Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In Bruges. 9/10
  • Steve_Perry 4 May 2013 15:26:15 3,652 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    In Bruges. 9/10
    Recently watched 7 psychopaths and it doesn't hold a candle to this. Brilliant film.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Maturin 4 May 2013 15:49:20 2,892 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jack Reacher 7/10

Finally got around to watching this. Was initially interesting during the making as I like the books and Tom Cruise is usually pretty good. But the reviews around the release put me off. But finally watched it thanks to having plenty of spare points on my XBL account.

I rather enjoyed it. Cruise was good, the film stayed pretty close to the source material and it avoided some of the cliches I thought it might fall into. Not a brilliant film by any stretch, but I certainly enjoyed it while it was on.
  • TechnoHippy 4 May 2013 16:19:58 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Ten Commandments

An epic film of an epic story. Charlton Heston plays a good Gandalf.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 4 May 2013 20:44:39 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Crow

Just as much fun as I remember it. An excellent action and revenge flick.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 20:57:59
    @TechnoHippy

Simply amazing film.

Simply amazing soundtrack too.
  • kentmonkey 4 May 2013 22:11:09 20,454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dredd 6/10

Entertaining enough but nothing more and don't think it would hold up well to a second viewing. Would have liked to have seen a sequel with more budget but that might be unlikely to happen.

The actress that plays Cercei or however you spell that name, was good as Ma Ma.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:15:58 04-05-2013
  • Load_2.0 4 May 2013 22:11:38 18,949 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love that soundtrack.
  • HarryPalmer 4 May 2013 22:32:48 3,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Cabin in the Woods - 9/10

Damn Joss Whedon can write, how he managed to turn this idea into a feaeture film I have no idea. It's clever, funny, tense and super entertaining.

I was put off watching it by some sniffy reviews on here, saying it's not scary, or as clever as it thinks it is. But fuck that, I must have said "this is amazing" out loud about 10 times.
  • Blaketown 4 May 2013 22:59:51 4,636 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    **sniffs**

Brap, brap, old chap.

• mrpon 4 May 2013 23:08:13 28,495 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You didn't get it.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• evild_edd 4 May 2013 23:08:14 3,018 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'The Place Beyond The Pines'...

More like 'a film beyond my patience'. I'm all for a good character drama but that was ponderous and disjointed. One of those cinema experiences where the whole audience seemed disinterested - some girl a few seats away resorted to taking photos (with flash!) of her feet to stave off the boredom. 2hrs 20odd minutes of my life lost.

Also, the whole Ray Liotta section felt unnecessary.

P.S. Ryan Gosling's 'staring blankly and not talking' thing is becoming a deal breaker for me.

4/10 (the acting was solid, RG aside)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• beastmaster 4 May 2013 23:37:50 11,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lots of negativity for Pines. I've not seen it yet though but I may just wait till this comes out on DVD/BR or streaming.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• SYS64738 4 May 2013 23:43:48 1,597 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Dredd 6/10

Entertaining enough but nothing more and don't think it would hold up well to a second viewing. Would have liked to have seen a sequel with more budget but that might be unlikely to happen.

The actress that plays Cercei or however you spell that name, was good as Ma Ma.
    Actually watched this on Bluray last night. Watched the 3D version in the cinema and was wow'ed by it, guess I didn't really expect much. Back then rated it 9/10 (the 3D was excellent IMO) but would probably have to lower it to 8/10 now.

What I found a bit weird with the Bluray is that the image quality, while top notch for 95% of the film, was very grainy and low res in a handful of shots. As if they forgot to switch the HD button on for those...
  • kentmonkey 4 May 2013 23:50:54 20,454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was for really dark shots yeah. Really poor quality with lots of artifacts and purple blacks.

Also the 4 Judge bikes towards the end was terrible CGI.
  • Khanivor 5 May 2013 00:55:00 40,403 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think In Bruges has just about the best dialogue of any film bar The Big Lebowski.
  • Chopsen 5 May 2013 01:22:00 15,740 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:

Damn Joss Whedon can write, how he managed to turn this idea into a feaeture film I have no idea. It's clever, funny, tense and super entertaining.

