Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2272

• Page

of 2585 First / Last

• Deleted user 13 July 2013 16:03:22
    [Rec]² (2009) 6.5/10
    If you’ve seen the first [Rec], then [Rec]² offers more of the same. The original had a scary ending, where as [Rec]² has more of a twist. Either way, both films are overrated.

Johnny Handsome (1989) 7/10
    Quite good, without being great. Contains a whole bunch of top actors/actresses.

I have the rare cover it seems.

There's better covers:

Edited by blacksea at 16:09:19 13-07-2013
  • Deleted user 13 July 2013 16:10:55
    Thank you for all those covers. Seeing Mickey Rourke before his face melted dozens of times in a row is just what this thread needs.
  • QotSAfan 13 Jul 2013 16:12:19 1,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Blade II was dire compared to the original Blade... which wasn't exactly amazing anyway, but it was still less of a cluster fuck than the sequel.
    I prefer the second myself. I think they are rather good movies for what they are. Very entertaining and a lot of style to them. This is the first two. Let's not even talk about Trinity...
  • Madder-Max 13 Jul 2013 16:22:12 11,566 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    Not Labyrinth. Pan's Labyrinth.

He also did the Hellboy movies.
    Hellboy was okay but hellboy2 was a confused mess and I switched off halfway through. Fucking dire

99 problems and being ginger is one

• TheSaint 13 Jul 2013 16:25:09 13,629 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Sunny isn't that great though so that is hardly a big compliment.
    Don't like much but moaning really do you?
  • BinaryBob101 13 Jul 2013 16:44:50 21,966 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's probably just broken another £500 phone, go easy on him.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• captainrentboy 13 Jul 2013 16:48:15 838 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another vote for Blade 2 here, easily the best of the three IMO. It had far better fight scenes and the guy from Bros made a more interesting bad guy than Dorff.
    And yeah, the third is a crock of shit.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jul 2013 17:47:03 14,636 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hansel & Gretel

This is a Korean horror film loosely based on the fairy tale. The story starts with a man who crashes his car while arguing on the phone with his girlfriend. He wakes at night in a forest and is led by a young girl to a mysterious house. From there is gets weird and more than a little creepy.

It's an excellent film, like most good horror films it relies on creepiness and suggestion rather than gore. It';s well acted, especially the kids and it's well filmed. At times it has almost a magical feel, making it feel like a fairy tale rather than a straight horror.

The only downside for me was that it dragged a little near the end. It could have been edited down to make a tighter experience. As issues go, it's no a major one and didn't spoil the film.

If you like a creepy film with a good story, that looks good then this is well worth checking out.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• wogsy81 13 Jul 2013 17:54:53 598 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Look Who's Talking. 7/10.
    An oldie but a classic and Bruce Willis is brilliant as the voice of the baby.

Sometimes i want a film that has no gore, no tits. I just want a bit of innocent fun that has an 80's flavour. I may watch 3 men and a baby next.
    I fear im turning into a big tart.
  • drhcnip 13 Jul 2013 18:47:10 2,263 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Hansel & Gretel

This is a Korean horror film loosely based on the fairy tale. The story starts with a man who crashes his car while arguing on the phone with his girlfriend. He wakes at night in a forest and is led by a young girl to a mysterious house. From there is gets weird and more than a little creepy.

It's an excellent film, like most good horror films it relies on creepiness and suggestion rather than gore. It';s well acted, especially the kids and it's well filmed. At times it has almost a magical feel, making it feel like a fairy tale rather than a straight horror.

The only downside for me was that it dragged a little near the end. It could have been edited down to make a tighter experience. As issues go, it's no a major one and didn't spoil the film.

If you like a creepy film with a good story, that looks good then this is well worth checking out.

8/10
    very good film, that one....
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jul 2013 19:00:20 14,636 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters

This is a very silly film, there's nothing wrong with that. It's also quite fun. The story continues from the end of the fairy tale with Hansel & Gretel pushing the witch into the oven. They then go on to a life of hunting witches.

