Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2226

• Page

of 2866 First / Last

• damagedinc 14 May 2013 13:30:39 969 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    After iron man 3 checked out "kiss kiss bang" bang, great fun very watchable and dialogue ia great. Plots a bit nuts but i believe this is the point. Well worth a sunday afternoon watch.

8/10

"I saw devil"

Very intresting revenge film, starts off vey well but the last act is a drag and the whole thing feels a bit pointless and avoidable.

6/10
  • sirtacos 14 May 2013 16:53:14 7,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Life of Pi

Visually spectacular, despite an over-reliance on ropey CGI.
    Aside from some arresting scenes - a lifeboat drifting in an ocean of stars, for example - I thought that the best-looking parts took place in Pondicherry, at the beginning.

(The effects look good, but often lack weight and seem 'wrong'.
    I think they alternated between live action and CG for Richard Parker: at times he is utterly convincing, and yet at others, he looks like he stumbled straight off a Star Wars prequel.
    Also, the whale looked ridiculous).

The novel is immeasurably better, as is often the case. The film lacks dramatic weight and loses a hell of a lot in the translation. Still, it's a good visual representation of the book, and it does retain some of its spirit.

7/10
  • Trowel 14 May 2013 18:35:03 18,072 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Source Code 7/10

Gets itself a bit confused in places, and the whole Source Code project is nothing more than a sloppy fit around the groundhog day aspect, which in itself is incredibly hurried and solved with unsatisfactory speed and convenience. But somehow it holds it together, the characters are unfussy, and the movie doesn't linger for too long, drifting away amicably.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2013 18:58:39
    Les Visiteurs (1993) 8/10

Been meaning to see this for years, and now I have. Jeno Reno is his usual great self. In short, the film see’s a pair of Medieval types transported into the future and encountering stuff they are no used to, telephone’s, cars, toilets, that kind of thing. Their aim, to return home, to the 12th century. What I loved, other than the humour, was the fast pace of the story, which never lingers for long from one scene to the next.

While the image above shows the correct ratio, my DVD cover look's squashed vertically, and the person to the left of the yellow car is missing (out of frame) not to mention image has been flipped. It is the ARROW FILMS release. Also, the film picture is square frame ratio.

Here it is: (ARROW FILMS dvd cover)

Should have gone for the Blu-ray with it's ratio of 2.35:1

Edited by blacksea at 19:18:39 14-05-2013
  • Deleted user 14 May 2013 19:02:36
    blacksea wrote:
    While the image above shows the correct ratio, my DVD cover look's squashed vertically, and the person to the left of the yellow car is missing (out of frame). It is the ARROW FILMS release.
    Thank you for letting us know.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2013 19:14:02
    meme wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    While the image above shows the correct ratio, my DVD cover look's squashed vertically, and the person to the left of the yellow car is missing (out of frame). It is the ARROW FILMS release.
    It makes more sense now. ARROW FILMS simply took the VHS cover and squashed it, fools!
  • Deleted user 14 May 2013 19:27:23
    blacksea wrote:
    meme wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    It makes more sense now. ARROW FILMS simply took the VHS cover and squashed it, fools!
    Do you shove crayons up your nose?
  • DFawkes 14 May 2013 21:26:55 24,093 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Primer

As a simple story about 2 friends making an amazing scientific discovery and how they deal with it, I found it very enjoyable. It felt quite realistic, which is probably what they were going for. The strain on their relationship as they take the discovery to the limit and beyond is really well played out.

There's also time travel but I didn't even attempt to follow it in the last half hour. It's also quite an interesting take on that though, that isn't afraid to leave you to figure it out yourself.

8/10

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• oldschoolsoviet 14 May 2013 22:53:06 5,553 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Starlet - 9/10

Finally, a bloody superb indie amongst the dross !

Tells the tale of a 21yo Valley girl*, and the unlikely friendship she strikes up with an 80something lady, after purchasing a Thermos from her yard sale.

Don't read any more about it, and go in blind like I did and it slowly unravels it's little secrets in magnificent fashion, although as a warning for some it is extremely slow and languishing in pace. It takes it's time, but all the better for it imo, some truly great moments and scenes.

