Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2335

• Page

of 2705 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 6 Sep 2013 17:14:30 14,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Conan the Destroyer

The sequel to Conan the Barbarian this is a fun watch, but nowhere near as good as the first film. In this film Conan is tasked with helping a young girl fulfil a prophecy. As with the first film the story isn't anything special, it's all about watching Conan in action.

The main problem with the film is that is was softened to reach a wider audience. The first film was rough and had a dark aspect to it, this one is lighter and relies more on the character interaction. It's far from a bad film, it's full of entertaining moments, in fact some of the components are superior to the original. For example Arnie is more comfortable in this film making this Conan a bit more world wise and as before he has some good one liners, but these are more quips than the dramatic tones of the first film.

It also has better effects and fight choreography, although that does make the fights seem more staged, although the fight with the Queen's guard is still entertaining to watch.

As before the soundtrack is superb. All in all it's good, but lacks the strength of the original, still worth a watch though.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 6 September 2013 19:49:49
    Lady Vengeance (2005) 7/10

The film looks great, each frame carefully considered, thought out, arty farty, which is always nice to see. This in turn adds a certain amount of detachment throughout the film, as does the slow pace. This is the main reason behind the low 7/10 score, as the story is tiresome, and takes much energy on the part of the viewer to sit through, wade through, my pulse was flat lining for the most part.

Lady Vengeance isn’t a patch on Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance or Oldboy, 3 films all directed by Chan-Wook Park (or is it Park Chan-Wook).

• oldschoolsoviet 6 Sep 2013 23:35:27 5,457 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We Bought a Zoo - 8/10

Fuck y'all. It's the only Damon role where I've been able to tolerant his smug saucer face, and therefore implore him to restrict himself to older, quieter roles. Schmaltzy nonsense it may be, but it's well done, and it'll steer you to reading the true strory behind it.

The Bling Ring - 5/10

I like Sofia Coppola. I like her eye for a scene, and her selective use of music. If only she could tie it all to an interesting tale to make something as grand as LiT once more. Somewhere was torture, and TBR was slowly following it all the way. I'm sure it'll remain a wonderful conversation piece for hip types for months to come. It's commentary about the vapid, entitled, self-obssesed, celebrity-loving Facebook generation with no moral compass and their desire to 'live the lifestyle', in turn becoming criminal celebrities to be worshipped is all well and good, but making a film based on the events just defeats the point.

Considering the poor am-dram performances from all bar Emma Watson, who herself is underused, and you're left with an underwhelming tale featuring unlikable actors playing unlikable characters. Points for the tunes.

Pawn Shop Chronicles - 8/10

Ahhh. Black. Quirky. Ridiculous. Hilarious.

Basically a Tarintino/Iñárritu homage (rip-off) done with such audacity and ludicrous stories that I couldn't help but enjoy it. A selection of tales revolving around items pawned in a backward Deep South shop, and the events that unfurl. You know the score, but what you won't see coming is the incredible cast absolutely hamming it up and having a riot. Spotting them is half the fun, and the dark, dark tone throughout is great. Bubba-Ho-Tep and all of it's silliness is the closest comparison, and it'll only improve with a few drinks.
  • Scurrminator 7 Sep 2013 00:00:50 8,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World War Z
    Just...awful. Too many CG zombies in the I Am Legend style.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Derblington 7 Sep 2013 00:15:00 21,270 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked World War Z. The aren't really zombies though.
  • FWB 7 Sep 2013 00:29:11 43,806 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Star Trek: Into The Darkness 6/10

Not a bad film, just not very exciting. Extremely predictable. Villain was quite superficial, not deep enough. Poor motivation. Previous one was better.
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Sep 2013 07:17:02 5,054 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    We Bought a Zoo - 8/10

Fuck y'all. It's the only Damon role where I've been able to tolerant his smug saucer face, and therefore implore him to restrict himself to older, quieter roles. Schmaltzy nonsense it may be, but it's well done, and it'll steer you to reading the true strory behind it.
    I love that film, but then I love Cameron Crowe anyway!

... such an easy-going family film to watch too. The soundtrack is nice too.

The 'true story' is quite different from the film, especially the ending so, keep your expectations low.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Sep 2013 08:03:21 14,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Arnie was told to "bulk up" for CtD :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• -cerberus- 7 Sep 2013 10:21:45 2,420 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Side By Side

Extremely interesting and balanced documentary about film vs digital. Fincher, Boyle, Scorcese, Lynch, Lucas, Cameron, etc. All there to share their thoughts and views on the subject. Highly recommended!