As I say this is a silly film. The witches are spell throwing ninjas making for some over the top fights. The bad guy's plan is suitably diabolical and leads to a big showdown.

I liked it. It's not a classic in the rough by any means, but it's a entertaining popcorn movie.

6/10

• stephenb 13 Jul 2013 19:37:43 2,677 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Monsters university

This is one of the poorest pixar movies I've seen. Very few laughs and not a patch on the original.

3/10

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Jmek 13 Jul 2013 21:11:51 1,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pacific Rim - 80%

Puts the fun back in block buster film making. The story merrily nicks from Manga & anime's back catalogue and no cliché is left unturned. But Del Toro brings his own warped sensibilities and world building to make a beautiful exciting, visceral big dumb summer fun movie. I was literally jaw agape a lot of the time. I'm tempted to go and see it again in 3d...
  • Scurrminator Moderator 13 Jul 2013 22:05:02 8,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fast & Furious 6
    7/10
    Not as good as 5 but enjoyable. The ten mile long runway made me chuckle. How did they even know shaw was coming with no comms!
    Heh.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• daddygerplex 14 Jul 2013 02:18:34 298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am gonna stand up for Pacific Rift and say I fucking loved it. Its as close to an Evangelion live action movie that were gonna get.

I might be bias as I love giant robots kicking the shit out of monsters but it was spectacular.

Its Del Toros nerdy love letter to a very specific genre of film/anime.

Edited by daddygerplex at 02:22:37 14-07-2013
  • Steve_Perry 14 Jul 2013 02:21:59 2,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I know one thing. After watching PR. The consequences will never be the same.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• nickthegun 14 Jul 2013 09:04:54 55,848 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pacific Rim - 8/10 - I liked it. It was cool.

Loses points for emulating japanese dialogue too closely when they are in the jaegers. 'IM GOING FOR BOMB!' 'DO YOUR BEST!' 'DONT UNDERESTIMATE ME!' get a bit wearing after the 10th time of asking.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Rhaegyr 14 Jul 2013 09:34:54 1,109 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A Place Beyond the Pines

A pretty good crime/drama character study with some awesome cinematography. Gosling is great (even though he's basically channelling his 'Drive' character), Cooper is great and Ray Liotta turns in one of his best performances in years as a crooked cop.

The script is a little naff but the acting makes up for it. The film stops when it seems like it could really take off too, despite running for 150min. Mendes is a little under-used too, and some of the stories don't flesh out as much as you would want them to.

Good film though and a nice change of pace from the regular shit at the cinema

7/10

Edited by Rhaegyr at 09:35:55 14-07-2013
  • beastmaster 14 Jul 2013 14:48:28 10,175 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Monster's University - 3/10

A terrible prequel sequel that's convincing me more and more that Disney are pure evil.

Not convinced? There's this, Cars 2, Planes (a Cars spinoff) with Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2, Finding Dory (Finding Nemo 2) on the way. They churned out a load of crappy Pirates of the Caribbean sequels (they're doing another one ffs!) and they plan to do 'at least' one Star Wars film a year once the new one comes out in 2015.

Now, whilst the quality of all these films is unknown, and some of them may be good, or even great, it's not really looking that good so far.

Cars 2 exists purely for merchandising purposes. This film is just a totally pointless cash-in telling a story that quite frankly, never needed to be told. It's not even that funny at all.

The first half of the film is drab and although the film gains some momentum towards the end it just has every old, boring cliche in the book. There is nothing new or original at all. So what? Well, the films not even that entertaining, funny or even well written. Pixar can do a LOT better but I suspect this is most of Disney's doing.

Can't fault the animation though. The animated short that's show before the film, The Blue Umbrella, is much, much better than the film itself.

