Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2343

• Page

of 2710 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 15 Sep 2013 21:44:10 23,291 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jurassic Park IMAX - 10/10

Primal Fear - 7/10

Olympus Has Fallen - 3/10 (for opening 30 minutes, switched it off after that. Horrible, with really bad CG, was like watching a PS1 FMV)

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• mrpon 15 Sep 2013 22:03:29 28,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    3/10 (for opening 30 minutes..
    So by that rationale...

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Bremenacht 15 Sep 2013 22:41:34 17,613 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That sounds of cinema programme is repeating on BBC4 at the mo.
  • graysonavich 15 Sep 2013 23:29:27 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Olympus has fallen can't be taken too seriously. It's actually quite fun to laugh at.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2013 23:38:08
    Just watched it, excellent dumb action film. Stupid story and funny at points for the wrong reasons but lots of good fighting and plenty of fuck yeah team America moments. Plus butler's smoking.

• oceanmotion 15 Sep 2013 23:44:01 15,662 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't get the hate.

Cool what if film that isn't completely insulting, embarrassing, cringe worthy like the recent White House Down from that disaster film hack. That deserves real hate.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2013 23:44:04
    The Hunt

harrowing /10

Just like Snowtown its one of those films i'm definitely glad that I watched but man, my stomach was in knots throughout it. Mads Mikelsen was fantastic.
  • oceanmotion 15 Sep 2013 23:47:23 15,662 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Will have to seek that one out. On Netflix or cinema?
  • Deleted user 15 September 2013 23:56:03
    @oceanmotion Its on Netflix man.
  • Bremenacht 15 Sep 2013 23:56:48 17,613 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Netflix.
  • BillMurray 16 Sep 2013 01:10:57 7,621 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The World's End - 5/10

Pretty rubbish to be honest. Felt more like a shit episode of Dr. Who.
  • Tonka 16 Sep 2013 06:15:44 20,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chasing Mavericks
    As recommended by someone on here

It's Karate Kid (the original) but with big wave surfing instead of karate, and I absolutely loved it. Poor acting at times, predictable as hell, great soundtrack, awesome surf footage every now and then and even some really scary nature shots.

Makes me hate myself even more for not trying surfing. Enters mid-life crisis

well worth seeing

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 16 September 2013 07:40:44
    Dr. No (1962) Blu-ray

As a film, which i hadn't seen before, it's was really quite ok, even if there were one or two moments that might have made sense in 1962, the speeded up footage of the chair, and the scene that see's Bond driving in front of what obviously is film footage of a car in hot pursuit.

Excellent picture quality. The audio has some issues, vocals are lo-volume, music and SFX are set too high. Weird.

Edited by blacksea at 07:41:23 16-09-2013
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 08:20:10
    Rush

Based on the true story of the grand prix rivalry between Niki Lauda and Austin Powers in the 1970's.

Bit like Apollo 13 in the sense that most people know what happens but its still exciting!

Reviews have said it plays to the gallery a bit and always takes the most commercial choices. I guess that's true but its still a tremendous film!

8/10
  • grey_matters 16 Sep 2013 08:37:09 3,676 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Rush

Based on the true story of the grand prix rivalry between Niki Lauda and Austin Powers in the 1970's.

Bit like Apollo 13 in the sense that most people know what happens but its still exciting!

Reviews have said it plays to the gallery a bit and always takes the most commercial choices. I guess that's true but its still a tremendous film!

8/10
    :)
  • kalel 16 Sep 2013 08:39:02 86,409 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Place Beyond the Pines

I loved this. Didn't really know anything about it, other than it having something to do with bank robberies and motorbikes from the trailer, but actually it was a proper modern epic with a very different approach to storytelling and some heavyweight performances. Won't say too much about it as I think the reason I enjoyed it so much was that I knew little about it, but highly recommended.

My one gripe is that America needs some uglier leading actors. It's just ridiculous to have a film set in the middle of nowhere, with poor immigrants and carnies who look like Eva Mendez and Ryan Gosling. Please. I've seen carnies. They do not look like Ryan Gosling. If that film had been English and a 'kitchen sink' type thing we'd have had some realistically normal looking people in the roles, and it does help with the believability. But anyway that minor gripe aside, it was great.

9/10
  • JiveHound 16 Sep 2013 08:47:11 2,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    The Hunt

harrowing /10

Just like Snowtown its one of those films i'm definitely glad that I watched but man, my stomach was in knots throughout it. Mads Mikelsen was fantastic.
    Watched this last night.

Really good, affecting film and extremely relevant in todays paedopocalypse. People lose their shit over accusations thus potentially destroying a person's life in the process.

A good companion to The Woodcutter yet I wouldn't want to watch them together.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• -cerberus- 16 Sep 2013 08:49:54 2,445 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JiveHound You mean The Woodsman with Kevin Bacon? :D

Edited by -cerberus- at 08:50:07 16-09-2013

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• JiveHound 16 Sep 2013 08:50:55 2,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    kalel wrote:
    The Place Beyond the Pines

I loved this. Didn't really know anything about it, other than it having something to do with bank robberies and motorbikes from the trailer, but actually it was a proper modern epic with a very different approach to storytelling and some heavyweight performances. Won't say too much about it as I think the reason I enjoyed it so much was that I knew little about it, but highly recommended.

My one gripe is that America needs some uglier leading actors. It's just ridiculous to have a film set in the middle of nowhere, with poor immigrants and carnies who look like Eva Mendez and Ryan Gosling. Please. I've seen carnies. They do not look like Ryan Gosling. If that film had been English and a 'kitchen sink' type thing we'd have had some realistically normal looking people in the roles, and it does help with the believability. But anyway that minor gripe aside, it was great.

