Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2192

• Page

of 2587 First / Last

• kalel 10 Apr 2013 14:50:44 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They were best mates that ended up hating each other.
  • evild_edd 10 Apr 2013 15:02:52 2,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, that would do it.

Now I just need to invent a time machine so I can deliver my foot-in-mouth review to him personally...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 10 Apr 2013 15:04:14 7,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Never Let Me Go - 9/10

Rather good and not what I expected from my position of complete ignorance, bar the poster. It somehow managed to be the most powerful sci-fi film I've seen since District 9, only with much more twee.
    And I would add, likely to leave you in a bleak mood for a number of days.

I reckon a double-bill of Never Let Me Go and Martha Marcy May Marlene would finish most people off.
    Truth. It was hard to find the enthusiasm to leave the cinema after the credits had rolled on Never Let Me Go. Made me blue and mopey for a few days.
  • kalel 10 Apr 2013 15:09:17 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do agree that all of Kubrick's films are quite ponderous and hard going at times, but as per my earlier post, they are also very gripping at their best, and at the very least they usually have standout scenes which are incredibly memorable.

Barry Lyndon didn't have that for me. It was just very very pretty. It did also have a nice tone to it and yeah, the narration was fun as you say, but I think it's fair to be a bit negative about it. Just because it's Kubrick doesn't make it beyond judgement, especially as it came smack bang in the middle of his golden era (some of his early films are quite un-Kubrick like and it's probably fair to judge them a bit differently).
  • evild_edd 10 Apr 2013 15:36:24 2,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Barry Lyndon didn't have that for me. It was just very very pretty. It did also have a nice tone to it and yeah, the narration was fun as you say, but I think it's fair to be a bit negative about it. Just because it's Kubrick doesn't make it beyond judgement, especially as it came smack bang in the middle of his golden era (some of his early films are quite un-Kubrick like and it's probably fair to judge them a bit differently).
    This is completely fair. Perhaps I would be better to say that I felt I could overlook any such failings because of its strengths and, yes, my fondness for Kubrick's style. That doesn't, of course, mean that everyone else should be forced to overlook them, or be forced to loving a film (this or any other) that they didn't enjoy.

It's certainly not my favourite of his works, based on the first viewing.

Why look, it's a blog:

• LeoliansBro 10 Apr 2013 15:39:38 41,865 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like watching Transformers with the telly turned off. Really improves the films.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• HarryPalmer 10 Apr 2013 15:40:22 2,630 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched The Killing recently. It's a fantastic noir film, very well photographed, but you wouldn't know it was Kubrick.

It also has one of the top 5 bar fights.

EIGHT OUT OF TEN
  • Mola_Ram 10 Apr 2013 15:46:28 6,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I feel that most of the works in Michael Bay's cinematic oeuvre do not lend themselves to the mundanities of score giving.

Mostly because they're shit. Don't need a number for that.
  • evild_edd 10 Apr 2013 15:51:02 2,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, Pain & Gain looks like it may well be beyond mere scores...

Why look, it's a blog:

• mikeck 10 Apr 2013 15:56:19 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    There Will Be Blood is fucking brilliant.
    Fucking A. I'm with you there.

I will drink your fucking milkshake evild_edd ;)

Edited by mikeck at 15:57:22 10-04-2013
  • Tom_Servo 10 Apr 2013 16:10:57 15,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Citizen Kane - 9/10

This might sound strange, but I went into this with rather low expectations. Everything I'd read and been told suggested that it was something you should watch, but not necessarily something you'll enjoy. Well, I really enjoyed it.

I didn't know much about the story apart from it being about a newspaper tycoon's life and the whole Rosebud thing, so maybe that helped. Orson Welles was amazing, it didn't really have the feel a lot of films from the 1920s-40s have (i.e. a bit like a stage play with dodgy acting), it was shot and lit beautifully, and it was pretty moving to boot.

Also, it managed to pack in a lot in about two hours. It's probably shorter than the last fucking Transformers film.
  • HarryPalmer 10 Apr 2013 16:24:19 2,630 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, it's 2 hours long. It really does hold up to the hype surrounding it, truly monumental.
  • Deleted user 10 April 2013 19:34:11
    Notorious (Hitchcock)

A good spy film that has a few plot threads that are neatly threaded through the film and delicately tied up in a suprising and refreshing ending (yes, even though it was filmed in '46)

Its an odd one in that, for 1946 its very much for then a reactionary post war film dealing with Nazis trying to regroup in spanish latin american countries and the nuclear bomb - so for then its very contemporary for its time, in a sense that tension is lost a bit. So you could imagine how well its played to audiences back then.

The trio of leads are great, and the women are quite strong, ruthless and dominating.

]What is obvious, is that throughtout the whole film, a spy thriller, not a single gun shot is fired, and not a gun shown, so the scriptwriting is pretty clever in its ending

7.5/10

Edited by joelstinton at 19:34:40 10-04-2013

Edited by joelstinton at 19:37:08 10-04-2013
  • Megapocalypse 10 Apr 2013 22:35:45 5,228 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Underworld: Awakenings - 7/10

Like the previous ones a lot of fun but seemed a little short.
  • beastmaster 10 Apr 2013 23:49:35 10,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @joelstinton

My personal favourite Hitchcock film. In my top 5 films of all time. I've not seen it for a while though. I hear the BR transfer (US) is not as good as the Criterion DVD. I don't think it's come out here on BR yet.

Edit: Avoid the Oblivion thread as there is a massive spoiler in there un-spoilered.

