Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2350

• Page

of 2587 First / Last

• sirtacos 27 Sep 2013 01:39:53 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Flight

Enjoyable but not very memorable or particularly gripping. Couldn't say why, exactly.

6.5/10
  • khaz 27 Sep 2013 06:48:06 2,573 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Because the story couldn't keep up with Denzel's awesomeness.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2013 07:10:39 13,813 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @sirtacos
    I watched the very same film last night.

Excellent drama for me. I though Denzel played the part brilliantly, but you would expect that. Loved when he had his epiphany, very moving.

Strange cameo from John Goodman, slight comedic relief maybe.

80%

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• CosmicFuzz 27 Sep 2013 07:39:50 21,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My problem with Flight is that any time there's stuff going on about the crash, or the investigation into it, it's gripping stuff. As soon as it's anything else, it's like a TV movie about an alcoholic. Felt very disjointed to me.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• sirtacos 27 Sep 2013 08:05:14 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I thought Denzel was excellent.

CosmicFuzz may have a point about the other stuff, though.

To be fair I was gripped, riveted or what-have-you from the opening sequence up until the escape to bumblefuck with miss heroin.

Then it devolves somewhat. I understand the need for character development - we're talking about a troubled guy whose issues shed light into his character, his actions, and the plot itself. I'm not arguing that the film should have been 2 hours of Michael Bay-style peril at 20'000ft, or that it should have played like a high-budget 90-minute episode of Air Crash Investigation, but as a portrayal of a troubled addict, it didn't convince/grab me.

The denouement was satisfying but extremely predictable, saw that shit coming as soon as they mentioned the blood tests in the hangar scene. Anyway, good film, very competent and solid, but I only feel lukewarm about it.

Edited by sirtacos at 08:17:49 27-09-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Sep 2013 09:07:50 21,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah think I'd agree with all of that.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• simsini 27 Sep 2013 09:11:56 296 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Call - 6/10

Good film for 70 minutes or so, the ending ruined the film for me.

Prisoners - 8/10

Well acted, particularly Hugh Jackman, and didn't feel as long as 2 and a half hours. Huge moral dilemma that was done well.

Edited by simsini at 09:17:05 27-09-2013
  • Deleted user 27 September 2013 14:39:04
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    My problem with Flight is that any time there's stuff going on about the crash, or the investigation into it, it's gripping stuff. As soon as it's anything else, it's like a TV movie about an alcoholic. Felt very disjointed to me.
    Yeah, this is spot on to what I thought. Amazing beginning, horribly boring and predictable aftermath, with a straight up Hollywood portrayal of alcoholism.
  • TheSaint 27 Sep 2013 15:03:58 13,629 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The start was pretty amazing. She's come a long way from hanging round with Earl and Randy.

Edited by TheSaint at 15:04:11 27-09-2013
  • misterm84 27 Sep 2013 15:20:26 71 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    World War Z

Not a very gripping story but I'm a zombie (infected, I know) whore so...

7.5/10
  • killersrquiet 27 Sep 2013 19:30:14 1,387 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    meme wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yeah, this is spot on to what I thought. Amazing beginning, horribly boring and predictable aftermath, with a straight up Hollywood portrayal of alcoholism.
    Couldn't agree more. Great performance from denzel Washington. Anything about the flight was good but the rest of the film dragged and I felt like it was an advert for alcoholics anonymous. The longer the film ran (and it did drag on) the more I got annoyed with denzel's character.
  • RichieTenenbaum 27 Sep 2013 19:44:54 2,157 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sightseers

Ok. I get the Ben Wheatley thing. What a completely oppressive atmosphere this has. Have to watch the rest of his stuff now.

Really worth watching and knowing as little about as possible.
  • BillMurray 28 Sep 2013 13:14:02 7,235 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    World War Z - 8/10

Solid. Lot better than I thought it'd be.
  • TOOTR 28 Sep 2013 15:14:15 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rush

Great film. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't follow F1 so didn't know how the story would play out at all and, i'm sure it's had a nice splash of hollywood paint but don't care if it has.

So this was all going on when I was getting into Star Wars :D

85%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TechnoHippy 28 Sep 2013 21:47:50 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bullhead

I caught a trailer for the this recently and thought it looked interesting, but to be honest I wasn't expecting much, it turns out I was wrong. This is an excellent film. It's a Belgian film that tells the story of Jacky, a man with a troubled past who is now involved with illegal meat trading (that doesn't sound like much, but it does make for an interesting story). He is always pumped up on steroids and is very violent, in fact it's fair to say that he's not a very likeable character.

It's says a lot for the actor and the story that through the course of the film he gets under your skin. You learn about why he became the way he is. In many ways it's an understated film, a character study of Jacky.

The surrounding cast also do a good job in what is essentially a grim tale, there's some nice visual moments as well, although like the film overall these are done in a subtle, unassuming manner. It's a hard film to pin down, it's a tale of a man and the consequences of his choices, it's not exciting, but it is very interesting and most importantly watchable.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 29 September 2013 04:32:26
    Prisoners - 9/10

Pretty damn good, and a very layered film that manages to weave several meaningful strands together pretty tightly. Wouldn't be that surprised to see Oscar nods to Huge Ackman and the Prince of Persia, who both play pretty against type.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Sep 2013 10:12:01 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Savage

Savage is a story about the consequences of violence, it revolves around a young press photographer who suffers a terrible assault in the city where he lives. The attack itself is brutal and leaves scars both physical and mental. It then follows how he handles the experience (not well!) and the ultimnate outcome.

