Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2342

• Page

of 2845 First / Last

• Deleted user 14 September 2013 20:38:47
    Alps (2011) 5/10 for idea 9/10 for acting

Alps is odd. Look is all i did, for a full 90 mins. Original - yes. Good? - i'll leave that up to you. I doubt i could watch it a second time, nor would i want to.

• TechnoHippy 14 Sep 2013 20:52:33 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Olympus Has Fallen

Someone obviously watched Die Hard and thought I can make that better and sillier. They managed the sillier. It started well and I fooled myself into thinking that maybe this was something a little more than the trailer suggested.

I was very wrong.

From the moment the attack starts you really have to work hard to ignore how ridiculous the set up is, it starts with a tooled up Hercules taking out two F-22's with side facing miniguns with what amounts to an aerial sucker punch. It just gets sillier from that point on.

Ok, so it's not a thriller, it's a silly action film, I don't mind that. On this score it does deliver. There's some fun sequences and good moves, but nothing more than that. The characters are one dimensional and the story predictable. Surprisingly for a film with this level of budget some of the CG work for the initial attack is poor, although once the action is in the White House it's not so obvious.

The action just about lifts the film from poor to average, but to be honest, you're better off watching something else.

4/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• spindle9988 14 Sep 2013 21:01:17 3,666 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    All this talk about Rush just makes me want to watch Senna again, though I'm not sure I can cope with crying that much all over again.
    I loved the senna doc as well. Rush was almost a perfect film though. Ron Howard gave an emotional connection to a film that almost didn't need one. I have honestly never seen a film like that where I was so gripped to the seat and wanted to know even more about their lives. You could watch it without any previous knowledge of F1 and still come away with such a buzz

Edited by spindle9988 at 18:25:02 15-09-2013
  • altitude2k 14 Sep 2013 21:12:16 4,842 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    All this talk about Rush just makes me want to watch Senna again, though I'm not sure I can cope with crying that much all over again.
    I loved the senna doc as well. Rush was almost a perfect film though. Ron Howard gave an emotional connection to a film that almost didn't need one. I have honestly never seen a film like that where I was so gripped to the seat and wanted to know even more about their lives. You could watch it., without any previous knowledge of F1 and still come away with such a buzz
    Good job, really. Otherwise it wouldn't do so well over the pond.
  • Carlo 14 Sep 2013 21:34:15 18,182 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now You See Me.

Where do I begin! Pretentious self-serving bollocks is the best way I can describe it. Utter crap and OTT American shit.

1/10 (and I always try to find a bright side to films!).

Edited by Carlo at 21:34:25 14-09-2013

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 14 September 2013 22:54:10
    Angel-A

Love it, seen it before but just watched it again. Such a wonderful film and not a cheesy as American films that have love in the story.

Superbly acted and beautifully shot. Almost every time I watch a foreign film I think how much better the stories are.

• consoledelight 14 Sep 2013 23:12:35 166 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Battle Los Angeles

Some really nice effects against the background of a terrible story and some truly awful moments of acting.

Basically a movie of Resistance fall of man.

3/10 = mostly for the graphics
  • L0cky 14 Sep 2013 23:16:28 1,552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Now You See Me.

Where do I begin! Pretentious self-serving bollocks is the best way I can describe it. Utter crap and OTT American shit.

1/10 (and I always try to find a bright side to films!).
    Am agree. Not sure why it has such a high rating on imdb. The demographics show it was actually rated higher outside of the US.

4/10 for me.
  • Pinky_Floyd 14 Sep 2013 23:32:47 8,272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Hunt.

Danish film about a man accused wrongly of abusing his best friends daughter.  We know he is innocent from the start as that is made very clear but the film shows how something like this can spiral out of control.

Some really blood boiling scenes.

Not an easy watch, but a cracking film with great acting and a tight script.

