Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2252

• Page

of 2864 First / Last

• beastmaster 18 Jun 2013 22:43:19 11,993 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ip Man - 9/10

"I want to fight ten men!". Holy fuck this film is just fucking fantastic. Not seen it before and it's got everything. A great story, superb acting from everyone and some of the most spectacular fight choreography I've seen.

Will watch Ip Man 2 sometime soon.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• captainrentboy 18 Jun 2013 23:17:08 1,107 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @beastmaster
    Prepare for disappointment. It's nowhere near as good as the first.
  • oceanmotion 18 Jun 2013 23:27:55 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Warm Bodies 5/10

Different and rather muted. They basically ignore the zombie basics at rapid pace which is a bit jarring. Not enough humour or that many interesting parts. The Bonies were a neat side creation but just thrown in there. Didn't mind the premise but they could have gave it a bit more punch.

A hot Kristen Stewart who could act was weird because it wasn't her.

Edited by oceanmotion at 23:28:50 18-06-2013
  • WrongShui 18 Jun 2013 23:40:56 6,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Don't bother, it's terrible.
  • DFawkes 19 Jun 2013 00:01:41 24,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't think Ip Man 2 was all that bad. Certainly not as good as the first, but I still enjoyed it.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Gaol 19 Jun 2013 00:07:23 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SuperMan MOS
    12%
    Which I'm giving it for the opening sequence on Krypton. Everything after was dire.
  • Tonka 19 Jun 2013 07:02:52 21,354 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I didn't think Ip Man 2 was all that bad. Certainly not as good as the first, but I still enjoyed it.
    It's more of a brain dead ROCKY III action brawler with strong nationalistic themes. I think the other Ip Man is probably a better film than Ip Man 2.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Phattso Moderator 19 Jun 2013 07:12:49 13,940 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Star Trek: Into Darkness

Not nearly dark enough. Liking the alternate reality of the reboot. Liked the characters. Ambivalent to the story, and the escalating PERIIIIL! every ten seconds. Still enjoyed it.

7/10
  • beastmaster 19 Jun 2013 20:12:49 11,993 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems to be the general consensus that Ip Man 2 is shit. I've been advised to seek out a film called The Five Fingers of Death. Apparently it was called King Boxer (what a SHIT name) here in the UK. It's probably on YouTube in full.

• b0rk 19 Jun 2013 20:15:54 2,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the fuck is the Ip Man 2 is shit fuckery? Ip Man 2 is godlike.

GODLIKE
  • b0rk 19 Jun 2013 20:17:26 2,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay fine it's not as good as Ip Man I'll give you that but still it's fucking ace.
  • Tonka 20 Jun 2013 10:15:30 21,354 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Robot & Frank
    I loved the realistic take on the near future. Having a household robot is described as something perfectly mundane. Slow understated film about a lot of things and with good acting.

Sometimes it made me lol, sometimes it was heartbreaking, sometimes thought provoking.

A tad too slow to be perfect but I'm still going to rate it as:

A must see

Plus it reminded me of the excellent website known as robot-frank.com

Edited by Tonka at 10:41:33 20-06-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kentmonkey 20 Jun 2013 11:37:38 20,930 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fight Club

I just don't get this film. Or rather I do 'get' it, I know what's happening, know it's clever, like some of the twists and the fact that you can watch it a second time and see even more 'reveals' happening throughout...it just doesn't grab me.

I think Norton, Pitt and Carter have all put in far better performances in other films, and while I don't dislike it, it just does nothing for me.

Third watch now - I was sure on this one I'd understand the love. Failed.

5/10
  • Dangerous_Dan 20 Jun 2013 11:53:54 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Third watch now - I was sure on this one I'd understand the love. Failed.
    Is there a character in the movie, who you can identify with or whose motivations you can relate to? That's often the reason why we like something or don't.
  • Megapocalypse 20 Jun 2013 13:01:43 5,518 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Django Unchained - 8/10

Long and felt slow at times because of it but was still fun. Needed more mysterious coffins.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 13:05:33
    I don't really see what's not to like in Fight Club. It's an interesting concept, whips along at a fair old pace, interesting characters and slickly written. It's not a bonafide classic but it's up there with the best films of the 90s.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 13:08:35
    Still one of Fincher's best films.
  • glaeken 20 Jun 2013 13:34:36 11,266 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's no Panic room.
  • kentmonkey 20 Jun 2013 14:16:06 20,930 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't really see what's not to like in Fight Club. It's an interesting concept, whips along at a fair old pace, interesting characters and slickly written. It's not a bonafide classic but it's up there with the best films of the 90s.
    I wouldn't disagree with anything there, other than the very last line.

