Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2347

• Page

of 2687 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 21 Sep 2013 18:35:15 4,999 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Insidious: Chapter 2

Why did they bother?

... maybe it is just me, but I found some parts of the film to be unintentionally funny! There was a couple two rows down from me who were laughing at the same 'funny' scenes as well.

Aside from a few creepy-weepy moments and one daft jump scare because of an unexpectedly LOUD NOISE, it was unfortunately lacking in any real consistent tension. I think the characters are fairly interesting in the original yet nothing has gone forward in that department therefore I care very little for them by the time the film concludes.

4/10

The first film and The Conjuring are more worthwhile, even if I found the latter to be slightly underwhelming too.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2013 18:51:15
    Insidious and The Conjuring are kind of confusing. More or less the same plot, more or less the same scares, almost the same cast (surely Patrick Wilson has to be sick of doing the same shit over and over again by now? Especially with The Conjuring 2 on the way), same director, same production team, different franchises.
  • Megapocalypse 21 Sep 2013 20:20:38 5,294 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    American Mary - 8/10

Pretty much agree with Beastmasters post a few pages back. Very good film, though I'm not sure its a horror. More a dark drama/comedy.

Katherine Isabelle could operate on me anytime... or something. :-P
  • dominalien 21 Sep 2013 20:41:11 6,802 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oblivion

Whoah, this was rather good, the corny Hollywood ending notwithstanding. I especially liked the tech in this, the drones were awesome.

Highly recommended.

9/10

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 21 September 2013 21:02:04
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    You score films in a very weird way. FYEO better than LALD? Madness!
    I stand by my scores. If anything FYEO needs to be up'ed by 1 point. LALD hasn't aged well. Having watched it the other night, it seems really quite poor. FYEO on the other hand, seems a more balanced film, and better all round.

Edited by blacksea at 09:40:58 22-09-2013
  • Deleted user 22 September 2013 09:26:26
    Carancho

An Argentinian film, about 'Caranchos' (Vultures) who are mediators to ensure that car accident victims (mainly the poor) get as much money from insurance companies, except they exploit the victims to get the lions share of the money. The police, Medical profession and insurance companies are all in on the act.

The film follows Sosa, an ex lawyer, after having his license revoked, becomes a vulture, ambulance chasing, where after the scene of one accident, meets Lujan, a young idealised, hard working paramedic, just out of medical school, trying to earn her place.

They instantly hit it off, as sosa seeks a way out of the dishonesty waiting for his license to become valid again. Both leads are deeply troubled, Lujan, is overworked in understaffed, dirty, and horrendous conditions ( You will say thank fuck we have the NHS), who often has to take to the needle to get through the days.

At each turn, as they try to get out of the situations they are in, they are forced back into worse situations, and what becomes, is a tight film noir thriller.

I really enjoyed this, once i got my head around the set up - not sure if i was a bit slow, or you do have to wait 40 mins odd to realise the full extent of what happening, but what follows is very good, and i enjoyed it a lot. Ricardo Darin, and Matina Gusman are both excellent as the leads.

The film is very bleak though, from the accident filled streets of beuno aires, the dirty, artificial lighted hospitals to the flawed main characters and corrupt officials. Not going to to be for everyone.

8/10

All though i would like to watch it again pretty soon with the set up pretty much in my head to see how it holds together, i think it would improve the film.

Edited by joelstinton at 09:28:37 22-09-2013
  • TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2013 09:55:37 14,693 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cargo

This is a rather excellent German science fiction film. The world has become uninhabitable through ecological failure, humanity has escaped into orbit and lives in overcrowded space stations. Their only escape is the new colony on Rhea, a planet paradise. Travel to this colony is expansive so a young daughter desperate to rejoin her family signs up for an 8 year voyage hauling cargo to the colony. On her solitary shift on the ship she thinks that she's not alone and discovers that what they are transporting isn't what they thought.

The film opens with a glorious shot of the space station in Earth orbit, a veritable city in space. It's a wonderful opening sequence and while the rest of the film has a more claustrophobic feel it certainly drags you in to the world it creates.

It also does a good job of the voyage, the life aboard ship is lonely and stressful, but doesn't drag too long before the story gets going. From that point it builds with some effective tension, the audio design adds to the atmosphere, in fact it reminded me of Dead Space in that respect.

For me there were only minor issues with the film, first and foremost was while the future tech looked good, it also lacked a practical aspect that jars slightly. Not a big issue, but hard sci-fi buffs will notice it.

Overall though it is an excellent watch, one I'm happy to recommend.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Gunzberg 22 Sep 2013 10:00:26 1,618 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I lked cargo too

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• spindle9988 22 Sep 2013 10:23:29 3,479 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why is no one watching rush? Go see it you fools
  • Gruff 22 Sep 2013 10:29:48 2,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Safe House 6/10 Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington on good form but a twist that you could see a mile off . Brutal action scenes, it was just ok all in all

Samsara 8/10 Kaleidoscopic feast for the eyes, left me thinking what a weird species we are.

