Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2275

• Page

of 2589 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 17 Jul 2013 19:40:01 4,690 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was thinking back to 'this year (so far) in films' when I walked out of seeing Monsters University earlier on.

Is this one of the most underwhelming year for quite some time?

... feels like only a small handful of films springs to mind that are actually bloody good, like Before Midnight (film of the year, me thinks!), Behind the Candelabra and This is The End, purely because I knew nothing about it and was so very funny.

That's it.

I think all the summer blockbuster films were surprisingly underwhelming although I have yet to go and see Pacific Rim.

Anyone else kind of feel the same way as I?
  • captainrentboy 17 Jul 2013 19:52:39 840 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, I've had mild enjoyment, at best, from the big blockbusters this year, but not one of them ended up as good as I was hoping it would be.
    Poorly shot action sequences are becoming more noticeable to me (Whether it be quick cutting, unnecessary shakey cam, poor choreography), and once I start noticing how shit they are, I get pulled right out of the movie.
    I still have some hope remaining, Elysium and Gravity should be awesome (Two directors with some great films under their belts) . Alan Taylor could do a good job with Thor 2, and The World's End is getting a fair amount of praise too.

Edited by captainrentboy at 19:56:36 17-07-2013
  • muttler 17 Jul 2013 19:57:19 3,771 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rise and Fall of a White Collar Hooligan

Below average, story line / script is a bit rubbish and the two cops with the gangsta speak cheapened the film hugely. Just about worth a watch, if your into British crime flicks.

5/10
  • oceanmotion 17 Jul 2013 19:58:29 15,250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CGI action is rather boring unless it is done well with some imagination and emotion that doesn't result in a hollow experience you hope ends sooner rather than later. Pretty much everything falls into the boring and bad category.

Looking forward to Elysium as well.
  • beastmaster 17 Jul 2013 20:21:41 10,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved Iron Man 3. The rest have (so far) been poor to utter fucking shite. Still to see a couple though.

The very fact I've not advanced booked tickets or been in any rush to see most of the films this summer says a lot for me. Truth be told, Man Of Steel seems to have put me off summer films. Although it could be this lovey weather too.

Got a feeling that Kick Ass 2 is going to suck balls!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• HarryPalmer 17 Jul 2013 21:27:30 2,630 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pacific Rim - 8/10

Really enjoyable. Some terrific visuals, good characters, fantastic attention to detail, lots of visual humour. Only really marred by being a tad too long, not having any daytime battles, and a bit of a weak ending in my opinion.

The best blockbuster in ages.
  • IronGiant 17 Jul 2013 21:45:27 4,422 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man of Steel - 6/10 Got off to a good start on Krypton, thought Russell Crowe did a decent job and so did Costner. Liked Zod and Cavill put in a decent shift as Supes, he was in fantastic shape so filled the suit properly! The effects were good but unfortunately Snyder goes down the Transformers 2 route with fights that are headache inducing as they go on for way too long. Just how many buildings need to be destroyed or how many times do we need to see Superman get thrown along the floor cutting through the concrete?? It went a bit Matrix Revolutions with the fight at the end which i wasn't that keen on.

Pacific Rim - I have 2 scores for this one, score for Special Effects = 10/10. Score for the film itself = 3/10. Abysmal acting, not quite at the level of Battleship but pretty close at times. Rubbish paper thin characters though not surprising as they spunked the whole budget on the visuals which are astounding at times. Ending was suitably cheesy but it's worth a watch if you don't mind turning your brain off. It's kind of a mashup of Hellboy 2 and Transformers 3. The so called scientists are just ridiculous and not funny at all.. don't even ask about the idiots with crap australian accents.
  • altitude2k 17 Jul 2013 22:34:04 3,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In the most respectful way possible, I reckon a lot of people just don't get what Pacific Rim is all about.
  • Inertia 17 Jul 2013 22:36:32 675 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sophie Scholl: final days 9/10

Wow! What a sad courageous story. After watching Pacific Rim which is OK this kind of destroys it by being such a powerful true story. Tiny budget but huge impact. Good acting and it just holds you all the way through. You could make a play from this quite easily as it doesn't have too many settings.

