Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2254

• Page

of 2586 First / Last

• faux_carnation 23 Jun 2013 17:34:34 8,483 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World War Z - 7/10

Nothing like the book, full of plot holes but suitably intense and surprisingly bleak for a blockbuster. Pleasantly surprised.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Jun 2013 17:57:00 14,637 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Shining

A classic horror film and Jack Nicholson was born for this role. He plays a fine nutter. The film tells the story of a writer and his family living in a hotel as caretakers for the winter. The hotel has ghosts that hint at terrible events that have happened there in the past.

Nicholson's descent into haunted madness is very well done, scarily so in places. The story builds nicely to a dramatic conclusion.

A fine horror film that has stood the test of time, if you haven't seen this then shame on you :-)

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 18:32:38 2,142 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Shining is a fine film indeed. I recently watched Misery again and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've recently signed up to Lovefilm's 2 disc and instant deal so have been a bit more proactive in the film watching department. Here are a few brief opinions on what I've seen.

Citizen Kane.

I have finally got round to seeing it. It's not that I have only begrudgingly seen it as it's so revered, it's because I just haven't had the opportunity. Believe it or not but with two stints at Blockbusters lasting an accumulative two years I've never had the opportunity to rent the blasted thing. Joining Lovefilm meant I could actually, finally see the thing.

I really enjoyed it. It's a little earpiercing when certain characters get excited but taken as a whole it was thoroughly enjoyable with a fair bit to mull over afterwards. The way the story was delivered felt rather sophisticated too even by today's standards so no wonder it is held in such high regard. Highly recommended for anyone with even a veneer deep interest in cinema as an artform.

Beyond the Hills.

A Romanian drama about the relationship between two re-acquainted girls in a monastery. Now I love my foreign films for the glimpses into different cultures and for some originality but this was a very trying film. The same, exact events kept happening to the point that if it wasn't so po-faced I would have been convinced that this was a farce. Tedious beyond measure.

Man With The Iron Fists.

Hmm. I don't really know how to approach this one. I didn't hate it per se, I wasn't particularly bored by it either, yet I didn't feel it was particularly good. It was visually brash yet luxurious and the story had potential. It just felt rather disjointed and kind of tapered out at the end. The namesake of the film isn't really fully introduced until fairly late thus compounding the pacing problems. It isn't as knowing as Tarantino's Kill Bill films even though I feel it's trying to accomplish the same irreverent take on the genre.

ParaNorman.

I didn't enjoy it as much as Coraline as I don't think enough was done with Norman's ability to talk to ghosts. It is warm hearted as all good children's films are and I enjoyed the subversions to convention along the way. It looks nice but ultimately it just all felt a bit A-B with no real subplots to add intrigue.

Looper

Not a bad idea for a sci fi action film but certainly not the post Matrix high-watermark I had been led to believe.

I'm a big fan of Gordon-Levitt after Brick so I found it quite disconcerting to see him trying so hard to emulate Willis instead of actually acting. The fact that I'm quite aware as to how Willis looked and acted at the same age being privy to his eighties work added to the disconnect.

The whole blunderbuss thing felt like an awkward attempt at imprinting their own cool aesthetic on the future intrigue thing.

Ted.

Expected to hate it as I find Family Guy one of the most bewilderingly unfunny things I've ever had the displeasure to lay eyes on.

I didn't hate it. It was okay. By the numbers and it didn't do anything remotely interesting with the concept other than 'LOOK, A CUTE BEAR CURSING, FIGHTING, FELLATING!' but it had a beginning, middle and end with a subplot to match. I watched it all the way through, so that's a sparkling endorsement by me.

There you go. I'll be sure to enlighten (bore senseless) you all with more of my musings at a later date.

Edited by JiveHound at 18:38:04 23-06-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 23 June 2013 18:34:26
    Watched two rom-coms last night with the wife.

I Give It A Year - surprisingly good, pretty funny, and non-schmaltzy. 8/10

Admission - surprisingly bad, not all that funny, and terribly schmaltzy. 3/10
  • jaangus 23 Jun 2013 18:55:31 180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Ip Man - 9/10

"I want to fight ten men!". Holy fuck this film is just fucking fantastic. Not seen it before and it's got everything. A great story, superb acting from everyone and some of the most spectacular fight choreography I've seen.

