Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2296

• Page

of 2800 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 August 2013 01:25:59
    The Conjuring.

Really was the very definition of meh...reviews suggested was going to be great and something different but just wasn't the case.

seenitallbefore/100%
  • Robot_Chubby 3 Aug 2013 08:28:33 260 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ben Wheatley Movies:

Down Terrace: 7/10
    Kill List: 7.5/10
    Sightseers: 8/10
    A Field in England: 7.5/10
  • TarickStonefire 3 Aug 2013 11:14:37 3,240 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not strictly a 'film' but on Netflix so...

Steve Coogan Presents Alan Partridge and Other Less Successful Character: 2/10

Fucking. Awful. Even the Alan stuff was shit. After putting up with about 45 minutes of utterly terrible, desperately poor stuff from Pauline, Paul, that roadie guy and some other 'comedian' character he does, just to get to the Alan stuff, we ended up turning it off before the end. Just depressingly bad.

I suspect that's coz he wrote it himself?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TechnoHippy 3 Aug 2013 13:43:11 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alex Cross

Alex Cross is a thriller based on one of James Patterson's crime novels. An assassin has been hired and Alex Cross has to hunt him down, when the assassin kills Cross's wife the hunt becomes a quest for revenge.

It's not a great thriller, it takes a while to get going and the investigation is pretty poor. It's saving grace is the assassin who is well played by Matthew Fox. The film became more about what he would do next, rather than the hunt for him. In fairness he is a fun bad guy to watch.

On balance it's an average thriller, worth a rental or picking up cheap.

5/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• captainrentboy 3 Aug 2013 14:15:14 1,020 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Conjuring - 60%
    It's shot very well, with some nice long takes combined with inventive/snazzy camera moment, the acting was great across the board too (Sometimes the kids in films like this are shitty and ruin the film)
    The problem lies in that it's not particularly scary, and even though it was atmospheric and well directed, I've seen it all 100 times before. Most of the scares rely on a classic 'Boo' jump scene, which have now become stupidly predictable, almost down to the second.
    Apart from that there were ugly dolls, ugly old women, folk being dragged around by an unseen force and a possession/exorcism sequence to end it all.
    "I haven't slept for weeks" my arse.
  • Maturin 3 Aug 2013 14:23:12 3,094 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Not strictly a 'film' but on Netflix so...

Steve Coogan Presents Alan Partridge and Other Less Successful Character: 2/10

Fucking. Awful. Even the Alan stuff was shit. After putting up with about 45 minutes of utterly terrible, desperately poor stuff from Pauline, Paul, that roadie guy and some other 'comedian' character he does, just to get to the Alan stuff, we ended up turning it off before the end. Just depressingly bad.

I suspect that's coz he wrote it himself?
    I attempted to watch this on Netflix the other day. Didn't get past the opening song. Dreadful.
  • Madder-Max 3 Aug 2013 15:08:21 11,660 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember watching that and none of the characters were anything like they are in their respective tv shows, and the singing just ruins it even more. Tommy saxondale is my favourite characyter and his portrayal in this is appauling

Edited by Madder-Max at 15:09:40 03-08-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• TechnoHippy 3 Aug 2013 16:11:30 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jack Reacher

This was a lot of fun to watch, in fact it's probably the best Tom Cruise film I've seen in a while. It starts with a sniper shooting several people seemingly randomly. The shooter is quickly caught, but requests that Jack Reacher investigate. The basic premise of the story is pretty simple and not very original, but it is well told.

Tom Cruise does a good job with the role and has some good moves on him. The film blends action with the investigation well. The bad guys are suitably nasty, although the actual plot is reasonably low key, which works for me. It all feels very gritty, but has more than the violence to keep the story going.

The plot has the requisite twists and turns to keep things interesting. It doesn't require you to think too hard, but you don't have to turn your brain off either. Good fun and well worth a watch.

7/10

• MrSensible 3 Aug 2013 16:15:11 25,204 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    I remember watching that and none of the characters were anything like they are in their respective tv shows, and the singing just ruins it even more. Tommy saxondale is my favourite characyter and his portrayal in this is appauling
    I actually really liked the show tbh... I mean it wasn't amazing, but good enough for a Coogan fan. HOWEVER, I completely and utterly agree about Saxondale. What the hell did he do to Tommy?!?!
  • Mola_Ram 3 Aug 2013 16:26:41 7,658 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lesson of the Evil - 8/10

I have no idea how Takashi Miike makes movies this quickly. He seems to average at least two a year, and they almost never look rushed.