8.5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Gruff 7 Sep 2013 10:58:09 2,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    We Bought a Zoo - 8/10

I love that film, but then I love Cameron Crowe anyway!

... such an easy-going family film to watch too. The soundtrack is nice too.

The 'true story' is quite different from the film, especially the ending so, keep your expectations low.
    Yep, I concur, very watchable.

On the other hand The Big Year 3/10 "Comedy" about birding. With a cast that includes Jack Black, Steve Martin, Owen Wilson and Rashida Jones you would think there would be some laughs, but no, no there isn't.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• eleven63 7 Sep 2013 15:02:09 1,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Olympus Has Fallen - 7/10

I set out with low expectations - patriotic/mournful music, shots of the American flag in tatters, ridiculous story line, inept Whitehouse security team, cheesy storyline, yes it has the lot.

But I enjoyed it, good Friday night viewing with a few beers, I thought Butler was good - think of it as Die Hard: The Whitehouse and you get the idea, just not as clever with the plot or script.

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• TarickStonefire 7 Sep 2013 15:19:03 2,897 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Star Trek: Into The Darkness 6/10

Not a bad film, just not very exciting. Extremely predictable. Villain was quite superficial, not deep enough. Poor motivation. Previous one was better.
    Robert Orci says "FUCK OFF".

:)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 7 Sep 2013 15:21:13 2,897 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:

I set out with low expectations - patriotic/mournful music, shots of the American flag in tatters, ridiculous story line, inept Whitehouse security team, cheesy storyline, yes it has the lot.

But I enjoyed it, good Friday night viewing with a few beers, I thought Butler was good - think of it as Die Hard: The Whitehouse and you get the idea, just not as clever with the plot or script.
    Curious how this and White House Down were in production at pretty much exactly the same time. How does that happen? I remember Big and Vice Versa came out at almost the same time too. There was those two movies about LA being under attack by aliens a couple of years ago as well.

Is it as simple as, one movie exec hears what another movie exec just greenlit and goes out to try and copy it as soon as humanly possible? Or is it just coincidental cyclical habits of Hollywood?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Gruff 7 Sep 2013 15:37:05 2,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Side By Side

Extremely interesting and balanced documentary about film vs digital. Fincher, Boyle, Scorcese, Lynch, Lucas, Cameron, etc. All there to share their thoughts and views on the subject. Highly recommended!

8.5/10
    I really enjoyed that as well.

These Amazing Shadows 8/10 is also a terrific Film documentary about the preservation and the joy of film. Its on US/Canadian Netflix

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• altitude2k 7 Sep 2013 16:38:51 3,760 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:

I'd go with exactly this same score. Loads of fun - a proper action flick.

"Let's play a game of 'fuck off'. You go first". Heh, tempted to give it 8/10 for that line alone. Almost as good as "we could stay here and do nothing, or go outside and do something real stupid".
  • Deleted user 7 September 2013 16:57:20
    The World's End - 7/10. Enjoyable enough, but doesn't feel like it'll be as rewatchable as the other two Wright/Pegg/Frost films. Felt horribly unstructured and flat compared to them, too.
  • ProfessorLesser 7 Sep 2013 17:00:51 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Way, Way Back - 8/10

Great little film. Wish more were like this - not over-ambitious, not too overstated, just nice, casual meditations on the trials of life, and how we learn to cope with them. This had strong vibes of Lost in Translation, and I loved it.

The only thing I'd change is the romantic interest for the kid. Just seemed a bit contrived, and took a bit away from the relatability - in real life, there isn't magically a girl whose aloofness and insights compliment your awkward quietness. That's just a fantasy.
  • Madder-Max 7 Sep 2013 17:24:52 11,618 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    eleven63 wrote:

Curious how this and White House Down were in production at pretty much exactly the same time. How does that happen? I remember Big and Vice Versa came out at almost the same time too. There was those two movies about LA being under attack by aliens a couple of years ago as well.

Is it as simple as, one movie exec hears what another movie exec just greenlit and goes out to try and copy it as soon as humanly possible? Or is it just coincidental cyclical habits of Hollywood?
    I think its down to the fact that creativity and imagination has been ritually sacrificed so much in hollywood that all execs are pretty much thinking in the same, consolidated, film by numbers way. For example all these remakes. Marvel and star trek are always going to be safe bets.

What are the genres now? Action, scifi, horror, waggle cam (shaky cam footage thing), pixar and romcom and comedy?