9/10

Edit:  Catch it on Netflix

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 23:33:45 14-09-2013
  • glaeken 14 Sep 2013 23:53:32 11,243 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lincoln - 7/10 - Quite a cool little film based on what sounds like a silly premise. Daniel Day-Lewis was pretty good as Lincoln and the action scenes were reasonably good fun. The vampires were not bad and the idea of the south being a Vampire state was fairly good fun.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2013 00:11:51
    In the words of the virgin Mary "come again?"
  • L0cky 15 Sep 2013 00:12:43 1,552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    The Hunt.

Danish film about a man accused wrongly of abusing his best friends daughter.  We know he is innocent from the start as that is made very clear but the film shows how something like this can spiral out of control.

Some really blood boiling scenes.

Not an easy watch, but a cracking film with great acting and a tight script.

9/10

Edit:  Catch it on Netflix
    Mads Mikkelson too. Cheers, will watch this tomorrow.
  • boo 15 Sep 2013 00:15:30 11,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iron Man 3

82%

Missed this on the big screen, so picked it up now it's hit DVD. Heard some fairly mixed things about it, so went in with middling expectations.

I have to say I really enjoyed it. More of an action film than a superhero film, with Stark spending as much, if not more, time out of the suit(s) than in it/them.

Some of the story was a bit shaky (did the Extremis regrow missing limbs, give people superpowers or turn them into Smaug?), but it rattled along at a good pace with a few mini-twists along the way, and that 13-people-falling-out-of-Air-Force-One sequence was quite something.

Good stuff.

Just Another Lego Blog

• MrSensible 15 Sep 2013 00:20:47 25,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Riddick

7/10

Really enjoyed this to be honest. It might not be cool to say so, but I just got back and had a great time! It is basically Pitch Black 2 and, other than a couple of scenes to set it up, seems to just ignore the terrible 'Chronicles...'. It's not original in any way and doesn't do anything new with the character, besides giving him that awesome pet but it was a good way to get the character back on track.
  • L0cky 15 Sep 2013 00:24:16 1,552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Best Offer

About a stuck up art auctioneer/antiques evaluater who gets increasingly obsessed with, and softened up by an agoraphobic woman.

Intriguing story, and nice appearance from Donald Sutherland.

7/10
  • OptimusPube 15 Sep 2013 01:39:51 3,236 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Flight

Truly gripping film and a recommended watch.

10/10

Jack Reacher

Was expecting a Jason Bourne type of affair but it's far from it, it's way more gritty.

9/10

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• Deleted user 15 September 2013 07:27:48
    The campaign.

Tripe. had a couple of funny moments as usual but run of the mill comedy with nothing to say. comedy was too obivious and an excuse for stupidity. Which can work but here it just felt flat and had long run its course.

To be fair i didnt finish it as something came up but i couldnt see it getting better.

3/10
  • Grax 15 Sep 2013 09:01:23 2,296 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The hobbit 7/10

After reading others comments I was dreading watching this (the hobbit was the first book I ever read that didn't have pictures in) as I didn't want to ruin my memories of the book. Having now watched it, I thought it was actually quite good and if they had cut the length of the movie by an hour ( easily done) then. It would have scored an 8 or 9. It did drag though with too many random bits that are not needed
  • TechnoHippy 15 Sep 2013 09:14:31 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grave Encounters

The lost footage format is getting more than a little stale these days, but the trailer for this looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a go. It doesn't start well, the whole producer spiel at the beginning is pointless and made me think I'd made a mistake. Once the actual 'episode' started it improved a little, but nothing special. The premise is that it is a lost episode for a reality TV ghost hunter show, the beginning background stuff is ok, there's some humour and background laying, the cynicism of the crew sets them up for the later fall.

They are investigating an old mental institution with a macabre history, again the background is nothing special, but solid enough. Once things get going I again had a moment of doubt, yes there were some creepy moments, but for the most part it is the typical shock of things moving, although there were a couple of nice touches.

For the last third of the film it really gets going and becomes more of a traditional horror and has some lovely scary moments. It also takes things a bit further than a lot of this type of film which was good to see.

Overall I'd recommend it as a horror film worth watching, you have to bear with it a bit, but once it gets going it makes up for the shaky start.

