Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2279

• Page

of 2771 First / Last

• Lukus 22 Jul 2013 14:20:26 19,121 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Superman - Man of Steel

It was ok, nothing special. Predictably po-faced and lacking in colour. The action scenes were boring and uninventive and hard to follow, which is unforgivable for a film of this kind with a character who can basically do anything.
    The shakey/hand-held camera effect irritated me within the first few minutes too. I don't understand why it was used for certain scenes at all when a static shot would have been more sensible. It's not dynamic or interesting like it thinks it is.
    The bad guy was quite good. Cavill was ok but not really pushed. Lois Lane wasn't slutty enough.

6/10

The World's End

Stupid but quite funny in parts. It reminded me of Doctor Who, but I'm not a Doctor Who fan.

6/10

Paintings & Photographs

• BinaryBob101 22 Jul 2013 14:22:01 22,992 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lukus, in what way did it remind you of Doctor Who?

The Grumpy Vaper

• TheMayorOfJugs 22 Jul 2013 14:22:49 3,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The man had a big coat.
  • Lukus 22 Jul 2013 14:27:38 19,121 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The plot really and the kind of enemy they encounter - Humans replaced with Robots, their personalities assimilated - that kind of thing, the general sort of campy, daft, sinister tone Doctor Who exudes too. Little England gone weird.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deckard1 22 Jul 2013 14:58:41 28,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just thought you meant it was shit.
  • spindle9988 22 Jul 2013 15:38:12 3,590 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Harold and Kumar Christmas 8.5/10

These films are a bit marmite but Ive enjoyed every one so far. This is no exception, its really funny. If yopu dont like the 1st 2 than you wont like this one, for those who do its well worth checking out

Its on swedish netflix as well
  • Deleted user 22 July 2013 20:14:51
    Ghost In The Shell 2.0 (2008) Blu-ray Dispointed/10

Blu-ray offers two options, none of which are satisfactory.

Option 1 - Watch the original Ghost In The Shell (Ghost In The Shell 2.0) with Blu-ray picture quality with the addition of CGI. It seems a really odd thing to do, to take a film, and replace scene’s here and there with new CGI versions (of the original). The CGI is good, but like all CGI it could be better. The really odd thing is, is the decision to mix two different styles, hand-drawn and CGI ?

Option 2 - Watch the original Ghost In The Shell, non Blu-ray standard, with a picture quality that fails to match that of the original DVD (I have the DVD also, and the contrast looks better on the DVD).

I would have preferred a 100% re-master for the Blu-ray. If they wanted to do a complete remake using CGI, then do that.
  • oceanmotion 22 Jul 2013 20:49:19 15,959 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The American

Quite enjoyed the slow pace and not much going on in this film. Maybe just in the mood for it and not knowing anything about it before hand. Terrific boobs on show as well. End was perfect.

7/10
  • Madder-Max 22 Jul 2013 22:14:15 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IP Man - 9/10. I love a decent martial arts flick and this is bang on. It stays away from politics of the japanese invasion of japan and just basically says, "they invaded, killed lots of our people and caused starvation" and that's it.

All about the kung foo and its great. There's another one on tonight on film 4. Ip man the legend of a grandmaster. 23.45. Ill be home just in time for it!

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Deleted user 22 July 2013 22:21:43
    oceanmotion wrote:
    The American

Quite enjoyed the slow pace and not much going on in this film. Maybe just in the mood for it and not knowing anything about it before hand. Terrific boobs on show as well. End was perfect.

7/10
    i recorded this the other day, shall watch soon. I loved the director previous film 'control' but this recieved mixed reviews, look forward to watching it though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jul 2013 23:26:31 35,578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    The American

7/10
    i recorded this the other day, shall watch soon. I loved the director previous film 'control' but this recieved mixed reviews, look forward to watching it though.
    Fantastic film, one of the highlights of the last few years for me, but then I generally love slow films. Very cool, very atmospheric, and with the cinematography you'd expect from a famous photographer shooting a film.
  • vijay_UK 22 Jul 2013 23:32:50 2,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @UncleLou

Totally agree, Lou. Outstanding film, more people ought to have seen this movie.

No robots, no people flying in the air, no werewolves, no spaceships, no aliens. Just a simple, well done film.
  • SparkyMarky81 22 Jul 2013 23:46:23 565 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally got round to watching Django and I love it.

Great acting, great action, and quite funny too. As usual, Di Caprio is great and even Samuel L Jackson is pretty good.

9/10
  • HarryB 23 Jul 2013 00:02:17 6,202 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The World's End
    7/10

IT is quite funny once it gets going - several nods to their other films (cornettos, fence vaults etc) but the Simon Pegg is far too annoying in this - over the top and generally too much like an American trying to play the part of a brit. I think Star Trek had gone to his head. The rest of the guys were much funnier.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 01:12:31
    The Conjuring - 7/10. What it does, it does well, but it's also been done dozens of times before. It sticks so rigidly to the possession horror template there's very little in the way of surprises, but it keeps up a good atmosphere anyway.
  • Deckard1 23 Jul 2013 08:04:57 28,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it scary?
  • RyanDS 23 Jul 2013 08:13:00 9,389 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hot fuzz.

Holds up very well, loved every second. I forgot just how brutal this is! Love the flying kick into an old. Women's face...

