Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2151

• Page

of 2745 First / Last

• repairmanjack 2 Mar 2013 23:28:37 5,998 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MetalDog

Sinister, I'm sad to say, was bloody awful. No tension or scares (a couple of set-ups are ruined by the trailer - don't watch it if you haven't. For what it's worth, I thought Insidious was pretty effective - a couple of moments really put the wind up me.
  • Gambit1977 2 Mar 2013 23:34:57 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Life of Pi.
    Lovely. And stunning to look at.
    8/10
  • Trowel 2 Mar 2013 23:44:26 17,524 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Argos 7/10

Far more mainstream than I expected, particularly the artificial tension for the escape. Felt a bit like Apollo 13 or similar high five movies.

Odd but predictable choice for best film. Better than The Artist I guess.
  • Gambit1977 2 Mar 2013 23:47:33 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Catalogue movie?
  • boo 3 Mar 2013 00:17:37 11,733 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec

Tres-bien/10

A Luc Besson film, so I was always going to be pre-disposed to liking it. Turned out to be excellent. A sort of Indiana Jones style romp with it's tongue firmly in it's cheek. The eponymous heroine is in Egypt in 1910, trying to bring back the mummy of Ramses II's doctor, so a professor friend of hers can bring him back from he dead so he can use his advanced Egyptian medical skills to bring Adele's sister out of a catatonic state caused by a bizarre tennis accident involving a foot-long hairpin.

But the professor's on death row because he's being blamed for the pterodactyl attacks plaguing Paris...

Tremendous fun, and highly recommended as long as you're either :

a) fluent in French, or
    b) not put off by subtitles.

Just Another Lego Blog

• TOOTR 3 Mar 2013 03:10:16 9,513 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:

But the professor's on death row because he's being blamed for the pterodactyl attacks plaguing Paris...

Well, there's a phrase you don't often hear. :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• B0rked_Gamer 3 Mar 2013 05:05:59 2,523 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I, Robot - Converse All Stars/10
  • -cerberus- 3 Mar 2013 06:50:39 2,641 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Master

Well, one doesn't even have to try to draw parallels between Hoffman's character and that L. Ron Hubbard fraud responsible for the cult of scientology. In fact, it's really hard to enjoy the story without reminding one's self of it.

7/10
    ---
    Take Shelter

Loved every minute of it. I got a bit of a Donnie Darko-vibe from it - though both are obviously very different films. Michael Shannon's such a great actor.

8,5/10
    ---
    102 minutes that changed america

A big collection of amateur footage that was shot on the spot during the 9/11 attacks. No narrator. Highly recommended, though not for those that can't stomach shaky-cam.

9/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Khanivor 3 Mar 2013 06:55:49 40,490 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shannon's appearance has tipped the scales for me to go see the new Superman. Take Shelter is a great movie which should be seen by loads more people. It's one of those movies which, on paper, seems as appealing as running out of toilet paper but when you get into it it's like dropping one which makes no contact with the sides at all.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 09:02:32
    MetalDog wrote:
    Looks like I'm going to have to add 'Sinister' to my watch list. Cheers TOOTR.

Just watched Insidious. What a weird fucking flick.
    It starts out innocuously enough, but once things start happening, they escalate rapidly and it definitely went in directions I wasn't expecting - which is good, I've seen a fuckload of horror and am not often surprised.

What stood out the most about it was how it would switch between being 'lolwut?' and genuinely unnerving. One minute I'm smirking and shaking my head, the next I'm turning on an extra light because the very dark corner of my room behind my right shoulder is bothering me.

Definitely a film to be watched alone or with a scaredy cat - I don't think it's creepy charms would survive a chummy group viewing. Give it a fair chance to unsettle you and bits of it probably will, especially in the third act.

I'm glad I watched it.

8/10
    You'll be pleased to know he's filming chapter two at the moment.

Also, his next film is The Conjuring, check out the trailer if you haven't already. Another haunted house flick but dripping with atmosphere.
  • Mint_mint 3 Mar 2013 09:06:36 18 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Jeff, who lives at home.

