Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2236

• Page

of 2699 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 22:43:53
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Choppi wrote:
    There is a book? Well it's too late for me now unfortunately. :(. Feeling super romantic now though, what a film.
    Annoyingly, some of the stronger issues (in the book) did not come across quite as well in the film however, it wasn't bad ... certainly one of the better films last year though.

Go watch 500 Days of Summer if you haven't already seen it!
    Thanks!! x. I've just watched the trailer and it looks fantastic. I will rent it tomorrow when I return silver lining.
  • CharlieStCloud 27 May 2013 22:48:02 5,011 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Thanks!! x. I've just watched the trailer and it looks fantastic. I will rent it tomorrow when I return silver lining.
    If you say you are feeling 'super romantic' this evening, just you wait until after you watch 500 Days of Summer.

: )
  • B0rked_Gamer 27 May 2013 22:48:19 2,480 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Giving U.S. Marine Enlistment: The Movie exactly the same score as Cool Runnings should be a bannable offence.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 May 2013 23:10:35 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Evil Dead (remake) - 3/10

Scary ? For 12yos perhaps, but I'll bet even they're too busy drinking and chibbing each other these days to bother with this. None of the comical awfulness of the original, and the played-straight angle bored me to death. Gore didn't exactly do owt either, bar that strong finish - a slight chuckle was raised.

Die Straight Hard to Video - 3/10

No. Don't film it in cheap looking HD video. Don't open with an excruciatingly long-winded 20min car chase designed for the ADHD generation (OHH IT HIT A CAR ! AND ANOTHER ! AND ANOTHER ! WOW !) Don't let Willis disappear into an OTT caricature of the McClane character (I'M ON VACATION !), nor cast a bland, lifeless, empty persona puppet as his son.

And don't pay 'homage' to the previous films by including/plagirising ideas and shots left, right and centre, because there's nothing original rattling in your heads.

Points are purely for the nicely filmed explosions, all three of them. And that's being generous.
  • Gartt 28 May 2013 01:17:39 1,734 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hard Target 7/10

Probably not worthy of a score that high but I'm binging on John Woo films at the moment and this was one I had never got round to.

This was a very solid 90s action film, with a few John Woo flourishes and plenty of plot holes. Van Damme punches a snake in the face, bonus point just for that and bonus points for Lance Henrikson.
  • werewolf_poo 28 May 2013 01:26:35 136 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hangover Part 3 - 3/10

Amusing in parts, but overall just not funny anymore. Theres no actual hangover, waking up after a hard night drinking and trying to piece together what went wrong was fun, but this story was just a bit "meh", not a patch on the other 2.

Funniest part was after the credits role

Edited by werewolf_poo at 01:33:29 28-05-2013
  • werewolf_poo 28 May 2013 01:32:49 136 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

Die Straight Hard to Video - 3/10

No. Don't film it in cheap looking HD video. Don't open with an excruciatingly long-winded 20min car chase designed for the ADHD generation (OHH IT HIT A CAR ! AND ANOTHER ! AND ANOTHER ! WOW !) Don't let Willis disappear into an OTT caricature of the McClane character (I'M ON VACATION !), nor cast a bland, lifeless, empty persona puppet as his son.

And don't pay 'homage' to the previous films by including/plagirising ideas and shots left, right and centre, because there's nothing original rattling in your heads.

Points are purely for the nicely filmed explosions, all three of them. And that's being generous.

Sadly I agree, completely ruined it. The movie never actually gets into a "Die hard movie" groove and felt flat from start to finish. I actually turned to my girlfriend in the cinema half way through and said "what have they done, this is pish"

Repeating "i'm on vacation" several times was a bit of a cringe. How they can look at the other 4 movies and come up with this turd is beyond me.
  • werewolf_poo 28 May 2013 01:43:56 136 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MysteryLamb wrote:
    Cool Runnings 6/10
    Oh no you didn't!
  • Madder-Max 28 May 2013 01:55:56 11,618 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fresh Meat (2013) - 8/10

This is brilliant. Tribeca film thingy on virgin.
    Lots going on for a film about indoctrination. Really fucking good. It is quite gory. The ending drops it a point. (Its the very very ending though)

99 problems and being ginger is one

• khaz 28 May 2013 02:31:22 2,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MysteryLamb wrote:
    Battle: Los Angeles 6/10

Cool Runnings 6/10
    Gtfo

Edited by khaz at 02:32:08 28-05-2013
  • Telepathic.Geometry 28 May 2013 03:44:42 11,262 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Great and Powerful Oz - 6/10. Nothing amazing about it, and nothing terrible either really. It was a very meh movie. I think that Franco just doesn't have the presence to make it work. The other characters were forgettable too. Maybe kids might like it...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Nanocrystal 28 May 2013 05:29:59 991 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cube - 9/10
    Hadn't seen this for about ten years. Low budget, sloppy script and dodgy acting aside, it's still a great movie. I refuse to watch the sequels on principle.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 28 May 2013 05:38:11 11,262 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your principles stand you in good stead.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Tonka 28 May 2013 08:09:32 20,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frequency
    An unlikely meteorological event allows a boy (now grown up) to talk to his father 30 years back in time. Together they set out to solve an old murder mystery.

Nice twist on time traveling. Yes, it has some logical fallacies buurt it's rather entertaining. It also taught me to stop think of films made in the year 2000 as "quite recent".

