Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2257

• Page

of 2699 First / Last

• Rhaegyr 26 Jun 2013 13:37:11 1,403 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seems like Snyder has struck again with these negative reviews of Man of Steel (expected tbh). Honestly, he's worse than Bay.

What will the man fuck up next?
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2013 13:39:01 6,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like a few of his movies. He's nowhere near the same league of badness as Bay.
  • kalel 26 Jun 2013 13:39:27 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snyder is very much a scapegoat here imo. I'm now starting to realise why Nolan didn't want to direct it.
  • beastmaster 26 Jun 2013 13:42:38 11,139 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Seems like Snyder has struck again with these negative reviews of Man of Steel (expected tbh). Honestly, he's worse than Bay.

What will the man fuck up next?
    Man of Steel 2.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Gambit1977 26 Jun 2013 13:45:22 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Snyder is very much a scapegoat here imo. I'm now starting to realise why Nolan didn't want to direct it.
    This. He didn't 'write' the non-existant script!
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2013 13:45:48 6,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The 300 sequel? Or is he only producing that.
  • kalel 26 Jun 2013 13:47:24 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's not directing it for sure. Maybe "exec producer" i.e. nothing to do with it.
  • beastmaster 26 Jun 2013 13:48:17 11,139 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Producing. Looks as though not even Eva Green can save it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2013 13:53:40 6,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dunno, I actually quite liked 300. It was ever so slightly fascist, but that really came from the source material.

I like the look of his movies (haven't seen MoS yet). The other aspects are hit and miss, but they look sublime. And some of them (ie. Sucker Punch) have some interesting ideas in them.

And Watchmen was great. Flawed, but great.
  • Rhaegyr 26 Jun 2013 14:03:32 1,403 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For me, 300 was all style and little substance, but it is his best film.

Suckerpunch is up there with the worst films I've seen in the last decade and I really disliked Watchmen too. The novel is the greatest comic of all time and the film had none of its' depth, subtlety and featured awful casting (Ozymandias especially), not to mention changing the ending substantially because the original might have gone over some heads was a cop out move. He makes films for the dude-bro generation.

As you can probably tell, I'm not the biggest Snyder fan.
  • Tonka 26 Jun 2013 14:03:36 20,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    As opposed to the excellent Sucker Punch?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kalel 26 Jun 2013 14:06:09 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But we're not talking about Sucker Punch.
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 14:07:16 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    ....not to mention changing the ending substantially because the original might have gone over some heads was a cop out move.
    I dont know the *exact* reason they changed it but im fairly certain it would have been because the original ending would have looked absolutely ridiculous and, to be honest, I thought it worked well, as with the one or two other things they changed.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Tonka 26 Jun 2013 14:08:41 20,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    But we're not talking about Sucker Punch.
    I thought the argument was "Zack is a good director if he gets to write his own script".
    Might have misunderstood that though.

• Tonka 26 Jun 2013 14:10:40 20,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @nickthegun I also think the new ending worked well and that the original would have been silly. There was also a "Dr Manhattan" is a vengeful god tinge to it that wasn't in the comic iirc.

Something about Manhattan and gods... can't remember more than I though it was a nice touch.

• 8bitMofo 26 Jun 2013 14:13:18 419 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Internship.
    I hate myself for giving these 'comedies' a chance.

25%
  • kalel 26 Jun 2013 14:13:43 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I get a lot of the issues people have with Snyder, but the constant comparison with Michael Bay is ridiculous. Yes, they both made very effects and CGI heavy films, but there the comparison end.

Bay films look AWFUL. They are a total mess. The guy has absolutely no idea how to compose a scene or direct action. They are headache inducing messes.

Snyder on the other hand, for all his potential faults, makes as astonishing looking film. He's a proper "pause the film and marvel at the shot" director. Yes, you could argue it's style over substance and he has no idea how to create a meaningful connection with the audience, but the likes of Kubrick and Malick have often been accused of the same.

That's not to say he's in their class, but he's an interesting director with a definite style and ability. Bay is a talentless hack who's lucky to be mates with Jerry Bruckheimer.
  • Rhaegyr 26 Jun 2013 14:15:26 1,403 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    ....not to mention changing the ending substantially because the original might have gone over some heads was a cop out move.
    I dont know the *exact* reason they changed it but im fairly certain it would have been because the original ending would have looked absolutely ridiculous and, to be honest, I thought it worked well, as with the one or two other things they changed.
    I don't see why it would've looked ridiculous - the alien itself may be tricky but the concept itself is stronger than the Doc being the 'bad guy'. It's at odds with his character arc also, one of the strongest points of the novel. I think the alien has more of a shock factor too - good or bad depending on your viewpoint.

The only change I liked was the music really.
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 14:16:06 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snyder needs *one* good script to take him to the next level.

If you compare the mid city action of superman to the transformers movies, it very quickly becomes apparent that bay and snyder are on completely different planets.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 14:17:41 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A big vagina starfish would have come completely out of nowhere and using the Dr. Manhattan as a lightning rod to unite the earth against makes more logical sense than some unseen alien menace.

Horses for courses, like, but i thought that its, thematically, a better ending.

He totally called it

• kalel 26 Jun 2013 14:18:57 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Snyder needs *one* good script to take him to the next level.

If you compare the mid city action of superman to the transformers movies, it very quickly becomes apparent that bay and snyder are on completely different planets.
    I think Snyder's big problem is that because CGI is such a huge part of his style, he's getting a lot of brainless comicbook action type stuff, but I really think he'd be better off with something a bit more cerebral.
  • LeoliansBro 26 Jun 2013 14:19:01 43,132 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really starting to think the Director is a bit of a figurehead. The real film is made between the scriptwriter, the DP and in the editing room. The director certainly has a part to play but it's more a team thing these days.

Exceptions: Tour de Force directors (Scorcese), vanity projects (Lucas and the Star Wars prequels), low budget pet projects (Whedon).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 26 Jun 2013 14:19:35 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although annoyingly Superman really could have been that film, but sadly they wrote a brainless action flick for him.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2013 14:20:50 6,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The only shock I got from the alien was of the "aliens? seriously?" variety.

I thought the film ending worked better. Whatever problems I had with the movie (Ozy was indeed horribly miscast, for example) the ending was not among them.
  • graysonavich 26 Jun 2013 14:21:02 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do DPs have much of a say with digital films now? I got the impression they're a dying breed.
  • Gambit1977 26 Jun 2013 14:21:44 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    As opposed to the excellent Sucker Punch?
    Huh? What's that got to do with anything? I actually liked the DOTD movie, and that was written by James Gunn.
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 14:23:27 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I said a while ago that the man of steel rested on which Goyer turned up and, sadly, the one that sucks balls did the honours.

He totally called it

• Gambit1977 26 Jun 2013 14:24:46 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I said a while ago that the man of steel rested on which Goyer turned up and, sadly, the one that sucks balls did the honours.
    Perfect summary IMO. The guy can have great ideas, his writing on the whole has a lot to be desired.
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 14:25:29 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Huh? What's that got to do with anything? I actually liked the DOTD movie, and that was written by James Gunn.
    Its a good point. DOTD is one of his better movies and it was written by James Gunn who is, basically, awesome.

Coincidence? I think not.

He totally called it

• Tonka 26 Jun 2013 14:28:36 20,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Gambit1977 I misunderstood you

• Page

of 2699 First / Last