Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• oceanmotion 12 Sep 2013 14:04:33 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    Jack Reacher
    5/10

Finally watched this the other day on Sky, just a completely nothing film... I've not read a single one of the books so this isn't a book > film judgement. The film was just utterly empty for me, it had no substance, nothing about it at all. It never got going, character development was non-existant, storyline was very loose, only remotely exciting part was the end shootout. The wife is a big fan of the books, and was of the same opinion (though I think she had written it off before we watched it because apparently Reacher is supposed to be a big hulking brute, not a Tom Cruise).

I reckon the author and book publishers are completely gutted, they were probably hoping to spin out sequel after sequel for this, but I just can't see it happening after this first attempt.
    Sequel is likely. It cost peanuts to make and made a healthy profit.

I've read two books and I dunno, the inner thoughts and scooby doo detective work is awful on film while I didn't mind it in the books. Actually kinda makes the books worse as the material now seems so thin and obvious. Doesn't even work well in a short film. I don't mind Tom Cruise usually but in this he was so overly Tom Cruise I couldn't stand it and knowing he should be 6ft plus and blonde in the book was always in the back of my mind. I also hate that women who was in Die Another Day.

Edited by oceanmotion at 14:06:36 12-09-2013
  • Deleted user 12 September 2013 14:07:04
    Reading a bit about Lee Child is enough to put you off the books. The guy virtually admits that he writes his books by the numbers for morons. He even chose his name on the basis it would put him on the store shelves between Raymond Chandler and Agatha Christie.
  • JiveHound 12 Sep 2013 14:19:23 2,747 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Opportunism over integrity. I don't think I'm in a rush to read his material.

Sounds like he'd be a shoe in for a Gears Of War novel.

• RyanDS 12 Sep 2013 15:56:06 9,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Legend of the Drunken Master

Jackie Chan's best film, with fight scenes that put the Matrix to shame
    That is the second Drunken Master, right? If so, it's easily one of the best damn movies I've ever seen, let alone best of Jackie. Outstanding and I think everyone has to watch it at least once.
    That's the one. It's also where Chan got his scars on his arms.
  • faux-C 12 Sep 2013 16:37:02 9,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Upstream Color - 9/10

New film from the director of Primer. I'm not going to spoil it by describing it - not that I could do it justice - but in basic terms, it's a wonky love story between two damaged people who have a shared traumatic experience of hosting a mind-controlling parastic worm, but it's so much more than that. The plot comes in fits and starts, time and geography is loose and totally open to interpretation. The film is visually and aurally stunning, whilst the questions it raises are troubling and meaningful.
  • JiveHound 12 Sep 2013 20:59:15 2,747 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zero Dark Thirty.

Never seriously piss off a woman with an infinite budget.

Bit slow to get going but I enjoyed it. At the very least erodes the mysticism about Bin Laden as an omnipresent yet cave dwelling hermit.

Edited by JiveHound at 20:59:55 12-09-2013

• Jacksie66 13 Sep 2013 00:06:34 574 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    10/10
    First time watching it.
    Damn fine movie.
  • craigy Staff 13 Sep 2013 09:15:16 7,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Reading a bit about Lee Child is enough to put you off the books. The guy virtually admits that he writes his books by the numbers for morons. He even chose his name on the basis it would put him on the store shelves between Raymond Chandler and Agatha Christie.
    I tried reading One Shot, but it is awful. Doubly awful when you realise it's written by a Brit who is writing in an American style.
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2013 09:19:26 69,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's like he knows me! I've read a couple and they are clearly pap, but readable pap. More than happy for my fiction to be on this sort of level.
  • Tonka 13 Sep 2013 09:45:20 21,360 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really, really liked the first Jack Reacher book. Found the second one passable and the third one I gave up about 20% in after feeling insulted.

I have thought about giving one of the other first-person books a go in the future. For some reason I think the third person view added a layer of superhumanism that I could do without.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mr_Sleep 13 Sep 2013 11:14:57 17,389 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ain't Them Bodies Saints - 4 out of 5.

Watched this last night and it was a rare example of a film that doesn't spend half its time extrapolating on previous events and never does anything to break immersion. It's easily one of the films of the year imo.

It felt very similar in pace to The Assassination of Jesse James but isn't overly long. The score is really rather excellent to, perhaps there in places it tries a bit too hard to convey the emotions but in such a sparse film it is somewhat necessary.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 11:15:34 13-09-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• faux-C 13 Sep 2013 19:11:17 9,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty) - 9/10

Jeez, I never normally give such high ratings, and now two in two days. I think the score on this one might come down as I think about it more, but my immediate reaction is the 9/10. It's sumptuously, sensually beautiful. Toni Servillo is magnificent. I'm still feeling unsettled by everything the film asked me to think about with regards to aging, ambition, love, desire, happiness, beauty, fulfilment - I could go on, but I won't.
  • QotSAfan 13 Sep 2013 20:05:39 1,763 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The French Connection 10/10

Brilliant. I really can't think of any flaws with it.
  • monkehhh 13 Sep 2013 20:34:22 3,525 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Didn't mind the Jack Reacher movie, though it felt pretty pointless overall and the DA woman spent most of it pulling stupid faces. The car chase and Tom Cruise doing his Liam Neeson impression were probably the best bits.

