Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2287

• Page

of 2867 First / Last

• King_Edward 29 Jul 2013 08:00:13 11,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    [u]Monsters University[/u]

Decent enough, with some good jokes and performances. No heart though.

6/10
  • craigy Staff 29 Jul 2013 08:55:51 7,847 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dial M for Murder (1954) -- in 3D!

Went to the BFI to see a restored version of this. Hitch filmed it in 3D back in the fifties, which is an amazing thing to consider.

It's a pretty long winded talkie, and the 3D is very subtle. NFT1 is such a lovely auditorium that it immediatelt makes any film you see in there one point better. So it gets...

9/10
  • bad09 29 Jul 2013 09:00:48 6,256 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wrath Of The Titans

The Clash remake was bloody awful but I like a bit of Greek mythology me (thanks to the original Clash) so glutton for punishment and with expectations meter set to zero I thought I'd have a laugh and cringe at this and was surprised to find it a fairly watchable film that's quite a spectacle FX wise.

Still a strange film though with aussie, northern, cockney accents all over pulling you out of the world they are trying to portray and even without the silly marine haircut Worthington is still out of place and awkward (why is he a big star anyway? He's fucking terrible in everything I see him in).

Brainless, cheesey, extremely dumb but enjoyable with good action and FX and somehow better than the first.

50%
  • Fab4 29 Jul 2013 09:11:24 6,216 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Raven - 5/10

Again...nice to look at but I didn't give a fuck for any of the characters. John Cusack has been in some dross lately.
  • imamazed 29 Jul 2013 09:21:24 5,964 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The World's End

Quite liked Shaun despite its flaws, and I loved Fuzz. This is by far the weakest of the three though. As others have said, it does just feel like an episode of Dr Who. That would be fine if it was funny enough, but it just isn't. There are a few good laughs but not nearly enough. A big disappointment.

5/10

The Hunter (2011)

Loved this. Perfect casting with Dafoe as a solitary man of nature. Beautifully shot, with a subtle and graceful tale. It has a truly haunting quality to it.

9/10
  • nickthegun 29 Jul 2013 09:24:13 61,348 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    James and the Giant Peach - Still really cool. The live action stuff is really stylised and kind of cheap looking to the point that it looks like the set of a play, but the animated sections still look brilliant. Its a great story and the film is really faithful to it.

Oddly, for the first time I noticed that its Richard Dreyfuss as the voice of the caterpillar, not Brian Doyle Murray as I always assumed it was, for some reason.

8/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 29 Jul 2013 09:26:50 61,348 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyday's a school day.

• simsini 29 Jul 2013 09:30:15 338 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The World's End - 5/10

Spent nearly 2 hours waiting for the laughs to start, very disappointing compared to the other two films. Should have learnt from the awful trailer, but couldn't resist going to see it.
  • nickthegun 29 Jul 2013 09:32:08 61,348 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hes really funny. Its great that they are both in Caddyshack.

• tuff 29 Jul 2013 10:43:52 629 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fast and Furious 6

Absolutely bonkers.

A gravity defying 9.8%
  • HarryPalmer 29 Jul 2013 10:50:04 3,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    The World's End - 6/10

Doesn't compare to the first two. Made me nostalgic for Shaun and fuzz. Wished it was just pegg and frost, the rest of the cast felt out of place. And frosts personality change half way through jarred. Really dragged in places. The premise just isn't as good as the other films. Terrible effects too.

But it has its moments, and is consistently funny, just not as funny, clever or entertaining as the others. It had the whiff of middle aged men trying to recapture past glories, ironically. SHAME
    I really hate to point this out, but that actually was the whole point of the film; I know you say "ironically", but when there have been interviews with Pegg, Frost and Wright saying that that is the point of the film, reflecting that they're knowingly in that exact position in their own lives, you're a bit late to the party. So, is it ironic that you think it was ironic, when they were actually reflecting on how ironic it was they were making this film?
    I meant: it was a group of men trying to recapture past glories (Spaced, SotD, Hot Fuzz) and failing. As in, this film is nowhere near as good as the others. So yeah, it's fairly ironic.
  • Madder-Max 29 Jul 2013 11:55:34 11,689 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Die Hard in the White House. Evil foreigners ramshackle the White House leaving a Scottish Secret Service agent to rescue the President. Lots of people get killed in the process, and the bad guys are brutal. The good thing about this film is there are no token black guys or silly side kicks.

Leave your brain at the door and you will enjoy this. Loud, dumb with zero thinking.

5/10
    I thought morgan freeman was in this as wise old token black guy? (Not seen film)

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Blaketown 29 Jul 2013 12:10:08 4,955 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Watch 61%
    As many moments that piss you off with how shit they are as there are laughs. But there are laughs. If you can watch Ben Stiller films it's not the worst one, not going to win over anyone who hates him though.
    Moss from The IT Crowd is good in it. He keeps saying he's called Jamarcus but it's definitely Moss from The IT Crowd.

GI Joe Retribution 15%
    How the fuck did this get made? Utterly baffling.
    The Rza put's in one of the worst performances ever captured by a camera. At least it was the worst performance ever captured by camera until they shot the rest of the film.

Rust & Bone 90%
    Beautifully shot, brilliantly performed. Totally fell in love with this film. Marion Cotillard is a goddess.
    Strangely uplifting considering how grim it gets at times.
    The bit where the little lad falls through the ice stayed with me for ages after the film ended. I can't cope with shit like that since I became a Dad.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• mrpon 29 Jul 2013 12:11:35 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The boss guy in Christmas Vacation!!!

Sorry, carry on.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 29 July 2013 12:12:26
    Why are people saying Hot Fuzz was good when the talk about The Worlds End?

Hot Fuzz was an awful, unfunny shitpile.
  • Deleted user 29 July 2013 12:15:16
    Good old spuds and his cheery moods and love of everything.

Happiest guy in the world.
  • mrpon 29 Jul 2013 12:16:39 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    He's also the "This man has no penis" guy in Waynes World
    Yes! That's the scene that was stuck in head.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• HarryPalmer 29 Jul 2013 12:19:08 3,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. Hot Fuzz was hilarious and charming. Especially when compared to The Worlds End.
  • Deleted user 29 July 2013 12:19:16
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Good old spuds and his cheery moods and love of everything.

Happiest guy in the world.
    I sort of liked SoTD. Does that count?
  • Deleted user 29 July 2013 12:20:43
    Everyone likes SoTD, so no.
  • Deleted user 29 July 2013 12:24:51
    I also think Hot Fuzz was a pretty average film. I wouldn't say it was awful or unfunny, but it was closer to those than it was "hilarious" to be brutally frank.
  • mikew1985 29 Jul 2013 12:30:01 13,047 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched it again recently and liked it a lot more than I did originally but yeah it's not brilliant.
  • Blaketown 29 Jul 2013 12:32:52 4,955 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Appear to be in the minority but I think Hot Fuzz is way funnier than Shaun. Watched it way more often too.

It clearly has structural issues and doesn't hold together nearly as well as Shaun as a cohesive film but I think it's more fun.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Page

of 2867 First / Last