9/10

Shaun of the dead

Not quite as good as I remember, a bit jarring as it splits between comedy and darkness. Still good thou.

8/10

With those rematches can't wait to see the third part of the trilogy tomorrow.
  • LeoliansBro 23 Jul 2013 08:17:26 44,321 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zero Dark Thirty. 8/10. Ally McBeal goes to Pakistan, being all self reliant and with great hair and the courage of her convictions and that sort of shit. Bit thin on the intelligence detail behind the process of tracking Bin Laden down and very keen to show you the horrors of torture in a balanced-but-warts-and-all way. But a gripping narrative made more grounded through the use of archive footage (the 7/7 bombing made me jump in shock still) and there's no denying the intensity of the final half hour.

Should be watched, will stand the test of time, but a bit flimsy under it all.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 23 Jul 2013 08:39:07 87,775 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure how balanced the torture stuff was. The message seemed to be very clearly "torture works and is really important" to me.
  • disusedgenius 23 Jul 2013 08:47:35 5,341 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Predators - 5/10

Pretty bland stuff unfortunately. Kinda, slightly interesting-ish idea on paper, maybe, but the film ended up being uninspired and very predictable.

The Japanese guy gets a samurai sword battle with a Predator, you say?! The seemingly normal doctor turns out to be a psycho, really, I'd wondered why he was part of a group of killers??! He came back for the girl, well I'm flabbergasted!1!one?/!

The Raid - 9/10

Much much better! Surprisingly stylish and pretty tight film. Kept the pace up and kept me interested throughout.
  • TarickStonefire 23 Jul 2013 09:29:47 3,107 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I just thought you meant it was shit.
    It's okay though, because he didn't. He meant it was quite good, with a general sort of campy, daft, sinister tone Doctor Who that exudes too. Y'know? Little England gone weird.

Like Doctor Who. Which is quite good if you just stop expecting it to be exactly the sort of show it never has been. :)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:33:08 23-07-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 23 Jul 2013 09:30:59 3,107 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Zero Dark Thirty. 8/10. Ally McBeal goes to Pakistan, being all self reliant and with great hair and the courage of her convictions and that sort of shit. Bit thin on the intelligence detail behind the process of tracking Bin Laden down and very keen to show you the horrors of torture in a balanced-but-warts-and-all way. But a gripping narrative made more grounded through the use of archive footage (the 7/7 bombing made me jump in shock still) and there's no denying the intensity of the final half hour.

Should be watched, will stand the test of time, but a bit flimsy under it all.
    She never struck me as anything like Ally McBeal, what with being a pretty hard-nosed character who stuck to her guns throughout and never once went off to have a cry about a boy in the toilets...?

Or did you mean her physical appearance?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:35:52 23-07-2013

• Steve_Perry 23 Jul 2013 09:32:08 4,278 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Ally McBeal goes to Pakistan
    I would pay £50 quid to see that movie.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• shitfuckcunt 23 Jul 2013 09:32:50 7,359 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Hot fuzz.

Holds up very well
    I should hope so, considering it's about 5 minutes old.
  • TarickStonefire 23 Jul 2013 09:34:47 3,107 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Hot fuzz.

Holds up very well
    I should hope so, considering it's about 5 minutes old.
    Actually, six. Years.

Though yes, six years isn't exactly a long time. Spaced, now that's a Pegg/Frost/Annoying Director Guy production that's held up very well.

• TarickStonefire 23 Jul 2013 09:37:18 3,107 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RyanDS Interestingly I'm the other way around. Hot Fuzz was okay, 6/10, just one trope after another and no, guys, just sticking a whole load of tropes in a bag and doing your 'thang' with them intercut with one whooshy whip-pan after another doesn't make them any less predictable.

Whereas Shaun is a stellar 10/10 for me all day long. Love it :)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:37:55 23-07-2013

• khaz 23 Jul 2013 11:43:26 2,787 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Funny, I think Shaun has just as many tropes as Hot Fuzz, just about a different genre and uses all the same tricks as well.

It definitely has better comic timing though.

Edited by khaz at 11:44:48 23-07-2013
  • TarickStonefire 23 Jul 2013 11:46:03 3,107 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Funny, I think Shaun has just as many tropes as Hot Fuzz, just about a different genre.

It definitely has better comic timing though.
    Yeah that's what makes the difference for me. Also, I like zombie pastiches done well. And Hot Fuzz just felt like the same sorts of jokes stretched even thinner, for folk that like cop buddy movies, but I've seen cop buddy movies lampooned plenty of times.

And by that time they were all far too well-budgeted and full of themselves - not that this is necessarily a bad thing, they deserved success, but it has a habit of killing that certain X-factor that their previous work had.

Shaun is just more my cup of tea by a long, long way.

• imamazed 23 Jul 2013 11:48:07 5,642 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Shaun of the Dead is the weaker film because I like and appreciate zombie films. The last half hour is pretty awful.

Hot fuzz has perhaps one too many twists in it, but, for me, it hits the right comic notes again and again. One of those films where I laugh at new things every time I see it.

Edited by imamazed at 11:48:26 23-07-2013
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 11:49:20
    i love hot fuzz, but as a westcountry man, it hits home quite a lot. Also i grew up watching stuff like midsommer murders which it parodies down to a tee. so yeah i love it.

SOTD is great too though.
  • Page

of 2771 First / Last