I really liked it. A gentle little tale with some good laughs. I cried at the end. Yes I'm a man, so I'm told.
  • Mint_mint 3 Mar 2013 09:07:05 18 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    oh 8/10
  • Oh-Bollox 3 Mar 2013 15:14:45 5,181 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stoker. 9/10. Cinematography, audio design, performances, all top notch. I genuinely felt like applauding at the end like some sort of crass American peasant. Script has one or two off-key notes, bit I've never before seen such sustained sensuous imagery.
  • evild_edd 3 Mar 2013 15:31:16 3,050 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X-Men: First Class

Picked this up from HMV for £2.99 on Sat and watched it last night. I'm a massive fan of the first and second X-Men but had been put off going to the cinema to see this as the premise smacked of being a reboot cop-out, and the third had tainted my enjoyment of the series. So it was that I came into the film with low expectations...

...only to be pleasantly surprised! The new actors all played their parts well - with the relationship between Magneto and Xavier, the heart of the x-men series IMO, being particularly strong - even though a few of the side-characters felt like token inclusions to replace unborn established x-men (the guy with the rings was essentially Cyclops; Azazel was basically Nightcrawler etc).

Well worth the £2.99 DVD asking price and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Will ensure I catch the next installment on the big screen.

8/10

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• TechnoHippy 3 Mar 2013 15:57:02 14,705 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I Am Bruce Lee

Ok, it's not really a film, but it is feature length and it's about Bruce Lee. The man is a legend.

9/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 15:57:20 03-03-2013

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• RedSparrows 3 Mar 2013 15:59:57 22,214 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec

Tres-bien/10

A Luc Besson film, so I was always going to be pre-disposed to liking it. Turned out to be excellent. A sort of Indiana Jones style romp with it's tongue firmly in it's cheek. The eponymous heroine is in Egypt in 1910, trying to bring back the mummy of Ramses II's doctor, so a professor friend of hers can bring him back from he dead so he can use his advanced Egyptian medical skills to bring Adele's sister out of a catatonic state caused by a bizarre tennis accident involving a foot-long hairpin.

Tremendous fun, and highly recommended as long as you're either :

a) fluent in French, or
    b) not put off by subtitles.
    This is a good, fun, film. Adventure, mystery, French Indy + she's hot AND tits. What more do you want?
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Mar 2013 16:55:34 16,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    This is a good, fun, film. Adventure, mystery, French Indy + she's hot AND tits. What more do you want?
    Tits aren't everything, Witness!

I finally got around to watching Predators and I think it's a very solid and well conceived action thriller. The pace was judged really well and it concluded fairly reasonably. I have to say I rather enjoyed their night time parts as it's rare for things to feel properly dark but this managed it really well. Some excellent gravelly voices too.

You are a factory of sadness.

• MatMan562 3 Mar 2013 17:16:07 2,370 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    the guy with the rings was essentially Cyclops
    Did they not suggest they were related in someway? I think they have the same surname but I'm not completely clued up on all things X-Men so could be wrong.

It is a great film though!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Deleted user 3 March 2013 17:21:02
    Yeah, he's Cyclop's brother, and Azazel is Nightcrawler's dad.
  • beastmaster 3 Mar 2013 17:28:37 11,292 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters (3D IMAX) - 6/10

Stupid, loud, absurd, predictable and effects laden action film from director of Dead Snow. I really enjoyed it

Don't need to know the plot, it's all in the title. If this film were a burger it would be like a gourmet burger compared to Van Helsing's 4am McTuckys turd burger. It's still shit, you know it's shit but it's tasty shit all the same. 3D was okay too.

It's violent, bloody and there's a lot of swearing in it. Gemma Arterton looks really good in tight leather pants. The action scenes are frenetic in a similar way to Army Of Darkness. But it's not as good.

Stoker - 9/10

I'm going to spoiler the brief plot description but you can get it from IMDB if you want it. Just in case anyone wants to see this without knowing a thing about it.