9/10
    Pretty much echoed my thoughts there although the Hollywoodness didn't bother me so much.

I didn't know anything about it going in other than it's by the director of Blue Valentine which I enjoyed.

Great, surprisingly told film. Very easy to recommend. First film Cooper hasn't made me want to chin him in too which is nice.

• JiveHound 16 Sep 2013 08:53:23 2,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    @JiveHound You mean The Woodsman with Kevin Bacon? :D
    Haha! Knew I got that wrong. Yeah that. Good film, lends weight to the argument that paedos need help like any other mentally ill person.

And now I'm thinking of that scene in Little Children with Rorschach's self operation.

Happy times.

• kalel 16 Sep 2013 08:53:43 86,409 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It doesn't really bother me, it's just one of those stupid things about Hollywood movies. It's more about American audiences than anything else. You can make a film as grittily realistic as you like as long as there's unrealistically sexy people in it.
  • Dougs 16 Sep 2013 08:54:07 66,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heard lots of good things about that, will keep an eye out for it.

Dredd - 7/10. I probably watched it a bit too soon after The Raid. It was OK, but I couldn't help but compare it unfavourably. Brilliant casting for Ma Ma though, ace choice. Not a Dredd fan, so can't really comment on its accuracy etc.
  • JiveHound 16 Sep 2013 08:58:42 2,346 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    kalel wrote:
    It doesn't really bother me, it's just one of those stupid things about Hollywood movies. It's more about American audiences than anything else. You can make a film as grittily realistic as you like as long as there's unrealistically sexy people in it.
    I totally agree with what you're saying, I'm a fan of the more naturalistic approach. I think the way the story was told went a long way to distract from the Alister cast.

I am a fan of Gosling mind.

• glaeken 16 Sep 2013 09:28:53 11,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Master - 7/10 - Enjoyable enough but suffered from some extremely difficult to hear dialog. Joaquin Phoenix was great but was also the main offender on the mubbling front.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 09:35:16
    The Conjuring 82%

A real enjoyable ghost story. It s formulaic as hell but still very enjoyable only really let down by the last act. I liked how it didn't over use the physical manefistations of the ghosts too much but thought that the design of the doll and witch were a bit cliched.

You're Next 95%

This was a real surprise. Felt like Hotline Miami got mashed up with the Evil Dead and has some great funny moments as well as serious tension. The basic pot of it is that a family is having a reunion when their dinner comes under siege by masked lunatics. Great banter between the characters and for my money had a lot more heart than most of the moves I watched this year ( glares at Evil Dead remake ).

Hellraiser II Hellbound 50%

Schmeh. Plays more like a tv show than a sequel with a lot of flashbacks to the first film. I think the setting ( a mental hospital ) is great and it had a promising first half with the doctor obsessed with the lament configuration but it swiftly nosedives in the second half with said doctor getting some truly atrocious catchphrases. Still its better than 3.

The Place beyond the Pines 75%

I enjoyed it but I thought Bradley Coopers arc was the weakest of the three. The scene with Ben Mendehlson waggling the dog in front of Gosling cracked me up gaining it an extra 10%.
  • Load_2.0 16 Sep 2013 09:47:03 18,919 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paul.

What I expected really, just had a made for SiFi channel feel to it, with a big cast and a reasonable budget.

Not bad just not that good.

5/10.
  • imamazed 16 Sep 2013 09:56:38 5,524 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Paul.

What I expected really, just had a made for SiFi channel feel to it, with a big cast and a reasonable budget.

Not bad just not that good.

5/10.
    Was just gonna write about this. I saw it when it first came out, and then again last night on 4.

I actually really like the film, and it's really entertaining. It's just...well, not funny enough. Its heart is in the right place, but it just lacks something special.
  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2013 09:58:48 58,850 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Byzantium - A vampire film by Neil Jordan (Crying Game, Mona Lisa), so you know its not exactly going to be Underworld, but I didnt quite expect it to be *that* much of traditional British Tale of Misery.

Two female vampires live the most depressing existence you could imagine two immortals living, with the younger of the two desperate to break out of the shadow of the older one. She does this with the aid of the ginger guy who played Banshee in X-Men first class, whos irish accent was terrible in that, but fuck knows what he is supposed to be in this. It sounds like he has had a stroke and its incredibly distracting.

But the mythology is good, bringing an interesting twist to the modern vampire and the story is generally well told. It drags a bit in the middle but its worth a watch.

7/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Blakester 16 Sep 2013 10:24:30 3,578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Byzantium - A vampire film by Neil Jordan (Crying Game, Mona Lisa), so you know its not exactly going to be Underworld, but I didnt quite expect it to be *that* much of traditional British Tale of Misery.

Two female vampires live the most depressing existence you could imagine two immortals living, with the younger of the two desperate to break out of the shadow of the older one. She does this with the aid of the ginger guy who played Banshee in X-Men first class, whos irish accent was terrible in that, but fuck knows what he is supposed to be in this. It sounds like he has had a stroke and its incredibly distracting.

But the mythology is good, bringing an interesting twist to the modern vampire and the story is generally well told. It drags a bit in the middle but its worth a watch.

7/10
    I really, really want to see this, but purely because it was filmed in Hastings - setting for some of my favourite childhood holidays :-)

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• TheSaint 16 Sep 2013 10:34:10 14,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked The Place Beyond The Pines until the third act where it seemed to totally lose it's way.
  • Page

of 2710 First / Last