Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    He was THE Iron Giant.
    What you trying to say? ;)
  • repairmanjack 4 Jul 2013 12:31:34 5,987 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Um... surely this was supposed to be shite, right? I really enjoyed it. Doesn't hurt that it has Gemma Arterton and Famke Jansen in it, but it was huge fun and surprisingly gory. Not sure it needs a sequel, but I'd probably be renting it if it did.

7/10
  • beastmaster 4 Jul 2013 20:13:35 11,191 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm old/10

http://www.slashfilm.com/back-to-the-future-was-released-25-years-ago-today/

Edit: This was yesterday. Outcome still the same.

Edited by beastmaster at 20:15:41 04-07-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• 1Dgaf 5 Jul 2013 00:39:16 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Black Swan. 3/10. The last 20 minutes are good, but the rest of it is like a kung fu film crossed with a telenovela. Except that combination sounds good, while this isn't.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• wayneh 5 Jul 2013 00:49:35 2,285 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Skyfall 7/10 I was expecting better after all the hype that surrounded it on release. I think the director was trying too hard to make it a bit more 'Bourne' rather than concentrating on what makes Bond unique. A good watch but the plot was poor and very by the numbers.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Tonka 5 Jul 2013 06:40:17 20,025 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I have found, unfortunately, Frank Millers early work, even the stuff that is considered 'classic' now suffers from the revelation that he is fucked in the head.
    As in?
    Taking right wing liberalism to the extreme where it turns into "let's cure the world from Islam" facism innit

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Dougs 5 Jul 2013 08:25:55 66,722 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Black Swan. 3/10. The last 20 minutes are good, but the rest of it is like a kung fu film crossed with a telenovela. Except that combination sounds good, while this isn't.
    Hang on, the Natalie Portman/Mila Kunis film?
  • dr_swin 5 Jul 2013 08:55:34 4,867 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was probably one of the best portrayals of what it must feel like to become psychotic that I have seen. I found it really unsettling.
  • Dougs 5 Jul 2013 09:01:27 66,722 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Very powerful film imo. Which was why I was clarifying it was the same film!
  • Deckard1 5 Jul 2013 09:04:57 27,256 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it was brilliant. Lets just hope Dean Gaffney doesn't get the Film 2014 gig
  • mrpon 5 Jul 2013 09:08:38 28,487 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rango (Netflix US)

Road tested that new Max recommendation service on Netflix (for a laugh) and it came up with this beauty for me. Looked absolutely stunning (and this was in 720p), great voice work, some laughs and fairly predictable story.

Enjoyed it.

8/10

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• B0rked_Gamer 5 Jul 2013 09:32:52 2,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Black Swan is real good but it would have been better with some kung fu action. Everything is better with kung fu.
  • Gunzberg 5 Jul 2013 10:09:13 1,731 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Olympus has fallen

A bit crap and wasted talent

4/10

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Mola_Ram 5 Jul 2013 13:32:21 6,994 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Good. Quite good. But some of the action scenes (eg. escape from the goblin caves) were a bit too much. They looked like a platform game with a boss at the end.

And yes, suspension of disbelief and all of that, but all I was thinking during that scene was "fucking hell dwarves are durable", and also "christ goblins are useless". Seriously, the dwarves fall like several stories and kill probably hundreds of goblins, but all that happens is that they occasionally grimace in pain.

And at the end of the caves, "There's too many! We can't fight them!". What? Do you have any idea how many you've just gone through without a scratch?

I think, overall, less would have been more in this movie. But yeah, more seems to always be more with Peter Jackson films these days.

Anyway, it was nice to be back in that world. And I loved the characters, and the scenery, and the music, etc. So I'm still very much interested in the next two, although I (probably naievely) hope that Jackson will tone it down a bit.

7.5/10
  • globalisateur 5 Jul 2013 15:13:38 21 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man of steel - 6/10

Instead of focusing on visual special effects (most of the time useless), they should have worked on the script, dialogues and characters interactions.
    Hopefully the actors were good.

I prefered Superman Returns.