The debut US film from director Chan-wook Park (Vengeance trilogy) is as every bit as good a film as I hoped it would be. Creepy, sinister, erotic and at times very unsettling. An early contender for one of the best films of the year.

The plot is about a girl who has an unknown uncle move in with her and her mother after her father dies in an accident. She begins to suspect he has ulterior motives...

It's really is a beautiful film. The way it's shot is impeccable. It's not just that though. The way he moves the camera for certain scenes and shots is just brilliant. Even anyone who doesn't know or care about these things would still notice that there is some serious skill craft going on in these shots.

The acting is superb too. Nicole Kidman excels in doing serious drama and fucked-up characters. She plays the unhinged mother in this and you're never quite sure what she's going to do. However it's Mia Wasikowska who gives one of those performances that will basically knock her into the stratosphere. She's in virtually all the scenes in this film and you see her character go through some rather serious changes.

This film is really quite extraordinary. Just gripping from start to finish. Anyone who's seen any of Chan-wook Park's other films and was worried that he may have "gone soft" with his first US film will be delighted to know that this is most definitely not the case.

Onto something a bit different now though. At the Hansel and Gretel 3D IMAX they showed the opening scene of Oz the Great and Powerful and the trailer afterwards. A film I had totally dismissed with a "Naah!" and had no intention of seeing. I've not seen Life of Pi yet but I was pretty much blown away by what was shown. The 3D was superb and the colour and images were really quite breathtaking. It also seems to have a lot of trademark Rami in there. Think the Doc Ock operation scene type of frenetic mayhem. I'm really looking forward to seeing this on Friday now.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• evild_edd 3 Mar 2013 17:43:12 3,050 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, he's Cyclop's brother, and Azazel is Nightcrawler's dad.
    Ah, that explains things a little. Helps make sense, but still can't distract from the feeling of having familiar mutant powers in the film...

...it's a minor quibble to make about a really, really solid blockbuster, mind. The film still earns and deserves a lot of praise from me :0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• RyanDS 3 Mar 2013 17:50:17 9,154 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    War Games.

just finished Ready Player One and feeling nostalgic.

It was actually rather good and has inspired me to watch the Lost Boys and Breakfast club next. Hell I might even watch Rad!

9/10
  • Kronos 3 Mar 2013 18:15:00 560 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Skyfall - disappointing and overrated, worse than QOS which at least felt like a bond film - 6/10

Battleship - brainless fun - didn't click till later that the enemy mortar shell thingies were the pegs from the game - 6/10

John Carter - enjoyable didn't deserve to flop - although they could have lost the edgar rice burroughs framing story - 7/10
  • Bremenacht 3 Mar 2013 18:17:04 17,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really liking the sound of Stoker.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Mar 2013 18:25:23 14,705 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hell

A German post apocalyptic film. It's ok.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Oh-Bollox 3 Mar 2013 18:49:09 5,181 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Really liking the sound of Stoker.
    It's totes amaze.
  • Blotto 3 Mar 2013 22:09:26 2,772 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Quick Question: Is Hunger games a Twilight-esque teenage girl move or an enjoyably bit of fluff?

Looking for a relatively easy blockbuster and wondering if Hunger games fits that bill
  • monkehhh 3 Mar 2013 22:22:58 3,291 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Quick Question: Is Hunger games a Twilight-esque teenage girl move or an enjoyably bit of fluff?

Looking for a relatively easy blockbuster and wondering if Hunger games fits that bill
    Somewhere between Twilight and Battle Royale. It's enjoyable enough.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 22:34:37
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

An entertaining docudrama as a team hunt down Osama Bin Laden. I was expecting an all American hee-haa love-in with everyone slapping themselves on the back but it was a toned down look at intelligence gathering and methods.

I think the leading lady was nominated for an Oscar - not sure why as she spent the film staring into the abyss, behind the desk pretending to spot things and having a go at her superiors. Her performance is not even a patch on, say, Julia Roberts in Erin Brokovich or even the actress in Silver Lining Playbook.

Good film.

6/10
    Erin Brockovich wasn't out last year.
  • Page

of 2745 First / Last