Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2249

• Page

of 2801 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 15 Jun 2013 09:32:37 7,691 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    It felt forced. Holding her hand when there was no romantic build up, kissing?
    Maybe he was just really desperate?
  • Deleted user 15 June 2013 09:36:53
    He held her hand to comfort her, not because he was coming onto her.

This is why you'll never replace beastmaster as this sites premier film reviewer.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jun 2013 09:40:39 7,691 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Assuming that was directed at Bodybuilder :)
  • Deleted user 15 June 2013 09:41:04
    Yessir
  • beastmaster 15 Jun 2013 09:43:09 11,608 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking life stuff getting in the way of sharing my feelings dammit! Aldi? Fuck off!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 15 June 2013 09:45:05
    beastmaster wrote:
    Fucking life stuff getting in the way of sharing my feelings dammit! Aldi? Fuck off!
    10/10!
  • Bremenacht 15 Jun 2013 10:55:15 18,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    An unforgettable shopping experience.
  • Toonster 15 Jun 2013 11:08:28 6,845 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the End - 8.5/10

The funniest comedy I've seen in a good while. There are some in-jokes for people living in Los Angeles/Hollywood, so some of the humour may fall flat depending on how familiar you are with that part of the world. Outside of that, there are some really inspired scenes, a great list of cameos and the movie keeps on firing on all cylinders until the very end, where it gets a little uneven. There's one part of the film that actually made me cry with laughter. I cannot recall the last time a movie made me do that.

Edited by Toonster at 11:15:50 15-06-2013

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• The-Bodybuilder 15 Jun 2013 15:31:15 14,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    He held her hand to comfort her, not because he was coming onto her.

This is why you'll never replace beastmaster as this sites premier film reviewer.
    Don't wanna type too much as I'm using a tablet, but the desert scene for instance, there seemed no need for hand-holding.
    With everything going on, just didn't seem like there was any time to fsll for her, fundamentally they only spent like a total of 20 mind together. Just happened rather quick.

IMO, they had too much to do. They had an origin story to fit in, a romance to develop, develop time for Zod, plus an epic battle. Considering that, I think they did the best they could.

But I do think they should've left out the romance till the next movie. As everything other than the forced kiss was just starting the set up.

It has one of the best soundtracks ever though.
  • Max_Powers 15 Jun 2013 16:17:06 1,100 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man of Steel 5/10

Mileage may vary based on how much you like 45min CGI fights. I like my Superman films to be about what it means to be human and about religion (Superman as Jesus parable) so this one wasn't for me. Not entirely bad but boring.

I feel that now that we can do everthing with special effects, directors need to learn some restraint so that we get movies again instead of theme park rides. There were a lot of good actors in this film that didn't get anything useful to do.

I also hate lazy cliches. The female bad guy like so many bad guys is this asperges suffering dimwit with such unforgettable lines such as "A good death is it's own reward" and two facial expressions.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Jun 2013 17:05:53 14,719 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finding Nemo

It might not be Pixar's best film (that honour goes to Monsters Inc in my opinion, although I'm sure many will disagree), but it does show what Pixar does best. It has humour for everyone, a charming story (with the requisite peaks and troughs) and lovely visuals. Here's a pop fact for you, Finding Nemo was the first film I ever watched in HD.

It's great fun to watch and has some great characters. The seagulls were brilliant. Simply wonderful.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• kalel 15 Jun 2013 17:49:44 88,451 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe some of this MoS discussion could take place in the specific thread. Bit detailed to be posting without spoilers in here.

Edited by kalel at 17:50:04 15-06-2013
  • beastmaster 15 Jun 2013 17:58:45 11,608 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man of Steel 3.5/10

A film from the director of Sucker Punch and the writer of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Both have done much, much better but unfortunately for me, this film sits alongside the two I've just mentioned.

Why? There are a a few reasons. But the main problem I had with it was what Max mentioned about the lack of the essence of what it is to be human. This is down to Snyder's awful direction and Cavill's performance of Supoerman. I'll come back to this and the end of my rant/review/piece of shit/whatever. I'm going to mention a few other things.

General Zod. Oh dear. Had such high hopes for Shannon as Zod but Snyder's turned him into the cartoon boo-hiss villain of the week. Lucas is notorious for his only direction being "faster" and "more intense". Snyder decided to go "wide eyed" and "louder". What makes it even sadder where that some of the early scenes between him and Crowe were really quite good.

Lois Lane and the rest of the other supporting cast? Totally devoid of any kind of emotion. I just really didn't care for any of them at all. Just seemed flat and monotone all the way though. Pretty much all forgettable.

Plot and pacing. It's been mentioned by a few other people that the whole film seems rushed. I can understand this to a point and everyone wants to whizz though the Smallville years and get to the 'good stuff' with Clarke as an adult.. Yet even that seems rushed in order to get to the final fight sequence between Zod and Superman.