Will watch Ip Man 2 sometime soon.
    Cannot recommend this enough I have Ip man 2 on bluray havent watched it yet though

Some good foreign films that I have seen recently I won't go into much detail but all recommended

36(French film similarities with heat seems a little low budget in places but I haven't despised a character in a film for a long time)

Mad detective ( unusual Korean film where he sees people's different personalities recommended)

More well known highly recommended foreign films: pans labyrinth, city of god, lives of others, let the right one in, la haine, old boy , battle royale, tell no one, infernal affairs (sod the departed), anything for her, mesrine, a prophet

If you dont do subtitles: animal kingdom (australian) Ben mendelshon is immense in this as he is in killing them softly

I have got thirst, mother, hidden to watch

I know this is a film thread but I also must recommend the following tv series you may not have seen: romanzo criminale(Italian) the shadowline (British series) and probably the most well known of the three generation kill (us)

Edited by jaangus at 19:03:09 23-06-2013

Edited by jaangus at 19:04:34 23-06-2013
  • Toonster 23 Jun 2013 20:44:17 6,821 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Monsters University - 8/10

Very entertaining, and being a huge fan of Monsters Inc, they did a very good job retaining the spirit and humour of the first film. Some of the verbal jokes were a bit hit and miss, but a lot of the physical humour was absolutely inspired, and you could see the animators having so much fun with the characters. Plenty of great moments, and it seems to get better as it goes along. MUCH better than Brave, but not up there with Pixar's best. Either way, a step in the right direction after Pixar's recent slump.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 20:56:21 2,142 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @jaangus

Thirst is a great tonic to all the teen vampire films of the same time. I can also highly recommend Hidden (Cache) and any other film by Michael Haneke. White Ribbon and Piano Teacher come to mind. Also Funny Games, although I've only seen his American version.

Edited by JiveHound at 20:57:43 23-06-2013

Edited by JiveHound at 20:59:01 23-06-2013

Edited by JiveHound at 20:59:30 23-06-2013

• kentmonkey 23 Jun 2013 20:57:17 20,075 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Django Unchained

Great performances, intriguing story, slightly let down that the German guy wasn't 'explained' (i.e. what really were his motives?) but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it. Some good humour as well.

8/10
  • JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 21:01:05 2,142 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Toonster wrote:
    Monsters University - 8/10

Very entertaining, and being a huge fan of Monsters Inc, they did a very good job retaining the spirit and humour of the first film. Some of the verbal jokes were a bit hit and miss, but a lot of the physical humour was absolutely inspired, and you could see the animators having so much fun with the characters. Plenty of great moments, and it seems to get better as it goes along. MUCH better than Brave, but not up there with Pixar's best. Either way, a step in the right direction after Pixar's recent slump.
    I love your picture. For me Cloudy is the best animated film since Up!

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 21:10:01 4,671 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    For me Cloudy is the best animated film since Up!
    For me, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is the funniest computer animated film of all time.

... the Dads raised eyebrows moment had me crying with laugher!

Totally cannot wait for the sequel too.
  • JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 21:51:30 2,142 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Aye, the raised eyebrows bit was brilliant. There's going to be a sequel? I don't know how I feel about that. Not needed in my opinion.

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 22:10:00 4,671 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    There's going to be a sequel? I don't know how I feel about that. Not needed in my opinion.
    The trailer for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 looks rather promising to be quite fair.

It could go either way however, I do know the same screenwriters are on board for the sequel so, that's a very good thing!

I just hope it makes me laugh just as much as the first film did to be honest.
  • kentmonkey 23 Jun 2013 22:11:16 20,075 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I genuinely thought Cloudy was terrible, and I generally love animated movies. Perhaps I should give it another chance.
  • simsini 23 Jun 2013 22:33:07 296 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Despicable Me 2 - 9/10

Gru becomes an anti-villain to tackle someone who has stolen a research centre in the Arctic. Funny from start to finish, especially the minions. Probably the best animated film on the year including what is to come.
  • Toonster 23 Jun 2013 22:36:54 6,821 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JiveHound

One of my faves, too! I actually started work at Sony Pictures Animation this year, so I've been able to meet so many people working on the sequel, plus the directors of the first film popped in earlier this week :D

Second film is looking good so far!

Edited by Toonster at 22:40:07 23-06-2013

• JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 22:42:49 2,142 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Toonster

Congratulations to you sir.

When I worked at Blockbusters and Cloudy was released on Bluray I tried to convince as many people as I could to give it a punt and the few that did thanked me for it. It's a shame that it's put into the same bracket as all the other me-too animated films.

I have to admit I will remain sceptical on the sequel. Not many films have warranted a follow up in my experience no matter how excellent. The test is whether they can do anything more with the central conceit.

I hope they do.

• mrpon 23 Jun 2013 22:51:43 27,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A foray back into US Netflix brought me some Deadfall and Seeking Justice. The former an Eric Bana thriller ala Bonny & Clyde in the snow. Cocky and mean performance by the lead, a solid 7/10.

The latter another Nic Cage movie where he gets the shit kicked out of him. Plus points, Nic with a goatee, Guy Pearce with a skinhead and January Jones in her smalls. Minus points, everything else oh and Deb from Dexter without a potty mouth 5/10

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Toonster 23 Jun 2013 22:53:58 6,821 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, Jive! I actually found the first film initially off-putting based on the trailers, because they didn't do a very good job of portraying the film's sense of humour, which is obviously its main strength. Then someone recommended it to me, and since then, it's been one of the most quotable films among my group of friends. As for the sequel, they've done a great job on expanding beyond the first film's main concept. I can't give much away obviously ;)

edit: I also may be slightly biased :p

Edited by Toonster at 22:57:41 23-06-2013

• vijay_UK 23 Jun 2013 22:54:18 1,668 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know fans have been critical but I had a blast watching star trek into darkness. It's not trek as we know it - some of the cast are still high from the 2009 film but it's fun and I'm paying to watch it.

