Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2329

• Page

of 2797 First / Last

• Deleted user 2 September 2013 06:46:08
    Monsters University

Not as funny as the original but good entertainment nonetheless. I enjoyed the short animation before the film too (The Blue Umbrella?).
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Sep 2013 09:16:57 35,708 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oblivion - 4/10

Not a single original idea. Felt like they worked with a list of sci/fi plot clichés, and they checked all of them.

A few points because it was reasonably pretty.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Sep 2013 10:28:13 44,502 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Empire Strikes Back, revisited. I haven't watched this in a long time, and I know everyone in the universe has seen it, but bear with me while I note a few things.

It is basically a black and white film, which is why Bespin exteriors are such a contrast. The only colours you see are red and blue lights, everything else is monochrome. Uniforms are grey or white, speeders are grey, walkers are grey, Hoth is white, space is black. Even Dagobah is almost colour free and muted.

It's amazing how simple they keep things technically. Cameras kept static for long shots, more than happy to have characters face away while speaking without a cut to the face, gives the actors much more room to perform.

I love how claustrophobic rebel spaceship interiors are, and how this is deliberately countered by the vast, roomy fascist interiors of the Star Destroyers with the engineers kept in pits.

Very brave to keep all the action on Hoth for the first half hour without a single cut to the Empire's fleet, or anywhere else. Makes for a taut opening which is very effective.

By contrast, the new scenes put in for the special edition are really not needed and break the rhythm in several places. Could be that they jar because I'm so familiar with the original version mind.

Anyway, everyone knows this is 10/10 but just thought I'd share.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 2 Sep 2013 10:42:11 23,227 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now I wanna watch it again.

For the 9,343,231st time.
  • DFawkes 2 Sep 2013 10:45:51 23,285 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Empire Strikes Back is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen. Not a patch on the superior Phantom Menace, which has tighter scripting, more interesting characters and... I can't keep that up.

Empire is awesome, and I've never really noticed a few of those things before. It's a really well directed film. I wish they'd got him to direct the prequel trilogy as well, they'd have been improved immensely. Yes, I'm aware he was dead for 2 of them. Still would've been better than Lucas.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 2 September 2013 11:44:26
    Empire Strikes Back is the best of them all The orignal Star Wars is just classic. Have no time for the other films. Jedi was ok'ish.
  • Dangerous_Dan 2 Sep 2013 11:50:43 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love how claustrophobic rebel spaceship interiors are, and how this is deliberately countered by the vast, roomy fascist interiors of the Star Destroyers with the engineers kept in pits.
    Reminds me of the MTV VMA shows.

But anyway, yep, the old Star Wars movies have stood the test of time so far.
  • nickthegun 2 Sep 2013 11:51:40 60,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People always say that they wish Kershner had directed more Star Wars movies but if you look at his CV TESB is, basically, a complete fluke and probably is in no small part flattered in comparison by how bad Lucas is behind a camera.

Having said that, Robocop 2 is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. Nuke those babies!

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Dangerous_Dan 2 Sep 2013 11:52:11 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still would've been better than Lucas.
    Says a lot when even a dead guy would have been better than Lucas himself.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 11:53:28 02-09-2013
  • DFawkes 2 Sep 2013 11:54:35 23,285 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite liked Never Say Never Again. Not proper Bond, obviously, but I quite liked that it felt quite difference, and they used the fact Connery was getting older as part of the plot. And I loved Robocop 2.

You're right that it's not guaranteed another Kershner Star Wars would've been good, especially given the story would've been the same.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Sep 2013 11:57:30 38,614 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Hobbit: A subtitle - 9/10

There were dwarves, a big dragon, that Hobbit from The Office and a very old LARPer. And they went for a walk through a forest, met some orcs who weren't nice, some elves who were, and the king of Goblins who had a double chin like my nans. Then the hobbit stole that one ring and JR Tolkien fucking loved giant eagles. Those eagles could have dropped them off at that mountain though, that would have been nice.

I enjoyed it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Mr_Sleep 2 Sep 2013 12:00:32 17,164 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    I thought it was a nicely produced homage to 80s sci-fi - obviously the soundtrack, but the drones in particular were refreshingly old school sci-fi/horror for a 'blockbuster'.
    Yep. Digger the drones.

Liked the film. Can't stand Cruise but mattered not. Nice CGI and a decent storyline, 7/10.
    Have you guys seen Screamers? Based on a K.Dick short story (or novel maybe). Straight to Video release that a friend and I picked up back in the 90's and were completely surprised by.

It has some cool drones.
    Better than Oblivion too! It has the mighty Peter Weller in it. Yeah, it's pretty much a B movie and possibly somewhat rubbish but I thought it was ace when I was a teenager.

