Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2173

• Page

of 2705 First / Last

• mrpon 23 Mar 2013 20:20:49 28,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tower Heist

Plodded along, zero laughs, didn't care for the characters.

5/10

Safety Not Guaranteed

Quite enjoyed this whimsical, indie, light hearted rom com. The is he/isn't he mental keeps you guessing right till the end.

8/10

Edited by mrpon at 22:32:28 23-03-2013

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Tom_Servo 23 Mar 2013 22:40:49 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Argo - 6/10

Adequate in every sense. The acting is fine, the directing is fine, everything is fine. You'll have a decent enough time watching it, but I'm baffled as to how it received such rave reviews and won so many awards. Ho hum.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home - 8/10

I didn't really know about this when I found it, but the cast of US TV sitcom actors didn't fill me with confidence. However, it's a brilliant little movie. Jason Segel plays Jeff, a 30 year-old slacker still living at home with his mother (played by Susan Sarandon). Ed Helms plays his somewhat more successful but twatty brother.

My only complaints are that it's a bit too short (it's only 83 minutes) and the storyline with the mother just kinda stops and as a result it feels a bit superfluous and only there to get them all on the bridge at the end.

I was definitely a bit misty-eyed at the end too. Definitely try and catch it if you haven't seen it.

Moonrise Kingdom - 9/10

Fantastic, and the best Wes Anderson flick I've seen (so better than The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited and The Fantastic Mr Fox). The kid actors are great, and everything about it is nigh-on perfect. The only minor issue is that Bruce Willis felt like a little bit of a miscast. Very funny and charming apart from that, though.
  • Tom_Servo 23 Mar 2013 22:54:25 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, I watched The Master as well. Much like There Will Be Blood after the first watch, I'm not really ready to have a definitive opinion on it yet. TWBB became one of my favourite films after the second watch though!

My instinct is that it's a very good film but not quite up there with Blood. Phoenix, Seymour Hoffman and Adams are all brilliant but it's kind of lacking a big performance like the one from Day-Lewis that towered over Blood. Pretty sure there's not as many iconic moments in The Master either.
  • tuff 23 Mar 2013 23:12:46 622 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fall of the Essex Boys
    56%

Max from stenders new missus with the fish lips gets her tits out (they're better than her face) but ultimately its a story that's been told in 3 movies previous, and this one has a twist different to the last 3.

Tall Man
    12%

Jessica Bile; she used to be fit; in an incoherent story about abduction. Dross.

Edited by tuff at 09:11:31 24-03-2013

Edited by tuff at 09:12:07 24-03-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Mar 2013 23:14:41 16,845 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I watched Robin Hood last night and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe. It does sag in places and the last half an hour has some ridiculous moments in it especially Marion and Friar Tuck being in the final battle and in the final battle I don't really understand why they didn't just stay on the cliff and lob arrows at them. They weren't exactly going to get up those massive cliffs very easily, were they? but for the most part there wasn't too much incongruity or moments that annoyed me.

Crowe's accent was pretty funny through much of it as it went from grumble core, mancunian, Welsh, Scottish and standard English. For the most part he did pretty well and I enjoyed his band of merry men.

So, it was an origin story, are there going to be further Robin Hood films or did the floppiness of the film negate such an eventuality?

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 23:16:57 23-03-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• Madder-Max 24 Mar 2013 00:10:58 11,618 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Battlestar gallactica - blood and chrome. 9/10.

If ur into BG then this is fuckin ace from the off. Odamas very first op.

Loads of space combat, bromance shit, sacrifice, betrayal, welding and guns! Perfect action flick after a bottle of fizz.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• khaz 24 Mar 2013 06:48:55 2,708 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:
    TombStone. 9/10.
    /snip
    /snip
    Thanks for the tips mate.
    I watched Unforgiven the other day. Man what a belting film. And i mean belting. I didn't want it to end.

Clint Eastwood is a right badass. I loved the chemistry between him and Morgan Freeman. And the ending where clint nails them guys in a bar and confesses to how evil he really was. And the part where he says "Im gonna walk outta here and anyone who tries to shoot me is gonna die" or something to that effect. and then he just rides slowly out of town. Man that was epic.