9/10
  • beastmaster 24 Jun 2013 00:35:39 10,176 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World War Z - 7.5/10

Waaaayyy better than this film had any right to be. All the reported trouble and delays seem to have helped, rather than hindered the film.

The film is surprisingly tense and in a few places, rather quite scary. By that, I mean the thought of the sheer weight of numbers and what you would have to do to survive if everyone turned against you. A few jump moments that really work well too.

The zombies behave like you'd expect an angry swarm of rats. On the early trailers all the 'pile ups' and mass charging looked a bit laughable. However, the effects throughout the entire film are superb and they've pulled it off in terms of what they wanted to achieve. It's as believable as it's going to get.

The level of violence is pitched about right. It's a 15 and although it never reaches 28 Days Later levels, it suits the film just fine. It would probably have a bit more of an impact if there was blood, guts and gore everywhere but the films first two acts move at such speed, there's no real time for dwelling on it anyway.

The third act slows things down considerably and attempts to crank up the tension and scares. I though the first two acts delivered these better but it's still effective. It also delivers a very safe, go home audience, be happy and come and see the sequels ending and wrapped up in a bow. It works and is 'fine' but the entire third act was reshot.

The original third act was a lot ballsier, bleaker and quite frankly, downright grim. This would have been magnificent if they decided to stick with the original third act in Russia. It will probably show up on a directors cut one day.

In the meantime, you've got a decent blockbuster which may surprise you. Tension, scares, balls-to-the-wall action and zombies. Lots and lots of zombies.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Blaketown 24 Jun 2013 12:08:38 4,630 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Despicable Me 2 78%
    Fun enough. Some decent jokes. Kristin Wiig is great as usual. He's not very "Despicable" though.

The Maltese Falcon 88%
    Loved this. Hell of a change of pace from modern films (and not just the blistering speed the women talk at) but Bogey is a bad mother fucker (regardless of era).

Oz The Great And Powerful 74%
    Pretty spectacular in places but not much fun if truth be told.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 24 Jun 2013 12:15:18 83,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killing them Softly

I really liked this, but I think your response will depend very much on how you approach it. If you're expecting what it appears to promise - a gangster thriller type thing - then you'll be disappointed. It's quite slow and brooding, and while it's technically about gangsters and criminals, they're mostly just sitting around talking. It is however well written and beautifully shot, and that was enough for me to enjoy it. It is basically what Jesse James was to Westerns, but with gangsters.

As a side note, Brad Pitt continues to be an enigma for me. I find him highly watchable and yet utterly unconvincing. It's weird.

8/10
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 24 Jun 2013 12:20:08 7,386 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Freddy vs. Jason (2003): 6/10
  • Rhaegyr 24 Jun 2013 12:23:27 1,110 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Chinatown

Still fantastic. Probably the best screenplay ever written.

9/10
  • Load_2.0 24 Jun 2013 12:25:35 18,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bullet to the head.

Sly plays a charmless lump of a hitman, guy from Fast and Furious Tokyo drift plays a cop whose detective skills consist of calling HQ on his mobile,

Odd dialogue and a load of people getting whacked, no one seems ro care much about anything.

A crap version of Showdown in little Tokyo.

5/10.
  • simsini 24 Jun 2013 12:29:04 296 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Hunger Games - 4/10

Give me Battle Royale anyday over this. Too much time on the build-up and not enough time on the games themselves. The ending is rushed and a cop-out too.
  • captbirdseye 24 Jun 2013 12:36:09 4,343 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @craigy love that film, and sits in the so bad its good category.
  • ryohazuki1983 24 Jun 2013 12:55:34 685 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Purge - 1/10

One of the worst films I've ever seen. Avoid.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 13:01:46
    You need to see more films.
  • beastmaster 24 Jun 2013 23:40:56 10,176 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @jaangus

Thanks. I've watched Ip Man 2 and found it highly enjoyable. As for your list, I've seen most of the ones you've mentioned there. I'll check out the ones I haven't seen over the next few weeks.

Anyhow...

FDR: American Badass - 5/10

Right then. I wanted to constantly turn it off but I couldn't. I want to give this a much lower score but I can't. I wanted to LOL but I didn't. Any film that makes Emperor Hirihito look like the lion from The Wizard Of Oz is not all bad. That dude's wife who wanted to suck every guys cock was quite slutty and honry and that made me happy.

The most WTF film I've seen in a very, very long time.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 2586 First / Last