Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2367

• Page

of 2844 First / Last

• RedSparrows 25 Oct 2013 17:00:09 23,892 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well that told me, film nerds.

Still, I want his rubbery face back on my screens. KIDS BE DAMNED.

(fair play)
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 17:07:54
    Surely his kids are old enough to look after themselves by now, though. The world needs more-ranis.
  • Load_2.0 25 Oct 2013 17:15:28 19,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yeah. Expendables. The sequel came out a while ago. The third one's currently filming with literally every washed up 90s action hero ever in it.

And Kelsey Grammer, weirdly.
    And Harrison Ford.
  • oceanmotion 25 Oct 2013 17:26:32 16,090 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Arnie needs more beard, always looks cool. He seems to be looking better now after getting back into the swing of things. Last Stand was pretty bad and he looked terrible.

Arnie performs some lines for fans.

• Tomo 26 Oct 2013 10:43:28 13,964 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Elysium - 3/10

Shockingly generic action film strewn with plot inconsistencies, predictable ending and Jodie Foster hamming it up to high heaven.

Haven't been so disappointed in a film in ages.
  • -cerberus- 26 Oct 2013 10:49:16 3,378 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Yes Men

Utterly brilliant.

8.5/10

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Gunzberg 26 Oct 2013 11:20:21 1,745 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Disconnect 7.5/10

Not bad at all

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• oceanmotion 26 Oct 2013 12:15:47 16,090 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Place Beyond the Pines

Pretty good up until a point then I started to lose interest. I don't quite get the stare acting Gosling has going on and Cooper sways between bad and decent. Story was good in the first part, bit same old in the middle, just feel apart in the end. Wasn't bad, not too engaging or memorable.

6/10
  • TechnoHippy 26 Oct 2013 20:44:25 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tracker

I was pleasantly surprised by this film, the trailer looked like it would be fun and it was, but it also turned out to be a pretty decent film. Ray Winstone plays a Boer who travels to New Zealand after the Boer war. After he arrives he's tasked with hunting down a Maori who has been falsely accused of murdering a British soldier.

The film get's going quickly and it's as the hunt begins that the film starts to shine. Ray Winstone plays the tracker well in what is a relatively sedate role for him. His South African accent isn't great, but apart from that he does a good job with the role.

Temuera Morrison (who was excellent in Once Were Warriors) also plays his part well and the interaction between the two leads is the film's greatest strength. The story itself is a little predictable, but unfolds in a pleasing manner. Mention should also be made of the scenery, quite simply there are some stunning views throughout the film.

Overall its an excellent watch, reasonably slow paced, but that's fine, it gives the two leads time to breath and you can enjoy the scenery while they do so.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Bloobat 26 Oct 2013 20:56:49 255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tomo I thought Elysium was decent, not guite as good as District 9 but a good film all the same!
  • Gambit1977 26 Oct 2013 21:16:02 10,382 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently watching Much Ado About Nothing, the joss whedon adaptation. Nice to see so many familiar faces, and so far thoroughly enjoying it.

I really didn't like the second half of Elysium at all, it felt so rushed and well, pointless. Awful baddie too.
  • -cerberus- 26 Oct 2013 21:30:29 3,378 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Mist - Director's Cut (blu ray)

The original version is fantastic. So, what's new in the Director's Cut? Nothing, it's the exact same movie but... in black & white! This somehow made the movie even better because the issue I had with the original version has been fixed: the CGI creatures look less fake now. Rejoice!

8.5/10

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Dougs 26 Oct 2013 21:38:49 69,114 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seven Psychopaths (now on UK Netflix). 7.5/10. Lacked a bit of the sparkle of In Bruges, but still a cracking script and performances. Sam Rockwell is brilliant. 2nd half is superb, takes a while to get going is probably my only criticism.
  • Bloobat 26 Oct 2013 23:24:29 255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dougs I literally just finished watching it haha thought it was an excellent film loved how it all fitted together
  • TechnoHippy 27 Oct 2013 09:26:58 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oblivion

I'd heard many terrible things about this film before watching it, almost enough to make me not bother, but I'm a sucker for sci-fi blockbusters so I gave it a try. The good news is that it's not a bad as I'd heard, the bad news is that while it's reasonably entertaining it's far from a good film.

