• Page

of 2802 First / Last

• dominalien 3 Jul 2013 15:34:39 7,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    meme wrote:
    The story goes that Vin Diesel more or less pleaded with her to take on the role, plying her with shitloads of flowers and handwritten letters. He was a bit obsessed with getting her, to the extent where he more or less refused to film it if she didn't sign on.
    Thought the casting in Chronicles was excellent, apart from Judi Dench. She just seems out of place, to me.

I also prefer it to Pitch Black.
    The poster and everything I've seen for Chronicles, as someone else pointed out, makes it look like it's an entirely different franchise to Pitch Black - as in, the world it depicts.

Do the two tie together at all well? I don't mean stories, I know the stories are different, but in terms of it gelling as the same character in the same world?

What kind of film is it compared to Pitch Black?
    They're completely different. PB is low budget, ambitious and tight, whereas CoR is lavish, lazy and crass. Money-wise, it's SW5 to SW4, plot-wise it's PotC sequels to PotC, style-wise it's... I don't know, something crap to something good.

PSN: DonOsito

• TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 15:35:06 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I've always found it seems to be held in quite high regard. Personally, I love it... I mean, it's no 'Alien' but it's a very interesting premise and it looks gorgeous.

With the sequel, they missed what made Riddick such a cool character.
    I personally think people are shocked into thinking it was better than it was because they probably expected a far, far worse movie.

I mean look at the pitch (no pun intended):

"It's Vin Diesel, yeah? Mr Triple Ex no less, yeah? And he's an escaped convict, right, but it's on this planet with all these bad bastard aliens, yeah, but they mostly come at night (mostly), see, and Mr Triple Ex he's a hard bastard and he can like bang two aliens' heads together and like 'feeeeeel' their movements and stuff."

But what ensued was actually surprisingly action-free and relatively (for an aliens/Diesel movie anyway) well paced. So people are amazed that Diesel was capable of this sort of apparent sensitivity in his action movie vehicles, and as they adjust both their expectation and reaction they overcompensate and think they've seen something truly amazing.

Well that's my take on it.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:36:11 03-07-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 15:37:16 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    What kind of film is it compared to Pitch Black?
    They're completely different. PB is low budget, ambitious and tight, whereas CoR is lavish, lazy and crass. Money-wise, it's SW5 to SW4, plot-wise it's PotC sequels to PotC, style-wise it's... I don't know, something crap to something good.
    Huh, that's *exactly* what it came across like at the time in trailers and stuff. I'll skip it I reckon, unless it turns up on Netflix and I'm reeeeeeally bored one day ;)

Although I don't follow "Money-wise, it's SW5 to SW4" - Star Wars 5? As in Empire? That had less money than A New Hope? (going with the 'something crap to something good' comparisons).

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:38:53 03-07-2013

• dominalien 3 Jul 2013 15:38:37 7,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pitch Black predates XXX.

But, yeah.

• dominalien 3 Jul 2013 15:39:05 7,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Although I don't follow "Money-wise, it's SW5 to SW4" - Star Wars 5? As in Empire? That had less money than A New Hope? (going with the 'something crap to something good' comparisons).
    More, it had much more money than SW4. Must have got my sequels ordering mixed up there for a second.

Edited by dominalien at 15:39:54 03-07-2013

• TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 15:39:16 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Pitch Black predates XXX.

But, yeah.
    Pedant.

;)

XXX, then, was that utter shit? I forget. It seemed like it had the potential (although not the class or the skill) to be (insert massive action franchise here) for Sun readers. I remember there was a sequel but I was so past caring about Vin Diesel *anything* by then, and of course then Fast and Furious turned into a ridiculously successful franchise instead so I guess it all worked out in the end.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:41:53 03-07-2013

• TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 15:42:47 3,242 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    More, it had much more money than SW4. Must have got my sequels ordering mixed up there for a second.
    Thought that was a bit odd. Never mind, balance is restored to the Force. :)

• nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 15:44:26 60,506 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I have found, unfortunately, Frank Millers early work, even the stuff that is considered 'classic' now suffers from the revelation that he is fucked in the head.
    As in?
    General themes of misogyny, violence and diplomacy is for pussies. DKR is quite sinister when you read it back but the trend has continued and evolved to the point that his modern work is basically a joke.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Dangerous_Dan 3 Jul 2013 16:20:51 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    XXX, then, was that utter shit?
    There is a solar powered submarine in that movie. Brilliant, revolutionary stuff, so to speak.
  • Dangerous_Dan 3 Jul 2013 16:24:08 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    General themes of misogyny, violence and diplomacy is for pussies.
    That sounds interesting. Will have to check that out.

