• Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2013 14:21:00 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can't beat the classics.
  • captainrentboy 18 Jul 2013 14:23:27 994 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jack the Giant Slayer -† 65%
    Bit of a slow start, but once they all got up the big arsed beanstalk it picked right up, and the final 20 mins or so were some of the most fun (Giants smashing lots of shit up) I've seen this year.
    I still can't decide whether Nicholas Hoult is a terrible actor or not, but McGregor, Al Swearengen and Bill Nighy all had fun in their roles.
  • imamazed 18 Jul 2013 14:27:49 5,642 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    I was very tempted to walk out of Sunshine. I wish I had've done.
    Really? That's surprising. I even liked the slasher section in that though, so what do I know.
    I understand many people liked it, but I consider it Boyle's worst fillum by a long distance. Utterly presposterous, an awful script, a laughable sun man and, worst of all, boring as sin.
  • Sharzam 18 Jul 2013 16:20:29 2,898 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @captainrentboy

I quite liked it,† sure not Oscar material but a good bit of fun.† Strikes me as a Saturday afternoon movie that is perfect in winter.†

So Jack and Co I give:

7/10

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• varsas 19 Jul 2013 11:12:00 2,403 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    In the most respectful way possible, I reckon a lot of people just don't get what Pacific Rim is all about.
    I know about the old school films/animes and different genres it's paying homage to, or has taken inspiration from. I've read about Del Toro, where his ideas come from and what he wanted to do with this flick.
    But IMO, it just didn't excuse that middle 45 minutes or so of shit acting, shit script, awful characters (Those facking scientists) and general crumminess.
    I'd still happily give it a 7, but I expected a lot better stuff from GDT.
    It's always interesting to see how differently people perceive the quality of acting and dialogue in films.

On a more general note I think PR suffers a little for being a throw back in terms of it's style of action film; I thought it felt quite Star Wars-like in terms of a blockbuster.
  • Tonka 19 Jul 2013 12:41:48 20,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    World War Z
    I'm surprised how much I liked this. Yes,it's the bbiggest waste of a license ever and No, íRealí Zombies don't run.

But if this had been called Zombies! I would have thought it one of tye better zombie films ever.

Leave your inner geeksnob at the door and itís:

Well worth watching

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• TheSaint 19 Jul 2013 12:47:52 14,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Despicable Me 2 - 5/10

Really disappointing. Bits of it were entertaining but it relied far too heavily on the minions that IMHO aren't as funny as they think they are and were far more effective in their minimal role in the original. Not to mention cheap jokes from fart guns and the like.

Hopefully Monsters University will be better but not overly optimistic.

Edited by TheSaint at 13:12:40 19-07-2013
  • vijay_UK 19 Jul 2013 13:11:54 2,176 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Waterworld.

I've always enjoyed this film, a film that has been unfairly judged on how much it cost to make. And how can anyone resist Denis Hopper's false eyeball?

The lack of CGI bullshit works for me, 7/10.

Edited by vijay_UK at 13:12:32 19-07-2013
  • boo 19 Jul 2013 13:17:11 11,786 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did anyone catch 'Hansel & Gretel' when it was doing the rounds? I missed it, but it's out on DVD now, and I'm sorely tempted by Gemma Arteton in tight fitting leather.

Is it any good?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Ka-blamo 19 Jul 2013 13:28:49 7,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it looks good :)

• Buztafen 19 Jul 2013 13:37:26 16,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    On a more general note I think PR suffers a little for being a throw back in terms of it's style of action film; I thought it felt quite Star Wars-like in terms of a blockbuster.
    Aaah but which Star Wars? Empire or Menace?
  • IronGiant 19 Jul 2013 14:49:06 4,508 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Did anyone catch 'Hansel & Gretel' when it was doing the rounds? I missed it, but it's out on DVD now, and I'm sorely tempted by Gemma Arteton in tight fitting leather.

Is it any good?
    Erm, no is the quick answer. Watch Byzantium instead if you have a thing for gemma :)
  • IronGiant 19 Jul 2013 14:50:50 4,508 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    Menace unfortunately, the scientists in PR are almost as annoying as Jar Jar Binks!
  • varsas 19 Jul 2013 14:53:39 2,403 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    varsas wrote:
    'A New Hope' especially with the main cast being the underdogs plus the acting and dialogue is often derided in that film.

Edited by varsas at 14:55:40 19-07-2013
  • ronuds 19 Jul 2013 14:58:56 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo wrote:

Is it any good?
    I don't know about Hansel and Gretel, but if you want to see Gemma Arterton she's wearing a lot less in Alice Creed. And the film isn't a complete disgrace. Two for two!