The film is a good watch, the vision of Paul's disintergration is well shown and as the cover blurb says is reminiscent of Taxi Driver, although doesn't really come close in terms of overall quality. That being said it is a solid film and worth watching, the main character is well portrayed and the supporting cast also do a good job.

The events play on some of our fears for those familiar with inner city violence, although it doesn't delve into their existence, it sticks totally to Paul's experience, so they are portrayed mostly as monsters, which from his perspective is reasonable enough.

I thought the end was a little overdone, but it did work in the context of the film and the final scene is quite effective. I did feel for the charcter throughout the film even though he's not a likeable character. Overall this is a decent watch.

6/10

• TarickStonefire 29 Sep 2013 16:32:14 2,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Iron Man 3: 10/10 - easily the best, most fun Iron Man movie. Yes, even better than the first one, which is also a 10, but has less Shane Black magic.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TechnoHippy 29 Sep 2013 17:00:44 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Brick

This is an interesting film, it tells the story of a college kid investigating the death of his ex-girlfriend. What makes it stand out is that the film is presented in the style of film noir, with the teenager in the role of a gumshoe detective. It's a nice idea and follows a similar plot to the investigations with a few twists and turns along the way.

Everyone does a good job in their roles, in particular the lead. Without the style gimmick it's a solid enough film, everyone plays their part and the story unfolds at a decent pace. The style does set it apart, but also proves it undoing.

The issue is that it comes across as a student film with the kids playing roles of the noir style. It's well filmed which does set it up a step higher than that, but still the impression remains. While it does present an interesting juxtaposition it did hamper my enjoyment somewhat.

That leaves it as a film that's a bit tricky to rate, it's a decent enough film, but not as entertaining as it might have been. Still it's not a bad watch by any means and it does stand apart from many other teen movies, so worth checking out.

7/10

• TarickStonefire 29 Sep 2013 19:42:17 2,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    By the guy that did Looper, isn't it? Brick, I mean.

I know what you mean about it coming across all a bit sort of... student film. But I think that's partly because it's set in a high school. You have to take a large leap of faith with that whole concept but I liked that they kept it up throughout, and also that it had such a 50s feel despite the modern day setting. It was a refreshing departure from most films!

Also, I feel like some of the melodrama that comes from the style does a good job of getting across the melodrama of teenage lives. But it's been a while since i saw it!

Edited by TarickStonefire at 19:48:58 29-09-2013

• TarickStonefire 29 Sep 2013 19:45:11 2,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Now You See Me: so awful we couldn't even get halfway. It's set up as a heist movie about a bunch of genius magicians but it's not even remotely grounded in reality. All of the tricks they do are total movie magic bollocks, un-do-able in reality, with no effort made to make them even feel real, so you just stop caring because, well, Hollywood.

And it's so *flat*. These four are supposed to be top magicians, masters of stagecraft, but the way their Las Vegas shows are shot, directed and and performed is just so utterly devoid of excitement, tension, urgency or showmanship, it's just these four Hollywood actors saying things loudly with large pauses between them.

In the end I read what happened so we could turn it off. The end is predictably shit.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 19:46:39 29-09-2013

• Deleted user 29 September 2013 20:15:07
    Yeah, by the end it was just so far beyond "magic tricks" and sleight of hand it became ridiculous.

"For our final magic trick...TECHNOLOGY."

The intrigue of other heist movies like Ocean's Eleven come from how they did it, rather than whether or not they did it at all (after all, it's patently obvious from the start that they'd win). This completely ignores that, making the "how" either plainly obvious or just not even worth bothering with in the first place.

Edited by meme at 20:16:58 29-09-2013
  • kentmonkey 29 Sep 2013 20:18:22 20,076 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fast and the Furious whatever number we're up to now

Wife wanted to watch it, as she enjoyed the previous ones. Even she didn't look overly entertained. Terrible jokes, longest runway in the history of the earth (by my reckoning, at least the circumference of Germany) and a plot that makes Twilight look like a piece of Shakespeare.

3/10
  • Max_Powers 29 Sep 2013 23:47:55 1,065 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TarickStonefire You did yourself a favor turning that tripe off. What a piece of crap that movie was.
  • thelzdking 29 Sep 2013 23:51:59 3,962 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Flight - 6/10

Pretty much what others have said here: Denzel is awesome, the film is formless, the ending is trite.
  • Tonka 30 Sep 2013 07:59:01 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WRT Brick (that's meade by the guy who did Brothers Bloom and Looper)

A lot of people see it as a sort of Bugsy Malone with kids play acting adults and I think that's a big mistake. It's a noir film through and through. It's not a high school film. And just like other noir films characters are exaggerated and events play out in a certain way.

So yes, the high school setting get in the way. But the noir thing isn't a gimmick. Neither is the setting. It's just a new take on noir.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• GuiltySpark 30 Sep 2013 08:01:16 6,281 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    It's just a new take on noir.
    Maybe we should call it "neo-noir"! We should definitely coin that.

Get bent.

• Tonka 30 Sep 2013 08:04:52 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Neon noir is even cooler. Like Blade Runner.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• HarryPalmer 30 Sep 2013 10:36:23 2,630 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blue Jasmine 9/10

Excellent. Really funny, but deeply uncomfortable humour, very dark. Amazing performances all round.
  • Page

of 2587 First / Last