At its heart this is an Independence Day type of affair and while it tries to take itself more seriously any purists watching it would be cursing the poor science of it. Unfortunately it's not as much fun as Independence Day either, however it's more modern visual effects do provide some stunning scenes.

The story is simple, aliens attack Earth and are beaten off with a nuclear attack that irradiates vast regions of Earth, rendering it unihabitable. Most of the survivors ship of to a colony at Titan, but two stay behind to protect essential assets needed to support the far off colony. Remnents of the invading aliens still survive on the Earth's surface and are trying to hamper the operation.

Things aren't quite what they seem and the story really unfolds from there. It's fairly predictable as to where the story is heading, but the journey isn't too bad. The cast all do a reasonable job with their roles, but there's nothing inspired about any of it. It's a sci-fi blockbuster that goes through the motions, an ok watch, but nothing more.

5/10

• spindle9988 27 Oct 2013 09:35:46 3,662 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    World war z

6/10

Fuck the 100
  • Madder-Max 27 Oct 2013 10:55:37 11,680 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gangster Squad - 5/10

Its gangters by number which is too short so any characterisation is sacrificed apart from that of the main guy.

I have no idea what skills the mexican guy brought to the team.

Sean Penn is very very good however. You can see that he worked hard on the role.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Architect_z 27 Oct 2013 14:13:29 2,390 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still can't believe people are giving world war z more than 50% or 5/10, its soooooooo gay.

Anyway;

The Hobbit - 78%

Bit of an odd score, but the way this film makes me feel is odd too.
    I actually read The Hobbit and managed to finish it a few weeks before the film came into the cinemas, I saw it at the cinema, I just rewatched it last night.
    When you read the book, you understand some of the comedy a little better, the hobbit was more....for all readers, whether the LotR books were more advanced, so I can forgive its comedy scenes etc.
    The main issue I have with it is (oddly) Gandalf, hes so overpowered in some scenes of the film, and in others he can't do anything, the other thing is the Golum section is played out abit too long. But they're very small digs at a very entertaining film. The battle/fight scenes, as always, are epic, the musical score is great, the cinematography is impressive, and (mostly) good acting throughout. Its a great film, but its not without its faults.
  • Gunzberg 27 Oct 2013 14:18:28 1,745 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kontroll 5/10

Actually it's nothing special and it drags quite a bit. Give this a miss

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Kostabi 27 Oct 2013 15:04:20 5,023 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Batman - Year One - 7.5/10

It's on Netflix for those who are interested. Probably a better Batman film than the third Nolan one.
  • shooter 27 Oct 2013 17:13:03 394 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blackfish - 9/10

Excellent doc about the killer whales in sea world which mainly focused on the large male thats killed 3 people. If ye havent seen it then get on it
  • Deleted user 27 October 2013 17:54:26
    Dredd 8/10

First time I've watched it after seeing it at the cinema and it really is very good. Despite being a cross between die hard and the raid. Desperate shame that it bombed with zero chance of a sequel.

Lawless 6/10

Pretty naff and flat to be honest. Awesome cast but naff story.

Worth it to see Guy pearce beat the living shit out of the annoying twerp from Transformers and Indy 4.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2013 18:33:44
    Bait (2012) 6/10
    Aka: Bait (III) on IMDb

Jaws and Deep Blue Sea are safe, atleast for the moment. I doubt Jaws will ever be beaten, when it comes to Shark movies. Reef is possibly the 3rd best shark flick.

The first thing that hit while watching Bait was the high contrast over saturated look of the picture, and that fact that itís an Aussie film. For some reason, bad Aussie films tend to be more watchable than bad American films, donít ask why. The acting during Bait is on par with a typical Aussie soap, ok without ever coming close to great.

The first 20 minutes of the film are spent introducing the viewer to the characters, none of whom are all that interesting, bar a couple of fit females. It feels dull. A tsunami strikes, and the special effects are pretty impressive. Thereís water, lots of, its good stuff. Prior to this, there is possibly one of the worse CGI shark moments Iíve yet experience. Imagine looking down on the sea and a shark jumps out of the water towards you, not any old shark, but a CGI shark, that looks plastic (maybe the reason for the over saturated look of the picture, to help blend the CGI). Iíve seen more realistic graphics running on a Playstation 3.