Edited by Gruff at 11:35:42 22-09-2013

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Deleted user 22 September 2013 10:34:23
    Magic Mike 5/10

Meandered too much and there wasn't enough cock.
  • Load_2.0 22 Sep 2013 10:44:04 18,721 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carancho and Cargo sound great, thanks for the heads up.
  • Tonka 22 Sep 2013 11:25:44 19,994 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is the end

Massive disaster traps a bunch of celebrities in a house in LA. Stoner humor ensues.

Didn't do it for me at all. I remember laughing a lot at Pineapple Express but this one was a dud. I'm no fan of rape jokes either.

At least there were some very cool special effects.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 22 September 2013 16:46:51
    Die Another Day (2002) 6/10 ..has a couple of 8/10 moments

Got to admit I’m no fan of Pierce Brosnan, and only watched this as it was part of a Bond box set (containing 6 Bond films). The Blu-ray quality looks good, sound too is good, the story is mediocre at best. The Bond opening sequence is average, and the theme tune really not all that great. Halle Berry has the body of a Bond girl, but there’s something lacking compared to other great Bond girls. As great as Michael Madsen is, he really didn’t add much, and if anything, came across cartoon like. North Korea, Cuba, Iceland, made for good locations. Most Bond gadgets seem do-able, but a transparent car seems a bit on the far fetched side.

Around the 1hr mark, Die Another Day starts bear the hallmarks that made Never Say Never Again the not so great film it was. Somehow Rowan Atkinson managed to get his face into that one ?

How did Madonna make it into Die Another Day?
    I knew it was her, but double checked on IMDb. Sure enough, they list Madonna as playing Verity (uncredited). Madonna, uncredited ?

The sword fighting scene is ridiculously OTT, even by Bond standards. It’s comical. Things get worse just after this scene, when show jumper Oliver Skeete shows up? How the fuck did he get into a bond film? - who’s next to appear ? Come on down, John Cleese.

Edited by blacksea at 18:59:57 22-09-2013
  • Deleted user 22 September 2013 17:01:37
    dominalien wrote:
    Oblivion

Whoah, this was rather good, the corny Hollywood ending notwithstanding. I especially liked the tech in this, the drones were awesome.

Highly recommended.

9/10

It looked gorgeous at the cinema
  • Trowel 22 Sep 2013 17:28:26 17,362 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rush - 6/10

A phenomenal technical achievement to genuinely capture and recreate not only the raw grit and grime of the events, but also the era itself.

However the dialogue is terrible, embarrassing in places. Full of clichés, metaphors, and worst of all the characters speak with stilted, knowing hindsight as though it were some sort of comic book adaptation.

Hunt vs. Lauda was one of those incredible stories where you might hear, "If it were a movie you wouldn't believe it." - and unfortunately in places it seems Ron Howard wants to take you in that direction.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2013 17:44:07 14,693 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iron Man 3

I enjoyed the previous two films and this proved no exception. It's no classic, but it is a fun watch. In this film it's not just Tony Stark who's been tinkering, he's up against someone who has been conducting his own experiments. The principal bad guy is terrorist seemingly with the ability to strike anywhere, including Stark's home when he brashly issues a challenge on live TV.

Stark shows a bit more of a human side in this film, revealing a few flaws, nothing too dramatic, but it just adds another dimension to the film. As with the previous films Stark is the star of the show, he's funny, but nothing we haven't seen before.

The bad guy is ok, solid enough but again nothing that really stands out. A fun watch for a couple of hours but nothing more.

6/10

• RobAnybody 22 Sep 2013 17:59:56 877 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Insidious: Chapter 2

Why did they bother?

... maybe it is just me, but I found some parts of the film to be unintentionally funny! There was a couple two rows down from me who were laughing at the same 'funny' scenes as well.

Aside from a few creepy-weepy moments and one daft jump scare because of an unexpectedly LOUD NOISE, it was unfortunately lacking in any real consistent tension. I think the characters are fairly interesting in the original yet nothing has gone forward in that department therefore I care very little for them by the time the film concludes.

4/10

The first film and The Conjuring are more worthwhile, even if I found the latter to be slightly underwhelming too.
    If you hated Insidious 2 (and other 'films' of this cheap jump-scare ilk) you'll like this Kermode video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/posts/Cattle-Prod-Cinema
  • BeebleB 22 Sep 2013 18:09:44 860 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hansel and Gretel

Above average Korean horror. Started well and was geniunely a little creepy for the first half of the film but the ending wasn't terribly effective in my opinion.

6.5/10
  • Maturin 22 Sep 2013 18:22:07 2,874 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oblivion 8/10

Really good film. Looks absolutely beautiful - Ridley Scott good in fact.

I enjoyed the story. I guessed some of it at one point, but there were still plenty of twists and turns along the way. I liked the theme of what makes us what we are - memories. It made me think of the Dune series and Duncan Idaho's ghola.

