Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2344

• Page

of 2704 First / Last

• Megapocalypse 16 Sep 2013 10:46:45 5,309 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Argo - 7/10

It was well done and I liked it, however I felt it lacked any real tension.
  • kalel 16 Sep 2013 10:50:14 86,325 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Despite trying desperately hard to inject tension at every conceivable moment.
  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2013 10:50:33 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Byzantium - A vampire film by Neil Jordan (Crying Game, Mona Lisa), so you know its not exactly going to be Underworld, but I didnt quite expect it to be *that* much of traditional British Tale of Misery.

Two female vampires live the most depressing existence you could imagine two immortals living, with the younger of the two desperate to break out of the shadow of the older one. She does this with the aid of the ginger guy who played Banshee in X-Men first class, whos irish accent was terrible in that, but fuck knows what he is supposed to be in this. It sounds like he has had a stroke and its incredibly distracting.

But the mythology is good, bringing an interesting twist to the modern vampire and the story is generally well told. It drags a bit in the middle but its worth a watch.

7/10
    I really, really want to see this, but purely because it was filmed in Hastings - setting for some of my favourite childhood holidays :-)
    Its worth a watch. As a sweetener, you get to see one of Gemma Artertons nips.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 16 Sep 2013 10:53:49 27,122 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Despite trying desperately hard to inject tension at every conceivable moment.
    I'd actually put it as Afflecks weakest film to be honest. Still surpised it won the the Oscar over ZDtirty
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Sep 2013 11:12:04 23,168 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Just watched it, excellent dumb action film. Stupid story and funny at points for the wrong reasons but lots of good fighting and plenty of fuck yeah team America moments. Plus butler's smoking.

I got as far as the attack on the white house and was so bored by then I switched off. I've heard it's good when he's alone doing the one liners etc but I just couldn't take anymore. If such a massive assault scene can be dull as you know they've really mucked it up.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• RedSparrows 16 Sep 2013 12:37:45 21,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moon.

Not quite what I wanted, but still a good flick. Not brilliant, but I enjoyed it. Mansell's soundtrack, as per, great.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 18:14:34
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Moon.

Not quite what I wanted, but still a good flick. Not brilliant, but I enjoyed it. Mansell's soundtrack, as per, great.
    I quite liked Moon. I expected more, or something different to what the twist offered.
  • kalel 16 Sep 2013 18:33:34 86,325 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was brilliant. Probably my favourite film of the last ten years along with Let the Right One In.
  • Bremenacht 16 Sep 2013 19:00:17 17,600 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Moon.

I quite liked Moon. I expected more, or something different to what the twist offered.
    It wasn't really about the twist though.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 20:22:05
    Thunderball(1965) 8/10 (Blu-ray)

I’ve seen this before, the Blu-ray really adds so much more detail. Excellent picture quality. As with Dr. No (the Blu-ray) the audio has some issues, vocals are lo-volume, music and SFX are set too high. Good to see the use of real sharks, and not Cgi/Robot efforts.

Needless things include, speeded up film footage used from time to time, scenes acted in front of pre recorded footage, which looks particularly poor during the end with the boat heading towards the rocks. Something else that was clearly obvious, during the scene that sees Bond swim past a shark in the swimming pool, it was clearly a stuntman during some shots. There are also some moments during some outside scene’s where there is dirt on the lens. Niggles aside, the film has aged well, not that I was alive back when it was made.

Edited by blacksea at 20:26:56 16-09-2013
  • Punctum 16 Sep 2013 20:31:21 931 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Moon.

It surprises me that 'it' is perceived as a twist.

Great film. Big fan of Sam Rockwell
  • beastmaster 16 Sep 2013 21:26:13 11,159 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Night Vision - 4/10

A reality show producer ends up sleeping with a women and getting a lot more than he bargained for.

If you watch the trailer for this film. it's quite deceiving. You get the impression that this is going to be one of those film where the dude gets tortured badly. It's nothing like that at all. If it wasn't for the constant bonking it would probably be an afternoon film shown on a TV channel you've never heard of. Or Netlix US which is where I watched it.

