• nickthegun 31 Jul 2013 18:34:14 61,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of keanu, heres a cross between Ninja Scroll and the matrix

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 31 July 2013 18:39:11
    Yeah, there's some sort of weird underlying idea that The Matrix suddenly came out of nowhere with very little marketing, but it was probably one of the largest (and arguably most innovative) marketing campaigns of the 90s. WhatIsTheMatrix.com had a colossal buzz about it, even off the internet. The problem was that people were new to viral marketing and didn't quite know what to make of it (especially those without internet access), so the movie ended up being a bit of a slow burner at the box office.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 18:55:27
    Blair Witch had an incredible campaign. Most of the trailers didn't even show the film, just the audience reactions, and the internet of the time made the fake websites seem plausible - one of those things that will basically never be replicated again, despite the efforts of Paranormal Activity et al. I'm pretty sure that it still holds the record for budget-to-box-office ratio.
  • BinaryBob101 31 Jul 2013 19:15:32 24,449 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The One again?!? Fucking stupid.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 31 July 2013 19:17:11
    ronuds wrote:
    Well, he doesn't have much else to talk about concerning his career. :p
    I don't man, he just done that documentary side by side, which considering his output as an actor, is quite a feat. He really seems interested by film theory, so it be quite interesting to see what he does from here.
  • senso-ji 31 Jul 2013 20:22:24 6,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Speaking of keanu, heres a cross between Ninja Scroll and the matrix

A professor is Japanese History at the University I work at was hired as a consultant for that film. Looking at that trailer, either the professor is a fraud or Keanu didn't listen to a word he said.
  • Frogofdoom 31 Jul 2013 20:31:55 1,088 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He gave away loads of the money he got from the Matrix to the special FX crew didnt he, may not be the best actor but a pretty decent guy for doing that.

found it: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=102572&page=1
  • HarryPalmer 31 Jul 2013 21:39:03 3,585 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Empire of the Sun - 6/10

It doesn't get much cheesier than this. Entertaining though.

Read miracles of life recently, it was much better.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 21:43:03
    Wolverine: Origins.

Shit. The last 20 minutes is kind of cool and fits in well, but the rest is rubbish. Some shockingly bad CGI- those horrible shots of the first time he get his blades.

Its like half a origin story, the montage at the beginning would have been ripe for a good story. It would have been more interesting than what happened. I like my comics, but havn't read much x- men, so not sure what the origin stories are like. will check some out though.

Patrick stewart look liked he had a face lift but it melted afterwards.

4/10
  • CharlieStCloud 31 Jul 2013 21:55:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @joelstinton

Sadly, the new one isn't that much better either.

: (

The Wolverine doesn't offer much in the way of excitement or suspense, although the story is better than I halfheartedly expected.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 21:57:18
    Oh dear :( i would have easily given the first a 3, but i did think the last 20 were worked in well to what is become , so i was generous and gave it an extra point.
  • Jacksie66 31 Jul 2013 22:28:57 574 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gonna sit back, watch some episodes of the sopranos, get some crunchy nut and watch dark city for the first time....
  • b0rk 31 Jul 2013 22:48:44 2,943 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm seemingly one of the very few people who like X-Men Origins: Wolverine. For me it manages to strike the right balance between talkie bits and action set pieces. It helps that I don't know or care about what goes on in the comics and apparently some fans were upset with how Deadpool was handled but again that means nothing to me. Some of the special effects are shocking bad for some reason but I can make it through the movie without ever feeling bored.
  • dominalien 31 Jul 2013 23:09:09 7,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wolverine

I'm really surprised at how much I liked it. They were only showing the 3D version and for once I didn't mind. The Japanese girls are breathtaking, each for a different reason. I got a very strong X-Men vibe from it (I liked all 3 movies), one that I found entirely absent in the previous Wolverine film.

A strong 8/10 on the silly film of the summer scale. I'm not even going to try and rate it on a general scale.

PSN: DonOsito

• glaeken 31 Jul 2013 23:15:48 11,266 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HarryPalmer If you are talking about the film based on the Ballard book try the book. It's not at all cheesy. The tone of the film is totally different. It's Speilberg'd to the max. They could never have included some of the stuff in the book though as it's proper grim in places and a bit of a mind fuck that some one could go through that and not come out nuts. Mind you having read a bit of Ballard in my time he was certainly not quite normal.
  • Scurrminator 31 Jul 2013 23:39:16 8,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Warm bodies
    7/10
    Was really enjoying it but the last 20 mins was crappy :-(

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Deleted user 31 July 2013 23:52:56
    Wolverine. Total and utter gash.

You know a movie is going to be scraping the barrel when it throws not one but two contrived and cheesy dream sequences at you in the first five minutes.

My wife enjoyed for all the right reasons I'm sure.

18%
  • HarryPalmer 1 Aug 2013 09:12:48 3,585 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @glaeken - Yeah I love Ballard, Miracles of Life is his autobiography, and it talks a great deal about the events of Empire, which is why I wanted to watch it.

You're right, it's Speilberg at his most sentimental and obvious.
  • imamazed 1 Aug 2013 09:15:19 5,964 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Social Network

Very well told; didn't think I would enjoy this but I did. Late on, Zuckerberg gets reassured "you're not an ass****". Judging him on this film, he is an ***hole.

8/10
  • nickthegun 1 Aug 2013 09:21:16 61,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    A professor is Japanese History at the University I work at was hired as a consultant for that film. Looking at that trailer, either the professor is a fraud or Keanu didn't listen to a word he said.
    They quite often to that for an air of authenticity and then completely ignore them to the point that they ask not to be put on the credits.

See: 300 for more details.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Steve_Perry 1 Aug 2013 09:22:16 5,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah he doesn't come off well in that film. I'm not sure he would give a shit though. He probably watched it sitting on his duck tales pile of million dollar coins.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 09:26:04
    On the back of the mentions for The Blair Witch ad campaign it's only on subsequent viewings I really appreciate how god the movie is. I was so hyped for this on its original release and remember going to some art house cinema in Cardiff to see it and being really underwhelmed and disappointed. When I watched it a couple of years later on DVD I totally loved it and must have seen it about 20 times subsequently and love it more and more each time.

We don't talk about the sequels. :(
  • TheSaint 1 Aug 2013 09:32:00 14,833 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Heat 5/10

Reasonably funny although most of the better jokes were in the trailer.
  • shamblemonkee 1 Aug 2013 10:23:09 14,661 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dogmudgeon I saw it at midnight on halloween or something, never been so bored in a cinema in my life (well, other than spiderman 3 but i'm trying my hardest to forget about that).

As an exercise in movie hype though it is unsurpassed.
  • Page

of 2866 First / Last