Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2200

• Page

of 2863 First / Last

• TOOTR 17 Apr 2013 17:36:15 9,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Superman Returns (2006)

Well I enjoyed that much more than I remembered - as I was very disappointed on release.

It's elegantly made and crafted by Mr Singer and in no way soils the canon of the first 2 Donner films.

There are some great iconic moments in it but, unfortunately, too much homage is paid to S1 and it's all a bit too ponderous and sombre to be a thrilling Supes blockbuster.

Looking forward to what Man of Steel can bring to the table (aside from more CGI natch).

68%

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Deleted user 17 April 2013 17:46:42
    TOOTR wrote:
    in no way soils the canon of the first 2 Donner films
    This is somewhat ironic, given Lester's take-over of Supes 2. :D
  • Iain815 18 Apr 2013 00:04:52 441 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oblivion

I don't really know what else to say than it was excellent. Top sci-fi, fantastic effects and sounds, and a fuck load of twists.

9/10
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 00:10:44
    Margin Call.

Impressed, nicely shot, good script, good acting all round. Genuienly absorbed/gripped by the whole thing. Surprisingly engaging.

Basically its a film about a firm deciding how to handle a potentially catastrophic financial collaspe and whether to trigger it early after findings of serious mismanagement of their own finances, stocks shares, mortgages and the like. So we get people from new guys to mid level management to the big boss trying to deal with the end of the good times but wrestling over the ideas that something 'made up' can cause so much damage.

8/10

Edited by joelstinton at 00:18:25 18-04-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Apr 2013 12:17:18 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Driver - 1978

Wow, Drive really copied a lot of specific scenes from that movie. Switched them up and so on but especially the driving scenes have been heavily influenced by The Driver - same with the main character.
    In the end I actually prefer Drive but both are very good movies.
    And not to forget his pretty lookin' love interest ala francaise.

8/10
  • pistol 18 Apr 2013 12:54:06 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arbitrage

OK suspense/thriller about a Hedge Fund financier (Richard Gere). Sort of enjoyed this and I'm a fan of the main cast (Gere, Susan Saranden, Tim Roth) but felt overall a little predictable in places. Of these types of movies much preferred Wall Street, although appreciate WS was a little more fluffy as this had a lot more detail around the finance side.

Gere was good as you'd expect though.

70/100
  • pistol 18 Apr 2013 12:56:59 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    The Grey - 6.5/10

This film was up and down more than Russell Brand's pants. We get long, drawn-out and unnecessary scenes, we get an unnecessary sense of importance, shockingly poor CGI wolves and wolf-puppets, and a poor ending. That said, there are moments of brilliance. Notably the bit on the plane was incredibly well done - that scene being far more edge-of-your-seat than Denzel's 'Flight'. Technically, it looked absolutely glorious, had a fantastic orchestral soundtrack and really shows off your surround system. But it went quickly downhill after the first 30 minutes, and for that it gets an only slightly-better-than-average 6.5.
    I hated it too.

Below average at best.
  • ronuds 18 Apr 2013 14:59:28 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077474/ - Driver, 1978

http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0780504/ - Drive, 2011
    THE Driver.

"THE"! You're confusing everybody!
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 15:01:18
    pistol wrote:
    woodnotes wrote:
    The Grey - 6.5/10

This film was up and down more than Russell Brand's pants. We get long, drawn-out and unnecessary scenes, we get an unnecessary sense of importance, shockingly poor CGI wolves and wolf-puppets, and a poor ending. That said, there are moments of brilliance. Notably the bit on the plane was incredibly well done - that scene being far more edge-of-your-seat than Denzel's 'Flight'. Technically, it looked absolutely glorious, had a fantastic orchestral soundtrack and really shows off your surround system. But it went quickly downhill after the first 30 minutes, and for that it gets an only slightly-better-than-average 6.5.
    I hated it too.

Below average at best.
    I didn't "hate" it, but I did think it was a pretty average film.

The thing that most bothered me was how the wolves were basically monsters. What could have been a really powerful "man vs nature" movie just ended up being a B grade Aliens rip off in the snow.

Edited by kalel at 15:17:03 18-04-2013
  • TOOTR 18 Apr 2013 15:24:47 9,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    TOOTR wrote:
    in no way soils the canon of the first 2 Donner films
    This is somewhat ironic, given Lester's take-over of Supes 2. :D
    True dat :) Should have said 'Donner era' films. Forgot all about the hullabaloo between them.

What did you make of Superman Returns mate?

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• TOOTR 18 Apr 2013 15:28:02 9,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I fucking hated it. One of my most hated films since Taken actually.
    O_O

I don't think it was the best ever but I quite enjoyed it overall.

Have you had family kidnapped?

Did you used to have a pet wolf?

Did you have your pet wolf kidnapped!?

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• Trowel 18 Apr 2013 17:25:25 18,064 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Margin Call.

Impressed, nicely shot, good script, good acting all round. Genuienly absorbed/gripped by the whole thing. Surprisingly engaging.

