Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2223

• Page

of 2774 First / Last

• Madder-Max 11 May 2013 09:49:26 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet u r so wrong about killing them softly. Liotta is not in it that much and when he is he is great. The ending is a bit shit though.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• KennyPowers 11 May 2013 09:58:29 94 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Bay 2012

From Lionsgate, who make all the 'scary' films. But this wasn't scary :(

shit/10
  • Madder-Max 11 May 2013 10:04:20 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The ruins - 7/10 competent by the numbers horror thing with a nice concept. A lot more could have been expanded upon in the relationship between the captors and captives and the gradual realisationa nd acceptance of the situation. Its okay though and predictable. None of the characters are likeable.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• oldschoolsoviet 11 May 2013 10:14:02 5,488 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Madder-Max

Opinions can be wrong, huh ? Hasn't this been discussed to death enough times ?

As for Liotta, he's been in practically every film I've watched recently, even in stuff where I wasn't expecting him to star. So much so, I'm beginning to believe I've murdered him, and that they are guilty-conscience produced hallucinations. If I haven't, it's certainly coming, just sick of the sight of him being the same typecast caricature.......
  • Deckard1 11 May 2013 11:07:42 28,262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    rhubarbandcustard wrote:
    Like many people I guess, i finally saw Prometheus yesterday via Sky Premiere.

I knew in advance it was not an action flick like the previous Alien movies, and that it had divided opinion of fans of the series....

Whit?
  • L0cky 11 May 2013 11:19:16 1,532 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killing Them Softly

Can't decide/10

The acting and direction is pitch perfect for the limitations of what it is, but there is absolutely no story arc or character progression at all. If this movie was a roller-coaster it'd be the 2.15 from Waterloo to Windsor.

At the end, the analogy it's making seems at first to be as ham-fisted and obvious as the Bush/Obama speeches that run through the entire film about handing the country to the banks.

But then when you think it over you realise that every scene and line of dialogue contributes to this single idea (the analogy that corporations are 'gently' killing countries for profit without taking any responsibility for the human consequences); there isn't an ounce of filler. This makes it seem masterfully crafted - even if it's not that ambitious.

tl;dr

The special fx were cool/10.
  • TarickStonefire 11 May 2013 11:28:47 3,133 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rhubarbandcustard wrote:

I knew in advance it was not an action flick like the previous Alien movies, and that it had divided opinion of fans of the series. But I loved it.

Gorgeous to look at, great cast, excellent pacing and with Ridley Scott at the helm you wouldn't really have expected anything less.

9 out of 10
    I liked it, and would give it a highish score, but the pacing was embarrassingly mis-judged, the cast was terribly unbalanced (who the fuck was that Scottish woman that wandered on set, and why did they give her lines to read?), and with Ridley Scott at the helm I indeed did not expect less, but did expect a hell of a lot more.

But it looked great and at the end of the day it was a fun film about the whole Alien thing so I look past the obvious fuckups.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 11:29:35 11-05-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Deleted user 11 May 2013 14:52:05
    Star Trek into darkness 6/10

Fine as a standalone action film just none of the characters are worth caring about and relies too much on the 'twist' they've been trying to hide for so long.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2013 14:53:38
    Deckard1 wrote:
    rhubarbandcustard wrote:

I knew in advance it was not an action flick like the previous Alien movies, and that it had divided opinion of fans of the series....

Whit?
    Alien had a gun in it. ACTION FILM.
  • TechnoHippy 11 May 2013 17:01:14 14,718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hang em High

Far from the best of Clint's Westerns, but still a damn fine watch.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 11 May 2013 18:35:11
    Man of Steel tonight cant fucking wait.

Hope im not disappointed.
  • TOOTR 11 May 2013 18:40:58 9,589 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The place beyond the pines

76%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• lavalant 11 May 2013 21:43:01 1,328 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Leviathan (1989 film)

I enjoyed it, and if the thought of The Abyss, The Thing, Alien, all rolled into one low budget film with laughable effect, ham actors sounds your thing then give it a watch.

But honestly I liked it, and if you've an urge for the above films (trapped in X place with Z scary thing) then this one is worth it, and you probably did miss it at the time. And Ernie Hudsons' response to "I'm sorry for the hell you went through" mad me LOL

6/10
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 May 2013 21:50:05 25,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Amazing Spider Man - 7.5/10

Thought that was pretty cool actually.
  • tuff 11 May 2013 22:45:45 625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Parker

Would have preferred no J-Lo which would have resulted in half hour less of film and more standard Stath action.
  • MrE26 11 May 2013 23:43:43 1,934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iron Man 3 - 8/10

Best of the 3 for me. Nice end to the trilogy if they're stopping the standalone films.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - 8/10

Never was a huge Trek fan growing up, but i enjoyed the first film & fucking loved this. Knew little about it going in, aside from seeing a solitary trailer a week ago, & i probably enjoyed it more going in completely cold.

