Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2175

• Page

of 2698 First / Last

• Phattso Moderator 25 Mar 2013 10:48:30 13,188 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't dig the new Muppets movie until they did a reprise of the song from the first movie. Then I sort of bought into it more, perhaps out of nostalgia. I went into it expecting to hate it, and came out pleasantly surprised.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 10:51:24 58,782 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always thought the joke about the muppets was that they were these crazy, weird things in a human world and the humans didnt think that was strange (but the differences were played for laughs).

Seen most notably by the fact that NOBODY thinks its weird that Segels brother is a muppet.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• scott1987 25 Mar 2013 10:52:28 123 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Empire Strikes Back 10/10, the best star Wars film made.
  • khaz 25 Mar 2013 10:54:02 2,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah. The theatre was their own. All the guests were invited to their universe and get involved however they saw fit. Taking the theatre away from the muppets doomed the movie personally.

Rewatching the tv show, it's even better. Some of the humour has lost its bite obviously but even today, it retains its uniqueness. There's nothing quite like it.

Edit: @kalel

Edited by khaz at 10:54:49 25-03-2013
  • Blakester 25 Mar 2013 11:11:43 3,566 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Godfather

Simply one of (if not the) greatest films ever made.

The restaurant assassination scene is masterful, especially the way that ambient noise is used to build tension.

100%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 25 Mar 2013 11:13:32 86,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Nah. The theatre was their own. All the guests were invited to their universe and get involved however they saw fit. Taking the theatre away from the muppets doomed the movie personally.

Rewatching the tv show, it's even better. Some of the humour has lost its bite obviously but even today, it retains its uniqueness. There's nothing quite like it.

I can't argue your opinion. I can see where you're coming from. Personally though, after hating what had happend to The Muppets over the last twenty years, for me it was a significant step back in the right direction.
  • scott1987 25 Mar 2013 11:58:29 123 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Blakester wrote:
    The Godfather

The restaurant assassination scene is masterful, especially the way that ambient noise is used to build tension.

100%
    Fantastic film, gets better and better every time i watch it.
  • khaz 25 Mar 2013 12:23:59 2,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    The Godfather

100%
    Indeed. But the second one is better.

/cue war
  • Bremenacht 25 Mar 2013 12:31:59 17,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    khaz wrote:

I can't argue your opinion. I can see where you're coming from. Personally though, after hating what had happend to The Muppets over the last twenty years, for me it was a significant step back in the right direction.
    One thing I really liked about The Muppet Show, was that the audience were muppets too.
  • spindle9988 25 Mar 2013 12:49:12 3,485 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    end of watch 6.5/10

The acting from the leads was spot on, just found it slightly boring. Tbere is also a gangster girl in it played by what must be one of the worst actors I have ever seen
  • munki83 25 Mar 2013 13:11:04 1,397 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saw a few films at the cinema this weekend but was a bit unwell so I may be a little harsh on the first film I saw which was:

Welcome to the Punch 7/10

An entertaining film but I kinda fell asleep as I was suffering from the cold and I missed a bit of the plot. The acting was pretty decent by everyone and if I was less ill and more awake I think I would of enjoyed it more. However I have a feeling this is a film that will be quickly forgotten.

Stolen 4/10

A very average film that belongs back in the 90s and I have a feeling thats when it was roughly written for. There is some pretty big plot holes in the film and unfortunately Nicholas Cage isn't doing his usual over acting so its not as enjoyable as films like Conair. The main bad guy made me chuckle cos he was stupidly cheesy.
  • SClaw 25 Mar 2013 13:59:34 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MIB 3 -50/10

Fuck. You. Fuck everyone who was involved with this movie. I hope you die in pain.
  • khaz 25 Mar 2013 14:16:45 2,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I liked it. 2 was an atrocity but I liked 3. And Josh Brolin's Tommy Lee Jones is terrifyingly good.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 14:24:55 58,782 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was better than 2. I liked Macho Man Randy Savage and Scherzinger has a nice rack.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• SClaw 25 Mar 2013 14:37:59 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brolin aside (yes it was a good Tommy Lee; but that's not saying much because he's is a surly plank of wood no matter what the film), the film was just the first two storylines mashed together with an even shitter villian. This would have some lazy merit if the Smith/Jones partnership was actually amusing... but it's not. They don't act together, they both just do their own sterotype beside each other. By the time I got to the bit where O was doing Z's eulogy (about 5 minutes in) in a "funny alien voice" I just wanted to die. Die and kill all worthless human life so this horror is never again spoken of.
  • spindle9988 25 Mar 2013 14:42:35 3,485 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I gave MIB 3 a 10 when it came out. I loved it, pissed all over the 1st 2 in my opinion
  • dr_swin 25 Mar 2013 15:48:35 4,855 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    amour
    Not quite sure why I chose to watch a film about some poor old sod looking after his progressively disabled wife. I suppose it must have been the Oscar nods and the directatorial pedigree. What you get is a fairly depressing, unflinching look at the indignity that old age and illness inflicts on you. Haneke seems to love to use very long takes, framing the scene, daring you to look away first. Can't say I particularly enjoyed it - but can't fault it as a piece of film making.