I was put off watching it by some sniffy reviews on here, saying it's not scary, or as clever as it thinks it is. But fuck that, I must have said "this is amazing" out loud about 10 times.
    Most of the criticism of it is about how it doesn't confirm to preconceptions. It's not scary enough, the "twist" was obvious, it's not clever enough etc. People wanted something they'd built it up to be, but watching it away from the hype helps I think. It's just a really witty bit off silliness that ends with the extinction of humanity, what's not to like?
  • mal 5 May 2013 01:37:33 22,341 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    P.S. Ryan Gosling's 'staring blankly and not talking' thing is becoming a deal breaker for me.
    This. I must've watched Drive three times now just to try to work out what you people see in it, but I just can't. I think I'm okay with that though. Just as long as you lot mention if any future films have got starey Ryan Gosling in, that'd be good, ta.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Chopsen 5 May 2013 01:46:35 15,740 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 times? I sometimes don't watch something all the way through once if I don't like it.

It's entirely down to style, I think really, which probably means it'll date badly. It's going to be one of those films that loads of older people are going to go on about years from now and young people are either going to just not get it or pretend they do to seem to have some kind of integrity. Like Star Wars.
  • sirtacos 5 May 2013 02:10:37 7,271 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Taken

Edited by sirtacos at 03:06:28 05-05-2013
  • Lotos8ter 5 May 2013 07:45:57 2,353 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @beastmaster - I thought it was awesome and was lucky that the screening I went to in Cambridge had an equally respectful and interested audience. Its certainly a slow film and the long, languid takes allow the characters to breathe.

People who spoil others enjoyment should be kicked out straight away. Cinemas should police these things better.

Edited by Lotos8ter at 07:47:20 05-05-2013

Fiat Lux

• Deleted user 5 May 2013 08:53:50
    Khanivor wrote:
    I think In Bruges has just about the best dialogue of any film bar The Big Lebowski.
    This.

Life of pi.

Hard one to score as I enjoyed the beginning then the middle really dragged.
    The final third picked up and the ending was fantastic, truly wonderful and gave me something to really think about.

• Blaketown 5 May 2013 09:12:57 4,636 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:

Most of the criticism of it is about how it doesn't confirm to preconceptions. It's not scary enough, the "twist" was obvious, it's not clever enough etc. People wanted something they'd built it up to be, but watching it away from the hype helps I think. It's just a really witty bit off silliness that ends with the extinction of humanity, what's not to like?
    Not sure it's preconceptions.

The film spends it's entire running length making reference to horror movies. To then not be scary has to be a fundamental failing of the film.

It's fine but given there are loads of films that have done the exact same thing (clever concept, sharp script, deconstruct a genre), AND delivered on the scares better and been funnier, it has to be marked down.

Edited by Blaketown at 09:16:15 05-05-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• CharlieStCloud 5 May 2013 09:15:31 5,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Life of Pi.

Hard one to score as I enjoyed the beginning then the middle really dragged.

The final third picked up and the ending was fantastic, truly wonderful and gave me something to really think about.

The book is sssoooooo much better.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 May 2013 09:20:52 14,438 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Shadows. I enjoyed, although I'm not too sure what it was supposed to be, comic horror?
    The story was weak, but johnny Depp is always worth watching, good soundtrack. There are not many better songs than nights in white satin. :-)

80%

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:43:37 05-05-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• tuff 5 May 2013 09:29:53 622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jack Reacher
    79%

Enjoyable.
  • jagg3r 5 May 2013 09:42:22 1,029 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    'The Place Beyond The Pines'...

More like 'a film beyond my patience'. I'm all for a good character drama but that was ponderous and disjointed. One of those cinema experiences where the whole audience seemed disinterested - some girl a few seats away resorted to taking photos (with flash!) of her feet to stave off the boredom. 2hrs 20odd minutes of my life lost.

Also, the whole Ray Liotta section felt unnecessary.

4/10 (the acting was solid, RG aside)
    I don't mind a slow film but this felt like the longest waste of my time ever.I've never been so uncomfortable sitting in the cinema. Save your money and if you really want to put yourself through this, rent.

4/10

Oblivion

Another slowish film but i really enjoyed this.Loved the whole look and style.The story is very simialar to Moon,starring Sam Rockwell.

8/10 what big screens where made for.

Edited by jagg3r at 10:05:18 05-05-2013
  • Jmek 5 May 2013 10:25:10 1,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Evil Dead 2013 - 60%

Soulless remake of the Raimi classic. Jane Levy's fantastic as Mia but the rest of the cast are too bland to make you care. It lacks the ferocious vitality of the original. Even though it's very well shot & gory as hell, it's just not scary in the slightest.
  • Scurrminator 5 May 2013 11:26:34 8,387 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Last Stand

7/10
    Fairly predictable but it passed the the two hours just fine and I enjoyed it for what it was. All quite low key to be honest though; most of the good stuff was in the trailers.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Page

of 2712 First / Last