Well worth watching

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• khaz 28 May 2013 08:41:25 2,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really liked Frequency. But a lot of that had to do with that Dennis Quaid is always excellent. In everything.

Also, his Doc Holliday is superior to Val Kilmer's.

Edited by khaz at 08:46:11 28-05-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 28 May 2013 08:53:14 13,188 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iron Man 3 (3D)

Losing its charm, and seemed incoherent in many places. Robot suits getting their rumble on can still be fun to watch, but I checked out of the characters before even halfway through this one. Shame. Much preferred Avengers Assemble, where Iron Man played more of a supporting role.

6/10
  • repairmanjack 28 May 2013 09:26:22 5,987 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I somehow managed to sit through Southland Tales last night. I knew Donnie Darko was a fluke.

What an absolute load of shite.
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2013 09:31:22 43,132 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Bigfoot Tapes. 3/10. Straight up ripoff of Blair Witch but with less tension, less fear, less everything really. There are a few scenes where the characters just talk and nothing happens, and they can pretend as much as they like that it is for character building and depth and empathy and that but it isn't, it's just filler. Slightly neat twist at the end. Sort of.

And what are you left with? Two shots of a CGI black shape with red eyes running. Wooooo, scary.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• glaeken 28 May 2013 09:46:03 11,083 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gangster Squad - 6/10 - Pretty enjoyable though entirely predictable. They got the 40's look down well though and Penn was pretty good as Mickey Cohen.

Jack Reacher - 5/10 - It started well but really ended up going nowhere we have not been before. Interestingly there seemed to be a couple of bits of dialog left in the script that implied Reacher was physically imposing which should probably have been cut out once a midget was cast in the role.

The last stand - 5/10 - It appears Arnie has forgotten what little acting ability he had in the first place and he really is getting too old for this shit. It did have a few over the top entertaining moments though.

Django unchained - 8/10- Thoroughly enjoyable throughout though could have done with a better worked out ending. Django getting caught and escaping to go back again to candy land just did not work that well. The film does take a hit once Waltz is gone as well though I did think Foxx was pretty good as Django.
  • kalel 28 May 2013 10:25:23 86,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    God Bless America

Netflix (US) recommended this to me, and as it was written by Bobcat Goldthwaite who I've always liked I gave it a go without really knowing anything abou it.

And I was very pleasantly surprised. It's a dark comedy - think Falling Down meets Kick Ass - and the script is extremely sharp and funny. A lot of it does feel a bit generic but it kind of knows it as well, often with references to the films it is borrowing from.

Well worth a watch.

8/10
  • HarryPalmer 28 May 2013 10:35:04 3,029 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Django unchained - 8/10- Thoroughly enjoyable throughout though could have done with a better worked out ending. Django getting caught and escaping to go back again to candy land just did not work that well. The film does take a hit once Waltz is gone as well though I did think Foxx was pretty good as Django.
    Definitely agree. The end section seemed an excuse for QT to shoehorn in another lame cameo. Takes the shine off an otherwise glorious film.
  • glaeken 28 May 2013 10:46:35 11,083 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it does feel like it was only there for the QT cameo. Also after what Django had just done the idea they would take him alive seems a little implausible. They needed to work out a way to end it at that point which I am sure they could have done.

Still I did enjoy it overall. It's a fun film that just goes a little off the boil towards the end.
  • repairmanjack 28 May 2013 11:26:14 5,987 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    God Bless America

Netflix (US) recommended this to me, and as it was written by Bobcat Goldthwaite who I've always liked I gave it a go without really knowing anything abou it.

And I was very pleasantly surprised. It's a dark comedy - think Falling Down meets Kick Ass - and the script is extremely sharp and funny. A lot of it does feel a bit generic but it kind of knows it as well, often with references to the films it is borrowing from.

Well worth a watch.

8/10
    If you like BG, have a root around on iTunes (or similar). He has a brilliant stand-up comedy album that he recorded a few years ago.
  • kinky_mong 28 May 2013 11:58:14 9,941 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Raid

Not really a fan of martial arts films so a lot of the "wow" factor of the fight scenes was lost on me. Plot was okay though.

7/10

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• craigy Staff 28 May 2013 12:04:54 7,491 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Contraband: 5/10

• Blaketown 28 May 2013 14:02:27 4,635 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    The Raid

Not really a fan of martial arts films so a lot of the "wow" factor of the fight scenes was lost on me. Plot was okay though.

7/10
    Watched this last night too.

Love martial arts films though so I loved most of the fighting. Got a bit of brutality fatigue towards the end when they double teamed the little bloke and he kept getting back up over & over.

There was literally no plot though.

72%

Brap, brap, old chap.

• glaeken 28 May 2013 14:11:47 11,083 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What do you mean no plot? It was get to the top of the tower and take out some bad guy who had done something or other.
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2013 14:14:05 43,132 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All the best plots can be written in a single sentence where the only conjunction is 'and' ;)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kinky_mong 28 May 2013 14:20:41 9,941 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alright if plot was the wrong word, then I change it to "the premise that framed the film was okay".

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• TechnoHippy 28 May 2013 15:03:06 14,698 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Omen

A good film, although I couldn't but wonder what my old man would have if I'd tried any of that shit with him.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Page

of 2699 First / Last