Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2201

• Page

of 2712 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 19 Apr 2013 10:05:59 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Fly II - 8/10

I love creature feature films from the 80s and 90s.
    This one is quite slow to get going but the last half hour or so is great with the odd bits of over the top gore.
  • MoGamer2006 19 Apr 2013 13:13:45 975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @L_Franko

Oooh - the bit with the guard's face being burnt off with digestive acid, yet he still lives really disturbed me when I saw the film back in the 80s... still makes me wince!
  • smoothpete 19 Apr 2013 13:23:47 31,362 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah same here. I saw it probably too young and that bit kinda stayed with me
  • Deckard1 19 Apr 2013 13:43:32 27,266 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The mong dog made me cry like a baby when I was a kid. Never been able to watch it since.
  • speedofthepuma 19 Apr 2013 13:53:44 13,268 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    End of Watch 9/10.

Very nearly perfect. I have issues with the 'found footage' style, and the over arching narrative, which was bitty and a little at odds with the otherwise amazing dialogue, acting, and writing.

I think my problems with it (certainly the bitty narrative) might be entirely key to why it was so good. So just as well I wasn't in charge.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• nickthegun 19 Apr 2013 13:55:00 58,917 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    The mong dog made me cry like a baby when I was a kid. Never been able to watch it since.
    Was that the day your true feelings awoke?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 19 Apr 2013 14:12:34 27,266 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was wanking off dogs long before I watched Fly 2
  • L_Franko Moderator 19 Apr 2013 14:18:01 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did find myself picking up my phone when the dog was being put into the machine because I knew what was coming up. I totally forgot about the scene where he discovers the dog is still alive 4 years on though.

The melted face guy gets the shitty end of the stick in the film. Also the guy that can't get out from under the lift.

Edited by L_Franko at 14:21:48 19-04-2013
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Apr 2013 14:22:19 5,457 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Accepted - 6/10

Annoying twat 'hacker from DH4' gets rejected on all of his college applications, and to avoid embarrassment and harassment from his parents, decides to make his own college with friends in a derelict psych hospital. Then real students, the other rejects, start showing up, tuition money in hand.....

Great turn from Lewis Black, everything else standard teen comedy.

God Bless America - 9/10

The tone is set within the first minute. You'll either turn off in disgust, or cackle madly at the preposterous opening.

Frank is Frank. Divorced, fired, and diagnosed with a fatal brain tumour, he decides to set out and solve all of the problems with society as he sees fit.....by going postal. Gloriously black and violent indie, that'll definitely be appreciated by more than a few folk here.

For the record, I laughed.

The Guilt Trip - ohchristshaddup/10

Thought I'd give this Seth Rogen comedy a shot. Didn't realise Barbara Streisland played his mother. Didn't realise I could only tolerate six minutes of her incessant, verbal diarrhoea spewing, Jewish mother role.

So bloody annoying, I gave up on the kitchen scene with her friends. Arrgh, my poor ears !
  • TheSaint 19 Apr 2013 15:41:30 14,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They've been on Netflix for ages so maybe they struck up some kind of exclusive deal that kept them off Sky.
  • beastmaster 19 Apr 2013 17:33:39 11,199 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Evil Dead 2 : Dead By Dawn (1987) - 5.5/10

A highly regarded sequel which has aged terribly and is not a patch on the classic original.

This is the sequel which director Sam Rami introduced the funnies, which probably were back in 1987 but just left me mostly totally cold this time around. Army of Darkness is much funnier and probably only just slightly less gory.

The special effects have aged badly and have the look of something from Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video. Even little plasticine Morph from the old kids TV show Take Hart had better effects than some of the shots in this film.

There are a few positives though. There are a few jump moments, a couple of decent laughs but the best thing about this film is Sam Rami's direction. Nobody can set up shots and do unusual camera angles anywhere near as good as Rami when he's on form. You can tell there's a master craftsman behind the camera. It does make the film look totally distinct and some sequences are pretty spectacular when he cuts loose. It's also not a straight remake of the original and brings some fresh ideas of it's own.

However it's not as scary as the original or as gory as the original. The humour for me (apart from a couple of scenes) didn't really click with me.

Those camera shots speeding through the woods are still damn creepy and effective though. If only someone remade the original...Oh hang on, this brings me to...

Evil Dead (2013) - 8.5/10

"The most terrifying film you will ever experience".

This is/was my most anticipated film of this year. If the tagline refers to the acting then this is the biggest understatement ever. But I'll get to that shortly.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The tagline should be "The most gory film you will ever experience". Certain scenes are jaw-droppingly, stunningly violent. On that level the film delivers.

The plot is a slightly different from the original but it's the same setup. Cabin in the woods, dumb people, dead rise and they are not pleasant, lots of blood, extreme gore and violence.

The film would have been so much better and lived up to it's tagline if they got some decent actors in there. Lead actress Jane Levy aside, it truly is horrific to the point that it almost ruins the film. They made the acting in something like Smallville look like it's King Lear performed by Kenneth Branagh. It's such a shame as everything else is in place and done superbly.

Let's get to a bare bones.

Is it scary? If you mean does it give you goosebumps and make your hairs stand on end then overall no. There are some really creepy and unsettling moments though. This doesn't relate to the violence or gore. It's that fear factor and this is there in certain scenes but not consistent throughout the whole film.

Is it violent and gory? Off the scale. Loved every minute of it!

Will it make you jump? I didn't actually launch as such but I had a few moments when I just went 'FUCK!"

