• Page

of 2871 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 29 Oct 2013 00:43:20 17,396 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Best thing about the Halloween films is when they employ the subjective steadicam camerawork so you can see things from Mike's perspective. I love that stuff.
    Aye, that's very good indeed.
    The very thing that was wholesale lifted from Black Christmas (and which was in turn more or less ripped off from Peeping Tom).
    Never seen either but I am not really a horror aficionado. Are you sure the first person perspectibve wasn't in turn ripped off from something before black Christmas? I guess the horror genre is recent enough for its infuences to be apparent.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 29 October 2013 07:35:07
    The original Halloween film is pretty good. Halloween 2 was ok. Halloween 3 lost it a bit. Jamie Lee Curtis is hot in her own way. Which reminds me, that moment during Trading Places..
  • Deleted user 29 October 2013 07:36:36
    woodnotes wrote:
    Monsters University - 7/10

Oh how Pixar has fallen. This wasn't a terrible film, and the kids will love it. But it feels more on the level of something you'd expect from Dreamworks, rather than Pixar. And certainly not something that lives up to the original.

White House Down - 7/10

Silly, plenty of ridiculous CGI moments, but generally entertaining. Certainly a lot better than that Olympus Has Fallen nonsense anyway.

The Tall Man - 5/10

Silly, but not as silly as you're led to believe it's going to be in the first 10 minutes or so.

The Internship - 3/10

Unfunny. Completely not funny whatsoever. And really makes me want to never work for Google, ever.
    The cover of the Tall Man really sells the film. Based on your comment, i doubt i'll bother to see it.
  • Megapocalypse 29 Oct 2013 07:45:47 5,526 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Springbreakers

It's not getting a score. Just terrible in every way. Half badly edited music video, all pretentious shit. I bet the director/writers actually believe it was something deep and meaningful. It's not and no one involved should ever be allowed near a camera again.

A sample of the script:

Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all. Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all.Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all.Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all. Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all.Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all.Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all. Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all.Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all.Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all. Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all.Springbreak. Springbreak forever y'all. x100
    Edited by Megapocalypse at 07:50:46 29-10-2013
  • Tonka 29 Oct 2013 07:53:32 21,360 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Are you sure the first person perspectibve wasn't in turn ripped off from something before black Christmas? I guess the horror genre is recent enough for its infuences to be apparent.
    As can be seen here it was used all the way back in 1927.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 29 October 2013 09:31:35
    It's not just using a first person view though. That's probably the most obvious thing you can do with a camera.
  • dr_swin 29 Oct 2013 09:35:19 4,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ender's Game
    Just finished the book about a month ago so the novel was very fresh in my mind.
    I think they made a decent fist of bringing the book to the screen. I felt the film could have done with being longer. The rigors of training felt a little glossed over, his isolation and loneliness did not really come across as it should have done.
    Bonzo was terribly miscast, the actor they chose was significantly smaller than Ender and therefore was inherently unsuitable for the role. Dap was a bit of a joke, a total cardboard cut out drill sergaent type, whose respect was earned far too prematurely.
    The side plot involving Ender's brother and sister was omitted entirely ( without too much detrimental impact on the film) - just as well as the boy they chose for Ender's brother was just a meathead bully and had none of the cunning malevolance that would be required for that role.

I would be really interested to read how others that hadn't read the book got on with the film and whether they felt Ender's training and progression felt rather rushed.

9/10 - for the book.
  • craigy Staff 29 Oct 2013 09:37:59 7,850 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kal El is right -- first-person is used to gruesome effect in Peeping Tom. That's a classic example, and I think it's the first use of POV in a popular horror film. But there are examples from other genres that pre-date it.
  • Deleted user 29 October 2013 09:43:39
    spring breakers is the best malick yet and fuiud

"I got scarface. on repeat. SCARFACE ON REPEAT. constant y'all!"

Edited by cozeny at 09:43:49 29-10-2013
  • Deleted user 29 October 2013 09:44:52
    SPRAAAAAAANG BREAAAAAAK
  • craigy Staff 29 Oct 2013 09:52:06 7,850 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spraaaaaaaaang bureeaaaak fo evah yaaaaall
  • Architect_z 29 Oct 2013 13:51:20 2,438 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HERE COMES THE BOOM - 55%

Its actually not a bad film, nothing incredible.
    I laughed a few times and i'm a fan of UFC so I liked fight scenes.

But you know....a comedy with Kevin James in....not exactly a good start.