Let's see what Disney shit out next with Pixar.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• BinaryBob101 14 Jul 2013 15:15:24 21,966 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They're doing one new IP per year and one sequel every two years. Those are the plans from next year anyway.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• altitude2k 14 Jul 2013 15:19:43 3,153 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Question. Can you die from goosebumps?

Turns out, no. But Pacific Rim certainly put that theory to the ultimate test!

9/10

Going to take away 1 for Sean Slater's awful accent, and for thinking that Maersk line containers would somehow do more damage than the huge metal fists holding them. Other than that.....fucking awesome.
  • captainrentboy 14 Jul 2013 15:46:36 838 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah crazy Sean wasn't much cop at doing an Australian accent was he?
    He's not too bad in the newest season of True Blood. But in Pacific Rim I think he kind of gave up after the first scene and just stayed cockney.
  • Tomo 14 Jul 2013 15:47:49 13,837 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Must agree with the Disney sentiment. Pixar has lost its mojo since the takeover. Granted some of the films were probably in production before Disney stumped up the cash, but it's a worrying precedent. I no longer await Pixar films in the knowledge that I'm definitely going to see it at the cinema, which makes me sad :(
  • altitude2k 14 Jul 2013 15:49:28 3,153 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Yeah crazy Sean wasn't much cop at doing an Australian accent was he?
    He's not too bad in the newest season of True Blood. But in Pacific Rim I think he kind of gave up after the first scene and just stayed cockney.
    I'm glad someone else noticed ;-)
  • welshben23 14 Jul 2013 15:54:08 1,068 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    [Rec]² (2009) 6.5/10
    If you’ve seen the first [Rec], then [Rec]² offers more of the same. The original had a scary ending, where as [Rec]² has more of a twist. Either way, both films are overrated.
    You take that back! The second one is overrated, I agree. But the first is one of the best horror films I've ever seen. Scared the beejesus out of me.

Edited by welshben23 at 15:54:36 14-07-2013
  • TechnoHippy 14 Jul 2013 17:06:10 14,636 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zulu Dawn

This isn't as good as Zulu by a large margin, but it wasn't as bad as I remembered either. It's a prequel to Zulu and tells the story of the events that lead up to the battle of Isandlhwana and subsequently Rourke's Drift. Like Zulu it features a battle where the British are heavily outnumbered. Unlike Rourke's Drift the British lose and the war could easily have been avoided.

It takes a while to get going and hammer the point home that we seriously underestimated the Zulus. As such it's difficult to build much attachment to the main characters. The final battle is well done and shows the different stages. To be honest this is the best part of the film and almost cancels out the poor build up.

It's not rubbish, but you'd be better of watching Zulu again rather than this.

6/10

• Deleted user 14 July 2013 18:15:01
    Frenemy (2009) 6/10

The whole reason for checking this out was because Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover) is on the cover, along with two other characters. Reality is, Zach Galifianakis is only in the film for one scene. Putting that to one side, the film has some funny moments. I wasn’t sure what to make of Matthew Modine. He comes across like a cross between Harrison Ford and Dennis Pennis. To be honest, the script isn’t all that.

This is the cover I have.

Both covers display Zach Galifianakis like he is a main character?

Edited by blacksea at 18:16:23 14-07-2013
  • Deleted user 14 July 2013 18:29:36
    Post deleted
  • TechnoHippy 14 Jul 2013 18:39:21 14,636 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    End of Watch

It takes a while to get going, but once it does it really does. I'm a bit bored of the shaky cam format, but it works reasonably well in this context. It's about two cops on street patrol who find themselves mixed up with Cartel business. For most of the film it's them doing regular cop stuff and some glimpses of their home life. It's interesting and in part funny, not great, but entertaining.

Once they get mixed up with the cartel it hots up and the ending is very well done. It's well filmed and the two leads do an excellent job with their roles. The mix of the street patrols and the home life was enough to build the characters, but not enough to slow it down too much.

Overall it's an excellent watch, I'd recommend it.

7/10

• Page

of 2585 First / Last