Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2315

• Page

of 2800 First / Last

• vijay_UK 17 Aug 2013 11:38:34 2,257 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Maturin

You were being too kind to the TR remake. On a sidenote, try getting the TR tv series called Total Recall 2070. It's old, but good with some nice ideas from what I (barely)remember. 
  • Maturin 17 Aug 2013 11:39:39 3,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I liked how a glass surface became a phone.
    That was good. But we're clutching at straws here. :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Aug 2013 13:44:03 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So many things wrong with it. Let's talk about design, or lack of it. Production design meeting probably went like this...
    "So let's have your ideas for production design, what about New Britain?"
    "Minority Report."
    "Great, what about the colony?"
    "Blade Runner."
    "Fantastic. Okay meeting over."
    The atmosphere is the best thing about that movie.
    It's not outstanding but it's way above average - especially in the set-up phase of the movie.

The wife killer robot is the worst thing in it and the reason why she's part of this movie is because she did/does the director.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 13:44:48 17-08-2013
  • Maturin 17 Aug 2013 13:45:38 3,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    The atmosphere is the best thing about that movie.
    What atmosphere? The film is like a tune played on a piano with one key.
  • oceanmotion 17 Aug 2013 13:59:02 16,001 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What was the two weeks nod to the 80s one?

I can't remember.
  • Maturin 17 Aug 2013 14:06:33 3,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:

I can't remember.
    90s

Remember Arnie disguised as a woman from the original? Someone who looked like her came through customs and the dialogue was the same. But our hero was disguised as the next person in the queue with that hologram collar.

Edited by Maturin at 14:06:47 17-08-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Aug 2013 14:32:23 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What atmosphere? The film is like a tune played on a piano with one key.
    The props, the production design. What they did with the rest is a different story.
  • oceanmotion 17 Aug 2013 14:42:38 16,001 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:

I can't remember.
    90s

Remember Arnie disguised as a woman from the original? Someone who looked like her came through customs and the dialogue was the same. But our hero was disguised as the next person in the queue with that hologram collar.
    Ah right, vaguely remember now. Still love the phone glass. :)

1990, so long ago.
  • Maturin 17 Aug 2013 14:43:47 3,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    the production design.
    What? For this Film? OR the two it ripped off?
  • onestepfromlost 17 Aug 2013 14:47:31 2,083 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @Maturin

You were being too kind to the TR remake. On a sidenote, try getting the TR tv series called Total Recall 2070. It's old, but good with some nice ideas from what I (barely)remember. 
    This. It takes aspects of the original dick stories for Total recall and blade runner and makes it into a series. Had so much potential shame it got cancelled after one series. I would have loved more of this.

EDIT: oh and as for the hobbit, I found it annoying as you could not tell anyone apart in the fight scenes. One of the things in the big fights in the LOTR Aragorn, legolas and gimili all looked very different so in big fights you could pick them out quite easily.
    In the Hobbit since they are all dwarves its hard to differentiate who is who in the fights.

Edited by onestepfromlost at 14:50:45 17-08-2013
  • Gruff 17 Aug 2013 14:50:31 2,910 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Intouchables 8/10 Crap title, great film. French subtitled, with terrific performances from all involved, uplifting.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Madder-Max 17 Aug 2013 15:30:49 11,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stealth - 7/10

Suprisingly enjoyable flick about an ai controlled millitary drone gone rogue that leartns to feel emotion blahdeeblah blah.

Its a rip off of a star trek episode (voyager I think) but its generally okay and very watchable.

Terminator salvation. - 8/10

I totally rate Christian bale because he puts his all into every role he plays (apart from those batman films which were gloomy poo).

