of 2839 First / Last

• tuff 17 Jun 2013 20:19:00 628 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Stockings wrote:
    Scanners(On Youtube)

7/10

Loads of nice touches like GREAT sound effects for the scanning, and even better, different sound effects for diff types of scan, Each scanners scan has a diff effect on recipients as well.

Cheaply made and it looks it, terrible lead actor, slow and a bit boring in places, but it remains interesting and unique throughout and has the best boss battle ever at the end.
    Now watch Videodrome.

Scanners is one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made by the way ;)
    Videodrome is bloody class. 1st saw it on BBC 2's Moviedome (?).
  • kentmonkey 17 Jun 2013 21:17:10 20,859 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Inglorious Basterds

Watched it two years ago and thought it was alright, having finished watching it again today (over three sittings, never seem to get to watch many films in one sitting these days) it's even better on the second viewing.

Christoph Waltz really does put in a fantastic performance, and Brad Pitt's is well done as well - hamming his part up just enough to make it amusing and not so much to make it annoying. His american-italian scene towards the end in the cinema is brilliant.

8/10
  • monkman76 17 Jun 2013 21:50:03 5,037 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes IB has improved each time I've watched it too (3 or 4 times now). Waltz is much better in this than in Django IMO.
  • Toonster 17 Jun 2013 21:53:28 6,845 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man of Steel - 7/10

Decent flick, first half was pretty good and Henry Cavill did well playing Superman. I didn't even mind Michael Shannon's crazy scream-acting. Russell Crowe's performance was a pleasant surprise.

Then the second half happens, and all the emotional weight and character development that built up over the previous half of the film is thrown out the window. The action was still fun and I was entertained almost the whole time, but what could have been an amazing second half was hindered by bad dialogue, some weird leaps in logic, and action scenes that got a little too repetitive.

Overall, though, a fun watch, and probably Zach Snyder's best film so far.

edit: oh, most disappointing part was probably the score. I liked the main theme, but other than that, it was a generic mish-mash of Hans Zimmer's previous work on Inception and The Dark Knight.

Edited by Toonster at 21:56:53 17-06-2013

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 21:53:59
    I still firmly believe that the first scene in Inglorious Basterds is one of the best ever committed to film. Even the mistakes in it are intentional.
  • mrpon 17 Jun 2013 21:54:46 29,390 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Even the mistakes in it are intentional.
    Go on..

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 21:57:57
    Stuff like the subtitles for French reading "Oui" and "Merci" instead of "yes" and "thank you".
  • localnotail 17 Jun 2013 21:59:30 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Interesting fact about this film (Django Unchained): it was the first movie in 18 years where Samuel L Jackson has not played himself, instead playing the role of his tedious motherfucking dad.
    He doesn't really play himself in The Last Kiss Goodnight. More like his weaselly cousin.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• M83J01P97 17 Jun 2013 22:00:13 6,699 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    QT gets a little too over hyped some of the time, but there is no denying he is one of the best writers of film dialogue around, and has been for a long time.
  • kentmonkey 17 Jun 2013 22:01:07 20,859 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I still firmly believe that the first scene in Inglorious Basterds is one of the best ever committed to film. Even the mistakes in it are intentional.
    Agreed. Hadn't noticed the mistakes, but the opening scene is fantastic. The ending's pretty good as well.
  • simsini 18 Jun 2013 10:28:36 320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stuck In Love - 8/10

Romantic drama about a writer who has never got over his wife leaving him and the relationship issues his two children have too. Good performances throughout and some very touching moments, but not in the usual sugar-coated fashion. Recommended.

Man of Steel - 6/10

Very well acted but takes itself far too seriously and makes Clark Kent seem a God-like figure. The action sequences were far too long and drawn out.

Now You See Me - 9/10

Great story with fantastic performances, one of the best films I have seen this year. Will keep you guessing the whole way through.

Edited by simsini at 10:30:57 18-06-2013
  • Tonka 18 Jun 2013 10:30:55 21,129 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What mistakes?

It sure did keep on on the edge of my seat for the duration. Fantastic scene. Too bad the film didn't end there.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Megapocalypse 18 Jun 2013 10:37:00 5,490 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    End Call 1/10

Japanese horror apparently. Utter shite. Boring nonsense about calling the devil to grant a wish except it's completely incomprehensible due dull poorly acted characters and strange time jumps. Two months later, one month earlier, one month later, two months earlier.... What's wrong with a nice chronological order!?

I need to start being more selective with my random lovefilm instant choices.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 10:41:32 18-06-2013
  • Dougs 18 Jun 2013 10:37:20 69,012 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have to watch IB again, only seen it once and thought it was fantastic.
  • beastmaster 18 Jun 2013 10:38:04 11,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks to BillMurray for recommending this.

Miami Connection - 8.5/10

From IMDB - "A martial arts rock band goes up against a band of motorcycle ninjas who have tightened their grip on Florida's narcotics trade".