Is it intense? Relentless but the pacing seems kind of off in places. The acting also tries it best to dampen any kind of fear and tension but thankfully it doesn't succeed. There is also no humour whatsoever to lighten things up a bit. Good.

Is it any good? Yes, it's superb. Despite the pacing being a bit off and actors more wooden than the woods it is a worthy remake. I've not mentioned anything about the last 15-20 minutes which more than make up for any of the films shortfalls. Insanely off the scale. It's worth staying till the end of the end credits as well.

Edit: Morph was probably not as good as some of the effects in Evil Dead 2. But they have aged badly.

Edited by beastmaster at 17:41:36 19-04-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• B0rked_Gamer 19 Apr 2013 17:39:56 2,487 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ban request ^
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 17:49:56
    You just gave 8.5 to a horror film that isn't scary and isn't even funny with terrible acting. There's something really wrong with you.

Edited by Aargh. at 17:50:25 19-04-2013
  • BinaryBob101 19 Apr 2013 17:53:22 22,353 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Who mentioned funny Aargh?

Beautiful tender beings.

• Trowel 19 Apr 2013 17:54:31 17,464 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    They've been on Netflix for ages so maybe they struck up some kind of exclusive deal that kept them off Sky.
    You're right - they also have rights to all The Hobbitses films, sneaky sons of...

Have to watch it on demand before it disappears it seems.

A Fantastic Fear of Everything 5/10

Ironic that, for a film about a writer, it's completely devoid of any sort of story. And Pegg badly needs to find a new character to play.
  • tuff 19 Apr 2013 22:05:14 622 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cars
    89%
    Such a shame the sequel is shit.
  • repairmanjack 19 Apr 2013 23:33:13 5,987 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, I watched the opening 20 minutes of Paul. Does it get better? I'm typically a fan of Pegg and Frost but this felt like it was wearing thin as soon as it started.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 23:59:20
    repairmanjack wrote:
    So, I watched the opening 20 minutes of Paul. Does it get better? I'm typically a fan of Pegg and Frost but this felt like it was wearing thin as soon as it started.
    Ah. No. Paul is shit, sorry.

Evil dead
    90%
    Brilliant. Beastmaster posted quite a comprehensive review so I'll keep mine short. Just loved it. Not as good as the original, and I actually thought it might be better. But still. Fucking loved this film.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 00:12:54
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

God Bless America - 9/10

The tone is set within the first minute. You'll either turn off in disgust, or cackle madly at the preposterous opening.

Frank is Frank. Divorced, fired, and diagnosed with a fatal brain tumour, he decides to set out and solve all of the problems with society as he sees fit.....by going postal. Gloriously black and violent indie, that'll definitely be appreciated by more than a few folk here.

For the record, I laughed.

This movie doesn't get half the credit it deserves. I have a thing for "going postal" movies (Falling Down is possibly my favourite movie of all time) and this one shows how fucking shit and stupid life is now. It's a goddam work of art.

And it was directed by Z from Police Academy :D
  • Oh-Bollox 20 Apr 2013 00:29:45 5,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Evil Dead. 4/10.

The most forgettable cast in ages, too much focus on gore, no intentional humour, no horror or tension, just jump scares. Good practical effects.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 01:31:47
    Room 237

Shite/10
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 06:41:40
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Who mentioned funny Aargh?
    Mr Ebert above.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 07:57:19
    Wadd - The Life & Times of John C. Holmes (1999) 13.5/10

A documentary that sets the record straight. Whatever you might have read, the myths, the rumours, Wadd simply tells the story from beginning to fatal end, using interviews with those that knew him, including wife(s), producers, directors, police, legal types. Director of Boogie Nights (1997) Paul Thomas Anderson has something to say, and was impressed by John’s acting skills, describing them as natural.
  • Lotos8ter 20 Apr 2013 08:46:10 2,353 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oblivion 7.5/10

In many ways an old school Sci-Fi film with a rather small cast and some really beautiful scenes. Well worth a visit to the cinema to see in all its glory. It borrows heavily from elsewhere but I really enjoyed it.

Just stay out of the EG Oblivion thread where some people who should know better have done their best to ruin it.

Fiat Lux

• beastmaster 20 Apr 2013 11:42:54 11,199 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They've tied not to copy Rami so all of the crazy camera effects are gone, apart from the rolling camera through the woods.

It's main focus is on extreme gore and violence and shock moments. I'm a gore-hound so I loved it all. Creepy moments? I thought there were a couple but it in no was has the sustained creepiness of The Shining or the original film. Very few horrors these days I find are creepy. The cellar is still there.

I loved it for what it was and I'll be seeing it again over the weekend. I don't think any humour is needed at all. Very, very few films can get it right anyway. Evil Dead 2? Not for me although many disagree. American Werewolf and Hatchet are the only two I can think of offhand.

The music is excellent as well.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 20 April 2013 19:12:28
    I thought the long haired guy injected just the right amount of humour. Me and my mate are total gore hounds as well so totally loved it. Didn't expect it to be scary at all but it did have a couple of jumps. Just a damn good film. Compared especially to the utter utter shit I've sat through recently (I'm looking at you Texas Chainsaw 3d).

Edit: The shining on blu ray tonight. Fuck I love that film.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 19:13:23 20-04-2013
  • TechnoHippy 20 Apr 2013 20:04:00 14,698 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cockneys vs Zombies

Moderately amusing.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dougs 20 Apr 2013 22:30:15 66,735 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    21 Jump Street. 4/10. Christ, that was a waste of 2 hours. A few amusing one liners but mostly terrible. Aped the original series, and 80s teen films but was far too heavy handed, and largely dull.
  • Page

of 2712 First / Last