Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2154

• Page

of 2711 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 March 2013 19:58:38
    Sound Of My Voice. 88%. It was strangely beautiful, Brit Marling is really talented.
  • beastmaster 4 Mar 2013 20:30:33 11,190 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    Sound Of My Voice. 88%. It was strangely beautiful, Brit Marling is really talented.
    What did you think of the ending?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Megapocalypse 4 Mar 2013 23:35:35 5,325 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Paranormal Activity 4 - 3/10

Rubbish. The films have got progressively worse, each trying to out do the previous one, and all the tension and fear is completely gone. The first film was great because the days were safe, creating a real sense of dread when it got dark. In this one there is no 'safe time'. In fact I think more happened during the day, and none of it is anything that hasn't been seen before.

The final scene with all the women was creepy.

I will still watch the next one.
  • sirtacos 5 Mar 2013 00:27:07 7,271 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Despite the cheap exploitative nature of it (and the 'found footage' aspect), I think the Paranormal Activity series has a lot of potential. It had been getting progressively scarier (IMO) with each outing, culminating in number 3, which I thought was by far the best.

Seeing it in the cinema helps, I think. A room full of tense moviegoers can add a lot to a horror film... especially one based on cheap jump scares.
    This only works if your fellow audience members aren't cunts, though.

Number 4 was shit right up until the end.

Whoever invented/invested in the franchise must be pleased. The films are cheap & easy to make and seem to gain popularity each year. It's a goldmine: the first instalment cost $15'000 (ish) and made over $100'000'000 in North America alone! If that's not a winning formula...

Given the loot involved, I'm sure many more paranormal activities will be had.

It's essentially throwaway film-making so I hope they'll take risks and experiment a little before the brand becomes stale. For this reason, I'll keep watching them.

Edited by sirtacos at 00:40:03 05-03-2013
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 02:29:07
    I think it's getting more and more convoluted and predictable, to be honest. The more exposition they give it about what's going on, the less I care about the random shocks and scares that happens. It's basically just the new Saw franchise - churn them out for Halloween and rake in the profits, and I also feel they're reaching the point where they're really stretching the found footage stuff. Kinect and webcam stuff felt very contrived. That they're doing multiple spin-offs now (a Mexican-set one and a sequel to the Japanese one) just reeks of "milk the fuck out of it whilst the box office is still there".
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 07:43:12
    @beastmaster I enjoyed it, but I think it was mysterious for the sake of being mysterious in an attempt to get some attention, rather than trying to be thought-provoking. Compare it to Primer and you’ll see what I mean.
  • pistol 5 Mar 2013 09:06:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zero Dark 30

Terrorism related and all about the search for Bin Ladan.

Ok, and interesting enough but a lot of the dialogue did my head in after a while and felt it went on a bit long.

6/10
  • craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 09:16:30 7,541 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    House at the End of the Street: 3/10
  • Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 09:24:18 9,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    House at the End of the Street: 3/10
    Generous! Although I guess that Jennifer Lawrence is worth that.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Mar 2013 09:44:18 25,429 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Skyfall - 7/10

I thought it was alright. Pretty good action flick, but fairly unmemorable overall.

Long way off being the Best Bond Evar!1!! as some reviews proclaimed.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:46:07 58,885 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rocky – They genuinely don’t make them like this anymore. A touching, sweet story that ends with a 20 minute fight sequence that may be on of the most violent in cinema history.

Its also a weird one in that it makes you think Stallone is this amazing character actor when, in reality, he is just playing himself. Its no wonder he never matched it (Except, arguably, with Rambo, where he plays basically the same character).

9/10

A Fish Called Wanda – Still hilarious, thankfully. I don’t know why/how but I watched this a lot as a kid. More than I think I realised as this was the first time I had seen it in maybe 15 years and I found that I knew it virtually word for word.

9/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 09:48:45 27,254 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You seen Warrior Nick? Does a fairly decent job off catching some of that Rocky magic.
  • speedofthepuma 5 Mar 2013 09:49:34 13,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember Stallone being very good in Cop Land.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:50:46 58,885 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No. I think Ultimate fighting/MMA is WWF for grownups, so have actively avoided it.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:51:22 58,885 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    I remember Stallone being very good in Cop Land.
    And then you remember him being terrible in everything else.

