of 2801 First / Last

• Deckard1 31 Jul 2013 07:23:50 28,748 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No you're wrong
  • CosmicFuzz 31 Jul 2013 07:37:20 24,906 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tbf I have also read that they had to make Bound first to prove themselves before being allowed to make the matrix. No idea when it was written in relation to dark city though.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Mola_Ram 31 Jul 2013 07:42:11 7,699 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Quick look at the Wiki page seems to suggest that ideas for Dark City had been floating around since at least 1994.

Not that it really matters to me. They're different enough to not warrant the "ripoff" label in either case. DC is still a masterpiece either way, and the Matrix is great as well.
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Jul 2013 07:44:35 14,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Despicable Me 2

Totally loved it :)...as did my 7 year old daughter. As fun/better than the already awesome first film.

100%

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• beastmaster 31 Jul 2013 08:40:34 11,616 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thing that I remember about The Matrix was that there wasn't THAT much hype when it came out. The studio really wasn't sure what they had with this film.

Keanu Reeves was something like the 10th choice actor for the role of Neo and other big name actors such as Russell Crowe turned down the role of Morpheus.

However, it turned out that everything came together perfectly and it was a ground-breaking film in terms of visual effects.

Nobody, least of all the studio, expected it to be a success. Then the hype kicked in for the not planned at all sequels. I remember reading an interview with Joel Silver where he stated something like "We're going to raise the bar so high, there will be no bar!".

Wouldn't be surprised if they did another sequel, despite what happened at the end. They make even reboot it and call it The Matrix Rebooted.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 31 July 2013 08:43:49
    Again I can say, the brothers always planned a trilogy.

They also were considering another trilogy about 18 months ago but went all quiet.
  • Deckard1 31 Jul 2013 08:44:09 28,748 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No you're wrong
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 08:50:55
    If anyone has the matrix limited edition it has the brothers talking about the sequels in pre production feature.
  • Deckard1 31 Jul 2013 08:51:54 28,748 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nah
  • beastmaster 31 Jul 2013 08:53:49 11,616 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm...If they planned it is a trilogy, they certainly didn't announce it until after the first one was a hit. The only other thing I can find is one guy on a blog stating that they penned the original script as a stand alone in case it flopped.

Perhaps they didn't announce it is a trilogy because at the time nobody gave a flying fuck.

These days, you not only get the announcement of trilogy/series of films, you get the release dates as well. The dates for the next 3 Spider-Man films have been announced.

• CosmicFuzz 31 Jul 2013 08:54:04 24,906 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see it that they were like 'it would be great to do a trilogy' but they didn't write the scripts or anything. The sequels are too different from the first IMO.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• CosmicFuzz 31 Jul 2013 08:58:59 24,906 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair maybe in the nerd world, but it very much took everyone else by surprise. I remember Empire etc had very little coverage before it came out, putting it in their 'also out soon' or whatever section with a tiny preview. No one was really expecting it to be as big as it was.

• beastmaster 31 Jul 2013 09:00:12 11,616 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Clearly my wind was on other things at the time :-)

I just remember going past a cinema with my mate, seeing the poster, having a spur of the moment decision to see it and coming out and going "Woah!".

I still have my Nokia 8110.

• Deleted user 31 July 2013 11:14:23
    beastmaster wrote:
    Clearly my wind was on other things at the time :-)

I just remember going past a cinema with my mate, seeing the poster, having a spur of the moment decision to see it and coming out and going "Woah!".

I still have my Nokia 8110.
    FOTY 1999
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 11:32:54
    graysonavich wrote:
    Choppi wrote:
    The matrix trilogy was penned before dark city was in production[1]. It wasn't made then as the brothers weren't known and so the studio wouldn't fund it until they proved themselves with a low budget film first[2].

The brothers then created and directed the film bound and was deemed good enough by warner brothers executives[3] to green light one matrix movie with the rights to any sequels if successful at the box office[4].
    Fixed
    Many thanks, do you have a inward growing penis?
  • nickthegun 31 Jul 2013 11:40:32 60,496 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Matrix was proper Star Wars territory. Years of trying to get it off the ground and then having to complete it on a budget led to a focussed, tight and inventive movie.

Then someone gave them a big bag of cash with no oversight and they shat themselves and turned in overblown horse shit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• psychokitten Moderator 31 Jul 2013 12:07:19 7,794 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The second is okay, I can bear to watch it, decent action scenes sort of hold it together. The third is just absolute garbage though. I'd have to be rewarded handsomely to sit through it again. It's just drivel, and they clearly didn't know where to take the story.

Anyway....

