Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2180

• Page

of 2751 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2013 14:59:45 14,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Two Towers

The best film of the trilogy for me. Smeagol steals the show.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Gartt 29 Mar 2013 15:58:49 1,735 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Extended or theatrical versions?
  • tuff 29 Mar 2013 23:39:07 624 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shutter Island
    91%

Scorcese weaves the story brilliantly. Upon 2nd watch there are so many subtle references to what is to come. Class film making.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Mar 2013 23:43:06 7,235 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't find Shutter Island to be subtle in the slightest.
  • Megapocalypse 29 Mar 2013 23:44:03 5,388 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chernobyl Diaries - 4/10

You've seen this film before. The situation and characters are different but you've seen it before. Group of people go somewhere they shouldn't, get stranded there and bad things happen. It does nothing new and doesn't do what is there particularly well. Lots of shaky cam, shadows and quick sightings of the bad things.

Gets a few points for the nice shots of Pripyat before it descends into generic dark corridors and rooms.

Doesn't even have any tits.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 23:46:34 29-03-2013
  • SFD 30 Mar 2013 00:07:47 490 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Django Unchained

90%

QT is a god.
  • azurelas_2 30 Mar 2013 00:14:04 1,113 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On a Daniel Day-Lewis marathon, started with "Lincoln"
    -Utterly brilliant/100.

On a slight tangent, I wasn't aware how much "perceived race" matters in the US. To this day the black/white divide persists, and doesn't show any sign at all of reconciliation (Obama notwithstanding).

Up next: There will be blood
  • tuff 30 Mar 2013 00:34:15 624 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Your glasses are clearer than mine then.
  • effinjamie 30 Mar 2013 00:34:19 882 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Agreed, the entire time I was watching it, I was reminded of the John Cusack film Identity.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Mola_Ram 30 Mar 2013 01:44:23 7,235 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They even had Ben Kingsley explain it to you at the end with a chalkboard.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Mar 2013 01:44:47 7,235 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • L0cky 30 Mar 2013 04:09:53 1,521 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Time travel oO
  • kentmonkey 30 Mar 2013 09:58:39 20,586 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Lavender Hill Mob

Recorded this a few months ago and finally got around to watching it yesterday.

Everything you'd expect an early 50's bank heist film to be; slapstick, harmless, simple and 'oh so very, very British sir'.

Alec Guinness put in a good performance, and he didn't even use the force once.

7/10

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version)

Noomi plays her part well, especially during the rape scene, and the subsequent payback where she tattoos her offender and it was enjoyable in that low-budget movie kind of way. I would have given this an 8, but the 'reveal' was so bloody obvious both the girl, who I guessed was still alive at the very start and then worked out the likenesses between the sisters, and therefore that twist well before time, as I did the brother and father's involvement and being responsible for the other deaths that it did take away from the film quite a bit. It kind of turned it into a procession as you sat and waited for the ending you knew you were going to get anyway. Which, for a thriller, is a bit of a no-no.

I hadn't read the book before viewing so I don't know whether that would have improved or reduced my enjoyment.

6/10
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Mar 2013 10:08:36 14,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dredd
    Didn't do it for me, very ordinary. I have not read the comics/graphic novels, so don't get all elitist on me ;)
    I know Stallone's gets lots of stick, but he looks and sounds more the part for me.
    No one says "I am the Lawwww" like Stallone.
    50%

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• craigy Staff 30 Mar 2013 10:34:53 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sleepless in Seattle: 7/10
    It's a great film for the first hour -- simultaneously funny and infinitely sad, but as soon as it becomes about the pure mechanics of getting the two of 'em together I lost interest. Trying to figure out if they used a sound stage for the Empire state building scenes or if they genuinely shot on location.

Trance: 9/10
    Incredible. I loved it.
  • scott1987 30 Mar 2013 16:25:32 123 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Serpico 7/10 enjoyed it but I wouldn't watch it again
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Mar 2013 16:38:07 13,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Dredd
    Didn't do it for me, very ordinary. I have not read the comics/graphic novels, so don't get all elitist on me ;)
    I know Stallone's gets lots of stick, but he looks and sounds more the part for me.
    50%
    While I didn't enjoy Dredd as much as many of the Forumites, I think it's a little rich for you to say that Stallone "looks and sounds more the part" when you freely admit you "have not read the comics". :)
  • Deleted user 30 March 2013 17:14:24
    kentmonkey wrote:
    The Lavender Hill Mob

Recorded this a few months ago and finally got around to watching it yesterday.

Everything you'd expect an early 50's bank heist film to be; slapstick, harmless, simple and 'oh so very, very British sir'.