Although now he looks like a condom filled with peanuts. How a 60 year old can be more cut than a 30 year old boxer is beyond belief.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:52:07 05-03-2013

He totally called it

• speedofthepuma 5 Mar 2013 09:51:43 13,266 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• kalel 5 Mar 2013 09:54:40 86,417 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even "playing yourself" is not something easily pulled off. How many times have you seen non-actors play themselves as cameos in things and been absolutely excruciating. Being natural and believable on screen is a talent, even if your character is quite similar to yourself.
  • Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 09:55:17 27,254 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    No. I think Ultimate fighting/MMA is WWF for grownups, so have actively avoided it.
    I'd recommend giving it a go, it definitely has that Rocky vibe. Also Gladiator(the boxing on) is an misunderstood classic if you haven't seen it. The fights are amazing.

Edited by Deckard1 at 09:55:37 05-03-2013
  • kalel 5 Mar 2013 09:56:54 86,417 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flashdance is a good once for fans of Rocky.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 10:00:03 58,885 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Even "playing yourself" is not something easily pulled off. How many times have you seen non-actors play themselves as cameos in things and been absolutely excruciating. Being natural and believable on screen is a talent, even if your character is quite similar to yourself.
    Im not saying its easy, its just the only thing he can do, especially since he cant modulate his voice in the slightest.

Its a great performance in Rocky. The scenes when he first takes adrian out are brilliant.

He totally called it

• kalel 5 Mar 2013 10:02:13 86,417 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that's fair I guess.

The funny thing about Stallone is that he's actually most believable in quite sensitive roles. As soon as he starts playing a proper hardman he becomes utter crap, and yet that is his most common calling.
  • Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 10:02:38 9,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stallone is class in Cliffhanger! How dare you!
    This scene is the best though (look at old Pa Walton)

• craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 10:48:22 7,541 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Warrior is pretty good. Rocky is my favourite movie of all time. I'm sure I've said it in the past, but it's a completely misunderstood masterpiece of cinema. It's a love story first and foremost in my eyes. Stallone gets a free pass for life for creating it.
  • Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 10:57:38 27,254 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd just like to point out again, that everyone should watch Gladiator. It's very 90's but I fucking love it. Also it has an aggressive vest wearing Brian Dennehy as the final boss fight, and its as every bit as awesome as it sounds.
  • kalel 5 Mar 2013 11:00:42 86,417 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought The Fighter was a bit better than Warrior, although both are basically Rocky and slightly pointless because of it.
  • repairmanjack 5 Mar 2013 12:13:55 5,987 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Take This Waltz

Irritating, shocking, thoughtful, melancholy and memorable...in that order.

I was tempted to switch off after 20 minutes because Michelle Williams and Seth Rogan play quite possibly the most twee and therefore detestable couple in movie history.

Thankfully I stuck with it and uncovered something of a gem.

It's the story of a married woman who is attracted to the artist who lives across the street and struggles with her feelings for him. It's really a 'is the grass greener?' type of love story but with some fantastic imagery and a plot that doesn't follow the conventional path.

The ending caused something of a heated debate in our house, but not because it was poorly delivered, but because it brought out a range of emotions.

85%
    We watched this at the weekend. I think I despise it. Blunt messages (which Polley said she was intentionally heavy-handed with because "some people still miss the point" - so I take it it's aimed at the retarded (US) audience); an utterly unlikeable central character (and Williams is usually interesting in her acting and film choices).

Even the missus couldn't find anything redeemable in it. Except, maybe, the soundtrack.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Edited by repairmanjack at 12:15:19 05-03-2013
  • timetraveler 5 Mar 2013 12:26:42 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Impossible 7/10 :D
  • pistol 5 Mar 2013 13:37:49 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stallone is pretty convincing in Escape To Victory imo.
  • spindle9988 5 Mar 2013 15:02:08 3,504 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can someone please tell me the name to this film. It is set in an army camp and they are cooking up loads of heroin, plus there is some tank stuff.

Prob about 8 -10 yrs old
  • craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 15:02:45 7,541 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aaah, it's got Joaquin Phoenix in it
  • Page

of 2711 First / Last