Benedict Cumberbatch makes up for having a comically bad name by having a voice that's cooler than fuck. He could narrate my murder & i'd watch it.
  • captainrentboy 12 May 2013 00:21:33 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Man of Steel tonight cant fucking wait.

Hope im not disappointed.
    Lucky bastard, God damn I hope it's good.
    No spoilers in your review please!
  • Jacksie66 12 May 2013 00:30:42 574 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Star trek into darkness. 4/10

Am I the only one who thought it was shit...
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 01:15:15
    Man of Steel 9/10

Small rant: Must confess my enjoyment of this was marred by some stupid woman sat next to me making notes on her ipad throughout the film.

But (spoiler free)

EPIC!!!!!!!

I'm not really a big superman fan. I caught the last one on DVD.

But found this to be brilliant.

Cast from top to bottom is nigh on perfect. Superman Returns was badly cast but not this one. Liked the realistic treatment of superman as an Alien with fear suspicion etc.

Synder for me is all style no substance but here he's patient and ramps it up when he should. The final battle was quite Avengers-esque though.

Big shout out to Cavill though who is brilliant. Kudos to Costner, Lane and Shannon too.

This and Pacific Rim are the films of the summer so far.

CONS:

I never ever want to see the superman orgin story done ever again, bloody sick of it.

Some scenes where the physics/weight seemed a bit off. Namely parts of the climatic battle and the A10-Warthog sequence

Subnote: The Mrs has also watched After Earth the new Will/Jaden Smith sci-fi today and said it was pretty good.
  • beastmaster 12 May 2013 01:20:16 11,450 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's excellent news. Looking forward to seeing this.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• captainrentboy 12 May 2013 01:34:00 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's great to hear, if someone who's not a Superman fan is giving it 9/10, it should hopefully blow my sad geeky mind!!
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 01:38:56
    MrE26 wrote:
    Iron Man 3 - 8/10

Best of the 3 for me. Nice end to the trilogy if they're stopping the standalone films.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - 8/10

Never was a huge Trek fan growing up, but i enjoyed the first film & fucking loved this. Knew little about it going in, aside from seeing a solitary trailer a week ago, & i probably enjoyed it more going in completely cold.

Benedict Cumberbatch makes up for having a comically bad name by having a voice that's cooler than fuck. He could narrate my murder & i'd watch it.
    His voice is awesome watch War Horse as well his voice is epic in that as well LOL
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 03:21:53
    Currently nearing the end through Aftershock, which is a crappy horror/disaster movie stuck somewhere between Indie and Commercial. It follows the usual template of "Americans go somewhere foreign and tragedy strikes, loyalties are tested, lessons are learned, etc etc etc". Only it takes so fucking long to get going it's just tedious instead. Only an hour and a half long, yet the actual earthquake doesn't happen until a good forty minutes in.

Edited by meme at 03:22:16 12-05-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 12 May 2013 08:00:01 5,219 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Man of Steel 9/10

Small rant: Must confess my enjoyment of this was marred by some stupid woman sat next to me making notes on her ipad throughout the film.
    Is that even allowed?

... you should have politely told her to turn the blooming thing off!

I am super glad you think Pacific Rim and Superman are AMAZING though.

: )

p.s. Could your missus kindly pass on her thoughts about 'After Earth' please?
  • captainrentboy 12 May 2013 08:27:17 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is slightly shocking to think that Shyamalan might have actually made another decent film. The trailers for it look ok, but big Will's son winds me up. :/
    Quick question for espibara, then I'll shut up about Superman, how is Michael Shannon as Zod? Are his villainous antics up there with Ledger, or more like what's his face out of Fantastic Four?
  • Mola_Ram 12 May 2013 08:31:43 7,447 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The trailer looked alright, but Shyamalan has made so many stinkers that I just don't trust it.
  • L0cky 12 May 2013 09:42:13 1,532 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Man of Steel 9/10

You could have told her to leave it at home :p
  • Jmek 12 May 2013 10:18:49 1,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Star Trek Into Darkness - 40%

I was so looking forward to this. I love Trek and really dug the last film, and was pretty convinced this was going to be my film of the year. Sadly this turned out to be far from the case. After a really strong opening the movie devolves into a bizarre Frankenstein's monster of other better films that tries to speed along so you won't see the stitches. Apart from Kirk & Spock all the other character's are one note & sidelined. Bones is grumpy, Scotty's er a scot,and so on. Cumberbatch though is an awesome presence especially given what little he's actually given to work with. Scenes and dialogue are literally lifted from other Trek movies and in one instance Blade Runner! The thing is if this "'aint your daddy's Star Trek", go with it make your own voice. This hybrid isn't working for me. Trek was about the character's, exploration, the human condition and so much more. This is all about blowing shit up and looking really purdy whilst you do so.
  • Page

of 2774 First / Last