Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2209

• Page

of 2871 First / Last

• Deleted user 28 April 2013 18:52:16
    The Long Good Friday (1980) 9/10

Sure it is old’ish, and the picture quality and audio reflects this. The 80’s cars, and electronic equipment etc are always interesting. Bob Hoskin’s is what makes The Long Good Friday worth while, as he is terrific. Not once during the 109min runtime was I bored, which is a rare thing these days, compared to many film’s I’ve checked out lately.
  • azurelas_2 28 Apr 2013 23:26:35 1,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iron Man III.

shit/100. What a waste of time and money.
  • DFawkes 29 Apr 2013 00:04:10 24,098 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    May I ask what it was that you didn't like? The story, perhaps? Did the actors not performs well? Were the effects ropey? Was the pacing off with too many sections containing nothing happening?

I've not seen it yet and I'm just curious why you feel that way :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Khanivor 29 Apr 2013 01:14:01 41,297 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Croods - 8/10

A very pleasant surprise. I'd written this off from underwhelming trailers and the whole 'family learns to grow together' aspect. But when I took the 11 year old to see it I realised I was wrong. OK, the family angle is present and predictable, but what family animation isn't? It's the journey that counts and this one is a real joy to behold.

The world is incredibly inventive and not at all what you would expect. The animation brings character while the colours and designs bring life. There are lots of simple laughs for younger folks but there's a subversive and wicked sense of humour there for the adults.

Give this one a chance and it will probably also find you leaving satisfied and uplifted. It will certainly stand many repeat viewings and will surely make its way into the collection of many stoners and trippers.
  • dr_swin 29 Apr 2013 08:19:14 4,915 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beasts of the Southern Wild

I was really looking forward to this. The visual style and soundtrack looked superb on the trailer. Unfortunately it was just a bit dull. It lacked a strong narrative over and beyond the obvious difficulties of the young girl trying to survive in such challenging conditions.

Iron Man 3
    Really enjoyed it. So did the kids.

• Deleted user 29 April 2013 09:08:19
    Dredd

First ten minutes or so was really ropey and I thought it was going to be a stinker, but then once it got to the main meat of the film it suddenly became quite classy and I really enjoyed it. It is unfortunately similar to The Raid and you can't help but compare them, but the "Dreddness" of it all keeps it going.

I worry a sequel is going to be more sprawling in plot and location as I think it would be worse for it. The tightness of this is what gives it tension and momentum. I'll be interested to see it though.

8/10

End of Watch

Was quite disappointed to be honest. Had heard good things but it was very predictable and cliched (literally every single character was a cookie-cutter stereotype), and it couldn't decide whether it was 'found footage' or not and nonsensically switched cameras all the tim, giving me a headache. Its saving grace was some quality performances from the two leads but everyone else was a joke, especially the "baddies" who made me cringe. And there was no pathos in where the film ended up as I could see it coming from literally the first minute, and so I didn't give a shit - oh look, an ethnic minority partner with a young family, you are absolutely definitely going to die at the end.

Really very poor overall imo.

4/10
  • craigy Staff 29 Apr 2013 09:08:56 7,851 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iron Man 3: 7/10
    It's the third-best Iron Man movie, but it's hilarious in places.

Julie & Julia: 6/10
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 09:17:41 61,349 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I worry a sequel is going to be more sprawling in plot and location as I think it would be worse for it. The tightness of this is what gives it tension and momentum. I'll be interested to see it though.
    It tanked in an almost unbelievable way in the US, so there wont be a sequel, annoyingly.

The general theory is the US dont know what Dredd is and thought it was a sequel to the stallone movie.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 29 April 2013 09:30:04
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It tanked in an almost unbelievable way in the US, so there wont be a sequel, annoyingly.

The general theory is the US dont know what Dredd is and thought it was a sequel to the stallone movie.
    Might be for the best tbh,
  • Blaketown 29 Apr 2013 09:45:49 4,955 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cabin In The Woods 72%
    First time I've watched it since I saw it at the cinema. I was wondering if my opinion was going to improve now I knew what to expect. The answer is maybe a little.
    There's a lot to like. It's funny in that familiar Joss Whedon way.
    I know it's not scary on purpose, the way the the scares are constantly undercut by cutting away to the office is quite funny, but I still feel if you are going to deconstruct horror films, you should have the common decency to be scary.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Trane 29 Apr 2013 09:48:27 4,059 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iron Man 3 - 8/10.

Trumped the second film for me, didn't reach the heights of the first, though.

Edited by Trane at 09:48:37 29-04-2013
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 09:53:09
    Blaketown wrote:
    Cabin In The Woods 72%
    First time I've watched it since I saw it at the cinema. I was wondering if my opinion was going to improve now I knew what to expect. The answer is maybe a little.
    There's a lot to like. It's funny in that familiar Joss Whedon way.
    I know it's not scary on purpose, the way the the scares are constantly undercut by cutting away to the office is quite funny, but I still feel if you are going to deconstruct horror films, you should have the common decency to be scary.
    It's a slightly flawed concept in that it's a good scary film for people that don't like scary films, although to truly appreciate its nuances you have to have seen a great deal of scary films.

Maybe it's actually supposed to be a good not-scary film for people who like scary films...

I like it a lot but I think Tucker and Dale does a better job of deconstructing the genre while still being scary and gory. It's also probably funnier if not as clever.

