Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2265

• Page

of 2584 First / Last

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 18:47:57
    The story goes that Vin Diesel more or less pleaded with her to take on the role, plying her with shitloads of flowers and handwritten letters. He was a bit obsessed with getting her, to the extent where he more or less refused to film it if she didn't sign on.
  • beastmaster 2 Jul 2013 18:48:40 10,172 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This Is The End - 8/10

A real, genuine surprise. The film is laugh out loud funny and is very good from beginning to end.

Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel play themselves in a plot where they end up at a party at James Franco's house. Only to find out that the apocalypse has arrived. This film is filled with celebrities who play themselves and they are all very self-deprecating.

From the people who bought you Pineapple Express and Superbad. Even if you don't like these films (I hate Superbad), this one is really very good. It's full of low level humour with no bodily function left untouched but it's very funny.

The films also pretty interesting for a couple of other reasons.

The effects aren't just an afterthought. There's a lot of money up there on screen and the effects are up there with your big budget blockbusters.

What's even more surprising is that if you like the look of the film from the trailer, they've left all the good bits out. It's much funnier and ruder than the trailer makes out and it's a genuine surprise to see a film where it's not all been given away in the trailer.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• jaangus 2 Jul 2013 19:07:37 178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Beeble really want to see that will check it out
  • Maturin 2 Jul 2013 19:09:18 2,729 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    it's a genuine surprise to see a film where it's not all been given away in the trailer.
    I hope other studios take note.

If Empire Strikes Back was released today "Luke I am your father" would be in the trailer.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 19:12:50
    This Is The End is apparently getting a meta-sequel, where they're going to have the same thing happen (celebrities involved in the apocalypse), only set at the premiere of This Is The End.

I can't take Channing Tatum seriously after that film, though.
  • Megapocalypse 2 Jul 2013 21:04:05 5,228 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hanna - 7/10

Enjoyable action thriller. Jumps around in places but has some great scenes, and the girl who plays Hanna is excellent.
  • Sharzam 2 Jul 2013 21:11:44 2,108 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

To be fair that is not an unpopular thought.  Pitch Black is considered one of the best Sci Fi thrillers around and VD's best film.

The only reason it didn't get more awards was because it was a small budget movie done by mostly unknowns.

Hesse the big budget follow up into generic land.

Edited by Sharzam at 21:13:02 02-07-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• kentmonkey 2 Jul 2013 21:15:46 20,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Things I've learned from this thread today: Some people actually liked Pitch Black.
  • Trowel 2 Jul 2013 21:20:24 16,846 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pitch Black was great fun as a brainless sci-fi, but the best thing about it is the cinematography - the use of darkness and colour is sensational in places.
  • kentmonkey 2 Jul 2013 21:42:22 20,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't deny the cinematography, I'm just very surprised some people really enjoyed the film. Or go as far as to call it one of the best Sci Fi thrillers. Actually suggest it's regarded as that.

Other than a handful of people on here, most of which merely thought it was alright, I've not seen much love for the film.
  • thefilthandthefury 2 Jul 2013 21:44:17 24,901 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've always found it seems to be held in quite high regard. Personally, I love it... I mean, it's no 'Alien' but it's a very interesting premise and it looks gorgeous.

With the sequel, they missed what made Riddick such a cool character.

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 21:45:33 02-07-2013
  • angiebriens 2 Jul 2013 21:46:47 45 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Despicable me 2 - 1000000%

Watched it on Friday at the 8.30pm showing so was mainly adults there and yet the whole cinema was in constant hysterics. SO funny!!!!
  • vijay_UK 2 Jul 2013 22:24:24 1,657 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    it's a genuine surprise to see a film where it's not all been given away in the trailer.
    I hope other studios take note.

If Empire Strikes Back was released today "Luke I am your father" would be in the trailer.
    For me, it was GoldenEye that started this trend, blasting your eyeballs with as much as possible. A cheap way to sell a movie
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 23:14:21
    Christ, none of you had better watch any trailers for films in the 50s, 60s and 70s. They're basically the entire film summarised.
  • Monsieur_Blade 2 Jul 2013 23:16:04 326 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Man Of Steel

I had really high hopes for this but came out of the cinema really disappointed. I don't think the film actually knows what it wants to be. Is it a gritty coming of age drama or an over the top action thriller? It failed at both I think. Plus it seemed really rushed in certain areas e.g. the early scenes with young Clark Kent.

I also found a lot of the dialogue atrocious and really wooden e.g. "You're a monster... and I'm going to stop you." It was just so cheesy and badly written.

And to top it all off 90% of the scenes were shot using the wonky camera work that flicks right to left and never settles on an actual shot. It actually made me feel sick.

I can't actually believe Empire and Total Film gave it a 4 Star rating?!?

