Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2325

• Page

of 2767 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 August 2013 19:26:00
    ronuds wrote:
    Life of Pi

Not what I was expecting at all, but different in a good way. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for the entire 2 hours - so much going on and so many wonderful colours. I could imagine watching it while on mind-bending drugs would be a hoot!

The 'twist' at the end while somewhat disturbing, made you want to remember everything that happened, to the point where I had to watch it a second time.
    I'd definitely recommend this to those who haven't seen it.

97/100
    The Blu-ray looks stunning. I need to watch it a 2nd time, probably this weekend. Every scene will take on new meaning.

Edited by blacksea at 19:26:18 27-08-2013
  • localnotail 27 Aug 2013 19:54:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iron Man 3 - 6/10 Just a little too slick. Skydiving stunt was pretty good though.

The Hobbit - Oh, I just can't decide how bad it is. Certainly too long, but many elements that I love from Jackson's Middle Earth. Several of the dwarves are far too sexy.

The Iceman - 7/10 Michael Shannon takes his craggy stony face and places it on a rough psychotic hitman who rises through the mob ranks despite being Polish. True story. Pretty good one too, although the appearance of Ross Geller with a bad 'tache and a ponytail is very jarring.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 27 August 2013 21:37:54
    The Imposter

Just utterly bizarre. I went in roughly knowing about it, but didn't realise it was truthful documentary. I was getting to the point where i thought the film was manipulating me and testing my stupidity. The amount of implausible but plausible (heh) events that unfold is staggering to believe.

Having the offender narrate the documentary to some extent, really is clever decision that engages the viewer and keeps the viewer guessing to the last shot of the film. The last quarter is spell binding, an event is told, and you left in a muddle where it fully tests your convictions. It does start to become a hollywood movie of its own, with the most a-typical personal investigator turning up, who lives in a world of his own as much as the imposter.

8/10

Edited by joelstinton at 21:43:11 27-08-2013
  • TarickStonefire 27 Aug 2013 22:20:23 3,091 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Elysium, 6/10. Looks great. Shame about it being utterly predictble from start to finish. Not one remotely surprising thing happens. Right down to the bit in the first scene where the little boy Matt Damon makes the little girl Romantic Interest a promise that gets referenced in the last scene when they're all grown up. Argh. Borrrrriiiiiing.

And I'm getting bored of movie music that's just a bunch of horns ripping off the Inception score, too.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 22:25:53 27-08-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 27 Aug 2013 22:22:13 3,091 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Monsters University, 8/10, very good fun. Exactly what I expected and nothing less. And what amazing photorealism they're pushing out now!

• Load_2.0 28 Aug 2013 00:00:39 19,267 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed Elysium as a straight up action/sci-fi romp. Worth a 7 at least.

Oblivion was good as well, very pretty to watch, no great surprises but entertaining throughout. 8/10.

Springbreakers. How do you make tits and crime boring? Liquid narrative.
    Balls - 3/10 for some James Franco scenes.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 00:09:50
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 28 August 2013 00:09:52
    Dredd 7/10

Finally got round to seeing this thanks to Netflix. Brilliant and i hope for a sequel.

Edited by mowgli at 00:10:09 28-08-2013
  • localnotail 28 Aug 2013 00:51:53 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Holy Motors. Ummm. Ok. Ooh, Kylie.

I liked it, the lead is brilliant. But I'm not sure if I really understood what was happening as I was very tired. Are they angels? Or cosmic performers?

Edited by localnotail at 00:56:24 28-08-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• khaz 28 Aug 2013 04:11:14 2,785 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Life of Pi

Not what I was expecting at all, but different in a good way. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for the entire 2 hours - so much going on and so many wonderful colours. I could imagine watching it while on mind-bending drugs would be a hoot!

The 'twist' at the end while somewhat disturbing, made you want to remember everything that happened, to the point where I had to watch it a second time.
    I'd definitely recommend this to those who haven't seen it.

