Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2320

• Page

of 2753 First / Last

• TheDarkKnight 21 Aug 2013 22:27:33 695 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Safety Not Guaranteed

I don't know about this film. It's trying very hard to be indie cool, but not hitting the correct groove. Nice female lead, you know the type, beautiful but can't connect with the world and doesn't have a boyfriend. Didn't build connections to the characters enough I suppose.

68%

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• irrelevanthuman 21 Aug 2013 22:31:36 365 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Elysium- 4/10

Very disappointing follow up to District 9. Foster turns in surely the worst performance of her career. Movie is a mess- script is poor, there is no one to root for, literally didn't care about the fates of any of the characters and the pacing was all over the shop. Good effects.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2013 22:32:16
    Gangster squad - 6/10

Could, and should be so much better. Some good shootouts and ocassional moments where Sean Penn convinces, but it was a bit disappointing.
  • Dante_Cubit 21 Aug 2013 23:16:46 1,921 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    The fountain.

So close to turning it off. So so close. It fucking bonkers and therefore i didn;t. it is fucking ludicrous, its knows it, and.. well i can't say by the end i wasn't entertained.

Genuinely don't know how to rate this one! The score i have had for some time, clint mansell is a legend.

i would go for a 5/10. It is shit. But its good shit. Probably an extra point for the best opening lines ever. I think it is a trap. It is a trap! What shall we do! Hehe instantly had a monty phython esq sketch play out in my head.
    It is a very underrated film. Solid 8/10 for me. Future cult classic.
  • Nanocrystal 21 Aug 2013 23:41:45 1,013 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's one of my favourite films, but I can see why some people hate it.
  • FWB 21 Aug 2013 23:49:46 44,360 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alan Partridge: 7.5/10

Good stuff. Classic Alan. Just a long version of the TV show. Had me laughing out loud in places, which a comedy hasn't done for a while. Still sniggering over the solution offered for the problems in the Middle East... Jislam. :)
  • captainrentboy 22 Aug 2013 00:22:33 981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Elysium - 70%
    Wasn't a patch on District 9. For some reason, between that film and this one, Blomkamp lost the ability to shoot action sequences well.
    There's some fantastic future tech on display (Still getting big Halo vibes from a lot of it) and, when the camera's not furiously shaking everywhere, the effects are pretty great throughout.
    Damon was good, Copley was OTT and a bit silly.
    Not bad, looked good in Imax, just hoped it would be a lot better.
  • Gartt 22 Aug 2013 01:12:36 1,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cloud Atlas ?/10

Dont know how to rate the film, I really enjoyed it to a point but the third act really let it down for me. Saying that, I immediately wanted to watch it again. Im so confusaed right now, did I like it? I dont know.
  • Deleted user 22 August 2013 01:18:37
    Europa Report - 7/10

Was okay. Nailed every "horror in space" cliche - crew bonding moment, sacrifice because of ship malfunction, person who explores a bit too far etc etc, but it does what it does reasonably well. Could have done without the WOO SPACE OCTOPUS ending though. Sharlto Copley was pretty wasted, though, might as well have been a cameo.

Better than that other found-footage-in-space turd Apollo 18, though.
  • Deleted user 22 August 2013 07:36:07
    Robot_Chubby wrote:
    @blacksea Need to check out both Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Lost Highway is awesome though: 'I'm in you're house!' - shiver.

And Blue Velvet still has one of the most genuinely frightening villains ever...
    Going to have to pick up Blue Velvet on Blu ray. I always thought the DVD looked poor as maybe the source material was poor quality. But no, seems many have moaned the DVD looks like a port from Vhs, while the Bluray looks great, and proves the original source footage was good quality. Quite why the DVD looks as bad as it does remains a mystery.
  • vijay_UK 22 Aug 2013 07:59:16 2,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @blacksea

I need to watch Inland Empire too, it just went off my radar until today. Thought Mulholland Drive was terrific, been a long time since I saw it though.
    Inland Empire is about 3hrs long, so it takes some watching. It's difficult to follow, if it can be followed at all. During the 3rd hour there's some moments that are disturbing in their own way. There is one particular image, a brief image that I find hard to look at everytime I watch the film, real nightmare stuff.
    I'll grab It off eBay, cheers for that.
  • binster 22 Aug 2013 08:54:03 513 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is my semi-regular reminder that The Fountain is an excellent film which is often misunderstood because the blurb on the back of the box misleadingly describes it as a love story across time.
  • Blaketown 22 Aug 2013 08:54:51 4,645 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Erm. That's exactly what it is. No?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• wobbly_Bob 22 Aug 2013 08:58:53 1,720 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    binster wrote:
    This is my semi-regular reminder that The Fountain is an excellent film which is often misunderstood because the blurb on the back of the box misleadingly describes it as a love story across time.
    I too think it's excellent, very beautiful and strange. I'll pick it up on blu-ray at some point. I can fully understand why a lot of people don't like it.
  • binster 22 Aug 2013 09:03:53 513 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Blaketown well, the 'past' stuff is what Izzy wrote in the book, and the 'future' stuff is Wolverine's coping method in his mind, so none of the film actually takes place across time. It's a present-day set story about loss and acceptance with some story-within-a-story stuff.
  • nickthegun 22 Aug 2013 09:04:55 59,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The gwaffic novel is also worth a read.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Load_2.0 22 Aug 2013 09:17:19 19,159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn I shouldn't have tried to quote meme, I unspoilered myself!