The Conjuring
    8/10
    (BetterThanInsidious/10)

I'm potentially being a little generous with an 8 (I have a soft spot for James Wan). Really enjoyed this though. Really really solid performances from everyone (even the kids, one scene in particular with one of the girls comes to mind), consistent, some nice scares and set-ups. Lots of smaller moments that are just a bit unsettling and building up to something without taking it too over the top.

I'm not entirely sure if it's deserving of the "instant horror classic" label it's getting. I think I feel more positively about it today than just after I watched it. It doesn't do anything new, but it does just get things right and refines fairly standard horror/scare tactics, and gets the tone right. Just solid, really, but not revolutionary.
  • bad09 31 Jul 2013 12:42:44 6,008 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The problem with the Matrix sequels was the change in direction. 1 was about mankind imprisoned in a virtual world by machines and used as a power source, it was interesting and a little scary. The 2 sequels touched on that but were mainly vehicles for over the top set pieces focusing on nonsense like Smith being a virus made by Neo and the awful "ghosts and monsters" being old leftover programs. The freeing of mankind is almost an afterthought in Revolutions.

Whether or not it was a "planned trilogy" it's clear they had no clue what to do if they did get a trilogy from the first one.

Edited by bad09 at 12:43:49 31-07-2013
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 31 Jul 2013 12:47:52 2,440 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AFAIK - The brothers planned the films from the beginning as a retelling of Jesus Christs story. It's just that the studio made them slightly re write the first as a standalone in case it flopped. (Think there was something about the very last scene with Neo in the phone booth wasn't even filmed until after the first few trailers were released and they saw the hype starting to build they realised they'd done something good and called Keanu in for shooting that last bit...)
    The overall story arch was written, but the details and action sequences weren't down until long after The Matrix was released.
    Can't remember now where I got this from, multiple sources probably. But I'm pretty sure a few others I've talked to about it (at the time) thought the same.
    Probably completely wrong, but hey.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Deleted user 31 July 2013 12:49:34
    2 and 3 were nothing more than vague ideas in their head until matrix 1 came out. It did well, the studio and them wanted to make more.

It was the George Lucas approach to film making - too little control and constraint, too much fan service and their own philosophical wankery.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 12:55:30
    Wolverine

Utterly pointless shitty film that went nowhere and achieved nothing. Feels completely disconnected from the rest of the Marvel movie universe.

Whogivesashit/10
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Jul 2013 12:58:27 14,982 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Wolverine

Utterly pointless shitty film that went nowhere and achieved nothing. Feels completely disconnected from the rest of the Marvel movie universe.

Whogivesashit/10
    Re whogivesashit...my wife as long as he is even half buff...she disgusts me!

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Dgzter 31 Jul 2013 17:31:12 203 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) 8.5/10

Really enjoyed this. The initial pull included, directed by Woody Allen, but unlike his typical stuff. Starring Javier Bardem, one of my favourite actors at the moment, and Scarlett Johansson, from the not so interesting Lost In Translation.

The film is sprinkled with short bursts of upbeat music, and narration explaining all that going on. Makes you want to jet off to Barcelona.
    I also love VCB, and I'm a huge Allen fan, but I'm very suprised that you thought this represented something 'unlike his typical stuff'. Could you say a bit more? For me this is classic Woody when he is in his comfort zone, with all the humour, music, and bourgeois sensibilities in tow :)

In fact, I'm getting a bottle of red on the way back from work and watching this again tonight. Cheers.

P.S. If you've not seen it watch his 'Scoop'. It wasn't well received, but Woody, Johansson and Hugh Jackman are great in it, and I really enjoyed it.
  • TOOTR 31 Jul 2013 17:35:59 9,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cell 211

What a great film. You might 'guess' where it will end up but there is no way you will see the turns it takes to get there.

And the main 'villain' is a simmering mix of violence, pride and a kind of noble honour.

87%

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• TOOTR 31 Jul 2013 17:37:48 9,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    The thing that I remember about The Matrix was that there wasn't THAT much hype when it came out. The studio really wasn't sure what they had with this film
    Um. The whole "What is the Matrix dot com" viral (when viral was viral not "popular youtube video") was massive. The whole internet was talking about The Matrix, as Gremmi said earlier, it ticked very much every box of the time.
    The whole internet back in 1999 was mostly on dialup...and the average punter thought it belonged to the geeks.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• ronuds 31 Jul 2013 18:16:34 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone know if they're still releasing more Matrix movies? I remember reading a while back that Keanu said they would, but I haven't heard anything since.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 18:22:45
    It's pretty much a certainty that they'll reboot it or do another sequel at some point, but nothing in the immediate pipeline. Keanu Reeves seems to mention it and Bill and Ted 3 every time he's interviewed, so I wouldn't take much from what he says.
  • Page

of 2801 First / Last