, Chips Rafferty and Donald Pleasance.

It's an absolute classic. Well worth a watch.

94/100

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:48:15 03-11-2013
  • TarickStonefire 3 Nov 2013 16:05:46 3,257 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote: Why people get SO upset about them I have no idea.
    Because those movies are retarded. They shat all over what used to be respected icons of sci-fi horror.
    I think you're a tiny bit sensitive. Alien and Aliens are in no way harmed by these fun, silly AVP films. Alien Resurrection is what fucked Aliens for everyone, and Predator 2 is what fucked Predator.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• -cerberus- 3 Nov 2013 16:17:51 3,202 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote: I think you're a tiny bit sensitive.
    I won't refute that. The original Alien trilogy is the reason why I became so interested in film in the first place. It just saddens me to see the brand being milked dry by talentless hacks, and I'm sure many fans share my sentiments.
    TarickStonefire wrote: Alien Resurrection is what fucked Aliens for everyone, and Predator 2 is what fucked Predator.
    Agreed, although they are nowhere near as bad as the AVP movies.

Edited by -cerberus- at 16:20:06 03-11-2013

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Architect_z 3 Nov 2013 16:47:44 2,385 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cowboys VS Aliens - 60%

This film is difficult to review. I went in knowing it had been slated by the media. But this film to me was....safe, I suppose. There was nothing really wrong with it. There was action that was enjoyable, a little comedy that was ok. The scenes, sets and performances were all fine. If you cannot think of anything to watch, and you like your Sci-Fi, you could give it a go, but don't expect greatness.

Edited by Architect_z at 16:49:17 03-11-2013
  • Architect_z 3 Nov 2013 16:54:47 2,385 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Silent Hill 2 - 40%

After having really enjoyed the first film, I suppose I may have had high expectations for this outing. But it was actually balls.
    Just a mash of scenes with a horror story mixed in.

One thing I did love was the first horror entity which moved like a spider with multiple heads. I thought that was very nice. Shame about the rest of the film.

The Cable Guy - 70%

This is an old school movie, but one that I oddly never watched until yesterday. Solid comedy with a nice thriller element closer to the end. I'm a fan of Jim Carrey, and his performance was great. Not sure why Ben Stiller was in the film though, lol.
    The part where the cable guy immitates the star trek fight scene music was pretty damn funny.
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Nov 2013 16:57:52 2,223 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ben Stiller directed it, too
  • thelzdking 3 Nov 2013 19:15:53 4,378 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I reckon The Cable Guy is really underrated.
  • Trowel 3 Nov 2013 19:20:04 17,929 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember watching The Cable Guy in the cinema and about 20 mins in deciding to count the total number of funny moments in the film - got up to 6 I think, maybe 7.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Nov 2013 19:20:11 38,903 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thor: The Dark World

Much better than the first one. Lots of fun, impressive looking battles (including a short "space ship" battle that is actually better than anything seen in the Star Wars prequels), and had a good sense of when to be relatively dark and serious and when to be funny.

Plus confirmation of the Infinity gems/gauntlet for future Avenger films.

Moljnir/10

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Architect_z 3 Nov 2013 19:21:57 2,385 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Ben Stiller directed it, too
    Lol, O right, thats probably why. ^_^
  • TechnoHippy 3 Nov 2013 21:56:13 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dead Man Down

I was surprised by this thriller (and I guess that will happen if you don't read the blurb before watching a film), at the start I thought this was going to be a gangster film. It begins with a crime boss being targeted and trying to find out who's after him. It turns out that the person is one of his trusted lieutenants who is seeking revenge.

Things become complicated when he get's involved with his neighbour who has her own plans for revenge.

It's a slick thriller and Colin Farrell does a good job as the lead and is well balanced by Noomi Rapace's character. The story unfolds at a good pace and the romance works as an integral part rather than a distraction. The main plot is simple enough, but the plan is quite elaborate and keeps things interesting.

Things get a bit crazy towards the end and while it's a sensible conclusion, it's a little over the top compared to the preceding part of the film. It doesn't spoil the film, but it's on odd note to what was quite a considered build up.

All in all I enjoyed watching it, it keeps you entertained all the way through.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Kosmoz 3 Nov 2013 22:05:06 7,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Escape From Tomorrow - 9/10.