Edited by beastmaster at 00:01:18 11-04-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• espibara 11 Apr 2013 00:12:19 4,156 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep seriously stay out of the oblivion thread, its a brill film and you wont want it spoiling
  • Dangerous_Dan 11 Apr 2013 08:16:21 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Enemy Mine - 1985

What was that? It was probably written by some kindergarten teacher, trying to write a moral story. Special effects look cheesy but not in a charming way. If you make the movie about the interaction of two individuals then at least use interesting characters.

It's Enemy Mine/10.
  • Gambit1977 11 Apr 2013 10:04:18 9,560 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Evil Dead (2013)
    Erm. I'm honestly not sure. It's characterless, the acting is from smallville and it's loud. I honestly expected to love it...but no, I didn't.

Some cringeworthy 'nods and winks' to the original, and not in the least scary. But watchable.
    5/10
  • Lotos8ter 11 Apr 2013 10:35:53 2,324 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gambit1977 - bugger. I was really getting my hopes up for this.
    Does anyone do proper horror anymore?

Fiat Lux

• bad09 11 Apr 2013 10:41:02 5,504 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cabin In The Woods

A very....strange experience that had me scratching my head thinking it was both one of the worst and then inventive horrors I've seen in a while. I know there is a big fat clue right at the start all is not what it seems but I genuinely thought I was watching a really bad generic teen horror movie rather than a massive satire on the genre for a while. With that in mind though it's hard to rate, some of it IS terrible...but it's supposed to be as that's the point!

75%

Men In Black 3

Probably better than 2 but much like 2 a pointless sequel with none of the magic of the original. Not terrible but incredibly average and forgettable.

55%

Doom

I really don't know why I put this on last night, I know it's terrible but fancied a laugh I guess. Like most of these awful game to film turds it has very little to actually do with Doom and very bad in almost every way but I do think it's one of those films that are so bad it's always fun to watch once in a while just to just laugh at it. Still love the terrible but awesome game tribute sequence though, makes me want Doom 4!

30%
  • beastmaster 11 Apr 2013 10:42:50 10,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a lot of people/websites out there who really liked the new Evil Dead film. Including the likes of Dread Central, Bloody Disgusting etc.

Probably a wise move though not to go in with high expectations. It's my most anticipated film of this year though, so no chance of that for me.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• bad09 11 Apr 2013 10:46:30 5,504 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah a lot of the feedback from TED was positive. Obviously people have different tastes but it is supposed to be pretty good and one of the better remakes out there.
  • Gambit1977 11 Apr 2013 10:50:40 9,560 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    There's a lot of people/websites out there who really liked the new Evil Dead film. Including the likes of Dread Central, Bloody Disgusting etc.

Probably a wise move though not to go in with high expectations. It's my most anticipated film of this year though, so no chance of that for me.
    I too was really looking forward to it, in light of the originals being amongst my favourite movies.
    But after the signposted wink winks I decided to watch it on its own merit, and found a film very well made but just a sequence of not great set pieces.

The final third is also very weak.
    It's got 56% on meta critic so it would appear I got my review dead centre :-)

Plus points for using practical effects though!
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 14:49:42
    Borat -

Ok i guess. I guess my issues stem in his other films as well. Some jokes hit the nail on the head, and really expose some people for what they are. Some i think are a bit unfairly caught up in his act, where they are used as bait in a racist or homophobic way. As though sacha is projecting a wider view on unfortunate people and trying to get a reaction from them ( the odd bits say with politicians , in which both of them don't budge and make a fool of themselves) - Its here that i just felt a bit .. MEH..

But then you get the odd gag that works - the rodeo scene and in bruno the way parents would happily make there babies lose a third of there weight to become baby models. Or that Wrestling scene. I'm being honest, it the first time i seen this - and this type of humour as been done again, again, and again. So it all felt a bit tired. If i watched it with mates or at a screening, i probably would have got caught up in the movie more as i did with bruno.

Laugh out loud in places, most mildly amusing in the rest of the film

5/10

Edited by joelstinton at 14:55:32 11-04-2013
  • Zizoo 11 Apr 2013 15:07:49 7,705 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's such a Samantha thing to say.
  • kalel 11 Apr 2013 15:08:21 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The bit with the poo in the bag kills me. He sure has sone cojones to pull stuff like that off with a straight face.
  • FogHeart 11 Apr 2013 15:50:29 910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Regarding Citizen Kane, I too had not watched it prior to the Easter weekend. I felt it was absolutely fantastic up until he loses the election, but after that, with the jigsaw puzzles and the big mansion and the lousy singer, it loses its spark, until at the end I felt like I wasn't engaged anymore. The cinematography throughout, though, is just astonishing, it must have raised the bar into the stratosphere at the time. And Orson Welles is immense.
  • kalel 11 Apr 2013 15:57:45 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The interesting thing about it, is that Welles really didn't have any idea how to direct a film, and just sort of winged it, and in doing so defined modern cinema.
  • FogHeart 11 Apr 2013 16:09:37 910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's amazing! In the light of that my criticisms seem rather peevish. :redface:
  • TOOTR 11 Apr 2013 19:16:42 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Enemy Mine - 1985

What was that? It was probably written by some kindergarten teacher, trying to write a moral story. Special effects look cheesy but not in a charming way. If you make the movie about the interaction of two individuals then at least use interesting characters.

It's Enemy Mine/10.
    How very dare you?

Tis a classic.

A cheesy classic aye but a classic none the less!

You weren't there man...you weren't there!

/customary moan about youngsters

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Page

of 2587 First / Last