Alec Guinness put in a good performance, and he didn't even use the force once.

7/10

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version)

Noomi plays her part well, especially during the rape scene, and the subsequent payback where she tattoos her offender and it was enjoyable in that low-budget movie kind of way. I would have given this an 8, but the 'reveal' was so bloody obvious both the girl, who I guessed was still alive at the very start and then worked out the likenesses between the sisters, and therefore that twist well before time, as I did the brother and father's involvement and being responsible for the other deaths that it did take away from the film quite a bit. It kind of turned it into a procession as you sat and waited for the ending you knew you were going to get anyway. Which, for a thriller, is a bit of a no-no.

I hadn't read the book before viewing so I don't know whether that would have improved or reduced my enjoyment.

6/10
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish) was good. I've seen all 3 films, although Pt.2 felt like filler to Link Parts 1 and 3. As for the remake, I have zero interest in seeing it.
  • kentmonkey 30 Mar 2013 17:22:14 20,586 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got the other two installments on record for tomorrow and Monday evening. I'm hoping the twists aren't as signposted in those.
  • Madder-Max 30 Mar 2013 17:22:48 11,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That cop one with jake gyllenhall (fuck knows how to spell his name!) And his mexican cop brother. 10/10

Excellent. Very good.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• oceanmotion 30 Mar 2013 17:29:47 15,820 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Side by Side

Documentary about the use of film and digital in film making with opinions from directors, cinematographers etc. The latter particularly need more applause, never knew how much they mattered.

Fascinating insight and honest opinions. Don't know what side I would fall on, I was wavering all the way through. Lots of reasons and many ways to look at it such as archiving even. Nice history of different cameras and the improvement they brought, quality, size, weight allowing more creativity, arguable again. Acting and direction comes into as well which I didn't imagine. Little insights into filmmaking are interesting and unknown to me.

Keanu isn't bad either.

7/10

Edited by oceanmotion at 17:35:21 30-03-2013
  • TOOTR 30 Mar 2013 17:43:38 9,526 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Room 237

A visual reminder of Kubricks genius but by the end I came away with the impression that some people have way way too much time on their hands and their minds see things which are simply not there.

67%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Deleted user 30 March 2013 18:44:08
    Django

I can pretty much take or leave Tarantino but this film pretty much encapsulates why I think he's incredibly overrated.

It's an hour too long, the story is simple yet ends up an utter fucking mess somehow, the dialogue is borderline unintentionally hilarious in parts and Quentins own appearance had me laughing my balls of because he can't act for shit and his accent was embarrassingly poor.

The entire thing just feels like it was designed for 13 year old boys. The overuse of the n-word, the completely unsuited "cool" soundtrack and the cartoon violence complete with tomato soup blood.

I'm sure all the film student types will tell me I didn't "get it" but I don't think making a hokey shite western while constantly winking at the camera is the mark of a genius. At this stage it just feels like QT is seeing how far he can push mediocrity before the mass media stops calling him a master director.
  • DFawkes 30 Mar 2013 18:51:53 22,794 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I honestly can't remember you posting anything positive about anything ever, Spuds. What films do you like? I'm just being curious so feel free not to answer :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• monkehhh 30 Mar 2013 18:54:44 3,294 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What do you like? :)
  • Deleted user 30 March 2013 18:56:55
    In the past week or so I watched and enjoyed Argo, Lincoln and zero dark thirty.

I also saw the new Nic Cage turd Stolen which I did not enjoy.
  • Deleted user 30 March 2013 20:54:14
    (Mike Leigh’s) Naked (1993) 8/10

It’s strangely watch-able. DVD picture quality is questionable, colours washed out, slightly fuzzy. Somehow this doesn’t detract too much, and goes some way to adding to the grimness of it all.

Spotted this in Cex today for £5, it was about the only interesting looking film on offer. As it turns out, I’ve seen it before on TV, although I only recall about 10% of it. So it wasn’t a total waste.
  • Scurrminator 30 Mar 2013 22:32:51 8,402 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm pretty sure the language used in Django is justified. If it made you uncomfortable then spare a thought for the poor souls that lived through that shit.

Anyway.

Frank & Robot
    9/10
    Really great. Frank langella was awesomes!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• DUFFMAN5 30 Mar 2013 22:36:20 14,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Dredd
    I know Stallone's gets lots of stick, but he looks and sounds more the part for me, well at least what I imagine he would sound and look like,had I read the comics :).
    50%
    While I didn't enjoy Dredd as much as many of the Forumites, I think it's a little rich for you to say that Stallone "looks and sounds more the part" when you freely admit you "have not read the comics". :)
    Good point, well made :)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 22:37:21 30-03-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 2751 First / Last