If you didn't know!

Edited by ronuds at 14:59:26 19-07-2013
  • specialgamer 19 Jul 2013 16:21:47 129 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pacific Rim - 3/10
    Very pretty, but mind-numbingly boring movie with nicely animated CGI robots bashing CGI monsters. First half-hour of set-up is dull, followed by a lot of dull crashing and bashing and knocking and pounding. The noise levels were cranked up to max for the majority of the film in an unrelenting fashion, which just left the whole thing feeling flat. Also lacked anything approaching humor to break up the monotony, the couple of attempted gags were feeble and obvious. Not a patch on the far superior mainstream action flick from this year: Star Trek Into Darkness.

Edited by specialgamer at 16:29:21 19-07-2013
  • captainrentboy 19 Jul 2013 18:08:35 994 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @boo I watched Hanzel & Gretel yesterday, it wasn't too bad, some good gore and alright fight scenes. Worth a gander if you're particularly bored!
  • Gartt 19 Jul 2013 21:56:52 1,740 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GI Joe Retaliation - Dudebro/10
    If I was a 14 year old boy into call of duty this wouldve been the greatest film ever made. As it is its fairly entertaining, if brain cell killing, fluff full of casual racism and oohraa-ing.
  • oceanmotion 19 Jul 2013 22:12:04 15,959 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Welcome to the Rileys.

Decent indie film and good performances from the cast. Kristen Stewart knows how to be unwashed that is for sure. Melissa Leo was excellent. Good drama with a bit of heart and real life to it. Didn't go the way I thought which was nice.

6/10
  • captainrentboy 20 Jul 2013 00:13:18 994 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jerry Maguire - 90%
    Yeah it's Tom Cruise on maximum Tom Cruise-y mode and it's overly sentimental in parts, but it's still one of the better 'feel good' movies around.
    What the hell happened to ole Cuba?
  • Gartt 20 Jul 2013 00:46:12 1,740 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From oscar winner to straight to video, sub-seagal shit. It is quite a fall from grace.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2013 01:21:35
    Killing Them Softly

For what they produced it was great 10/10 content and delivery imo, but as a complete film it feels like a 90 minute exert from a film that should be Deer hunter in length. The film is told against an impoverished disillusioned political backdrop and works hard to produce some subtle take away points about the American dream, which probably takes it up a notch. I'd happily watch it again soon so thatís a good sign. Weighing up all the cons and pros it is probably 77%
  • tuff 20 Jul 2013 08:24:09 625 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Worlds End

Enjoyed it but its not as good as the other 2 in the 'cornetto' trilogy.
  • spindle9988 20 Jul 2013 08:45:38 3,590 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am either going to see this is the end or the worlds end tonight. Cant decide which one
  • thedaveeyres 20 Jul 2013 10:37:42 11,101 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dredd

The highest compliment I can pay this is that it was literally the comic brought to life. 95/100%

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• captainrentboy 20 Jul 2013 14:40:17 994 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Robocop- 90%
    Thought it was due a re-watch (All the talk at ComicCon of next year's 'reimagining' spurred it on a bit) and even after 25 years+ it still holds up brilliantly. If only Hollywood still had the balls to give films like this a chance at the cinema, rather than the 12a watered down shite we largely get nowadays. Paul Verhoeven should do one more sci-fi flick, for old time's sake, before he quits directing for good.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2013 14:43:18
    Jack reacher. 7, much better than expected and a solid thriller.
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Jul 2013 18:31:50 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only God Forgives - Jesus wept/10

Don't go into this expecting an entertaining Drive-style experience.

Expect one absolutely self-indulgent, self-fellating, ridiculously preposterous arthouse project from Refn, with everybody's favourite autistic, lip flapping, meat puppet Gosling looking bemused as always, set against a seedy Bangkok background.

Expect an insane plot regarding a Thai fight club run by Gosling being a front for his drug-dealing brother's antics, said brother rapes/murders a 16yo lass, who in turn is murdered by her father, all set up by a frankly psychotic, pyjama-wearing, karaoke-loving, badass midget cop who loves his blades. By the time the 40-something, blonde bombshell, slightly incestuous matriarch of the family business shows up to sort it out, all bets are off.

Expect lots of meandering direction, long profile shots of characters looking blankly at the camera, and the odd burst of gloriously brutal violence.

Expect it to be a chore to watch.
  • Page

of 2771 First / Last