Here's that moment:

There rest of the story takes place inside a flooded super market (and car park), which makes for a great set. To spice things up, thereís a great white in there with the humanís, most of whom have adopted positions on shelf tops etc. - which reminds me, they talk about getting out of a flooded super market like itís a huge mission?

The scrip isnít all that, and the direction lacking. The idea of a flood super market complete with shark swimming about is just great, just too bad it hasnít been handled all that well.

Iím no expert on the water-tightness of cars. During Bait, there are a couple trap inside a fully submerged BMW. Zero water is entering the car. The couple chat and argue. The film cuts back and forth between them, and the super market location. Inside the BMW, thereís no sign of the glass misting up. My guess is, most people trapped inside a fully submerged car would be in a panic, sweating buckets.

On a positive note, some of the (non CGI) shark moments look good, and itís better than Shark Night, which is pretty crap, and superior than Shark Swarm, which still rates as one of the worst filmís Iíve ever seen.

Edited by blacksea at 18:37:47 27-10-2013
  • beastmaster 27 Oct 2013 18:51:16 11,805 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Filth - 9/10

James McAvoy gives a stunning performance in a film about a junkie cop who does everything he can to secure a promotion in an attempt to win his family back.

From the novel by Irvine Welsh, this is a film that is as standout as Trainspotting but it's an altogether much darker and sombre affair.

McAvoy manages to make his character both extremely likeable and utterly repulsive, sometimes even in the same scene. He's remarkable in this and deserves all the praise that's been coming his way. The rest of the supporting cast is just as good, in particular Eddie Marsan, who's on the receiving end of some of McAvoy's savage bullying.

Although the film has a very dark heart it's also incredibly funny. The opening scene where he's assessing the competition for the promotion is hilarious. I assume this comes from Welsh's novel, which I haven't read. The quality of the script really comes through in this film.

Great performances, a fantastic script and lashings of dark humour make this a film that needs to be seen. It may be too dark and depressing for some tastes but it's great that films like this are being made.

Edit: Also one of the most unexpected and bonkers cameos ever. If you've not read the book I guess.

Edited by beastmaster at 18:54:30 27-10-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TechnoHippy 27 Oct 2013 20:14:03 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psycho

I've been watching Bates Motel recently (which has been better than I expected) and realised that I hadn't watched the source for a while. Psycho is a classic movie and for good reason. To modern eyes it might seem a little on the over dramatic side, but I love it and many modern film makers owe a debt to this film.

For those of you that haven't seen it (in which case stop reading this and just grab it!) it tells the story of a young woman who impulsively steals $40,000 from her job. While on the run she stays at the Bates Motel, run by the ultimate mummy's boy - Norman Bates.

Both of the leads perform an excellent job with their roles, Bates has a creepy feel to him that pervades every scene. In some ways it's a film of two halves and in fairness I do prefer the first half. The build up to her arrival at the motel works well and the scenes to the shower scene and aftermath are superb.

The second half encapsulates the investigation and is still good, but doesn't shine as much as the first. The capture scene also stretches the over dramatic label a little and for me was Perkins' only bad scene. It's churlish of me to complain though, it remains an excellent watch and fully deserves it's classic status.

9/10

• Trowel 27 Oct 2013 21:03:01 18,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The coda in Psycho always annoys me - completely redundant. Also John Gavin was a bit of a print-press square jawed 50s actor, and IMO made the mistake of trying to play his role as a hero when he's nothing more than a mere passenger in the story.

Suspect both of the above points were pandering to the audience of the time, so I can partly forgive Hitchcock for them.
  • Trowel 27 Oct 2013 21:05:14 18,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BTW, halfway through Matilda at the moment - no idea why I've not watched it before given I loved the book as a kid, and what a bloody great movie. Kids these days may never experience Danny De Vito, and that makes me sad.
  • Deckard1 27 Oct 2013 21:05:27 29,189 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He can rest easy again then

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Deckard1 27 Oct 2013 21:06:11 29,189 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hitchcock I mean

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• OptimusPube 27 Oct 2013 21:06:31 3,236 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    World War Z

Loved it and it made me jump at least six times, I know I'm not going to sleep tonight, love zombie films and I rate this one very highly.

There's a moment in the film that's very Left for Dead, I'm sure I'm not the first to notice.

8/10

Edited by OptimusPube at 21:08:09 27-10-2013

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• Page

of 2844 First / Last