Edited by Madder-Max at 17:29:09 07-09-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Deleted user 7 September 2013 17:28:57
    Multiple identical films at the same time are usually either synergy brought on by companies reading market trends the same way, or that the script got shopped around multiple places and one bought it while the other thought "we like the idea, but want to do something else". It's very rare that company X would go and look at what company Y have planned and decide to do exactly the same thing at the same time.

Obviously discounting shit like Mockbusters in that.
  • ProfessorLesser 7 Sep 2013 17:32:34 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surprised you liked The World's End even the slightest bit, meme!
  • eleven63 7 Sep 2013 18:00:39 1,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    eleven63 wrote:

I'd go with exactly this same score. Loads of fun - a proper action flick.

"Let's play a game of 'fuck off'. You go first". Heh, tempted to give it 8/10 for that line alone. Almost as good as "we could stay here and do nothing, or go outside and do something real stupid".
    Ha, yep quality line :)

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Gruff 7 Sep 2013 18:39:38 2,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chasing Mavericks 8/10 That rare beast,a Gerard Butler film thats not shite. Film biopic of surfer Jay Moriarty. Rides just on the right side of cheesy, ends up being highly watchable. Gerard is a bit crap, but he still can't drag the film down.

― Agnes Repplier

• TechnoHippy 7 Sep 2013 21:39:26 14,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

He does look more muscular in it :-)

Sightseers

I've just watched Sightseers:

Sightseers is a British black comedy about an odd couple who go on a caravanning holiday on an anorak tour. I have to say that I didn't find it especially funny,that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, but don't let the review blurbs fool you. It is amusing, but it's more creepy with a sense of humour than an outright comedy.

It does have quite a sinister aspect that draws you through the whole film, I also enjoyed how it didn't follow an obvious path through the story. In places it's a little sad and you're not quite sure which way the film is going to turn.

In some ways it reminded me of Natural Born Killers, but imagine the more over the top almost cartoonish nature of that film and then dowse it in British understatement and I think you get what we have here.

To sum up I liked the film, it achieves a lot with very little and it keeps you entertained all the way through.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Rodney 7 Sep 2013 22:30:02 1,847 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Lady Vengeance (2005) 7/10

The film looks great, each frame carefully considered, thought out, arty farty, which is always nice to see. This in turn adds a certain amount of detachment throughout the film, as does the slow pace. This is the main reason behind the low 7/10 score, as the story is tiresome, and takes much energy on the part of the viewer to sit through, wade through, my pulse was flat lining for the most part.

Lady Vengeance isn’t a patch on Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance or Oldboy, 3 films all directed by Chan-Wook Park (or is it Park Chan-Wook).

I couldn't finish it I was so bored but I loved the other two you mentioned
  • tuff 7 Sep 2013 22:59:33 622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now You See Me
    Bored/100

Metallica: Quebec Magnetic
    100%

We're The Millers
    Stripper Ainiston/100
  • Vortex808 8 Sep 2013 00:11:44 6,945 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hellboy 2. I've enjoyed it far more than I expected to. 70%

It's been quite fun IMO, the wife disagrees intensely.

Far more entertaining than the X factor at any rate. ;)
  • Deleted user 8 September 2013 00:27:47
    Riddick 7/10

Better than Chronicles not as good as pitch black. Basicly I enjoyed it despite the Scooby doo dog and Katee Sackofks Huge nipples. It also looked like it was made for 50p.

White House Down 4/10

Think of it as Olympus as Fallen (which is ace) but played for laughs, with shite CGI, badly shoe horned comedy, channing tatum in a vest,PG-13 action and Jamie Foxx running round in white trainers.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2013 00:29:13
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Insidious (2010) - 70%

Pleasantly surprised by this horror film about a family being spooked out. I jumped on a few occasions and it had some light moments too.

May watch sequel in cinemas later next week.
    Insidious scared the shit out of me at the cinema. Loses its intensity on the TV, seriously creepy film.
  • Robot_Chubby 8 Sep 2013 10:57:26 260 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Insidious
    Quite enjoyed this. Seemed to me to be essentially a remake of 'Poltergeist', which makes the actual coming remake all the more pointless.

The second half (you know the bit I mean) didn't do a bad job of keeping my interest and maintaining my suspension of disbelief, although Mrs RobotChubby thought it got a tad ridiculous at that point. I enjoyed the very corny but quite creepy ending, right down to the last scene.

Only problem: one good jump scare does not a scary movie make.
    I'd go about 65%, maybe 70% at a push.
  • Page

of 2705 First / Last