I know where I'll visit first if I'm in Munich.

I looked her up on the internet after the movie and discovered she was voted the 4th best German of all time, above Einstein, Bach and Beethoven. But I had never heard her name before I saw this. I won't forget it now though.
  • Trowel 17 Jul 2013 22:54:05 16,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    In the most respectful way possible, I reckon a lot of people just don't get what Pacific Rim is all about.
    In the most respectful way possible, that's a load of horse shit.
  • beastmaster 17 Jul 2013 22:57:56 10,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Bay - 3.5/10

An un-horrific horror film that's you're probably not best watching before you go to the beach. On second thoughts, you're probably best not watching it at all, beach or no beach.

Yet another found footage film which this time focuses on mutant thingies that get mutant from eating steroids that are in the chicken shit from a nearby battery farm. This from the director of Rain Man, Good Morning Vietnam & Disclosure.

It's what you may call watchable. The actings not bad and there is a decent scare or two. Would have been better as a Troma film.

• captainrentboy 17 Jul 2013 23:47:55 840 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    I know about the old school films/animes and different genres it's paying homage to, or has taken inspiration from. I've read about Del Toro, where his ideas come from and what he wanted to do with this flick.
    But IMO, it just didn't excuse that middle 45 minutes or so of shit acting, shit script, awful characters (Those facking scientists) and general crumminess.
    I'd still happily give it a 7, but I expected a lot better stuff from GDT.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2013 00:11:53
    Son Of Rambow!

What a cracking film. Really good script, that nails those moments you had when you were a kid to a tee, without being forced, or rose tinted. Ashame it kind of falls on a conventional last quarter, perhaps even last half, but its a minor complaint when the rest is a joy. Also a shame that jessica stevenson role is so straight.

Totally sucked in by its heart.

9/10

Edited by joelstinton at 00:12:13 18-07-2013
  • robthehermit 18 Jul 2013 13:39:24 3,831 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The last two films I watched courtesy of Netflix defy ratings. Firstly we have:

Poolboy: Drowning Out The Fury.

Good fun and strangely watchable. Kevin Sorbo stars as a Vietnam veteran trying to reclaim the LA pool cleaning business from the Mexicans.

And up next we have:

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.

Typical Troma tosh. Lots of low budget gore, terrible script, worse acting. Highly recommended. Everybody should have watching a film about giant zombie chickens on their bucket list.

Also for consideration, I recently watched

Hansel and Gretel Get Baked.

An amusing comedy horror twist on the classic tale. I reckon it deserves 7/10.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• RedSparrows 18 Jul 2013 13:42:25 20,762 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    Sophie Scholl: final days 9/10

Wow! What a sad courageous story. After watching Pacific Rim which is OK this kind of destroys it by being such a powerful true story. Tiny budget but huge impact. Good acting and it just holds you all the way through. You could make a play from this quite easily as it doesn't have too many settings.

I know where I'll visit first if I'm in Munich.

I looked her up on the internet after the movie and discovered she was voted the 4th best German of all time, above Einstein, Bach and Beethoven. But I had never heard her name before I saw this. I won't forget it now though.
    I didn't know it existed, I must watch (and weep :()
  • Load_2.0 18 Jul 2013 13:45:45 18,201 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I was thinking back to 'this year (so far) in films' when I walked out of seeing Monsters University earlier on.
    Do people get any satisfaction leaving a film before it finishes?

How could this have been so appalling? Given it's an animated kid's film in an similair vein to the previous films.
  • spindle9988 18 Jul 2013 13:55:11 3,384 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    The last two films I watched courtesy of Netflix defy ratings. Firstly we have:

Poolboy: Drowning Out The Fury.

Good fun and strangely watchable. Kevin Sorbo stars as a Vietnam veteran trying to reclaim the LA pool cleaning business from the Mexicans.

And up next we have:

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.