Ah, that fight sequence. Epic, yes? I'm getting very jaded with 12A levels of property destruction on an epic/biblical scale. I'm mainly looking at The Avengers and the Transformers films. Probably a couple of other ones I've totally forgotten about. All this was going on and I didn't care one bit and was totally disengaged from it all. The main problem I had with this Superman film was with Superman himself.

Thanks to Snyder's direction I just didn't connect with Clarke or Superman at all. This is down to the script and the direction and unfortunately there seems to be nothing Cavill can do about it.

What do you do with a man who's so super? You have to give him a weakness. To be fair what they came up with is rather snazzy. Yet for me it's not a green rock and nor is it what they came up with in this film. It's how he feels about humans and this was totally ignored for the most part and not used or exploited enough. All the way through this film, Cavill just seems to be going through the motions. There's a scene late in the film where he proves he cares but it just didn't convince me at all. Even his brief anger didn't convince me. He was also totally fearless.

Here's an unfair but justified comparison. Christopher Reeve managed not only to convince that he was a god amongst men but also managed to convey all the emotions that a human upbringing would have. Fear, anger, love etc. with consummate ease. He also bought the character warmth, heart, soul and a sense of humour. All of which is lacking in this film.

Did I like anything? The score is superb, I liked Crowe's performance as Jor-El and you do get to see Superman do super stuff. It wasn't boring either.

However, my overall impression of the film is that it's just another poor, loud, brash, soulless by-the-numbers blockbuster. I just didn't care about any of the characters at all and for a Superman film, that's terrible.

• oldschoolsoviet 15 Jun 2013 18:08:49 5,503 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now You See Me - 6/10

...now I do(h)n't. It's Ocean's Eleven. And Twelve. Thirteen ? Yep. With flashier CGI, ridiculous McGuffins and a cast who barely break a sweat ? Yep.

Seemed an interesting premise, four magicians recruited by a shady unknown entity to create a magician supergroup whose first act involves a bank robbery. Harrelson is typically enjoyable even when he's not really trying, Eisenberg as annoying as ever without even trying, and Caine and Freeman sleepwalk through their bit parts.

Like all good magic tricks, it relies on deception and trying to fool you into thinking it's great. Too many years of Penn & Teller reveals tells me it's passable at best. Go watch Heist to see a properly deceptive heist film.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2013 18:40:01
    The worst thing about that film, aside from the predictability, is that they basically abandon magic for technology and holograms halfway through, so even trying to work out how they did things is meaningless.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Jun 2013 18:57:48 14,719 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wargames

As a kid I loved this film and it was fantastic to watch this again after so many years. In some ways it hasn't aged well, but this merely adds to its nostalgic effect. It's very much a product of its time. The fear of nuclear war (I may have to watch Threads again!), the fear of computers and the wacky fashion of the eighties.

As with every film since then it gets hacking completely wrong, but that doesn't matter so much. The film isn't so much about the kid as a hacker. It's about him getting the girl and teaching the computer that sometimes the only way to win is...

I won't spoil it for you :-)

Suffice to say this was a great film thirty odd years ago and it's still a great film now.

10/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Steve_Perry 15 Jun 2013 20:48:04 4,565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Man of steel.

Bit lingering in parts but I really enjoyed it. I'd give it a solid 7.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• DUFFMAN5 15 Jun 2013 21:23:38 14,980 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does Superman have the iconic score ? I didn't hear it on the previews. IT needs that.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Steve_Perry 15 Jun 2013 21:36:01 4,565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It doesn't and you don't miss it. It would have looked daft in this version IMO.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• DUFFMAN5 15 Jun 2013 21:58:53 14,980 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    It doesn't and you don't miss it. It would have looked daft in this version IMO.
    Daft? You and me obviously come from a different school and time my friend...sir John Williams is what makes superman, Superman, well at the movies at any rate :-)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Steve_Perry 15 Jun 2013 22:18:02 4,565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love the theme, I just think it would be really out of place in this one.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Kostabi 15 Jun 2013 22:40:39 4,978 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pulling John - 8/10

Documentary on arm wrestling revolving around the old master, a young (and punchable) upstart and a new Russian challenger. Like all well done docus it sucks you in without needing any outside knowledge of the sport or the people. It's on Netflix.

Over The Top - 5.5/10

It's not aged terribly well but there's still a certain charm about it.

Edited by Kostabi at 22:46:35 15-06-2013
  • Deckard1 15 Jun 2013 22:45:53 28,741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like that you've had an evening focused on the art of arm wrestling.
  • Kostabi 15 Jun 2013 22:48:05 4,978 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, me too. Over The Top is referenced a few times so it seemed only right to watch it. I now feel like a girly man because I don't benchpress trucks.
  • senso-ji 15 Jun 2013 23:54:29 5,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    End of Watch

Very well done film. I think the chemistry between Gyllenhaal and Pena was sound and the semi-documentary style really helped capture the gritty subject matter effectively. I think they got the ending wrong. Both cops, IMO, should have died to make the end more poignant, but other than that, great police drama.