Argo
    Pretty good. Probably would have enjoyed it more without the added expectation that winning 'best picture' gave it. Seemed a solid film, tension built up nicely towards the end.
  • Gartt 25 Mar 2013 15:54:59 1,734 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    amour
    ...Can't say I particularly enjoyed it - but can't fault it as a piece of film making.
    ]
    Pretty much how I felt about it. Worth a watch, but I couldn't sit through it again.
  • SClaw 25 Mar 2013 15:57:25 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Argo is a fair 7. They changed a few things from the real story to increase the tension, but when you already know it works out fine then it's never going to be tense really. I'd rather they stuck to the original tale. I enjoyed the acting but otherwise it was all a little bland and grey (sets, characters, the actual story). Glad I saw it at home; good Sunday afternoon film.
  • Tom_Servo 25 Mar 2013 15:58:59 17,233 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Argo is a fair 7. They changed a few things from the real story to increase the tension, but when you already know it works out fine then it's never going to be tense really. I'd rather they stuck to the original tale. I enjoyed the acting but otherwise it was all a little bland and grey (sets, characters, the actual story). Glad I saw it at home; good Sunday afternoon film.
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I said about it (although I gave it a 6). There was nothing to actively dislike about it (apart from the tinkering with events, I suppose), but there was also nothing to really like about it either.
  • kalel 25 Mar 2013 16:02:27 86,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The amount of forced tension building in Argo really annoyed me. Felt like an episode of 24 towards the end.
  • Blaketown 25 Mar 2013 16:18:16 4,635 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MiB 3 67%
    Genuinely can't see how anyone could like the first 2 and not like this.
    It's funny in places and carried completely by Will Smith's charm and the special effects.
    Other than that utterly disposable. Just like the first 2.

Friends With Benefits 69%
    Not as bad as I was expecting. I mean it has all the problems you'd expect from a chick flick about rich beautiful people in expensive loft apartments in New York. But Timberlake & Kunis are likable enough, the dialog was funny in places and the cheesy bit at the end was over and done with pretty quickly.
    Bearable then.

We Bought A Zoo 61%
    About the most vanilla film ever made. But to be fair, about as good as your are going to get with something that has such dangerous levels of warm & fuzzy built into its DNA.
    Bearly bearable then.

Salt 65%
    Again, just about watchable. She's not very convincing as a superspy and, I may have been debilitated though migraine, but seemed to be full of massive plotholes.

God why did I bother this weekend.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• craigy Staff 25 Mar 2013 16:25:18 7,491 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We Bought A Zoo?!??!???
  • kalel 25 Mar 2013 16:28:18 86,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pDxjFIOxw4c#t=14s

Edited by kalel at 16:29:07 25-03-2013
  • Blaketown 25 Mar 2013 16:29:41 4,635 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know.

I was/am sick & couldn't face any of the films on my list which are more challenging.

So I put on films that the wife/kids would enjoy and I could safely fall asleep during.

Didn't fall asleep for any of them though so ended up watching in full 4 of the most crushingly mediocre films ever.

Edited by Blaketown at 16:31:57 25-03-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Lotos8ter 25 Mar 2013 20:23:26 2,350 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone seen/seeing Trance over the next few days? Seems to be getting very mixed reviews but would appreciate any EG feedback, including 8/10

Fiat Lux

• Dougs 25 Mar 2013 21:14:27 66,577 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha, I found myself contemplating films like that today. Had a crushing migraine for most of the nit and morning which had reduced to a dull ache by mid-afternoon, and was looking for something I didn't have to concentrate on and could zone out to. Ended up with Kick Ass again. (9/10 still)

Edit:@Blaketown

Edited by Dougs at 21:14:53 25-03-2013
  • khaz 25 Mar 2013 22:42:50 2,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    (yes it was a good Tommy Lee; but that's not saying much because he's is a surly plank of wood no matter what the film)
    Heresy!

Go wash your mouth with soap.

Unless you mean this is a good thing in which case, i'll buy you a beer.
  • Blotto 25 Mar 2013 23:35:42 2,703 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Safety Not Guaranteed 7/10

Enjoyable. Nice way to spend an evening, had that generic indie feel that can go either way but worked quite well with this, although in another mood it may have just irritated me.

Good cast too. One of the subplots the main reporter man didn't do much for me and just fizzled out however and it never really reached a point where I thought it justified some of the hype it got.

One major irritant though the fact that Belinda was alive completely invalidated everything we knew about the main guy (I'm terrible at remembering names) and why he was building a time machine at all. What he was going back for? Why 2001 still?

Overall, enjoyable film with plotholes that didn't live up to the hype. Worth a watch though.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 00:07:10
    The Campaign- 5/10

Meh.
  • Page

of 2698 First / Last