The fact that this film exists blows my mind. Recorded at Disneyland and Disney World, without the knowledge of permission of Disney. Man is on a family trip to Disney when he finds out he has lost his job. Things start to get weird. The plot isn't brilliant but the premise and the making of it more than make up for that.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Deleted user 3 November 2013 23:53:12
    Thor The Dark World 8/10

Didn't fancy this at all the trailers were very meh and I though Thor was pretty average.

This was great fun though, more Asgard which is always a good thing and the mix of comedy, in jokes and seriousness was spot on.

At times the visuals were pretty spectacular.

Thor as a character would be pretty boring if it wasn't for Loki though, Hiddleston again was brilliant and easily stole the film.

All set now for Captain America The winter Soldier and the trailer for that looked pretty damn spectacular too.
  • Deleted user 3 November 2013 23:55:34
    -cerberus- wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote: I think you're a tiny bit sensitive.
    I won't refute that. The original Alien trilogy is the reason why I became so interested in film in the first place. It just saddens me to see the brand being milked dry by talentless hacks, and I'm sure many fans share my sentiments.
    TarickStonefire wrote: Alien Resurrection is what fucked Aliens for everyone, and Predator 2 is what fucked Predator.
    Agreed, although they are nowhere near as bad as the AVP movies.
    Actually its the shift by Fox to make them PG-13 fodder which killed the Alien franchise. They could have got really nasty etc and explored the creature more but alas PG-13 action wins the day.

They neutered Die Hard the same way
  • Shikasama 4 Nov 2013 08:36:42 7,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    2012 - 50/100

Watched this last night on Netflix. Decent but nowhere near as good as The Day After Tomorrow or Perfect Storm.

They used the 'running away on the very edge of a natural disaster' thing too many times and it gets annoying when you know John Cusacks family is never in any danger because they simply won't kill off the kids in a film like this. At times it felt like the film was made to justify a new ride at an amusement park.

The storyline on the Government side of things was pretty good though. The batshit insanity of the plan and suspension of disbelief required is quite high but that was the most enjoyable part of the film.

Edited by Shikasama at 08:37:03 04-11-2013
  • Tonka 4 Nov 2013 08:43:13 20,887 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now you see me
    Bunch of gifted Magicians and illusionists are "collected" by mysterious person and told how to rob a bank. And on it goes. How is it made? Who is the person behind it? What are his motives?

I want to thank the EG massif for lowering my expectations of this to a level where it became a nice relaxed way to spend two hours. No, this isn't a great film, but it's not the biggest atrocity ever committed to celluloid (or is it silicon these days)? I found the first third very entertaining. The fact that I absolutely love anything that uses illusionism as a backdrop might have a lot to do with that.

Then it got stuck in a rut (second performance was a snore) and the ending was very unsatisfying. There is a fight scene in it that I absolutely adored and I relly like the idea of a superhero team of illusionists. Too bad it was fumbled.

A missed opportunity

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 4 Nov 2013 09:24:59 60,619 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its one of those films that relies on such perfect planning/coincidence that you spend virtually the entire running time saying 'this is such bullshit'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Load_2.0 4 Nov 2013 10:21:34 19,457 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Riddick - 60. Starts well but soon becomes a less exciting Pitch Black with disposable characters.

This is the End - 75. Some genuinely funny moments, ran a little too long.
  • kalel 4 Nov 2013 10:34:48 88,521 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bernie

I think Richard Linklater is one of the most underrated and generally unknown directors around. Pretty much every film of his makes a significant emotional connection with me and they're full of memorable characters and dialogue. In my experience most people LOVE at least one of his films (usually Dazed and Confused) yet often haven't registered the man himself.

Anyway, Bernie is great. Jack Black has some real acting chops given the right role, and Linklater has always "got" Matthew McConaughey and it's great to see them reunited. The film is a fascinating docu-style crime story that is just packed full of charm. Just throughly enjoyable. Highly recommended.

10/10
  • Load_2.0 4 Nov 2013 10:42:00 19,457 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The trailer for Bernie left me unsure as to what exactly I would be watching.

Added to the list.
  • Gambit1977 4 Nov 2013 10:56:33 10,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Bernie

I think Richard Linklater is one of the most underrated and generally unknown directors around. Pretty much every film of his makes a significant emotional connection with me and they're full of memorable characters and dialogue. In my experience most people LOVE at least one of his films (usually Dazed and Confused) yet often haven't registered the man himself.