Enjoyable.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 11:39:14
    White Elephant - 90%

An Argentinian film following the lives of priests in a slum in.. well.. Argentina, as well as the daily struggle to improve all the citizens lives. Drug factions, autocracy, aristocracy...

cracking.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 12:18:14
    craigy wrote:
    Kal El is right -- first-person is used to gruesome effect in Peeping Tom. That's a classic example, and I think it's the first use of POV in a popular horror film. But there are examples from other genres that pre-date it.
    Yeah, just back to this for a sec. The thing that Halloween, Peeping Tom, Black Christmas and even Jaws do with the the first person thing, is to use it to create a very unusual kind of dramatic tension.

It's not just that it's first person perspective. It's that we the audience know something that the protagonist doesn't (that they're being watched), and the reason we know is because we are viewing them though the eyes of the antagonist.

I'm relatively sure Peeping Tom did it first, but even if it predates that, it certainly isn't the same as simply using the camera to portray a first person perspective, which must surely be one of the earliest techniques going.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 15:57:56
    Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2

55%

The first one took me by surprise as it was actually quite good. Probably one of the better films that year, this one...bit different though. There's nothing really awful about it, but its lacking the same charm the first one had. I'm guessing that's down to the writing more then anything else.
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Oct 2013 16:08:13 17,396 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm relatively sure Peeping Tom did it first, but even if it predates that, it certainly isn't the same as simply using the camera to portray a first person perspective, which must surely be one of the earliest techniques going.
    I am quite surprised that neither silent film or Hitchcock didn't play on the idea at some point. That's not to say that I can contradict you because I genuinely don't know. It sort of reminds me about the question of who came up with a particular genre or style of music in that it is quite often more complicated than it first appears. Ultimately though, in regards of Halloween, it is fairly contemporaneous to the films mentioned so your point is probably valid.

• El_MUERkO 30 Oct 2013 16:32:41 17,150 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enders Game - 60%

The whole film felt rushed, needed another 30 minutes to flesh our the characters and show some motivations for their actions.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 16:35:04
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I am quite surprised that neither silent film or Hitchcock didn't play on the idea at some point. That's not to say that I can contradict you because I genuinely don't know. It sort of reminds me about the question of who came up with a particular genre or style of music in that it is quite often more complicated than it first appears. Ultimately though, in regards of Halloween, it is fairly contemporaneous to the films mentioned so your point is probably valid.
    Hitchcock did it in Psycho (the famous hole in the wall scene). Peeping Tom was before that though.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 16:42:58
    Wasn't there a famous hole in the wall scene in Porky's?

What?
  • Frogofdoom 30 Oct 2013 16:48:25 1,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    lockout 55/100

Very very average film, has its moments but ultimately falls flat.

dredd 65/100

Has some good scenes but the guy that plays dredd just isnt believable in the role. His toughness is so acted that it just took away from the film and there was also no need for the token female character.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 16:50:44 30-10-2013
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 16:50:35
    Lawless

Good overall. Enjoyed it. Good cast, good performances from them, good set up, and a couple of woah moments. The women characters were so 2d though. I think the only line jessica chastain said... i moved away from chicago to get away from this. thats it. brilliant. But the rest is pretty solid, and deffo worth a watch. Great OST. Decent direction that had a good beat about it as well.

7.5/10
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Oct 2013 16:56:46 17,396 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Hitchcock did it in Psycho (the famous hole in the wall scene). Peeping Tom was before that though.
    I feel like I really need to watch Peeping Tom now. I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Kostabi 30 Oct 2013 16:57:51 5,100 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Babymakers - 5/10

The very definition of average and predictable. Olivia Munn is in her pants for a lot of it though, hence 5/10.
  • imamazed 30 Oct 2013 16:58:13 5,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeh, Peeping Tom is really good.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 16:59:40
    It's pretty good yeah. It's one of those incredibly creepy yet somehow quite gentlemanly British horror films. The Collector is good too. Similar.
  • CharlieStCloud 30 Oct 2013 17:12:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Dredd 65/100

Has some good scenes but the guy that plays Dredd just isnt believable in the role. His toughness is so acted that it just took away from the film, and there was also no need for the token female character.
    Karl Urban is Judge Dredd! His mannerisms is Judge Dredd!

... and 'token female character'?

She is a major character in the comics for heavens sake.
  • Triggerhappytel 30 Oct 2013 18:42:10 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Death Proof

It was alright. I'm not really a big fan of Tarantino; he usually writes good dialogue but I need a good plot too in order to remain interested. This was a standard paper-thin serial killer fare, pretty girls and nice cars, and not a lot else. Well shot and acted for the most part, and although it got very stupid towards the end I know it was deliberately going for the OTT Grindhouse aspect. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is achingly gorgeous though.

6/10
  • Page

of 2871 First / Last