*(Ernest Hemingway's great-grand daughter !)
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 07:35:43
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    meme wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    Do you shove crayons up your nose?
    No, do you ?
  • khaz 15 May 2013 12:48:32 2,826 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Les Visiteurs (1993) 8/10

Love this film. :)
  • Blaketown 15 May 2013 13:00:39 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But what are your opinions on the cover?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• pauleyc 15 May 2013 13:01:49 4,542 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Primer

As a simple story about 2 friends making an amazing scientific discovery and how they deal with it, I found it very enjoyable. It felt quite realistic, which is probably what they were going for. The strain on their relationship as they take the discovery to the limit and beyond is really well played out.

There's also time travel but I didn't even attempt to follow it in the last half hour. It's also quite an interesting take on that though, that isn't afraid to leave you to figure it out yourself.

8/10
    That's the best Primer review I've seen. Even better than the xkcd timeline.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 15:42:29
    Good Day To Die Hard - went in with low expectations, wasn't really disappointed. Not quite as terrible as I'd been lead to believe, but still not anywhere near good.

It also suffers from the Dark Knight syndrome of everything happening with perfect timing despite the utter randomness of the whole thing. Such as when the guy is killed in the sauna. How did they time it so that phonecall A) happened when he was there and B) at the exact moment he was getting a massage?

In fact, the entire plot basically makes no sense. There are so many double and triple-crosses (which, ironically, are predictable as they come) it makes you wonder why they bothered going through the whole charade in the first place.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it. Which probably means this isn't a film you should be thinking about. Which also means I dislike it more anyway.
  • mikeck 15 May 2013 15:57:59 1,936 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @meme Not only did you not post a review of the film cover (or poster in this case) but you also posted spoilers. Shame on you. Shame on you

;)
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 16:00:30
    I did consider spoiler tags, but the plot is so wafer thin it doesn't even really matter. It would be like spoiling the ingredients list on a packet of crisps.
  • mikeck 15 May 2013 16:03:08 1,936 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :p
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 17:09:00
    Blowout rules.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 18:18:27
    The Big White (2005) 8/10

Not a classic, but entertaining all the same. Funny at times, slightly morbid at others. I’ve always found Robin William’s odd. The appearance of Woody Harrelson really livens things up. Towards the end of the story, when the loose ends are tied, one of the characters is shot dead, the film then proceeds with the remainder of the characters continuing on their merry way, complete with the type of music that might suit Trigger Happy TV. Odd.

Edited by blacksea at 22:00:26 16-05-2013
  • TOOTR 15 May 2013 18:57:25 9,652 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok I can't resist. About to watch Hansel & Gretel. I know it's supposed to be absolute shite (in a pre-boil bag).

But I just fancy it.

Keeping my expectations low.

Going in!

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• BinaryBob101 15 May 2013 19:14:53 24,449 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I quite fancy it too. Think it may be a guilty pleasure flick.

Why does blacksea keep posting posters?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 15 May 2013 19:16:02
    It's surprisingly gory, though that's about all I can remember about it. It's a good background film.
  • Dougs 15 May 2013 19:33:50 69,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    After iron man 3 checked out "kiss kiss bang" bang, great fun very watchable and dialogue ia great. Plots a bit nuts but i believe this is the point. Well worth a sunday afternoon watch.

8/10
    One of my favourite films of the last few years. Great script and performances. Took me by surprise too, which is always good.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 19:35:48
    i loved KKBB the first time i watched it, second time i turned it off half way through, really irritated me.

Might give it anohter chance in the week. Been a while since i lasted watched it.
  • beastmaster 15 May 2013 19:41:23 12,008 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anything with Gemma Arterton is worth a watch, at least once. Alice Creed is about the best thing she's done. She has nice boobies too. HATED Tamara Drew :(

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Bremenacht 15 May 2013 19:41:33 19,665 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Ok I can't resist. About to watch Hansel & Gretel. I know it's supposed to be absolute shite (in a pre-boil bag).

But I just fancy it.
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    I quite fancy it too. Think it may be a guilty pleasure flick.
    Nothing to do with Arterton in a tight bodice then. Oh no.
  • Page

of 2866 First / Last