And of course, American Werewolf will always win this particular competition.
  • RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 09:53:21 24,298 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    The Croods - 8/10

A very pleasant surprise. I'd written this off from underwhelming trailers and the whole 'family learns to grow together' aspect. But when I took the 11 year old to see it I realised I was wrong. OK, the family angle is present and predictable, but what family animation isn't? It's the journey that counts and this one is a real joy to behold.

The world is incredibly inventive and not at all what you would expect. The animation brings character while the colours and designs bring life. There are lots of simple laughs for younger folks but there's a subversive and wicked sense of humour there for the adults.

Give this one a chance and it will probably also find you leaving satisfied and uplifted. It will certainly stand many repeat viewings and will surely make its way into the collection of many stoners and trippers.
    Marketing really needs to up its game: this film looks totally shite from all the adverts I've seen.

Similarly, I actually read a synopsis of Love and other Drugs the other day, and was astonished to discover it wasn't the straight up rom-com the ads had portrayed.

Okay, not astonished, but still. And I know I'm not the target audience, bla bla bla.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Apr 2013 10:03:20 44,966 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Resident Evil. 3/10. Who thought it would be a good idea to take a game franchise which was pretty clunky from a plot POV in the first place, retain only the worst parts (such as the ridiculous names) and jumble together a poorly edited, poorly paced, budget shlock horror mess from the remains? The script is as generic as it gets and that's the best thing about the film. Michelle Rodriguez sulks and sasses about, James Salmon brings a laughable voiceand nothing else, and the remaining generic people exist only to die. Waste of time.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse. 5/10. CGI got better but it still plays out like a 13 year old's fan fiction wet dream. Who decided the script should have:

[JILL VALENTINE enters the police station. She is wearing a CORSET and has MASSIVE BOOBS and a GUN. She immediately shoots five people in the head and this is SO COOL.]

or

[JILL VALENTINE and her BOOBS are in a CHURCH surrounded by CGI BULLSHIT. She is about to die when MILLA JOVOVICH drives through the stained glass window above the altar on a HARLEY DAVIDSON. She then proceeds to kill all the monsters, including blowing the bike up in mid air as it crashes into one of them in a way which makes Die Hard 4 look reasonable, and this is SO COOL.]

Just as poorly written, directed and edited as the first but gets extra points for Moriarty being in it, bringing the total number of good actors in the franchise to 1.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TheSaint 29 Apr 2013 10:18:56 14,833 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    End of Watch

Was quite disappointed to be honest. Had heard good things but it was very predictable and cliched (literally every single character was a cookie-cutter stereotype), and it couldn't decide whether it was 'found footage' or not and nonsensically switched cameras all the tim, giving me a headache. Its saving grace was some quality performances from the two leads but everyone else was a joke, especially the "baddies" who made me cringe. And there was no pathos in where the film ended up as I could see it coming from literally the first minute, and so I didn't give a shit - oh look, an ethnic minority partner with a young family, you are absolutely definitely going to die at the end.

Really very poor overall imo.

4/10
    I thought the script was great for this and I would have happily just watched the two of them driving round talking and taking down perps for two hours. The story just seemed a bit tacked on and unrealistic and as you say fairly predictable.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 10:49:57
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:

A sequel with the Dark Judges would have been epic as well, and it could have retained the dark claustrophobic feel of the first one. I loved Urban in the role.
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Apr 2013 11:16:27 9,697 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ironman 3 - 7/10

Possibly the weakest of the three for me but still enjoyable. I like that the humour you'd expect was still there and the visuals were great but I wish the story was more interesting.
    Worth a watch if you liked the last two.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Apr 2013 11:18:03 44,966 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    the "Dreddness" of it all keeps it going.
    Does the best job of understanding the point of a comic book character since Batman Begins.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spindle9988 29 Apr 2013 11:24:44 3,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jennifers Body 6.5/10

Actually a bit better then I thought it would be. Megan Fox was quite scary in it as well
  • Dolly 29 Apr 2013 12:03:07 3,270 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would happily chip in for a Dredd sequel kickstarter, makes me a very sad panda that it's not gonna happen :(
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:05:24
    Dredd was fairly low budget and I imagine will do pretty well from DVD sales and such. I'm fairly surprised it hasn't justified a sequel.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:06:34
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    the "Dreddness" of it all keeps it going.
    Does the best job of understanding the point of a comic book character since Batman Begins.
    Sort of, although it was a little too po-faced. Dredd is supposed to be satire.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:08:26
    America had no interest in it, lots thought it was either a sequel to Stallone's or they were upset it wasn't a sequel to it (the strange people that thought that one was good).

I don't know what they did with promotion over there but clearly didn't do it well.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:08:47
    dr_swin wrote:
    Beasts of the Southern Wild

I was really looking forward to this. The visual style and soundtrack looked superb on the trailer. Unfortunately it was just a bit dull. It lacked a strong narrative over and beyond the obvious difficulties of the young girl trying to survive in such challenging conditions.

I loved Beasts of the Southern Wild and thought the young girl's performance was astonishing.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:10:06

Edited by kalel at 12:10:20 29-04-2013
  • b0rk 29 Apr 2013 12:11:20 2,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ?
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 12:11:50 61,349 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It did pretty well on DVD/BR but the fact that the yanks showed absolutely zero interest in it pretty much sealed its fate.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Page

of 2871 First / Last