97/100
    The Blu-ray looks stunning. I need to watch it a 2nd time, probably this weekend. Every scene will take on new meaning.
    I absolutely love this film.
  • TarickStonefire 28 Aug 2013 07:26:19 3,091 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I enjoyed Elysium as a straight up action/sci-fi romp. Worth a 7 at least.
    See I really should have too, but it's just rubbish. Too long, every scene is *exactly* what you expect it to be, it's like watching someone putting a jigsaw puzzle together diretly on top of the picture of the finished puzzle.

Starts with an opening flashback scene that may as well flash on screen WE'LL COME BACK TO THIS IN THE LAST SCENE, DO YOU THINK HE'LL KEEP HIS PROMISE FOLKS? And here's a childhood sweetheart who'll end up staying in his life 30 years later, handy for the plot. Oh look there she is, and of *course* she's got a child that needs medical help. And here comes a bit of exposition showing he used to be a bad guy and the police are thugs. Oh he's changed his ways has he? I expect he'll be tempted to do one last job - yup, there it is! And yes, of course, the childhood sweetheart's gotten involved. Oh look, they've made it to the Halo/Death Star, aaaaand he's got caught. Oh look he's got free! And now we're on the unswerving path to a showdown between our two power-suited protagonists that we all predicted the second Our Hero had it bolted to his bones, how long till we get there? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? THERE we are. Oh look he won... but he's got to die now, we all knew that the second we saw The Baddie select 'Fatal Security Measures', so... And here comes the reference to that promise in the first scene that we've been waiting two hours for. (or however long this shambles was).

Sci-fi isn't supposed to be this utterly predictable.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 07:28:17 28-08-2013

• HarryPalmer 28 Aug 2013 10:42:50 3,319 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Look of Love - 4/5

A fun and interesting biopic about one of the UK's most controversial businessmen, Paul Raymond. It doesn't ask any tough questions, but then it doesn't make any judgements on his character either, and I'd rather it be that way, to be honest.

Coogan is excellent, he even gets to do some more impressions a la The Trip. The supporting cast is also very good, Chris Addison and Imogen Poots in particular.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 10:43:12 28-08-2013
  • graysonavich 28 Aug 2013 11:04:18 7,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has Elysium leaked already or is there just nothing else on at teh pictures? Keep hearing it mentioned recently.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Aug 2013 11:32:18 7,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It only just came out here. At the movies, that is.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:32:40 28-08-2013
  • macmurphy 28 Aug 2013 11:57:15 999 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Heat

Didn't seem to find it as funny as everyone else at the cinema but still a few laugh out loud moments. 7/10

Elysium

The best bad guy I have seen for a long time, but otherwise a bit of disappointment. Stunning imagery, great idea but just a bit bland in the end. Also anyone else think the ending left a lot of awkward questions? So all the people on earth can fix themselves, surely this will just lead to more poverty and tougher times as there were not the resources and jobs to sustain them already? I'm not trying to be smart, the ending just seemed a little trite and asked more questions than it answered. If that's the director's point, fair enough, but surely the most obvious conclusion would be that the population will expand quicker, making more poverty, so Matt Damon has basically saved a little girl but fucked over everyone on Earth. 7/10

World War Z

Thought this was pretty good. Some great set pieces, terrifying concept, reminded me of Contagion but with a lot more action. 8/10

Edited by macmurphy at 11:58:40 28-08-2013
  • Load_2.0 28 Aug 2013 11:58:34 19,267 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Has Elysium leaked already or is there just nothing else on at teh pictures? Keep hearing it mentioned recently.
    Long weekend plus a limited amount of options.
  • Deckard1 28 Aug 2013 12:01:57 27,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I wanted to go to the cinema on Monday and it was the only thing worth watching really (my girlfriend doesn't get Partridge). I just stole some stuff of tinternet instead.
  • graysonavich 28 Aug 2013 12:02:53 7,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah right. I thought it came out at the pictures a while ago, but that + bank holiday makes more sense.
  • Tonka 28 Aug 2013 12:57:15 20,409 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I keep confusing the three big SciFi flicks of this summer.
    Oblivion
    After Earth
    Elysium

I know one had Cruise and one had Smith and one is made by the guy who made District 9. But I find it hard to separate them in my mind.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• beastmaster 28 Aug 2013 13:20:20 11,412 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's a lotta love here for Life of Pi. Will check it out over the weekend.