Cruise was good - but then he usually is. The rest of the casting was interesting - I liked the lass who played Vic.

Not often we get smart sci-fi these days. Reminded me of the kind of sci-fi that occasionally popped up in the seventies between 2001 and Star Wars.

Edited by Maturin at 18:23:05 22-09-2013
  • graysonavich 22 Sep 2013 18:25:09 7,264 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's teh first time I've heard Oblivion being referred to as smart Sci-Fi :)
  • Maturin 22 Sep 2013 18:28:05 2,874 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    It's hardly running around shooting aliens is it? It's a slower burn film with some interesting themes. It's not a complicated story but that doesn't make it unintelligent. Silent Running, The Andromeda Strain - similarly simple in concept, but smart about how they go about things.

Compare with Prometheus. Shared Oblivions beauty but there was a lack of intelligence in the characters and what was expected of the audience.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Sep 2013 19:49:44 14,693 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Compliance

This is a weird film, it's based on true events (apparently) and explores how people will blindly obey authority. It's not a bad idea and starts with the manageress of a small fast food restaurant receiving a phone call from a police officer who explains that one of her staff has committed a crime. From that point he issues a series of quite frankly absurd instructions which the manageress and some of the staff comply with.

I can't fault the film as such, the cast do a good job with what they have. It tells the story well and effectively, however the real problem is the stupidity of it. It's hard to comprehend how ridiculous the events are. Anyone with any sense wouldn't have obeyed if the policeman had been stood in front of them, let alone an unidentified voice over the phone.

So the film is fine, but I ended up shouting at the screen at the stupidity of it, so for your own sake I'd give this a miss, unless of course you like watching stupid people doing stupid things for no sensible reason.

4/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 19:50:14 22-09-2013

• Megapocalypse 22 Sep 2013 20:20:21 5,294 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Collector - 4/10

After watching The Collection last week and finding out it was a sequel I decided to watch the first one. It actually manages to be worse. As well as being boring the whole plot makes no sense:

A thief breaks into a house to steal a jewel or something. But he finds someone else has already gone in first. A killer has broken in and tied up the family members in the basement to torture and kill them. He's then rigged the house full of traps which the thief has to navigate. But who's he rigged them for? He can't of known the thief was going to break in.

388 Arletta Avenue - 3/10

Potentially interesting premise made really boring. Its a 'found footage' type film shown from hidden cameras a stalker has rigged up in a couples' house, car and somehow the guy's work place. After a few 'pranks' the wife goes missing and the husband gets suspicious, trying to work out whats going on.

The main problem is hes an unlikable twat and it actually seems more likely that the wife has left him rather than been kidnapped. Everyone else in the film is also an unlikable idiot, with no one behaving in a realistic way.

I need to watch some better films...
  • speedofthepuma 22 Sep 2013 22:34:48 13,263 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TechnoHippy I believe that the film is either based on a true story or a similar experiment, so the flaw is in people's willingness to follow authority rather than plot contrivances.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• RobAnybody 22 Sep 2013 22:53:21 877 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    It certainly TRIES to be intelligent, but is let down a bit by some typical Hollywood clichés and a sappy audience-pleasing ending. Would love to have seen this made by Kubrick - he would have stripped out the cack parts and made something truly great out of it.

As it is I think I could stretch to a 7/10.
  • dominalien 22 Sep 2013 23:06:58 6,802 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Oblivion

Highly recommended.

9/10

It looked gorgeous at the cinema
    It looked rather great on my wall as well! :-)

Edit: I really should read what I've written before I post, even if it's just one sentence. :S

Edited by dominalien at 23:07:43 22-09-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• Megapocalypse 23 Sep 2013 08:36:04 5,294 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cargo - 8/10

Enjoyed that. A really good sci-fi. The opening shots of the city are fantastic. It actually looks massive and the story of place people could actually live. The inside of the ship is well done covering the sense of both its huge size and claustrophobia.

A good plot that gets going pretty quickly after a suitably quiet start.
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Sep 2013 10:35:10 1,559 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    It's hardly running around shooting aliens is it? It's a slower burn film with some interesting themes. It's not a complicated story but that doesn't make it unintelligent. Silent Running, The Andromeda Strain - similarly simple in concept, but smart about how they go about things.

Compare with Prometheus. Shared Oblivions beauty but there was a lack of intelligence in the characters and what was expected of the audience.
    I would agree with you on that. I used to read a lot of sf ( both short fiction and novels ) and while watching this I felt like it was a proper sf story. I really enjoyed it a lot. It helps that it looks amazing too. It's certainly not perfect but I thought it was very good. 8/10 for me.
  • Tonka 23 Sep 2013 10:48:39 19,994 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only bit I didn't like was when Mr Game of Thrones started driving that big ass tractor and what that (unsurprisingly) resulted in.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 2687 First / Last