Watched The Iceman - a poorly made film with Michael Shannon looking huge and murdering people. I like Shannon, though he didn't get to do a great deal except be angry (and chop people up).

The Kings of Summer. Really enjoyed this one - three kids decide to go live in the woods. A fair few folk you'd recognise (including Ron Swanson as the excellent dad) put in good performances in something vaguely like a modern day Stand By Me (that description may be terrible).
  • LionheartDJH 13 Sep 2013 22:41:03 19,549 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Star Trek Into Darkness - 6/10

Loved the first one, this was way more average and can understand the criticisms. Could have been so much better. Cumberbatch was fantastic and it's a shame his performance goes a bit to waste here. Still enjoyable but disappointing on the whole.

She dives for cheese pasties

• captainrentboy 13 Sep 2013 22:45:48 1,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rush - 90%
    Thought it was brilliant, even though I care very little about Formula One. The races were exciting and inventively shot, and once you get over the accents (more so Hemsworth's) both of the leads were ace in their roles.
  • faux-C 13 Sep 2013 22:47:07 9,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bumberclart Cuntymints
  • Robot_Chubby 14 Sep 2013 11:48:07 260 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I thought it was pretty wank all in all, although I personally liked the Ben Kinglsey take on Mandarin.
    Sums it up nicely for me, although km's description "too much Tony Stark and not enough Iron Man"
    At one stage he was a talent, but now RDJ is just an egocentric multi-millionaire. What he wants he gets, like even more face time, something we'll see in the next Avengers movie. It might be something even written into his contract, more expose than the rest.
    I don't really think that's true. I don't get that impression anyway. Didn't he hold out on signing for Avengers 2 to try to help his cast members get pay rises? Could be usual internet guff right enough.

Doubt he'll be back anyway after Avengers 2.
    Iron Man 3
    Watched this last night and generally enjoyed it. The quotes above were the most recent reviews in this thread that I remembered before spinning up the disc, and I have to wholly disagree with 'too much Tony ... not enough Iron Man'.

The last two movies were at their least interesting when they turned into 'Transformers' in the final reel. I love comics and I like superheroes, but I'm more interested in the human aspect than the shiny metal prophylactics.

In any case, what themes there were in this movie did tie in with RDJ spending more time out of the suit. As for his being an egotist, well probably yes. But he's an actor. Seems to me it rather goes with the territory.

Overall, good fun, some good humour but not as much as I was expecting the 'twist' with the Mandarin was probably the highlight of the funny stuff

Didn't particularly like the use of Rebecca Hall's character, I thought it was better handled in the comic, although both outcome were trite.

Liked the post credit scene/framing device

Doesn't really change my feeling that I'm beginning to get a little numbed by the amount of these movies now. This was the one post Avengers outing I was most looking forward to and it did leave me with a bit of a flat sensation.

Score? I dunno. Maybe 65%
  • crashVoodoo 14 Sep 2013 16:31:58 4,025 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    R.I.P.D - 9
    Just fun. Lots of fun and even though Bridges looks and sounds like he's got somebody else's teeth in his mouth I still loved it.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• glaeken 14 Sep 2013 17:27:57 11,266 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Star Trek into Darkness - 6/10 - Enjoyable enough fluff. Cucumberpatch made a great villain though I don't think they really used him as well as they could. Simon Pegg as scotty was annoying as ever. He comes across nothing like Scotty where as I think most of the other casting for replacing the original cast is reasonable.
  • wobbly_Bob 14 Sep 2013 18:08:37 1,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Explorers

80's movie where some kids build a spaceship. Enjoyable Saturday afternoon fluff. Watched it back in the day and remembered liking it. The effects are pretty good considering it's age. The kids are all mostly know adult actors. 7/10
  • spindle9988 14 Sep 2013 18:35:28 3,676 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Rush - 90%
    Thought it was brilliant, even though I care very little about Formula One. The races were exciting and inventively shot, and once you get over the accents (more so Hemsworth's) both of the leads were ace in their roles.
    What a film 10/10 for me. Haven't had that cinema experience for a long tine
  • spindle9988 14 Sep 2013 18:35:49 3,676 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Rush - 90%
    What a film 10/10 for me. Haven't had that cinema experience for a long time
  • Short-Round 14 Sep 2013 19:43:11 1,181 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched a shit film today, Crystal Fairy. Anyway, there's a women who spends the whole film naked, and her character is a hippy, so she's very hirsute. Thing is, I knew I'd seen her face before. Turns out it's Maizy from Uncle Buck :/ This made me sad.

• faux-C 14 Sep 2013 20:12:56 9,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All this talk about Rush just makes me want to watch Senna again, though I'm not sure I can cope with crying that much all over again.
  • altitude2k 14 Sep 2013 20:27:19 4,890 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Worst bit of Senna for me was the crash where the car was utterly destroyed and Donnelly(?) was left lying on the track. He survived, but it was utterly horrific.
  • Page

of 2867 First / Last