I watched the holy trinity over the bank holiday weekend.

Star Wars - 10/10

Never a dull moment. What became apparent to me very quickly is just how much the prequels are sadly lacking. This film has characters you care about, warmth, heart, humour, etc.

The Empire Strikes Back - 10/10

My second favorite film of all time. Possibly one of the biggest cinematic risks ever taken and it pays off handsomely. Rebels get the shit kicked out of them and bad things happen. Few film franchises would dare try and do this now.

The Return of the Jedi - 7.5/10

Ahh...Jedi. It's pretty damn excellent until the Ewoks show up with their fucking "Yub! Yub!". It's a very two-tone kind of film. All the scenes with Luke and Vader are brilliant and then it's cuts to the furry, little fuckers.

Have got to say though, I think that the epic space battle is still probably the best there's ever been.

I watched these on BR and they look and sound amazing. I've got the original untampered films on Laserdisc stored away. I'm kind of tempted to dig them out but I know I'll just end up disappointed with the picture and sound, if the disc has no rot.

I'm getting kind of hopeful for the new films. News that they're filming on 35mm and using locations at least means...something.

Edit: +1 for The Look Of Love. Bought this on Blu-Ray and looking forward to seeing it again.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:22:13 28-08-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TipTop 28 Aug 2013 13:29:28 737 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hawk the Slayer - 9.8 / 10 (must be watched with the new Samsung 'Rose' tinted spectacles;) )

8/10. Better than ...

• Megapocalypse 28 Aug 2013 13:31:49 5,418 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    There's a lotta love here for Life of Pi. Will check it out over the weekend.
    Beautiful film. Make sure you see it on a decent sized screen on blu-ray and preferably in 3D.
  • graysonavich 28 Aug 2013 13:34:29 7,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In fairness of balance, Life of Pi bored the shit out of me.
  • Alastair 28 Aug 2013 13:42:15 15,723 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for reviewing the Star Wars trilogy - I'm sure there are people yet to see it. Glad to see no spoilers! :)

Not as nice as I used to be

• Deleted user 28 August 2013 16:42:30
    Monsters Inc.

Really is a good movie. short and sweet, and a lot of fun. And man.. that last shot :cry:

Looking a little bit dated in places though, sully looks great still. Not sure if its because i watched in SD rather than HD.

9/10
  • Happymagenta 28 Aug 2013 16:58:41 4 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Shame 85%
  • Chopsen 28 Aug 2013 17:05:59 15,965 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "It's a Disaster"

Found this on Netflix, and gave it a go knowing nothing about it (which has a poor yield rate of success on Netflix ime) on the strength of David Cross off of Arrested Development being in it.

Really enjoyed it! Nice indie film feel to it with some dark humour, but without being all up its own arse and bleak.

78%

Edited by Chopsen at 17:06:14 28-08-2013
  • ProfessorLesser 29 Aug 2013 00:32:16 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Elysium - 3.5/10

Boring, predictable, cliché, contrived, stupid, pointless film. Took a semi-interesting (and that's being quite generous) sci-fi premise and turned it into an unnecessary and unoriginal action film with no connection to its characters or even its own theme.
  • ProfessorLesser 29 Aug 2013 00:33:18 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    In fairness of balance, Life of Pi bored the shit out of me.
    Just didn't do it for me. Compared to the book, the film totally lacked impact, and made everything look spectacular and wonderful. Completely missed the point imo.
  • sirtacos 29 Aug 2013 05:19:50 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep. As is often the case, book > movie.
    Still, Ang Lee (don't make me anglee - you wouldn't like me when I'm anglee) didn't do a bad job of capturing the wonder that the narrator was conveying through the horror/boredom. It was a pretty forgettable one-note film, but it wasn't a massacre. And if it leads more people to the book, then all the better.

In a tenuously related note, I'm looking forward to Ender's Game. Really curious as to how that'll turn out.
  • Page

of 2767 First / Last