I don't dislike it, at all. I'm harsh with scores, so a 5/10 for me is arguably what it should be, didn't dwell up any bad or great feelings. It was just alright.

One of the best of the 90s though, not for me. I appreciate it, I like what it's trying to do, or even does, it just doesn't do anything for me, positively or negatively.
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 14:18:44 17,384 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Don't bother, it's terrible.
    It does have Sammo Hung in it being awesome which does elevate it somewhat!

You are a factory of sadness.

• craigy Staff 20 Jun 2013 14:28:31 7,843 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man of Steel: 7/10

Neeed mooar Jor-El!
  • beastmaster 20 Jun 2013 14:40:34 11,993 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, okay, I'll watch the Ip fucking Man 2 tonight :-)

• Mola_Ram 20 Jun 2013 14:43:37 8,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I liked the Ip Man films, but the cheesy nationalism and melodrama sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like China has caught up to 80s American action films.
  • DFawkes 20 Jun 2013 14:44:28 24,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Okay, okay, I'll watch the Ip fucking Man 2 tonight :-)
    Make sure you do, lest I resort to linking to Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic and IMDB ratings! I didn't feel the story was as good, and the villain of the film hams it up as much as possible, but it's still worth watching as the fights are well choreographed and the story is still alright.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 14:56:25 17,384 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is a massive whiff of pro china about it but it's always been that way in martial arts film imo. Be that Thai, Japanese, Chinese or any other derivations.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 14:56:50 20-06-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• DugBriderider 20 Jun 2013 15:28:13 530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Perhaps Fight Club doesn't date well but I remember seeing it in the cinema twice (2nd time was unintentional) and thought it was great at capturing what its like to be a young man on the cusp of the millennium.

I'm not sure watching it 13 years later at home would seem so special.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jun 2013 15:32:25 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jack Irish

Bad Debts

Jack Irish is an Australian thriller, with Jack Irish played by Guy Pearce. After losing his wife he quits his job as a lawyer and turns to doing odd jobs. When an old client is murdered he starts digging into what happened and is the way with thrillers discovers more than he bargained for.

As well as the investigation itself there's other threads bubbling away in the background, the horse racing thread stands out as it has a couple of fun characters. Pearce does a good job with the main characters and the story progresses well.

It's not an action based thriller, which I liked, sometimes it's nice just to watch an investigation unfold.

Worth a watch.

Black Tide

Black Tide is another film starring Guy Pearce as Jack Irish, a part time investigator who gets himself caught up in another investigation. As before he finds himself in over his head. He's a fun character to watch in action and again it's good to watch the investigation unfurl without unnecessary excitement.

The same background characters from the first film are back. The youth club in the pub, the dodgy horse racing pair.

All in all a fun watch.

7/10 for them both

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 21 Jun 2013 17:21:47 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Crow: City of Angels

I loved The Crow, it was a fun revenge flick. I even enjoyed the third film, but this is a poor film. It follows the same pattern, the same basic story. A man and his son are murdered, he then returns to get his revenge.

The main bad guy doesn't really cut it (although he does play a better bad guy in Firefly, so I'll forgive him for that) and Iggy Pop is mildly amusing to watch strutting his stuff, but the film lacks any charm. The lead is faceless and brings nothing to the party There's no decent one-liners and the fights are a bit rubbish. And the ending must have sounded better in someone's head than it looked on film.

A pretty poor film, you should watch the original instead.

3/10

• TechnoHippy 21 Jun 2013 19:05:24 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dracula 2001

While far from a great film it does have a few saving graces, first is the story. It's an interesting take on the Dracula legend, I especially liked the origin. It's also fun to see a young Nathan Fillion and Jeri Ryan in action.

Unfortunately those points aren't enough to turn this into a decent film. It's not a terrible film, but if you're after some vampire action then there are better films out there.

5/10

• senso-ji 21 Jun 2013 22:16:25 6,043 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Chaser

Brilliantly dark and violent thriller about an ex-cop turned pimp who needs to find one of his girls that's disappeared. The plot is unique in that the identity of the suspect is revealed early on, but it's the tension of the race to save lives before times runs out that makes this film a gem. Kim Yoon-Seok's performance as the lead is a excellent; he captures the range of emotions that this film takes you through with great skill.

I have to warn people, though, that the level of violence in this is much more visceral than the Hollywood thrillers we're normally used to and the last 30 mins in particular may shock you.

9/10
  • Page

of 2864 First / Last