Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2157

• Page

of 2703 First / Last

• Blaketown 8 Mar 2013 08:59:19 4,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Darkest Hour 24%
    Just garbage. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Talentless, charmless nobodies hide from invisible monsters. Couldn't be any more generic and boring a story and yet manages to make no kind of sense.
    I think everyone involved, both in front of and behind the camera, were literally asleep throughout the making of this film.

Streetdance 2 18%
    It would be easy to think this was worst film ever made. Unfortunately I have seen the original and this is way better.
    FML.

Edited by Blaketown at 09:04:58 08-03-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Blakester 8 Mar 2013 13:07:41 3,567 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Imposter

Simply the best documentary I've ever seen and one of best films I've seen in a long time.

It's the story of a missing 13 year old boy from Arlington, Texas who turns up alive and well in Spain three years later.

Saying any more would ruin the experience, but it really is one of those true life stories that you would never accept if it was a movie.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

95%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deckard1 8 Mar 2013 13:10:33 27,069 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I watched that a while back. It's crazy.
  • spindle9988 8 Mar 2013 13:10:35 3,489 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @blakester

Sounds good. Is it on netflix?
  • Blotto 8 Mar 2013 13:14:43 2,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Serpico 8/10

Definitely a great film, there's no question there, but was slightly disappointed. Was sold to me as a true classic and the setting is right up my street but for some reason it never broke into the "This is fucking amazing" area that I was expecting it to.

Still, enjoyed it a lot and obviously worth a watch.
  • Lotos8ter 8 Mar 2013 13:27:10 2,350 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Arbitrage 8/10

Susan Sarandon and Richard Gere on fantastic form in a tight, dialogue driven thriller. You can't help but like the characters, even when they're behaving badly. And money corrupts us all.
    A slow start but a really enjoyable, "intelligent" film - one scene in particular Gere really sparkles in and there's a strong supporting cast too.
    Not wholly convinced with the closing finale or with Laetitia Casta but highly recommended anyways.

(edited because I spelt the title wrong. WTF is an arbitrage anyway?)

Edited by Lotos8ter at 13:28:16 08-03-2013

Fiat Lux

• bad09 8 Mar 2013 13:36:18 5,623 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Serpico 8/10

Definitely a great film, there's no question there, but was slightly disappointed. Was sold to me as a true classic and the setting is right up my street but for some reason it never broke into the "This is fucking amazing" area that I was expecting it to.

Still, enjoyed it a lot and obviously worth a watch.
    Great film. Supposedly they ignored the bad domestic violence his girlfriend suffered that came from his stress and paranoia but other than that a pretty accurate telling of a true story for once.
  • Blakester 8 Mar 2013 13:47:33 3,567 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    @blakester

Sounds good. Is it on netflix?
    I'm not sure, I got it through LoveFilm.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• beastmaster 8 Mar 2013 13:52:19 11,147 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Thing remake - 3.5/10

Too much poor CGI and it's just a very poor remake/prequel. I jumped at the first jump moment. A film so poor I just can't even be arsed to have a rant.

I wish I'd tracked down at watched the original B&W version instead. Still not seen it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 14:07:57 43,170 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Arbitrage 8/10

Susan Sarandon and Richard Gere on fantastic form in a tight, dialogue driven thriller. You can't help but like the characters, even when they're behaving badly. And money corrupts us all.
    A slow start but a really enjoyable, "intelligent" film - one scene in particular Gere really sparkles in and there's a strong supporting cast too.
    Not wholly convinced with the closing finale or with Laetitia Casta but highly recommended anyways.

(edited because I spelt the title wrong. WTF is an arbitrage anyway?)
    It's a difference in pricing between two markets which you can use to derive a profit. I know this sounds like any import/export business, but it's typically with financial transactions.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• King_Edward 8 Mar 2013 14:25:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Thing remake - 3.5/10

Too much poor CGI and it's just a very poor remake/prequel. I jumped at the first jump moment. A film so poor I just can't even be arsed to have a rant.

I wish I'd tracked down at watched the original B&W version instead. Still not seen it.
    It is...not good.
  • MrE26 8 Mar 2013 20:53:03 1,918 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mama - 6/10

Standard ghost story. Been done a million times before, but it has a nice creepy atmosphere to it, & the first 2/3 are enjoyable enough. Then... the ghost goes from being shown in quick effective glimpses to full view, & it looks like a crackhead Sarah Jessica Parker. Just silly CGI nonsense & the ending is fucking awful.

Zero Dark Thirty - 9/10
    Really enjoyed this, thought it was fully deserving of the acclaim it's received. One of the quickest 2 1/2 hours i've sat through, & the final sequence was extremely tense, in spite of me knowing exactly what was going to happen.
  • beastmaster 8 Mar 2013 21:05:28 11,147 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahh, thanks for letting me know. John Carpenter version rules!

He's done some amazing films. Shame he stays away from them now. I quite liked The Ward. At least he had the sense to cast Amber Heard, who I would watch in anything.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• oldschoolsoviet 8 Mar 2013 21:22:16 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stand Up Guys - 6/10

Chris Walken, Al Pacino and Alan Arkin starring, following three OAP former criminals on one last hurrah on Pacino's release day after a 28 year stretch.