Typical Troma tosh. Lots of low budget gore, terrible script, worse acting. Highly recommended. Everybody should have watching a film about giant zombie chickens on their bucket list.

Also for consideration, I recently watched

Hansel and Gretel Get Baked.

An amusing comedy horror twist on the classic tale. I reckon it deserves 7/10.
    Get baked keeps popping up on netflix. Wil give it a view now
  • beastmaster 18 Jul 2013 14:01:12 10,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've walked out of 3 films in my time. That's a very small percentage for me but I have done it.

Lincoln, which was a totally unbearable bore.
    2012, which was utter shit.
    A Nightmare of Elm Street 2, right after the exploding budgie.

I very nearly walked out of Sucker Punch but somehow managed to stick through it till the end.

Yes, it's highly satisfying walking out of those films. There were all afternoon shows, so it was a bit easier but I would have done the same on a capacity Saturday night.

I've seen it happen plenty of times though. The one that sticks out was after the opening scene of Goodfellas whereby about 10 people walked out.

• Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2013 14:01:17 15,548 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kill Bill Volume 1: 7/10

If push came to shove I'd probably consider myself reasonably well watched. However, Tarantino is a bit of a blind spot for me. It's not for any particular reason, but I've somehow never really seen his films. The only one I've seen prior to this is the excellent Inglorious Bastards.

Well, I really enjoyed this too. It lags a bit in the middle, it's absolutely self indulgent (I enjoyed the anime section, but you know), and it's very occasionally a bit dated, like the sort of slow motion shots that happen once or twice.

But, the fight scenes are excellent, it's visually exciting, and the whole thing is pretty creative. It's very nearly an 8.
  • Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2013 14:02:29 15,548 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Loads of people walked out of The Tree of Life when I saw it. I wish I'd done the same, frankly.
  • kalel 18 Jul 2013 14:06:22 83,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, To the Wonder had about 30% of the original audience left by the end when I saw that.

Although that was actually shit, whereas Tree of Life is awesome :p
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Jul 2013 14:10:03 4,690 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

How could this have been so appalling? Given it's an animated kid's film in an similair vein to the previous films.
    Oops.

I meant after I walked out!

... the only film I have ever walked out of is Rob Zombie's Halloween II, which was appallingly bad.
  • imamazed 18 Jul 2013 14:10:41 5,455 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was very tempted to walk out of Sunshine. I wish I had've done.
  • Load_2.0 18 Jul 2013 14:11:49 18,201 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:

Oops.

I meant after I walked out!

... the only film I have ever walked out of is Rob Zombie's Halloween II, which was appallingly bad.
    Haha Halloween II is dire.
  • kalel 18 Jul 2013 14:13:18 83,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw pretty close to walking out of Pacific Rim. I was just bored to tears and would have much preferred to have been at home.

Oh yeah, Pacific Rim

Fucking boring. Couple of good bits but even they were wasted opportunities.

2/10
  • Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2013 14:13:53 15,548 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The thing that made The Tree of Life galling was that I shouldn't have hated it. I don't have an aversion to that kind of cinema (2001 is my favourite films), and I've since watched the amazing The Thin Red Line, so I don't have an aversion to Terence Malick either.

Just thought it was awful, though. More like an IMAX film about space with a perfume commercial at the end. Jessica Chastain was good, right enough.
  • nickthegun 18 Jul 2013 14:14:36 55,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only film ive ever walked out on was Tomorrow Never Dies and that because I was so drunk i thought i was going to hurl.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 18 Jul 2013 14:15:09 55,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I then watched it sober and realised I had made the right choice. You did need to watch it drunk, just not *that* drunk.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2013 14:18:03 15,548 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    I was very tempted to walk out of Sunshine. I wish I had've done.
    Really? That's surprising. I even liked the slasher section in that though, so what do I know.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Jul 2013 14:20:00 4,690 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Haha Halloween II is dire.
    9.20 I will never ever get back.

... to think my money is sitting in Rob Zombie's bank.

To be fair, it was Halloween and my two friends kind of wanted to go and see it.

Fuckers.
  • Page

of 2589 First / Last