Anyway, Bernie is great. Jack Black has some real acting chops given the right role, and Linklater has always "got" Matthew McConaughey and it's great to see them reunited. The film is a fascinating docu-style crime story that is just packed full of charm. Just throughly enjoyable. Highly recommended.

10/10
    Very much agree with this. A surprisingly charming film and the documentary style really works.
  • Steve_Perry 4 Nov 2013 10:57:36 4,642 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    -cerberus- wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote: Why people get SO upset about them I have no idea.
    Because those movies are retarded. They shat all over what used to be respected icons of sci-fi horror.
    I think you're a tiny bit sensitive. Alien and Aliens are in no way harmed by these fun, silly AVP films. Alien Resurrection is what fucked Aliens for everyone, and Predator 2 is what fucked Predator.
    Prometheus has actually ruined Alien for me a little bit. I watched it when it was on TV the other week and spent the whole time trying to figure out the stupid story from Prometheus. You will never look at the pilot the same way again after watching that shit.

AVP is just a nonsense spin off. I actually liked the first one. Its a guilty pleasure a bit like some of those Resi Evil films.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• craigy Staff 4 Nov 2013 11:24:02 7,725 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pumping Iron (1977): 7/10

Documentary about Arnie and Lou Ferrigno competing for the Mr. Universe bodybuilding competition. Me feel like puny human after watch dis.
  • Grax 4 Nov 2013 11:26:26 2,296 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oz, the great and powerful. 7/10 not too bad, actually exceeded my expectations
  • kalel 4 Nov 2013 11:31:00 88,521 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Pumping Iron (1977): 7/10

Documentary about Arnie and Lou Ferrigno competing for the Mr. Universe bodybuilding competition. Me feel like puny human after watch dis.
    I watched this recently. It's extremely entertaining.

It's remarkable just how charismatic Arnie is irl considering how hecomes across in most films.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2013 11:40:56
    Our Children 92%

Based on the true story of Genevieve Lhermitte, who killed her own children as a result of depression brought on by the fact she was never truly free in her marriage; owing to a very wealthy godfather of the husband who was dictatorial for pretty much everything in her life, responsible as he was for the husbands citizen papers.

Expect gut-wrenching, foreign language cinema at it's finest. Someone called it Haneke-esque. Certainly feels like it though no doubt he would have gone a step further with regards to the killing itself.

Amazed it didn't make the final shortlist for the FL Oscar category because I haven't seen many better from it.

Edited by T_Neumann at 11:41:24 04-11-2013
  • craigy Staff 4 Nov 2013 12:01:49 7,725 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel I loved it when he was discussing how he can beat a guy before the competition has even started by talking to them and making them psychologically prepared to lose. He was so full of vitality, super charming, and a little bit sociopathic. The bit when Arnie and Lou & his dad were having breakfast was especially ace.
  • craigy Staff 4 Nov 2013 12:04:55 7,725 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In fact, you can see how that mix of charm, competition and psychopathy would make for a good politician :D
  • TechnoHippy 4 Nov 2013 12:14:37 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Rambler

The Rambler is a strange and wonderful film. It begins with a solitary character who has kept himself to himself during his time in prison, when he is released he tries to return to his old life, but things quickly don't work out so heads across country to his estranged brother's ranch.

The film is all about the journey and along the way he experiences some strange encounters and some very odd characters. It has a similar vibe to Jacob's Ladder with the cowboy trying to progress with his life, but with horrible visions intruding. The people he encounters are fantastic characters, the mad scientist who has built a device that can record dreams and the taxi driver at the end stood out for me.

Everyone in the cast performs well with their roles, the lead in particular plays the solid character with an effective performance. As I've already mentioned it's a strange film, the visions blend well, although the horror does tend to the absurd style.

If you're a fan of David Lynch's work then you should check this out.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• kalel 4 Nov 2013 12:23:02 88,521 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @kalel I loved it when he was discussing how he can beat a guy before the competition has even started by talking to them and making them psychologically prepared to lose. He was so full of vitality, super charming, and a little bit sociopathic. The bit when Arnie and Lou & his dad were having breakfast was especially ace.
    Yeah, that scene is classic. And you can absolutely see why he went into politics. In some ways acting was actually a terrible career choice for him. He'd have been much better off as a TV personalty of some kind. He is a fascinating character in himself, just as you describe him. But he's slightly knowing with it as well which is also interesting.
  • Page

of 2810 First / Last