Still looking forward to seeing it.
  • Deleted user 22 August 2013 10:22:34
    binster wrote:
    For a simple love story its way over the top and convoluted with nothing really to say other than live everyday as your last. I was really entertained by it, but .. i guess its where you stand. It gets away with it, because the fantasy stuff is all book form - where i guess imagination can run riot. I think if you go with it, its great, even i found it entertaining, but its almost shockingly so bad, i almost turned it off. it just about gets away it. Worth a watch, but good? probably not.

I think it is testment to DA, that it practically all comes together. He knew exactly what he wanted to do. and did it.
  • binster 22 Aug 2013 10:33:09 513 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @joelstinton For me, I think it's the raw emotion that Wolverine shows that's really affecting. Like When he's tattooing the ring on his finger - big manly tears.

The fantasy stuff works really well, for me. The big catharsis at the end (with the awesome soundtrack) is a winner.

I think its message of moving on after loss is powerful and universal. Sure it's been said, but then so has everything.

I should probably learn Hugh Jackman's character's name in future.
  • Madder-Max 22 Aug 2013 10:38:56 11,641 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Star Trek - Into Darkness - 2013

Yes, I stole it.

It's a collection of old story elements, mostly Star Trek 2. It doesn't have the same impact though - somehow there is always the feeling that it's gonna be alright at the end - not much suspense.
    Everybody dismisses regulations, orders, just like that. At the end it's a bunch of kids running a spaceship - but it all turns out to be okay at the end.

I was rooting for Kahn in the second half of the movie.

I liked Star Trek 2009 - but this one...
    all mashed up - everybody can be Captain, disobedience doesn't matter, in fact nothing matters, at the end everybody's happy. Like 12 year olds. No consequences - no suspense - no interest.

6/10 - Could have been so much more...
    So its okay for u to review a pirated version but not me? K. I get it

/orders shitload of copies to review

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Megapocalypse 22 Aug 2013 10:49:55 5,396 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Robot and Frank - 8/10

Can't say much more than others have about this. Nice film, equally funny and sad. Ex burglar now struggling with dementia gets a little robot helper.
  • Dangerous_Dan 22 Aug 2013 11:05:10 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So its okay for u to review a pirated version but not me? K. I get it

/orders shitload of copies to review
    You get it?
    Because I don't.
    Maybe if you call yourself premptively a thief...
  • TOOTR 22 Aug 2013 14:56:24 9,533 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    It's one of my favourite films, but I can see why some people hate it.
    This.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• B0rked_Gamer 22 Aug 2013 15:09:42 2,577 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Star Trek Into Pirateness 8/10

For me this is a better movie than the 2009 reboot. Benedict Cumberbatch is simply awesome as Khan, Chris Pine is terrific as Kirk and it's always a pleasure watching the excellent Bruce Greenwood. I cared about the characters and what happened to them and that's getting to be a rare thing with me and movies these days. Sure, the opening 10 minutes was stupid but after that the tone shifted and the real movie began and I was never bored.

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 15:10:53 22-08-2013
  • mrpon 22 Aug 2013 15:22:47 28,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Managed to sneak a peek at this whilst hiding under Jacksons jacket, the fat twat. Not bad at all, I liked what they did with Smaug and some exemplary performances from Bilbo and Gandalf. Can't wait for part three now, might catch it next month.

7/10

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Dangerous_Dan 22 Aug 2013 19:04:41 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rambo - 2008

I re-watched it yesterday and what it does it does very well.
    There is only very little moral superiority postering in this movie...
    Surprisingly. Yes, it's clear who the 'bad' guys are but Rambo is there because it's what he is, what he does - self-realization moment.
    The mercenaries are there for the money. And the rebels aren't portrayed as completely innocent - in the end they do their part of slaughtering as well.

Good action, not too long (about 82 minutes without the long credits sequence), simple story, no over the top action, no pretending to be deeper than it is. A well done action movie.

I haven't seen the old ones in quite some time but it easily keeps up with 2 n 3. I think the first one is better though - has been a long time though.

8/10
  • -cerberus- 22 Aug 2013 19:48:23 2,728 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Inland Empire

This thing broke my mind/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Scimarad 22 Aug 2013 23:01:12 8,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iron Man 3

Completely loved it, really can't get my head around what some people were bitching about. I'd take Trevor over the 'real' Mandarin any day:)

9/10
  • Deleted user 22 August 2013 23:08:15
    @-cerberus- been wanting to see this for ages. How fucked up is it on a David lynch scale? Is it eraserhead levels?
  • monkehhh 22 Aug 2013 23:19:15 3,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan The first is cracking, though of a different breed to the others. I think one person dies and that's via an accident?
  • Page

of 2753 First / Last