Quite possibly one of the best "so bad it's good" films I've seen in a very long time. The message here is how taekwondo can be used to deliver the message of world peace. The band called Dragon Sound are just a joy to behold. They film contains three of their songs in all their glory. Seeing Ninjas on motorcycles is one thing, but the reaction they get when they surround a car on their bikes is "Oh, ninjas!"

This is on Netflix US and well worth watching.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Dougs 18 Jun 2013 10:42:46 69,012 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds like a great Friday night film.
  • dr_swin 18 Jun 2013 10:52:37 4,907 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Samsara

Absolutely stunning dialogue free, arty film celebrating the beauty of nature and man's creativity but also highlighting the negative impact of humanity on the world. It is set to music only.
    Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was incredible.

The Impossible

Superb film. I think Naomi Watts was more deserving of the best actress oscar than Jennifer Lawrence for this role.

• glaeken 18 Jun 2013 11:13:07 11,234 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    What mistakes?

It sure did keep on on the edge of my seat for the duration. Fantastic scene. Too bad the film didn't end there.
    Apparently there are lots of deliberate continuity mistakes. The level of the milk in the glass is constantly changing is one I know. Apparently QT deliberately puts such continuity mistakes into his films. It does occur to me though if you put that idea about a bit you can not worry to much about continuity and any mistakes that are made can be put down to you being some sort of quirky film making genius.
  • Blakester 18 Jun 2013 11:24:14 3,651 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Tide

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is a comedy right?

Five of the worst actors in the world, head out to Shark Alley and get munched on by Great White sharks.

8/10 as a comedy, 2/10 as a drama.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kinky_mong 18 Jun 2013 11:25:37 10,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hunger Games

Rubbish Battle Royale copy. Takes too long to build up to the actual games, and the ending was just awful. That made me really angry at such a wasted opportunity.

4/10

Shame

Alternative title, The Increasingly Ridiculous Cum Faces of Fassbender.

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzz. Just a pointless film.

2/10

Oldboy

Very good revenge story, and with a great twist. The corridor fight scene was a definite highlight as well.

8/10

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Max_Powers 18 Jun 2013 11:29:24 1,102 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was on two loooooonnng airplane trips to the US and back:

This is the End 5/10

Really funny first half destroyed by a completely boring 2nd half. This would have been much more fun as an all out contemporary parody of Hollywood without the end of the world 'plot'.

Warm Bodies 5/10

Destroys its own internal logic at every turn making this a movie I really couldn't care about.

The Master 7/10

Beautifully shot, great direction and fantastic acting but didn't do anything for me emotionally.

Side Effects 7/10

Decent but not spectacular thriller.

Old Boy 8/10

Never got round to watching this before. Highlight was a fantastic fight scene seen from the side that is a complete one take and quite amazing.
  • Max_Powers 18 Jun 2013 11:31:14 1,102 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:

Oldboy

Very good revenge story, and with a great twist. The corridor fight scene was a definite highlight as well.

8/10
    Ok, now this is just scary :)
  • kinky_mong 18 Jun 2013 11:45:05 10,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hahahaha! Well it is a great scene!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• ronuds 18 Jun 2013 15:26:55 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark Knight Rises

I'm not going to say anything that hasn't already been said.

Pros:
    Cool Bat vehicles
    Ummm...

Cons:
    Anne Hathaway
    Bane's stupid voice
    The length of the film. I just don't have the patience for these 2+ hour films about guys in costumes anymore!

71/100

Edited by ronuds at 15:29:14 18-06-2013
  • spindle9988 18 Jun 2013 17:02:29 3,660 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought Anne Hathaway was great
  • Dougs 18 Jun 2013 17:03:39 69,012 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, Anne Hathaway was easily in the "pro" side of things
  • ronuds 18 Jun 2013 17:08:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I couldn't figure out why she had to be in the film other than to say Anne Hathaway was in the film.
  • Benno 18 Jun 2013 17:09:54 10,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    Samsara

Absolutely stunning dialogue free, arty film celebrating the beauty of nature and man's creativity but also highlighting the negative impact of humanity on the world. It is set to music only.
    Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was incredible.

Watched the blu-ray of this one cold evening on my projector. Was spectacular in the true sense of the word.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Jun 2013 17:24:44 24,039 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds a bit like Koyaanisqatsi and the other ones.

Kal is being strangely quiet about his opinion on MoS.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 18:05:08 18-06-2013

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• senso-ji 18 Jun 2013 22:30:58 5,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Clash of the Titans (2010)

What the fuck was this?! Horrible story, woeful acting, boring set piece after boring set piece, and some of the stupidest ideas I've seen on film (a Djinn riding a giant scorpion? Really?).

The only positive for me was that I didn't fork out extra cash to watch this in 3D at the local multiplex.

2/10

Edited by senso-ji at 22:31:12 18-06-2013
  • Page

of 2839 First / Last