7/10

• bad09 15 Sep 2013 15:22:37 6,222 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cowboys & Aliens

Thought this was pretty poo the first time I saw it but re-watched yesterday and quite enjoyed it second time out for some reason, didn't seem as dull as I remember.

70%

License To Drive
    The Mrs put this on after and it's still a classic teen comedy, love it even after all this time it still raises a giggle.

90%
  • Maturin 15 Sep 2013 16:02:44 3,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Back to the Future 10/10

Just watched nn BR, first time I've seen the film for probably ten years. It's still a flawless piece of 80s cinema. Looks great, performances are top notch and it's a great story.

My kids were enthralled by it and even applauded at the end. Wonderful family moment.
  • -cerberus- 15 Sep 2013 17:20:07 3,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest

It's not quite autumn yet but damn it, I'm already in the mood for Halloween.
    Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest is nice little documentary about how the here.

8/10

Edited by -cerberus- at 17:21:53 15-09-2013

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Blaketown 15 Sep 2013 18:07:28 4,915 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jack The Giant Slayer 68%
    This wasn't half as bad as I was lead to believe. Not very taxing, but exciting & entertaining enough for a wet Sunday afternoon. A bit long and flabby but what film isn't these days?
    The kids have put it back on for a second watch.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• TechnoHippy 15 Sep 2013 18:55:57 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Last Stand

It's always fun watching Arnie in action, it's been a while since he's done a full film and while this is far from his best, it's still a decent watch. The story is simple, Arnie is a sheriff in a small town on the Mexican border. Forest Whitaker is in charge of an FBI team transporting the head of the cartel, who subsequently escapes and his path to Mexico runs through the small, once peaceful town.

It doesn't take long to get going and it doesn't take itself too seriously. The action is over the top with some amusing moments dotted throughout. Jonny Knoxville as the deranged gun nut provides most of these moments and he's actually not too annoying.

All in all it's an entertaining watch with a few jokes, mostly poking at Arnie's previous films. Not bad at all.

7/10

• OptimusPube 15 Sep 2013 19:02:02 3,236 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just watched the Total Recall remake.

let me get this straight, in the Arnie version my understanding of it it was all just a fantasy, but in the remake they made it out to all be real, I'm confused.

• vijay_UK 15 Sep 2013 19:06:43 2,325 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Just watched the Total Recall remake.

let me get this straight, in the Arnie version my understanding of it it was all just a fantasy, but in the remake they made it out to all be real, I'm confused.
    Best mind-fuck yet.
  • craigy Staff 15 Sep 2013 19:51:52 7,779 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apollo 13: 8/10
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Sep 2013 20:03:03 15,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Star Trek into Darkness
    Loved it.
    [90%]

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• TechnoHippy 15 Sep 2013 20:23:33 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Little Deaths

The French have a saying 'la petite mort', it means 'the little death', a slang term for orgasm. The wonderful turn of phrase is the inspiration for this trio of short films. Each is an exploration in sexual horror.

The first story House and Home, concerns a middle class couple who have peculiar tastes. This was my least favourite of the stories, it's wasn't a bad story, just a little obvious.

Mutant Tool is the second story and this was more interesting. It's mad scientist tale about an experimental drug that has some very strange effects, the horror comes from its source. It's a gritty story that builds nicely to a grim conclusion.

Bitch is the final story and the best of the bunch, this one is a simpler revenge story, but has an interesting path and I appreciated the climax.

Overall it's an interesting watch that tantalises and captivates, it's a little rough around the edges, enough so that it stops it from really shining, but well worth a watch.

7/10

• OptimusPube 15 Sep 2013 21:36:42 3,236 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Life of Pi

Truly magical, wasn't expecting the way the film turned out all, glad I went in knowing nothing at all about it.

9/10

Bourne Legacy

I swore I would never watch this film as I felt it would be a cheap cash in, but, it's not to bad, the way they've intertwined it with the last Damon Bourne was pulled off pretty well, the acting wasn't as solid but it's not unwatchable.

6/10

I've had a proper film marathon this weekend, Asda's selling loads of films off dirt cheap.

• Page

of 2845 First / Last