Just to see him in this kind of role is a rare treat and the film is enjoyable. It loses a point for the lack of the epic war that was supposed to be going on.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Bremenacht 17 Aug 2013 15:40:59 18,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Here? Bet some of you can't remember it being in the film.
    o/

:D

Managed to nod off before the end too. Pretty sure I missed nothing worth seeing.
  • vijay_UK 17 Aug 2013 16:05:01 2,257 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @Maturin

This. It takes aspects of the original dick stories for Total recall and blade runner and makes it into a series. Had so much potential shame it got cancelled after one series. I would have loved more of this.

EDIT: oh and as for the hobbit, I found it annoying as you could not tell anyone apart in the fight scenes. One of the things in the big fights in the LOTR Aragorn, legolas and gimili all looked very different so in big fights you could pick them out quite easily.
    In the Hobbit since they are all dwarves its hard to differentiate who is who in the fights.
    +1.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Aug 2013 16:38:34 7,654 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kick-Ass 2

All over the place. It reminded me of a 12-year-old kid who swears and says DICK CUNT FUCK BITCH etc. as much as possible, so people can marvel at how grown-up and controversial and rebellious he sounds.

But the novelty has worn off.

4/10
  • TechnoHippy 17 Aug 2013 19:52:52 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Robot and Frank

I enjoyed watching this a lot. It's a nice simple idea, Frank is an old cat burglar who is struggling with the onset of dementia. He has trouble looking after himself and is losing his memory. His son is trying to get him into a home, but Frank refuses, so the son buys him the latest in robot helpers. The robot is programmed to improve Frank's help, but initially Frank is hostile to the idea.

The film progresses in a gentle manner, Frank warms to his new companion and starts teaching it some of the tricks he learnt in his days of crime. The film is about Frank's relationship with the robot, in parts it reminded me of the better parts of AI. The robot's character is on the face of it a simple one, it obeys it's programming, but is quite clever in how it resolves conflicts in the decisions it has to make.

It's a gentle film, but a lot of fun to watch and even manages to provoke some thoughts and a few chuckles. The performances from the main characters are all solid, although some of the supporting cast aren't great, but not bad enough to spoil the film. A recommended watch.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• captbirdseye 17 Aug 2013 20:09:08 5,088 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pain and Gain

Based on the true story of idiotic bodybuilders who kidnap and extort their victims.

Strange one. Probably the best film Bay has done since The Rock but it is a little jarring with the comedy when you consider the awful things these guys did. However, some of things they did were just plain idiotic. Decent performances all round especially from Dwayne Johnson.

6/10

Edited by captbirdseye at 20:09:42 17-08-2013
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 17 Aug 2013 20:27:45 2,437 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Monsters University.

Meh. Jokes fell flat, no charm, no interesting characters and just not a patch on Monsters Inc. Had a couple of laughs, but the slowdown near the end almost killed it totally and the kids were all getting fidgety.
    Outstayed it's welcome and proved Pixar don't get it right all the time.
    I wanted to see Planes, anyway. Maybe next time they'll listen to me.

Just thought - I was pissed off with the heavy emmitt traffic through Newquay, making us miss the first 5 mins of the film. Then after dropping the wife and kids off outside the cinema, I found the car park next door was rammed and had to go a few streets away then run to the cinema in the pouring rain. Probably didn't put me in the best mood for a film I didn't want to see anyway...So I'll maybe add a point or two tomorrow...

3/10

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Dangerous_Dan 17 Aug 2013 20:51:32 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    the production design.
    What? For this Film? OR the two it ripped off?
    And if it ripped off 10 films... it would still be good production design.

Btw. to make that clear, I'm not saying it's a good movie, I prefer the original. Although the old one hasn't aged that well. I saw it a few months ago and it didn't live up to the memories at all.

Anyway - my point is, the production design is the best part of the movie - it's not outstanding but it's good. You find obvious similarities to two other movies and so that ticks you off - I didn't see those and so I see the production design just for what it is not hampered by the knowledge that they ripped it off. (according to you)

On a side note, I also liked the three-breasts chick. She had more charm than both female leads combined - well, actually his wife had negative charm for me so that's not fair on Biel.
  • -cerberus- 17 Aug 2013 21:15:31 3,138 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar Agreed. It felt like one of those straight-to-video Disney sequels from the 90's.