I was constantly wondering during the film "was Eastwood as evil as what people say he was? Did he kill women and children? And his speech at the end was biblical.
    What an amazing western. Im slightly ashamed i haven't watched it until now actually.

I have The Wild Bunch here which i am just about to watch and will definitely watch them 3 films you named as your favourites over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the reccomendations. And I really must watch True Grit too. That does look brilliant.

I may be becoming a western fan :) Its great when being 32 years old you suddenly discover a new genre of film you like. Ive seen about 6 westerns this week. Every one of them highly enjoyable.
    So many films to watch, so little time.
    No problem. :)

Don't forget Yojimbo and the Dollars Trilogy. Yojimbo is currently haggling to work its way into my favourites list.

Also, There Will be Blood. Its not a typical western at all, it probably isn't one but it has very much to do with the way the old west was run and how it was literally build on top of blood, guts and oil.

And any film by P.T.Anderson is nothing short of brilliant anyway.

Edited by khaz at 06:52:42 24-03-2013
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2013 07:21:36 6,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just finished reading Blood Meridian. Reckon that would make for a pretty unconventional Western.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2013 09:05:06 14,698 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Werewolf - The Beast Among Us

An ok, if silly werewolf film.

5/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• kalel 24 Mar 2013 09:08:11 86,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I just finished reading Blood Meridian. Reckon that would make for a pretty unconventional Western.
    There's a film of All the Pretty Horses. It's awful.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2013 09:19:32 6,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh well, one can hope for something not-awful.

Though I guess much of the appeal of McCarthy is more in the prose, which wouldn't really translate to film unless you had the Kid reading out a monologue or something.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:22:24 24-03-2013
  • kalel 24 Mar 2013 09:26:44 86,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No Country for Old Men and The Road are both pretty good (although the latter kind of pointless). But Blood Meridian strikes me as unfilmable in a similar way to AtPH.
  • captainrentboy 24 Mar 2013 09:38:27 945 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Taken 2- Shit
    Didn't mind the first one, but this one was utter bollocks. There were 2 fights, each with 1800 different angle cuts in their one minute runtime. And for the other 88 minutes Neeson was either counting to himself, or his Daughter was throwing grenades in the streets, so that Neeson could incorrectly calculate how far away she was by using the speed of sound...

Edited by captainrentboy at 09:39:09 24-03-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 24 Mar 2013 09:53:55 1,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Battlestar gallactica - blood and chrome. 9/10.

If ur into BG then this is fuckin ace from the off. Odamas very first op.

Loads of space combat, bromance shit, sacrifice, betrayal, welding and guns! Perfect action flick after a bottle of fizz.
    Watched this last night. What he said! :D 9/10
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2013 09:55:09 6,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    No Country for Old Men and The Road are both pretty good (although the latter kind of pointless). But Blood Meridian strikes me as unfilmable in a similar way to AtPH.
    Yeah, I suppose you could just film the story and make something decent out of that. But it still probably wouldn't be a good adaptation, as the story is disjointed and not really the point anyway. It could be a good film, but pointless.

Heh, but I do like to wonder who would be cast as Judge Holden. If they resurrected Marlon Brando and made him shed a few kilos, possibly.
  • beastmaster 24 Mar 2013 10:14:26 11,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins - 6.5/10

I saw this at the cinema back in '85 when it was called Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous. Loved it then and I think it's a decent film now.

Despite having a bit of flat direction from Guy Hamilton, a couple of the action set pieces are good. The one with the dogs chansing after him and the Statue of Liberty in particular.

The banter between Fred Ward and Joel Grey as his Korean trainer is good too.

Not the greatest film ever but one that could probably do with a remake if anyone ever gave a shit.
    OMG.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been trying to remember this movie's name for YEARS. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Glad to help :-)

The Pink Panther (1963) - 8/10

What a superb films this is. Blake Edwards can do great slapstick comic direction, The visual gags are superb as is the dialogue. One scene with Clouseau just walking out of a building had got three belly laughs in it. The bedroom scene is just great physical comedy and timing. They really don't make them like they used to or remake them any good.