Except it really never hits hurrah, and settles for Horlicks, with a pedestrian pace that's already got it's slippers on, a script that meanders where it should zing, and a scattered approach to sub-plot shennanigans. Disappointing.
  • askew 9 Mar 2013 09:26:41 12,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Side Effects - 7/10

Intriguing thriller with a great little soundtrack from Thomas Newman: reminded me of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo with its motifs.

+1 for Jude Law not using an Australian accent.
  • damagedinc 9 Mar 2013 09:28:48 685 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cloud Atlas

utterly brilliant or really shit. not quite sure haha.

editing is brilliant whole thing is seemless. i feel this needs repeat viewings
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 10:42:31
    This Is 40 90%

A genuinely funny comedy drama.
  • tuff 9 Mar 2013 10:52:28 622 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Sweeney

Don't bother.
  • tuff 9 Mar 2013 11:05:48 622 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Borat
    76%

Best of Baron Cohen's character movies.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Mar 2013 12:22:05 14,698 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looper

Better than I expected.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• craigy Staff 9 Mar 2013 14:47:11 7,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm loving the way @Blaketown italicises his scores. I'm doing that from now on.

The Campaign: 5/10
    Pretty goofy.

What's Your Number: 5/10
    Crass but likeable. We both got a bit confused watching this, as it got to a point where we expected it to end, but then it went on for another half an hour.

Here Comes the Boom: 5/10
    It's not laugh out loud funny -- what comedies starring Kevin James are? He's adorable enough though, so he can get away with just being a likeable screen presence. If you're an MMA fan you'll have fun spotting the cameos. Bas Rutten is a funny guy!
  • captainrentboy 9 Mar 2013 15:26:10 943 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oz, Great&Powerful- 75%
    Thankfully it was far better than I thought it would be! (Was dreading another crock of shit like Alice In Wonderland)
    Great special effects with some very effective Imax 3D imagery, especially throughout the first half (I can now add this to my huuuge list of films that have worthwhile 3D, and that's Avatar and Life of Pi) It was also pretty cool to see Sam Raimi unleashed on what is essentially a kid's film, I'm pretty sure there were a few of his usual nods to Evil Dead, especially in the camera movement.
    Franco's his usual marmite self and It's nice to see Zach Braff get some work too. All the actresses in their respective witch roles did a great job too.
    Well worth a watch.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Mar 2013 17:22:47 14,698 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paranormal Activity 4

It had a few nice ideas, using Kinect for demon watching for example. I've enjoyed the films thus far, but this was disappointing. It does the usual things but doesn't really progress the overarching story and when it does I wished they hadn't.

4/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• wobbly_Bob 10 Mar 2013 00:49:33 1,614 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched Oz the great and powerful tonight. I wish I hadn't Truely awful in almost every regard. I have seen some shit in my time and this turd is up there with the very worst movies I have ever seen. Seriously, i would have got up and walked out if not for my girlfriend, although it turned out she didn't like it either and she is a massive fan of things Oz and fantasy stuff. And Rachel Wiess is about as miscast as you could get.

0/100

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 00:52:54 10-03-2013
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 01:42:41
    Prometheus

Second time seeing it. Same questions and not good ones.. My main problem with this film is it asks you to suspend belief twenty odd times to many. Far too often taking gigantic leaps leaving me not understand any characters reasoning for any of their actions or the direction of the plot.

Still, film looks lovely and Theron is bloody beautiful. Part of me loves it and part of me hates it for the choices that were made.

6/10

(it would have been 7 but another point off for the appalling and intrusive score)

Predators

Again, not my first viewing but this film has a lot going for it. Let down in the final stages by a poorly executed and superfluous twist I still really enjoyed it. Adrian Brody is a nice surprise as I initially thought he was miscast but puts in a solid performance. Fishburn was as enjoyable to watch as ever. Some nice moments visually and avoided humanising the predators too much.

8/10
  • Mola_Ram 10 Mar 2013 03:08:13 6,946 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For me a film would have to be almost impossibly, offensively bad for it to get 0/100. I guess the worst movie I ever saw would get that, if we're rating everything we've ever seen on a scale. But I don't really do that.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 03:19:14 10-03-2013
  • shooter 10 Mar 2013 03:27:54 394 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Compliance - 6/10

Meh, was alright. A film based on a true story, and not losely, about a guy who calls a fast food shop pretending to be a cop and then starts fucking around with people. Was interesting how close they stayed to what actually happened as I didnt believe it could be true until I done some research after watching the film.

The acting was top notch but was expecting a bit better after hearing rave reviews. Slightly recommended
  • Dougs 10 Mar 2013 06:42:20 66,611 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Contagion. 5/10. Looked lovely, big fan of Soderberg but it was just dull. No character development, and little tension as a result. Disappointing.
  • Rodney 10 Mar 2013 09:15:46 1,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    5 Year Engagement.

About 40 minutes too long and the female lead was extremely irritating. She's playing an English character and I think she is actually an  English actress but it was like she was trying to do an impression of how Americans think English people speak.

Had some funny moments. Chris Pratt was basically Andy from Parks and Recreation and had some of the best lines

5/10
  • Page

of 2703 First / Last