Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2207

• Page

of 2745 First / Last

• LionheartDJH 25 Apr 2013 22:12:15 19,376 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A Dry White Season - 8/10

Donald Sutherland fights Apartheid. Pretty emotional film about the fight for justice against overwhelming odds. The courtroom scene is a particular highlight. Great perfomance from Jurgen Prochnow as the police captain too. Worth a watch!

Edited by LionheartDJH at 22:12:55 25-04-2013

She dives for cheese pasties

• kentmonkey 25 Apr 2013 22:28:21 20,541 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Arrietty

Really enjoyed this. Far better than most animated movies and, for once, the English voiceover work wasn't horrible. I've only watched a few Studio Ghibli films but gave up on the English voiceovers after about the third one I watched as they were poorly voiced and it was better to have the Japanese subs. However Film 4 advertised this incorrectly, so I got the English voiceover instead. Good mistake though as, other than a disappointing performance from Mark Strong, the voiceover work was great (especially the woman out of Broadchurch who plays the part of the mother, I forget her name.

Anyway, great animation, very enjoyable movie and a solid nine all the way up to the ending where...it didn't so much end as just stop. It was really the only blight on an otherwise excellent movie.

Probably just pips Princess Mononoke as my favourite Ghibli move thus far.

8/10
  • khaz 25 Apr 2013 23:42:01 2,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    :D I may force myself to watch one, turned off halfway through the first and haven't looked at them since.
    Sixth one out soon. But the fifth one is an excellent piece of entertainment.
  • Bremenacht 26 Apr 2013 00:06:16 17,701 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    That was then. This is now.

Just see it and make up your own minds.
    That's fair enough. How does it compare to The Avengers in terms of living up to hype? Not that I've seen much hype for it - I've been 100% expecting a dud and ignoring it. Thought IM2 was actually worse than Fantastic 4:SS.
  • captainrentboy 26 Apr 2013 00:26:47 976 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iron Man 3- 90%
    Honestly enjoyed it more than The Avengers, it helps that this doesn't have a 40 minute section where fuck all really happens. Great story, very well shot and exciting action sequences, and some nifty twists and turns that I'm surprised they've managed to keep under wraps for this long, especially with their 107 different adverts and TV spots.
    Definitely worth a watch on the big screen.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Apr 2013 04:55:41 7,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dead Ball - holy fuck what did I just watch this is the best thing ever / 10

A Japanese boy kills his grandfather by pitching a baseball really, really fast into his face and exploding him. Because of this terrible accident, he vows to NEVER PLAY BASEBALL AGAIN.

Except of course he is forced to by evil forces who will kill his friends if he doesn't join the local team. There are assorted plots involving nazis, robots, nazi robots, deadly schoolgirls, and magical cigarettes.

It might seem like I'm spoiling the plot, but the plot doesn't really matter anyway. It's the funniest, most bonkers movie I've seen in ages. Sort of in the same vein as RoboGeisha. But I liked this a lot more than RoboGeisha.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2013 07:22:54
    The Fountain (2006) 3/10

Credit where credit is due, the Dvd cover looks interesting, which is more than can be said about the film. Special FX are good. Budget appears to be reasonably high. I didn’t think much about Hugh Jackman, although Rachel Weisz played her part well. The story is difficult to explain, it contains parallel stories, which to be honest failed to hold my attention. All in all, really boring stuff.

Edited by blacksea at 07:23:36 26-04-2013
  • Blaketown 26 Apr 2013 07:28:21 4,645 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely loved The Fountain.

It does seem to be the film of his that comes in for the most stick though.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Lotos8ter 26 Apr 2013 07:43:01 2,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was none the wiser after The Fountain finished than I was at the start. Thought it would be stonking but it was nae.

Fiat Lux

• Blaketown 26 Apr 2013 07:45:52 4,645 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Admittedly I haven't rewatched it since but it seemed to make perfect sense at the time.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• beastmaster 26 Apr 2013 08:36:02 11,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    That was then. This is now.

Just see it and make up your own minds.
    That's fair enough. How does it compare to The Avengers in terms of living up to hype? Not that I've seen much hype for it - I've been 100% expecting a dud and ignoring it. Thought IM2 was actually worse than Fantastic 4:SS.
    captainrentboy has answered your question. It does take a few risks here and there but that's what made it a better film for me.

Edit: The Fountain. Rachel Weisz with long hair > Rachel Weisz with short hair

Edited by beastmaster at 08:38:10 26-04-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• evild_edd 26 Apr 2013 08:57:25 3,057 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also enjoyed The Fountain - remember finding it beautiful, unique and interesting. I would like to see it again, actually.

Heartened by the IM3 reviews. Only one problem: I may have to force myself through seeing IM2 before watching 3. I'd avoided it due to the reviews and feedback, but must say that my Marvel faith was restored with Avengers.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• binky Moderator 26 Apr 2013 09:19:25 9,561 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram That sounds.......... AAWWEESSOOMMEE!!
  • nickthegun 26 Apr 2013 09:23:30 59,366 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not as good as it sounds. Well, it is.. its weird.. its another in a long line of insane J-Splatter movies that are the wrong side of creepy and exploitative.

It also gets strangely boring at points. Its certainly no Mutant Girls Squad.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 26 April 2013 22:39:58
    Iron Man 3. 6/10

The humour feels forced and Downey is missing some of his charm and charisma from his performance. The rest of the plot is pretty predictable and no one ever feels like they're on danger or are going to come out of it all badly.