The plot has good a good idea or two in there and it's not unwatchable. By that I mean I couldn't be arsed to do anything else. Not even select another film.

Obsession - 8/10

Underrated Brian De Palma film which tells the story of a wealthy businessman whose wife and daughter are tragically killed. Years later he encounters a woman who bears a striking resemblance to his deceased wife.

This is one of De Palmas best films. As usual, it's got great camera work, a bombastic score and some tremendous performances from the cast. What is a bit different is that the plot is fairly straightforward. Not the usual levels of De Palma insanity here but John Lithgow is on hand to give the film some serious ham.

An excellent thriller that's well worth watching. Special mention to the Arrow video blu-ray presentation both in the package and the transfer/extras. I can link to it but the page gives too much away with regards the plot, so I'm not going to.

The Wild Bunch - 9/10

Sam Peckinpah's classic western tells the story of an ageing group of outlaws and the men who are sent to hunt them down.

The film really doesn't have that much a plot but it doesn't matter. This film is all about the characters, the atmosphere, the cinematography, the action and, of course, the violence.

The shootouts in this film are bloody, brutal and still incredible violent, even by today's standards. The stunts (remember them?) are remarkable. One scene on a bridge is a particular highlight.

One of the greatest westerns ever made.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• DUFFMAN5 16 Sep 2013 22:54:04 14,392 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Star Trek into Darkness
    Loved it.
    [100%]
    After enjoying the above so much, we decided to re-watchStar Trek the first one, well the origins one.
    Excellent once again
    100%

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• IronGiant 16 Sep 2013 23:14:51 4,473 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Star Trek Into Darkness - 7/10 Good film though i thought the ending was a bit of a letdown. Nice lead into the next film(s).

Iron Man 3 - 3/10 Mainly for the SFX which were good as always, the film itself was awful. I loved the first movie and enjoyed the second but this one is a mess, the 'twist' was pants.
  • shooter 16 Sep 2013 23:25:48 394 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is the End - 9/10

Deadly, best comedy ive seen in years. James Franco, Danny McBride and Jonah Hill were the standouts for me but everyone was in good form. Perfect film with a few drinks and a smoke
  • RedSparrows 16 Sep 2013 23:26:11 21,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Moon.

It surprises me that 'it' is perceived as a twist.

Great film. Big fan of Sam Rockwell
    Yeah, I didn't really see it as a 'twist', as the explanation seemed fairly obvious given the situation. That or he was just going loopy. I do think that, as with Source Code, it had a nice, but, somewhat unlikely, happy ending - in a sense.. It was about more than any revelation, which I did like.

Edited by RedSparrows at 23:26:24 16-09-2013
  • Bremenacht 16 Sep 2013 23:32:47 17,600 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I liked the end - the sacrifice of one's self in order to help one's self, and how one's self recognised the futility in one's self and chose to help one's self instead.
  • khaz 17 Sep 2013 03:26:38 2,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

The Wild Bunch - 9/10

Sam Peckinpah's classic western tells the story of an ageing group of outlaws and the men who are sent to hunt them down.

The film really doesn't have that much a plot but it doesn't matter. This film is all about the characters, the atmosphere, the cinematography, the action and, of course, the violence.

The shootouts in this film are bloody, brutal and still incredible violent, even by today's standards. The stunts (remember them?) are remarkable. One scene on a bridge is a particular highlight.

One of the greatest films ever made.
    Fixed.
  • mrpon 17 Sep 2013 08:44:06 28,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hobbit - UK Netflix - iPad - Headphones

Laugh at the iPad reference in the title, but I think I have a valid point to make. Does the viewing medium effect the enjoyment output? I recently caught a bit of the Hobbit playing on a meaty screen at John Lewis and the visuals jarred with me. After watching it on the small screen, I think I enjoyed it more. At no point did I think this looks fake/CGI etc..

Anyway, a bit bloaty and the handsome dwarves looked a bit out of place. Lovely set pieces though and nice to see the old characters again. Looking forward to part two.