I would like to score it higher but this film lacks two things. Chief Insp. Charles Dreyfus and Cato. The sequels are, I think, better. Not only are these characters introduced but Sellers also is a lot more confident in the role. And they are funnier.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Tom_Servo 24 Mar 2013 13:16:00 17,323 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought they were filming Blood Meridian, actually. Quite how they're planning to get away with some of the content I don't know.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2013 13:28:46
    TechnoHippy wrote:

5/10
    The world can never get enough of Werewolf films, all-be-it, non silly.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2013 13:51:50 14,698 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:

5/10
    The world can never get enough of Werewolf films, all-be-it, non silly.
    There are much better ones than this :-) Ginger Snaps and Dog Soldiers are my favourites.

Lawless

Quite a watchable drama about some bootleggers during prohibition.

7/10

• monkehhh 24 Mar 2013 13:54:18 3,267 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    70's werewolf movie The Beast Must Die is pretty funny. It also includes a 'werewolf break' at the end, where you discuss who you think is the werewolf (I guessed it right, winner). I do feel sorry for the werewolf though, someone's dog in a big furry suit.
  • khaz 24 Mar 2013 14:07:32 2,708 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Pink Panther (1963) - 8/10

What a superb films this is. Blake Edwards can do great slapstick comic direction, The visual gags are superb as is the dialogue. One scene with Clouseau just walking out of a building had got three belly laughs in it. The bedroom scene is just great physical comedy and timing. They really don't make them like they used to or remake them any good.

I would like to score it higher but this film lacks two things. Chief Insp. Charles Dreyfus and Cato. The sequels are, I think, better. Not only are these characters introduced but Sellers also is a lot more confident in the role. And they are funnier.
    A Shot in the Dark is absolutely brilliant and the best movie in the series.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2013 15:26:17 14,698 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chained

An interesting movie about a boy growing up with a serial killer.

7/10

• Gambit1977 24 Mar 2013 16:15:55 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TechnoHippy really enjoyed this, it has a very intimate stage play feel about it.
    But the lad in it looks like a fish.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2013 16:29:59 14,698 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    @TechnoHippy really enjoyed this, it has a very intimate stage play feel about it.
    But the lad in it looks like a fish.
    I know what you mean and it would make a good play.

• Maturin 24 Mar 2013 16:34:34 2,889 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ooh Shot In the Dark is on Netflix. I'll watch that later. Great film. Not seen it for years.
  • Trowel 24 Mar 2013 17:19:27 17,431 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Legally Blonde (I know, I know) - 6/10

Actually pretty good for the first 2/3, but loses momentum in the courtroom when it should be its strongest scene. Certainly not a patch on My Cousin Vinny.
  • gigantor21 24 Mar 2013 17:26:08 7 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Out For Justice - 8/10

A quintissential "so bad it's good" movie, by way of Steven Seagal. He and other members of the cast deliver surprisingly good performances, and the fight scenes are deliciously brutal and efficient. The story is complete nonsense, yes, but I doubt even the writers expected anyone to take it seriously anyway.

Highlights: Steven Seagal speaking Italian, the eponymous bar scene, Shannon Whirry's cleavage, any scene with the antagonist's slutty sister Patti.

Have time to kill? Read my shitty game blog: http://kingpiccolo08.wordpress.com/.

• Deleted user 24 March 2013 18:33:53
    Identity (2003) 6.5/10

Total mixed views towards this. On the one hand the acting is good, and on the other, given some of the events that unfold, the characters responses seem unconvincing (maybe the script/director is to blame). On that level the film is a bit plastic, maybe made for American audiences. The story is a who done it (or whoís doing it). Ultimately, who really cares, as I didnít as a viewer. Paris, played by Amanda Peet looks stunning. Other than 2012 (2009) Iíve managed to avoid every film she has appeared in.

£1 for the DVD, so not a total loss. On the back on the DVD box it clearly states among the Special Features: Alternate Ending. Iíve looked, and it donít appear to be there?

Edited by blacksea at 18:34:04 24-03-2013
  • monkehhh 24 Mar 2013 18:52:42 3,267 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @gigantor21 Excellent Seagal movie. He is huge nowadays, I think he could literally eat a man.
  • Page

of 2705 First / Last