You are a factory of sadness.

• speedofthepuma 2 Sep 2013 12:00:39 13,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched a few films over the weekend:

Oblivion: 5/10. Really quite dull and somehow still managed to confuse me through its plot delivery rather than complexity. Annoying.

Iron man 3: 8/10. Very good fun, I was caught up and enjoyed the ride. Some plot holes but, did I miss something? Why didn't he call up the 42 remote controlled suits at any other stage before when he did?

Role models: 8/10. Really quite funny comedy with Paul Rudd and Sean William-annoyingface. It's quirkiness appealed to me. As did the swearing child.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• chopsen 2 Sep 2013 12:02:48 16,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I qutie liked Oblivion. Not an original idea anywhere near it, but I enjoyed the ride.
  • Megapocalypse 2 Sep 2013 12:04:45 5,464 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @speedofthepuma Because they were for the finale. ;)

I think I remember something near the start of the film about him compiling a program or something for that. It was finished just in time.

I could be completely making that up though.
  • Tonka 2 Sep 2013 12:06:25 20,743 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is Oblivion the next SALT?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 2 Sep 2013 12:07:06 60,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was OK too. It looked amazing and some of the ideas were decent. It lost its way a bit towards the end but it wasnt a terrible way to spend 90 minutes.

The only real sticking point for me was the utter vanity of two 30 year olds fighting over someone 20 years their senior.

• dominalien 2 Sep 2013 12:11:39 7,013 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shallow Grave

Following DodgyPast's recommendation on the preceding page. Conceptually, the film is identical to Trainspotting, down to the same guy getting all the money, except for the theme, which is murder instead of drugs. Otherwise, it's witty, quite well written and fun. I especially liked the nerd guy's descent into madness, which unfortunately seemed to evaporate towards the end due to screenwriter's forgetfulness, or maybe through the power of sex.

7/10

Edit: damn, using quotes instead of spoilers again.

Edited by dominalien at 12:12:28 02-09-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• chopsen 2 Sep 2013 12:13:06 16,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's fairly standard in Hollywood. Men always attract women who look as if they're in their late 20s. no matter what the bloke's age is.

Winds me up too, but it's common. And lets face it, everything Cruise gets involved in is feels like a vanity project. That, and the fact he just can't bloody act, makes me wonder how the hell he became such a bankable an actor.
  • Deckard1 2 Sep 2013 12:14:38 28,670 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can't act? How dare you. I can't stand the little fuck, but he's a good actor.
  • dominalien 2 Sep 2013 12:15:12 7,013 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, he's good.

• chopsen 2 Sep 2013 12:17:21 16,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really? He just walks around being Tom Cruise Action Character in everything I've seen, with the same expression on his face. He's like a less animated Roger Moore.

Edited by Chopsen at 12:17:35 02-09-2013
  • nickthegun 2 Sep 2013 12:18:04 60,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah, I appreciate that, its just incredibly pronounced in this.

• dominalien 2 Sep 2013 12:18:54 7,013 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think he has oodles of charisma and can turn a likeable character no matter what role he plays. He seems like a right cunt irl, though, which admittedly has put me off watching some of his films.

• kalel 2 Sep 2013 12:22:26 88,268 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Life of Pi

I think having read the book, the impact the film might have had was probably significantly diminished for me. I kept finding myself waiting for certain bits to happen as I wanted to see how they'd be done, instead of just enjoying the film as it went along. Still a very beautiful film that did justice to the book, albeit in a very literal direct way, but I feel that most films of books are on a lose/lose in this respect. So yeah, very good.

8/10
  • Ashleyfiddes 2 Sep 2013 12:26:15 980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    this is 40 6/10

it was not a bad movie really, just very long. It had me chuckle to myself a few times but it took what felt like a year to finish with no progression by the end. An odd film which doesn't touch knocked up
  • nickthegun 2 Sep 2013 12:29:24 60,395 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched Knocked Up quite recently and found myself wanting to kill Katherine Heigl and found that the message the film tries to get across is absolutely horrific.

It basically says that if you are enough of a whiny shrew you can get anything you want.

• Ashleyfiddes 2 Sep 2013 12:30:32 980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    isn't that a lesson pretty much every guy learns when they are in a long term relationship?
  • Deckard1 2 Sep 2013 12:32:49 28,670 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought This Is 40 and Knocked Up were both very funny. And Katherine Heigls boosums get her a free pass for being a bit shit.
  • dominalien 2 Sep 2013 12:36:29 7,013 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    She's insanely annoying. And there's better boobs online.

• Page

of 2797 First / Last