Just a bit meh really.
  • mrpon 26 Apr 2013 22:41:04 28,715 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    I really can't stress enough how much you should never watch 2 Fast 2 Furious though. Each minute that passes cost you an IQ point.
    ITV now! IQ dropping exponentially!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• tuff 26 Apr 2013 23:02:52 624 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    American Pie The Reunion

Why / 10
  • ronuds 26 Apr 2013 23:04:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably because none of them have done anything of worth since.
  • nickthegun 26 Apr 2013 23:20:16 59,366 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Iron Man 3. 6/10

The humour feels forced and Downey is missing some of his charm and charisma from his performance. The rest of the plot is pretty predictable and no one ever feels like they're on danger or are going to come out of it all badly.

Just a bit meh really.
    Still better than TDKR

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LionheartDJH 26 Apr 2013 23:37:04 19,376 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tsotsi - 9/10

Story of a young criminal who is a hard case until he finds a baby and feels compelled to take care of it. The experience makes him question his ways, while the consequences of his actions start to catch up with him.

I've seen few films that have moved me as much as this, some really emotional/uneasy viewing scenes.

She dives for cheese pasties

• kentmonkey 26 Apr 2013 23:37:47 20,541 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    I really can't stress enough how much you should never watch 2 Fast 2 Furious though. Each minute that passes cost you an IQ point.
    ITV now! IQ dropping exponentially!
    My body is shaking. My face is shaking. I can barely keep my eyes open. I've already selected the 17th gear and the car behind me is still closing...oh look. My foot wasn't all the way down. I'll just do that.
  • Dougs 26 Apr 2013 23:39:56 67,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carnage - 7.5/10. Polanski film with Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christophe Waltz and John C Reilly as 2 couples arguing over who was at fault in a fight between their sons. Very Abigail's Party/Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe. Funny, sharp, claustrophobic. My only criticism is that it was a little short and could've done with some more character development. Which probably happens in the play it's based on.

Tomorrow I'll be watching shit get blown up.
  • sirtacos 27 Apr 2013 01:12:58 7,272 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iron Man 3

Decent light-hearted romp with impressive visual effects.
    The banter is the best part - a few lines of dialogue are lol-worthy (e.g. Tony telling the kid: "no need to be a pussy" about his father abandoning him :D). However, the basic plot is nothing special and the execution is nothing special, leaving us with a predictable big budget blockbuster, albeit a well-polished one.

My main gripe is that there's no real sense of danger for anyone involved except the villains and peripheral characters. The proceedings lose 'weight' as a result.

Ben Kingsley is a highlight. Gwyneth Paltrow gets a chance to play Princess Peach, only to overturn the stereotype at the end, I guess, by beating up the big baddie and saving her husband/boyfriend/guy.

I enjoyed many parts of it, but I was also slightly bored throughout. I don't know if that's a reflection on me or the film. In any case,

6/10

Edited by sirtacos at 01:20:15 27-04-2013
  • MatMan562 27 Apr 2013 01:30:42 2,372 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just seen Iron Man 3 as well. I will say that I'm probably not the best juidge as I seem to always love these kinds of films and don't care about most of what others do (case in point, I don't care about there not being "a sense of danger"). But I really enjoyed it! I think it's probably the best of the Iron Man films though not as good as The Avengers. I'm now really looking forward to Thor 2 and the rest of "phase 2"!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• fragglerocks 27 Apr 2013 03:59:48 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Django unchained 9/10
    Really deserved those Oscars.

A friend gave my The Fountain as a gift, saying "you'll love this". I think I cried the whole way through and I'm still not sure what happened. My friend gave me too much credit in liking real movies; I like movies where things explode, a lot.
  • beastmaster 27 Apr 2013 04:21:21 11,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm with Mat on this. Also, name me one big blockbuster where there is a sense of danger that certain characters may not make it. I'm talking comic book apadpations. Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, any kind of Man? The good guys win. They always win! Good always triumphs over evil. No exceptions.

I may, of course, have missed one (even two perhaps) which are...

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 27 April 2013 04:45:49
    Sense of danger is inherently tied in with suspension of disbelief, and doesn't necessarily mean "you think they're going to fail". You can feel that certain superheroes are vulnerable and weak whilst simultaneously really knowing that everything's all going to be okay. So when people say there's no sense of danger, they really mean there's no suspension of disbelief, that you were conscious of watching a movie throughout without ever really being absorbed.

For example, the end of Superman 1 where the nuke goes off and loads of people die including Lois Lane. You know deep down she'll somehow come back to life, but the sense of grief and loss at that moment is almost palpable.

Of course, being absorbed into a modern blockbuster film is a bit like expecting to be absorbed into a Youtube compilation of explosions and colour. You're not mentally engaged, just distracted. IN IMAX 3D.

Edited by meme at 04:52:19 27-04-2013
  • khaz 27 Apr 2013 07:09:44 2,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is why The Incredibles remains the best super hero movie ever.

Edited by khaz at 07:10:25 27-04-2013
  • Deleted user 27 April 2013 08:18:43
    Lawless. 6. Some interesting characters but nothing new or exciting happens.
  • repairmanjack 27 Apr 2013 12:35:02 5,998 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Skyfall. 8/10

Really rather liked it - even though it turns into Home Alone at one point.
  • Page

of 2745 First / Last