Misogyny - When a man thinks about women, as other women think about women.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Jul 2013 16:41:08 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zulu

After watching 300 I thought that I should re-watch the daddy of all desperate stand movies. I first watched Zulu too many years ago as a young boy and I loved the excitement and desperation of it and those attributes still satisfy now that I'm older and more cynical.

The film tells the story of a small contingent of British soldiers station at a missionary station called Rourke's Drift. After the annihilation of their brigade, the 100 troops find themselves under attack by 4000 Zulus. It's a classic war film, lacking the gore and effects you'll see in more modern films. It's also acted in a very dramatic fashion, which dates it as well, but that suits the era the film is set in.

The story is exciting and well told. The scenery is amazing and looks great on blu-ray. It's full of interesting characters, the colour sergeant stands out for me. It's a great film that stands out today as much as it did when I first watched it.

And there's some great singing in there as well, from both sides.

10/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• beastmaster 3 Jul 2013 17:41:44 11,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hummingbird - 4/10

I just had to see this film as soon as I found out what what the plot was. It's The Stath, giving it all as a homeless bum who ends up falling for a nun and taking down some big time gangsters at the same time.

When you see The Stath at the start, he's a mess. In other words, he has facial hair. All the time this is going on, I was wondering when he was going to

a) have the three s's
    b) shave his head
    c) put on a suit
    d) kick the living shit out of the baddies.

Due to accidentally landing in Bruce Wayne's apartment, which conveniently has no security at all and credit cards and pin numbers galore, he scrubs up rather quickly and he's on a mission from god!

There's a sub-plot about him falling for a nun who tries to send The Stath onto the path of righteousness as he is a TOTAL badass. He shags her senseless! . Nuns On The Run is more believable that this. Right?

The body-count is this film is disappointedly low. However, he does rough people up in rather a nasty way, so that's okay then.

One thing you've got to say about The Stath. Just like in his film The Mechanic, he's not afraid to play bastards and not always be the good guy. Here, he's pretty much not got much of a conscious.

This film is just a mess with a totally ridiculous plot which is played very straight. It's totally watchable and there's a morbid curiosity as to what is going to happen next. Like when he's going to shag the nun? And no, you don't see anything. It's a Stath film.

I think I'm going to hell after writing this.

Edited by beastmaster at 17:45:26 03-07-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jul 2013 17:49:05 26,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Zulu

After watching 300 I thought that I should re-watch the daddy of all desperate stand movies. I first watched Zulu too many years ago as a young boy and I loved the excitement and desperation of it and those attributes still satisfy now that I'm older and more cynical.

The film tells the story of a small contingent of British soldiers station at a missionary station called Rourke's Drift. After the annihilation of their brigade, the 100 troops find themselves under attack by 4000 Zulus. It's a classic war film, lacking the gore and effects you'll see in more modern films. It's also acted in a very dramatic fashion, which dates it as well, but that suits the era the film is set in.

The story is exciting and well told. The scenery is amazing and looks great on blu-ray. It's full of interesting characters, the colour sergeant stands out for me. It's a great film that stands out today as much as it did when I first watched it.

And there's some great singing in there as well, from both sides.

10/10
    I watched that for he first time in years whilst hungover on Saturday. Such a good film.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Jul 2013 18:12:25 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    O Brother, Where Art Thou?

This is an amazing film in every respect, in fact it's one of my favourite film of all time. Loosely based on Homer's Oddessy epic it tells the the story of three escaped convicts trying to find some buried treasure during the depression.

For me it's probably the perfect film. The story is brilliant with plenty of humour. The soundtrack is sublime, worth owning in it's own right. It's almost a musical and a great one, with every song a pleasure.

The acting is spot on and adds a lot to the humour of the film. It helps that the film is populated with some wonderful characters like the cyclops and the sirens.

Quite simply an awesome film.