2/5
  • TechnoHippy 3 Jul 2013 14:15:06 14,636 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

You will never see a finer collection of abs as you see in 300. Magnificent, it's also a pretty good action film. It's based on the story of 300 Spartan warriors defending their land against a massive invasion from Persia. It's an adaptation of a comic book loosely based on the historical event.

The film is very stylish with effective use of lighting to paint a larger then life picture of the battle. It's a simple tale, but for a film like this that works in its favour. The acting is over the top with everyone playing clear cut heroes and villians, but that is kind of the point. This isn't a subtle film, it's the legend of a great battle and a worthy one at that.

It's a violent film (to be expected considering the subject), although the violence is very choreographed and shows it's comic book origins. It's a fun watch and worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dangerous_Dan 3 Jul 2013 14:20:51 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    7/10?

PAH!

This! IS! SPARTA!!!
  • TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 14:41:37 2,611 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Chronicle: 9/10

A bunch of teenagers find a thing in a hole that gives them superpowers, and the film deals with how they handle these powers. It does not go well for everyone.

I loved it. I liked how all the footage is 'found footage' - mostly a camera that one of the main guys states in the very first scene he's bought because he's "just filming everything now". No real explanation (although I suppose it could be because he's scared of his dad's violent outbursts) and I didn't really care as it made for some fun with the camera and their powers later.

And then when some other minor character also just so happens to have a camera to film everything for her blog, it gives them an excuse to cut around for reactions. Daft, but it worked for me.

Nice length too, only 80-odd minutes (after credits).

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Bremenacht 3 Jul 2013 14:49:08 15,741 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The story goes that Vin Diesel more or less pleaded with her to take on the role, plying her with shitloads of flowers and handwritten letters. He was a bit obsessed with getting her, to the extent where he more or less refused to film it if she didn't sign on.
    Thought the casting in Chronicles was excellent, apart from Judi Dench. She just seems out of place, to me.

I also prefer it to Pitch Black.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 14:58:41 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a soft spot for CoR. Its a grand sci-fi epic the likes of which dont get made anymore.

Its biggest problem is that the middle section in the jail feels like it goes on for a year. It just brings the entire movie to a screeching halt and is just absolutely interminable.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Moot_Point 3 Jul 2013 15:17:02 3,500 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:

You will never see a finer collection of abs as you see in 300. Magnificent, it's also a pretty good action film. It's based on the story of 300 Spartan warriors defending their land against a massive invasion from Persia. It's an adaptation of a comic book loosely based on the historical event.

The film is very stylish with effective use of lighting to paint a larger then life picture of the battle. It's a simple tale, but for a film like this that works in its favour. The acting is over the top with everyone playing clear cut heroes and villians, but that is kind of the point. This isn't a subtle film, it's the legend of a great battle and a worthy one at that.

It's a violent film (to be expected considering the subject), although the violence is very choreographed and shows it's comic book origins. It's a fun watch and worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

7/10
    From what I understand, Frank thoroughly researched the history behind the 300 graphic novel before writing it. I saw an interview where he said as much. :p

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• kalel 3 Jul 2013 15:21:14 83,839 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oooh "Frank" is it?
  • thedaveeyres 3 Jul 2013 15:24:38 9,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Millsy to his mates.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2013 15:25:54 6,196 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Frankie M
  • nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 15:26:01 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have found, unfortunately, Frank Millers early work, even the stuff that is considered 'classic' now suffers from the revelation that he is fucked in the head.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Moot_Point 3 Jul 2013 15:26:17 3,500 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like Mr Miller's work. Poignant.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• S.J.Rogers 3 Jul 2013 15:26:34 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really like CoR... I think the whole Riddick character is really well done and i really hope the next film can improve on whats come before.

CoR = 7.5/10
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 15:29:57 41,863 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I have found, unfortunately, Frank Millers early work, even the stuff that is considered 'classic' now suffers from the revelation that he is fucked in the head.
    As in?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 15:30:21 2,611 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Thought the casting in Chronicles was excellent, apart from Judi Dench. She just seems out of place, to me.

I also prefer it to Pitch Black.
    The poster and everything I've seen for Chronicles, as someone else pointed out, makes it look like it's an entirely different franchise to Pitch Black - as in, the world it depicts.

Do the two tie together at all well? I don't mean stories, I know the stories are different, but in terms of it gelling as the same character in the same world?

What kind of film is it compared to Pitch Black?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• dominalien 3 Jul 2013 15:30:46 6,741 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I've always found it seems to be held in quite high regard. Personally, I love it... I mean, it's no 'Alien' but it's a very interesting premise and it looks gorgeous.
    PB isn't "better" than Alien, that's for sure, but it's certainly more watchable. Count me in the camp of "it's miles better than CoR", too. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 2584 First / Last