Edited by -cerberus- at 21:15:53 17-08-2013

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• TechnoHippy 17 Aug 2013 21:43:45 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh

I really enjoyed watching this, it has a real sense of dread to it. An old woman dies and her estranged son returns to the family home. He doesn't take the hint of it being one hell of a creepy house and inevitably the spooky stuff starts happening.

What I liked about this is that it works the creepy angle rather than going for cheap shocks or gore. It took a little while to get going, but once it did it was an excellent ride. There was a moment I thought they were going to spoil the good work (don't worry I won't spoil it for you!), but I was pleasantly surprised that they handled it wonderfully/

I also liked the metaphysical angle to the story. It keeps you guessing even after the final credits roll. This is an excellent horror film, well worth a watch.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 17 August 2013 22:10:00
    X-MEN

Entertaining. Showing its a age a little bit now, but good entertainment with a bit of backbone. Pretty simple and reigned in, basically a two hour cartoon epsiode, but it kind of works for it.

7/10
  • Deleted user 17 August 2013 22:12:54
    Trance, pretty good climax and good start but didn't enjoy the middle.

Didn't like the female lead and it is probably Danny boyles worst movie.

69/100
  • Megapocalypse 17 Aug 2013 23:00:55 5,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    300 - 6/10

Not seen it since the cinema, and though enjoyable it wasn't as good as I remember. The bits where they're not fighting were boring, and the bits where they are fighting were better in Spartacus.
  • Angry_Man_Dan 18 Aug 2013 00:02:15 175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Taken 2

Not terrible, but not particularly good either. Completely unecessary too.

5/10

PSN / NNID -Angry_Man_Dan

• Deleted user 18 August 2013 06:11:00
    Auto Focus (2002) 8.5/10

‘A story about "Hogan's Heroes" star Bob Crane and his friendship with John Carpenter.’ - IMDb

Picked this DVD up in Cex for 75p, it was worth every penny and more. The direction and acting are exceptional. Both Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe are excellent. Auto Focus is based on a true story. The DVD contains Bonus material including a documentary about Bob Crane.

The story charts the downfall of Bob Crane (played by Greg Kinnear) who goes from successful radio DJ, progresses to television with hit show Hogan’s Hero’s, and meets John Carpenter (played by Willem Dafoe) who is into the latest electrical gizmo’s, which back then (the 1960’s) were things like Hi-Fi and huge video camera’s. Bob descends into a world of sex, thus destroying two marriages, his career, and ultimately his life.

• sirtacos 18 Aug 2013 06:47:05 7,316 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Harakiri, Death of a Samurai

Tragic, overly dramatic, and fucked up.

-The music is intrusive.
    -Either the acting is a bit wooden, or I'm not in tune with the cultural nuances of feudal Japanese society. (Which I certainly am not.)
    Whatever the case, I feel ambivalent about the exceedingly deliberate, solemn and ceremonial performances on display.

+Cinematography is good.
    +Choreography is good.
    +Not a disposable action thriller like I half-expected it to be.
    +I quite liked it. It's definitely a downer though.

6/10

edit: apparently this is a remake of "Seppuku" (1962).
    The original is supposedly much better.

Edited by sirtacos at 06:55:55 18-08-2013
  • Deleted user 18 August 2013 10:43:21
    The Wolverine.

Good movie. Good action.
    Didn't care for the romantic part.

8/10
  • hal_inc 18 Aug 2013 11:50:54 138 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    the place beyond the pines.

9/10

It takes a while, but the third act is well worth it. ryan gosling as image, not actor, thats the best way to use ryan gosling in a movie.

the kid who plays bradley cooper's son is also worth the admission alone.

see it!

although of course you end up becoming yourself
    psn: orin_inc

• Page

of 2800 First / Last