Anyway, this is basically a slasher movie. A teacher has problems with some of his students, and solves the problems by murdering them.

The lead actor is electrifyingly charismatic, and the gore as good as you would expect from Miike - although not nearly as icky as Audition or Ichi the Killer.

If you're a fan, watch it. It's not his best, but definitely worth a look.
  • Robot_Chubby 3 Aug 2013 17:08:31 260 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Jack Reacher

This was a lot of fun to watch, in fact it's probably the best Tom Cruise film I've seen in a while. It starts with a sniper shooting several people seemingly randomly. The shooter is quickly caught, but requests that Jack Reacher investigate. The basic premise of the story is pretty simple and not very original, but it is well told.

Tom Cruise does a good job with the role and has some good moves on him. The film blends action with the investigation well. The bad guys are suitably nasty, although the actual plot is reasonably low key, which works for me. It all feels very gritty, but has more than the violence to keep the story going.

The plot has the requisite twists and turns to keep things interesting. It doesn't require you to think too hard, but you don't have to turn your brain off either. Good fun and well worth a watch.

7/10
    It's a great film, and really underrated. I love the books, they're far better written than they deserve to be. They really get it right in the film, despite the fact that Cruise looks nothing like Reacher. Just really hope it picks up enough cash to get a sequel, would make a great franchise.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Aug 2013 17:23:16 14,719 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Robot_Chubby

I'd watch another.

• Kostabi 3 Aug 2013 18:28:29 4,975 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had a day of watching westerns and drinking. It's been excellent.

Django - 10/10

I picked this up more out of curiosity spawned from the Tarantino film than anything else and I'm glad I did. I now get why it's so highly regarded as it has everything I like in westerns - buxom wenches, fun one liners, a no nonsense gunslinger and lots and lots of people getting shot.

Fistful of Dollars - 10/10

Much like Django it just rattles along from one set piece to another. Brilliant.

For A Few Dollars More - 8/10

It's a good film but it lacks the pace and humour of Fistful. Lee Van Cleef was one steely faced mother fucker.
  • Gartt 3 Aug 2013 19:12:49 1,778 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red 2 - 7/10

If you enjoyed the first you'll enjoy this. More of the same really, which for me, isnt a bad thing. John Malkovich chewing the scenery and Helen Mirran stealing every scene she's in, everyone looks like theyre having a blast.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 19:41:44
    LOTR: The Two Towers (Extended Edition)

Although not quiet perfection like FOTR this is still a near perfect film and out of the three extended cuts the biggest improvement over the cinema release. Plenty of interesting additional scenes.

Although this perhaps deviates the most from the book with several events happening that did not at all in the book. Farimer? character is totally butchered for one and the elves don't assist in the defence of helms deep! :)

Superb overall though and whilst many didn't like it I enjoyed the humour added by Gimlis character.

By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered.

Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?

But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now.

Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

10/10

Time for ROTK extended. :)
  • Lukus 3 Aug 2013 20:01:45 19,247 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Conjuring

Pretty good I thought, although it does nothing new it did it all well.

7/10

Paintings & Photographs

• disusedgenius 3 Aug 2013 20:13:46 5,399 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered.
    I always liked that this quote was made whilst they were in Osgiliath - possibly the most egregious of all the changes from the book. So yes Sam, by rights you really, REALLY shouldn't have been there.
  • oceanmotion 3 Aug 2013 20:27:14 16,001 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it Storm or Halle Berry or writing that ruins X-Men?