Edited by globalisateur at 15:17:16 05-07-2013
  • TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2013 19:17:16 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We are the Night

We are the Night is a German vampire film. There are only female vampires in the world, all the males have been hunted down and killed by the women.Interesting, but it wasn't really developed. As with many vampire films it's a love story at it's heart, that in itself wasn't a problem, in fact it was probably the best thing going for it.

It's not a terrible film, but it didn't stand out in any way either. It had the feeling of a music video and lacked any appreciable depth. The four vampires were fun to watch in action, but that's about as far as it went.

An average film, but if you're looking for some vampire action there are much better films out there.

5/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2013 21:18:53 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Tall Man

Tall Man is a horror tale about a small town where children keep going missing. Local legend blames the 'Tall Man' a mysterious character who haunts the local woods. I have to say that I liked this, the story is excellent and develops in an interesting and unexpected way. Unusually for me I didn't figure out what was going on until near the end, it's always nice to be surprised.

It's well filmed and acted, it's dramatic, but not overly so. It takes a little while to get going, but once it does it doesn't stop until the end.

I'd love to say more, but I fear I might give something away, so I'll just say that it is well worth a watch.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• M83J01P97 5 Jul 2013 22:04:44 6,552 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sound of my Voice

Really surprised by this little indie, low-budget sci-fi thriller. Was expecting it to be forgettable nonsense but it's actually a really clever head scratcher. While it's a very different film, I would list it alongside Primer in terms slow, thoughtful pacing and laying out all of the evidence for the viewer to work out their own interpretation of the story... which I can't really explain too much about as it would spoil a lot. So if you want to see this film fresh with no prior knowledge, which I strongly recommend go do so now!

But basically... a woman claiming to be from 2054 prepares a group of chosen few for the dark times ahead, forming a cult around her. A young couple looking to become well known documentary film makers infiltrate the cult at first intending to expose them all as loons, but eventually get swept along in very different ways.

If you like slightly off beat, slow burning films that don't offer you a clear cut explanation one way of the other, then I highly recommend this. Surprised it hasn't developed something of a cult following yet.

9/10

Edited by M83J01P97 at 22:05:34 05-07-2013
  • LeucCloud 5 Jul 2013 22:40:35 1 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Avengers... almost made me lose faith in movies in general, 25% of 100

All this sanity is driving me crazy...

• B0rked_Gamer 5 Jul 2013 22:58:17 2,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Avengers was a complete success. It managed to be a whizzbang blockbuster that managed to bring together spectacle with characters that were interesting and engaging performances from all the lead actors.
  • Gunzberg 5 Jul 2013 22:59:32 1,731 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Black Book 9/10

Go watch it. It's quality

Nicely taught WW2 thriller

Edited by Gunzberg at 23:04:09 05-07-2013

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• B0rked_Gamer 5 Jul 2013 23:01:00 2,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's it abou...oh never mind.

/googles
  • Maturin 6 Jul 2013 00:00:32 2,892 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes Black Book is great. Directed by Paul Verhoeven and starring Carice Van Houten from Game of Thrones.

Verhoeven grew up in the occupied Netherlands - he's talked about it quite a bit on DVD commentaries and so wasn't surprised that he finally covered the era.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2013 00:04:34
    Hero

Still holds up pretty well, some gorgeous put together fights and set design. HD version wasn't great, it was TV HD, but overly grainy and not crystal clear.

Behind all the fighting, is an interesting message - what do you sacrifice for the greater good?

8/10
  • The-Bodybuilder 6 Jul 2013 01:03:15 14,077 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now you see me....25%.
    Not good.
  • vijay_UK 6 Jul 2013 08:06:27 2,080 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    Black Book 9/10

Go watch it. It's quality

Nicely taught WW2 thriller
    It's a terrific film.

If you can, watch Soldier of Orange which is even better. Paul Verhoeven is a rare talent, Hollywood sure has missed his magic.

Would love to hear his thoughts on the upcoming remake of Robocop, especially as the Total Recall remake was a waste of time for everyone.
  • Page

of 2711 First / Last