Basically its a film about a firm deciding how to handle a potentially catastrophic financial collaspe and whether to trigger it early after findings of serious mismanagement of their own finances, stocks shares, mortgages and the like. So we get people from new guys to mid level management to the big boss trying to deal with the end of the good times but wrestling over the ideas that something 'made up' can cause so much damage.

8/10
    I watched it this afternoon and would give it 5/10. I don't think it explained the concept clearly at any point, in spite of the fact that all the characters above Spock kept shouting "Give it to me in simple terms" (wtf?). And at no point did it even explore the ramifications, just kept throwing out abstractions along the lines of "Look at them, they don't even know what's about to happen". It was to the city what Deep Impact was to science.
  • Trowel 18 Apr 2013 17:27:20 18,064 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    khaz wrote:

THE Driver.

Speaking of Drive, anyone know why it's never been on Sky Movies? Same with Source Code come to think about it. Is it a studio thing?
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 17:28:05
    Boiler Room is a good city film, and features a pre-action hero Vin Diesel.
  • Trowel 18 Apr 2013 17:31:01 18,064 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Brilliant movie, nothing has come close since.
  • Vagelaras 18 Apr 2013 17:34:59 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Argo 8/10 . I cant say that the movie was bad , everything was ok . From the actors to the 80s atmosphere . However , I sadly didnt found something really fascinating . All that hype didnt work out well for me .
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 17:37:23
    Trowel wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It's a pretty niche genre. Aside from the Wall Street films I can't think of much else.
  • khaz 18 Apr 2013 18:07:58 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It's a pretty niche genre. Aside from the Wall Street films I can't think of much else.
    Aside frm the two you mentioned:

Too big to Fail
    Trading Places :)
    Glengarry Glen Ross - debatable but the principles of greed, money and hustle are all there
    The Bank from 2002 is pretty good
    Barbarians at the Gate
    Working Girl
    Haven't seen Margin Call from 2011 but has a great cast so might be worth a shot.
    Rogue Trader

There's tons of good documentaries though.

Edit: Orher People's Money is pretty decent as well. Bonus points for a white haired and still awesome Gregory Peck.

Edited by khaz at 18:22:07 18-04-2013
  • TOOTR 18 Apr 2013 18:12:45 9,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like a right load of bankers if you ask me!

/doffs cap

/exits stage left

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• Mr_Sleep 18 Apr 2013 18:19:32 17,383 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just returned from seeing Late Quartet and it was absolutely stunning. Probably the best performance I've ever seen from Christopher Walken, such an understated performance. This true of the whole film. Best thing I've watched this year.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Jmek 18 Apr 2013 18:24:31 1,358 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tucker & Dale Vs Evil - 80%

Fantastic horror comedy with wonderful performances form Alan Tudyk & Tyler Labine. I was literally crying with laughter at certain points.
  • craigy Staff 19 Apr 2013 08:32:03 7,841 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Olympus Has Fallen: 6/10

Makes me feel proud to be an American. All movies should end on a shot of the US flag flying proudly above the White House.
  • tonyferrino 19 Apr 2013 08:45:46 189 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Jmek Yeah, I love the way they subvert the stereotype and expectations.
  • imamazed 19 Apr 2013 09:19:44 5,955 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sexy Beast (2000)

I'd like to simply use a quote from the film to explain my thoughts:

"Shut up, cunt! You louse. You got some fucking neck. Retired? Fuck off. You're revolting. Your fucking suntan... you're like leather. Like a leather man. You could make a fuckin' suitcase, a hold-all. You look like a fat crocodile, fat bastard. You look like fuckin' Idi Amin. State of you... you should be ashamed of yourself. Who d'you think you are? King of the castle? Cock of the walk? You think this is the Wheel of Fortune? You make your dough and fuck off? "Thanks, Don. See you, Don. Off to Spain, Don. Fuck off, Don." Lie in your pool laughing at me. D'you think I'll have that? You think I'll have that, ya ponce? All right, I'll make it easy for you. God, you're fucking trying! Are you gonna do the job? It's not a difficult question. Yes or no?"

8/10 or 80% or 4*
  • imamazed 19 Apr 2013 09:42:01 5,955 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree
  • Tonka 19 Apr 2013 09:50:02 21,353 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    When I worked as a cold calls tele marketer there was a copy of Boiler room being passed around as instruction manual by the floor boos.

So I have refused to see it.

But I do like vocational films like Pushing Tin or Office Space so maybe I should see this.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• khaz 19 Apr 2013 09:56:55 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You really should, its seriously good and well written.
  • glaeken 19 Apr 2013 10:02:35 11,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    khaz wrote:

THE Driver.

Speaking of Drive, anyone know why it's never been on Sky Movies? Same with Source Code come to think about it. Is it a studio thing?
    The did have Drive on Sky Box office for about a week. It then disappeared for some reason. Source Code was also on for a very limited run. It is odd so I am not sure what is behind it.
  • Page

of 2863 First / Last