10/10

• fletch7100 3 Jul 2013 18:21:59 7,357 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Did you watch it on Blu Ray? Visually it looks great, one of my favourite Blu ray transfers
  • TechnoHippy 3 Jul 2013 19:44:40 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @fletch7100

O Brother or Zulu? Yes on both counts and they both looked great, Zulu especially for an old film.

• RyanDS 3 Jul 2013 23:29:29 9,593 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Romancing the stone.

Just great fun, nice adventure, no messages or shit like that.

9/10
  • RedSparrows 4 Jul 2013 00:41:11 23,327 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Chronicles is good fun, if a bit shit and totally overblown.
  • Khanivor 4 Jul 2013 01:14:55 40,951 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    World War Z - 6/10

Fine enough. Not really disappointed with the deviation from the book as it could never be filmed to satisfaction. Shame the Battle of Yonkers wasn't in there though. I liked the hyper zombies. The speed of the take over and the sense of doom were the film's strongest points. The requirement of Pitt to save the world its weakest.

A tighter script and this could have been great. Ditching the adherence to no gore as well. I'm not normally one to get hard over gore but the rabid determination to remove any suggestion of it from this film was just fucking ridiculous, especially the two elements which screamed out for being on screen. Imagine Luke getting his hand cut off but you never see it, just him holding the stump. Daft.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jul 2013 01:53:50 7,712 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They might have Yonkers in the sequel, which hopefully will be a bit better planned.

I agree that the book could never be adapted completely faithfully (except maybe in documentary form, but that wouldn't have made any money). But as it was, you might as well have not called it World War Z at all. I think the only thing they got from the book is the names of one or two characters.
  • sirtacos 4 Jul 2013 02:57:48 7,319 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Monsters University

After the underwhelming Despicable Me sequel, I went into MU with very low expectations.
    But then, the gorgeous opening short (something trite but sweet with umbrellas) reminded me that this was Pixar and that I had nothing to worry about.

It's pretty standard fare in terms of structure/plot, and some gags are meh, but it's got a lot of heart. Even by Pixar standards (which, unfortunately, have dropped ever since Cars 2), it's pretty good.

I came out feeling all warm and fuzzy and inspired to believe in myself despite what other monsters think, so it was definitely worth the money.

Incidentally, the room was packed, but there were only two children in the audience. Seeing the evidence of Pixar's adult following was kind of heart-warming in and of itself.

8/10

Edited by sirtacos at 03:05:15 04-07-2013
  • simsini 4 Jul 2013 09:22:59 317 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This Is The End - 5/10

Really enjoyed the first half, but then it ran out of steam and seemed to drag and drag until the rather predictable ending.

There was far too much reliance on crude humour and all but Jay Baruchel just stumbled their way through the film.

Edited by simsini at 09:27:48 04-07-2013
  • killersrquiet 4 Jul 2013 09:34:29 2,055 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oz the Great and Powerful

6.5/10

Although i have no urge to watch the original wizard of oz (or this to be honest), the updated/re-imagined take kinda made me prefer i was. Not terrible but lacked any real conviction and some of the performances were completely hammy.

James Franco's disturbing smile made me cringe, was like an attempt to match Johnny Depps weird smiling from charlie and the chocolate factory.

Wrong on so many levels
  • Deckard1 4 Jul 2013 10:13:07 28,755 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is the End

Lol

8/10
  • Deckard1 4 Jul 2013 10:30:16 28,755 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it's just one of those you leave alone and move on
  • DFawkes 4 Jul 2013 10:31:55 23,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I CAN'T leave it alone ;)

Pitch Black was before xXx and its silly capitalisation. It was pretty much the first movie he'd done, certainly as lead (not counting his voice in Iron Giant). I don't think anyone could really expect anything from him given he hadn't popped up before except to help Jason Bourne get home in WWII.

In fact given his film career was Private Ryan and Iron Giant (and I'm fairly sure something he wrote himself which got him cast in Private Ryan in the first place), an action movie would've been rather atypical! At the time, of course. Not now.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:32:32 04-07-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• sirtacos 4 Jul 2013 10:38:39 7,319 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He was in Iron Giant? ...and he actually wrote something?
    My esteem of Vin Diesel has just shot up to 1.
  • Page

of 2802 First / Last