9/10
  • evild_edd 16 Jun 2013 01:06:52 3,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man Of Steel

An exhausting watch, but head and shoulders better than SR (and most other Superman films). Just nice to have a superman film where it's not Lex Luther as the baddie (he has to be the worst villain in history). God Vs Angry Bald Estate Agent was always underwhelming.

Anyway, this has it's problems (a LOT of plot and relentless/overwhelming final 45 mins) but it is impressive, visually at least. I'd have cut some of the side characters we neither needed not cared about, but imagine fans of the comics would appreciate the refs.

7/10

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• andijames 16 Jun 2013 01:10:20 2,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Let The Right One In 8 or 9/10

Personally it took me a while to adapt to the swedish approach to film making but this film is amazing. It sets the scene incredibly well and then jumps on you when least you're expecting it. It's been out a while and i've had it years but just given it time to watch now and it is definitely worth a watch.

Fantastic film making and personally wouldn't watch the american remake. This stands out as a truly damn good film.

Edit: Don't want to go into the details of the film incase people haven't seen it.

Edited by andijames at 01:10:44 16-06-2013

vivir el momento

• YenooR 16 Jun 2013 03:54:14 533 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Man of Steel 3.5/10

A film from the director of Sucker Punch and the writer of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Both have done much, much better but unfortunately for me, this film sits alongside the two I've just mentioned.

Why? There are a a few reasons. But the main problem I had with it was what Max mentioned about the lack of the essence of what it is to be human. This is down to Snyder's awful direction and Cavill's performance of Supoerman. I'll come back to this and the end of my rant/review/piece of shit/whatever. I'm going to mention a few other things.

General Zod. Oh dear. Had such high hopes for Shannon as Zod but Snyder's turned him into the cartoon boo-hiss villain of the week. Lucas is notorious for his only direction being "faster" and "more intense". Snyder decided to go "wide eyed" and "louder". What makes it even sadder where that some of the early scenes between him and Crowe were really quite good.

Lois Lane and the rest of the other supporting cast? Totally devoid of any kind of emotion. I just really didn't care for any of them at all. Just seemed flat and monotone all the way though. Pretty much all forgettable.

Plot and pacing. It's been mentioned by a few other people that the whole film seems rushed. I can understand this to a point and everyone wants to whizz though the Smallville years and get to the 'good stuff' with Clarke as an adult.. Yet even that seems rushed in order to get to the final fight sequence between Zod and Superman.

Ah, that fight sequence. Epic, yes? I'm getting very jaded with 12A levels of property destruction on an epic/biblical scale. I'm mainly looking at The Avengers and the Transformers films. Probably a couple of other ones I've totally forgotten about. All this was going on and I didn't care one bit and was totally disengaged from it all. The main problem I had with this Superman film was with Superman himself.

Thanks to Snyder's direction I just didn't connect with Clarke or Superman at all. This is down to the script and the direction and unfortunately there seems to be nothing Cavill can do about it.

What do you do with a man who's so super? You have to give him a weakness. To be fair what they came up with is rather snazzy. Yet for me it's not a green rock and nor is it what they came up with in this film. It's how he feels about humans and this was totally ignored for the most part and not used or exploited enough. All the way through this film, Cavill just seems to be going through the motions. There's a scene late in the film where he proves he cares but it just didn't convince me at all. Even his brief anger didn't convince me. He was also totally fearless.

Here's an unfair but justified comparison. Christopher Reeve managed not only to convince that he was a god amongst men but also managed to convey all the emotions that a human upbringing would have. Fear, anger, love etc. with consummate ease. He also bought the character warmth, heart, soul and a sense of humour. All of which is lacking in this film.

Did I like anything? The score is superb, I liked Crowe's performance as Jor-El and you do get to see Superman do super stuff. It wasn't boring either.

However, my overall impression of the film is that it's just another poor, loud, brash, soulless by-the-numbers blockbuster. I just didn't care about any of the characters at all and for a Superman film, that's terrible.
    Is it really that bad?
  • shooter 16 Jun 2013 05:47:58 394 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    no, to compare it to ghost rider is ridiculous to be honest
  • beastmaster 16 Jun 2013 08:07:55 11,608 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh there. It is better than Ghost Rider but not by a great margin. I just thought it wasn't of the same calibre of "From the director of 300 and Watchmen and the writer of Batman Begins". By a long shot.

I am also in a very small minority who doesn't like it. That's just what I though and there are quite a few people who here who gave it a 9.

Edited by beastmaster at 08:08:20 16-06-2013

• Page

of 2801 First / Last