I was quite enjoying it until she turned up. Maybe it's just better when X-Men aren't actually in teams fighting each other.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 20:42:45
    Ooh, Kick Ass on 4 shortly...getting all psyched for the 2nd one now.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 20:47:17
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Choppi wrote:
    I always liked that this quote was made whilst they were in Osgiliath - possibly the most egregious of all the changes from the book. So yes Sam, by rights you really, REALLY shouldn't have been there.
    True but there are so many changes, best just enjoy them, the witch king doesn't defeat gandalf for one! (Rotk gandalf is saved in the movie but in the book he doesn't require help)
  • nickthegun 3 Aug 2013 21:01:57 60,419 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dogmudgeon wrote:
    Ooh, Kick Ass on 4 shortly...getting all psyched for the 2nd one now.
    I still cant work out how a movie that has a character called 'The Mother Fucker' can be a 15.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Scurrminator 3 Aug 2013 21:28:30 8,435 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Jack Reacher

7/10
    The big problem I had was that you KNOW the guy they arrested us telling the truth as you see the real sniper doing the killing in the opening rendering the whole investigation boring for the viewer as you watch jack teacher come to that conclusion you're already aware of!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• kalel 3 Aug 2013 21:39:25 88,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Jack Reacher

7/10
    The big problem I had was that you KNOW the guy they arrested us telling the truth as you see the real sniper doing the killing in the opening rendering the whole investigation boring for the viewer as you watch jack teacher come to that conclusion you're already aware of!
    Yeah, that was really strange. I think the idea is that you're all confused as to what's going on, but it's pretty obvious what's going on.

There is a general flaw with this type of film now as well, which is the twist is ALWAYS that one of the goodies is a baddie, and it's generally the one that is portrayed as the best bloke, which in this case made it incredibly obvious that the black guy was a baddie, and the dad wasn't.

So yeah, pretty generic and predictable all round, but watchable nevertheless.
  • Rens11 3 Aug 2013 22:21:03 1,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Castle of Cagliostro

Really enjoyed it, funny at times and was a nice surprise to hear David Hayter as the voice of Lupin

8/10

Oblivion

Wasn't expecting much but turned out really good, best sci-fi film that I've seen for a while

8/10

Edited by Rens11 at 00:25:55 04-08-2013

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• oceanmotion 3 Aug 2013 22:37:20 16,001 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    X-Men

At times it really is great, like the first 15 mins before Storm and Cyclops show up but takes a dive when more characters are on show. Just isn't that engaging and becomes predictable and cheesy.

I'm quite excited to see Days of Future Past if Singer can bring the better side of his films.

6/10

Edited by oceanmotion at 22:38:47 03-08-2013
  • wogsy81 3 Aug 2013 22:46:22 748 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Choppi Yup, The two towers is amazing no doubt. Looking forward the TRotK review :)

I watched The Two Towers a couple of months back and the part when Legolas says "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard" i immediately starting singing the famous (and i think very funny) they're taking the hobbits to Isengard video that is famous on youtube.
    It pulled me out of the movie for a few seconds but in a good way :)

I lent the extended editions off a mate of mine a few months ago and watched them all over a weekend including extras. They're epic films, freaking epic. Modern day classics no doubt.
  • Maturin 3 Aug 2013 23:19:24 3,094 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Killer Elite 7/10

Have just watched this via US Netflix. Really enjoyed it. An old school thriller that had a bit of the feel of The Professionals or Who Dares Wins - albeit with modern production values and violence. While the film is set in 1980/81 that feel came more from the gritty tight cinematography than the wonderful Cortinas and Capris.

It's a Jason Statham film and he is his usual brilliant self, kicking people in the face. There's an extended cameo by Robert De Niro and Clive Owen does a great turn as the bad guy with a period-feature 'tache.

The Killer Elite isn't an amazing film. But it's an interesting story and it's told very well. Even more interesting is who wrote the book it's based on and the background behind that - but I won't mention that. Read up on it after you've watched the movie.
  • ProfessorLesser 3 Aug 2013 23:23:39 19,358 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Is it Storm or Halle Berry or writing that ruins X-Men?

I was quite enjoying it until she turned up. Maybe it's just better when X-Men aren't actually in teams fighting each other.
    I like Storm :(

I can't really blame the character or the actress for any of X-Men's faults. I'm not even sure it's really that faulty. We're just used to a different set of tricks from superhero films these days. Don't forget, you're talking about quite the trend-setting film of the time!

Near the turn of this decade, we'll be looking back on the Dark Knight trilogy with a little more cynicism, I'll bet.
  • disusedgenius 3 Aug 2013 23:38:26 5,399 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah, I don't think so. It's more like, at the time, superhero films were generally so bad that it's rough edges were quickly forgiven.
  • Page

of 2800 First / Last