7.5/10

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• kalel 17 Sep 2013 08:47:13 86,325 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's more the channel as opposed to the medium. The medium is film.

Sorry :p
  • Tonka 17 Sep 2013 08:58:05 20,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's more the channel as opposed to the medium. The medium is film.

Sorry :p
    If you show me an iPad capable of playing film I'm going to give you a lifetime supply of Jaffa Cakes.

/you've made your bed

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kalel 17 Sep 2013 09:00:12 86,325 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    film
    /film/
    Noun
    A thin flexible strip of plastic or other material coated with light-sensitive emulsion for exposure in a camera.

Verb

Capture on film as part of a series of moving images; make a movie of (a story or event).

Synonyms
    noun. movie - membrane - motion picture - picture
    verb. shoot - screen

Shall I PM you my address?
  • Load_2.0 17 Sep 2013 09:21:59 18,878 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    me·di·um (md-m)
    n. pl. me·di·a (-d-) or me·di·ums
    1. Something, such as an intermediate course of action, that occupies a position or represents a condition midway between extremes.
    2. An intervening substance through which something else is transmitted or carried on.
    3. An agency by which something is accomplished, conveyed, or transferred: The train was the usual medium of transportation in those days.
    4. pl. media Usage Problem
    a. A means of mass communication, such as newpapers, magazines, radio, or television.
    b. media (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The group of journalists and others who constitute the communications industry and profession.
    5. pl. media Computer Science An object or device, such as a disk, on which data is stored.
    6. pl. mediums A person thought to have the power to communicate with the spirits of the dead or with agents of another world or dimension. Also called psychic.
    7. pl. media
    a. A surrounding environment in which something functions and thrives.
    b. The substance in which a specific organism lives and thrives.
    c. A culture medium.
    a. A specific kind of artistic technique or means of expression as determined by the materials used or the creative methods involved: the medium of lithography.
    b. The materials used in a specific artistic technique: oils as a medium.
    9. A solvent with which paint is thinned to the proper consistency.
    10. Chemistry A filtering substance, such as filter paper.
    11. A size of paper, usually 18 × 23 inches or 17 1/2 × 22 inches.
  • Load_2.0 17 Sep 2013 09:24:56 18,878 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • kalel 17 Sep 2013 09:26:34 86,325 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hate clothes that come in small, medium, large etc. Why do that? Why not just put the actual size on, rather than a meaningless categorisation that isn't standardised?
  • nickthegun 17 Sep 2013 09:30:09 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TRUE DAT! Im an XL in everything but XXXL in superdry. NON-STANDARDISM!

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 17 Sep 2013 09:43:45 43,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Superdry and especially A&F have definitely downsized their sizes recently as well. Either that or they sell on a different scale in the States.

Which come to think of it is probably true.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 17 Sep 2013 09:45:26 86,325 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's even more ridiculous in the age of internet shopping. I need to know both the actual size, and also the fit (slim, baggy etc). Medium means fuck all.
  • Deckard1 17 Sep 2013 09:46:28 27,122 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    See what you've started pon
  • -cerberus- 17 Sep 2013 10:34:42 2,409 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got the following Jean-Pierre Jeunet (big fan here) blu rays in the mail yesterday:

Delicatessen

Impressive feature-length debut! Disturbing yet clever and entertaining story.

Image quality is nothing short of perfect.

9/10

Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amélie Poulin (aka Amelie)

Absolutely stunning picture quality; crisp image, rich and vibrant colours.
    As for the movie itself: it's incredibly well-written, all the characters have memorable personalities (both good & bad), and the soundtrack is just wonderful. It can be a bit too - how shall I put it? - French in some spots, but at its core it's genuinely sweet and touching.

9.5/10

Micmacs à tire-larigot (aka Micmacs)

No doubt a lovely movie with Jean-Pierre Jeunet's signature style written all over it and well worth a watch, but it's much too quirky for my tastes. Lovely image quality here as well.

6/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Page

of 2704 First / Last