Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2148

• Page

of 2698 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 27 Feb 2013 23:05:01 6,931 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No idea, but it's not particularly popular in Australia. I'm surprised it hasn't been cancelled. Maybe overseas viewers keep it afloat, sort of like the TV form of Fosters.

Home & Away is still doing fine though.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Feb 2013 23:08:49 6,931 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 23:42:38
    Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Terriffic. Loved this. Very dark, but i just brought into it.

10/10
  • sirtacos 28 Feb 2013 01:12:24 7,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Europa Europa

A German Jewish boy has the good fortune to look like a handsome 'pure-bred' German Aryan. He also speaks fluent Russian and German.
    When the holocaust starts, he flees. Hijinks ensue, and he ends up joining the Hitler Youth.

(Based on the true exploits of Solomon Perel.)
    The film veers from tense to hilarious to inexplicably weird.

Unlike the Pianist or Schindler's List, this film doesn't focus on The Horror. Instead, it uses levity to expose the absurdity of its subject matter. I liek dis.

7/10
  • SRS 28 Feb 2013 02:58:57 1 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dredd (the latest version). Surprisingly good.

89.0023411400034340000000000000000101%
  • SFD 28 Feb 2013 04:04:41 480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looper

80%

Excellent film.
  • pistol 28 Feb 2013 08:52:58 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Hot Potato

Ray Winstone caper set in the late 60's.

Inoffensive enough and not too long, but essentially a pile of sh*te. Also stars Jack Huston from Boardwalk Empire fame.

5/10
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 08:54:04
    Battleship starring rihanna. Dire 2/10.
  • Alastair 28 Feb 2013 08:55:41 15,404 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Did you expect it not to be...?
    :)

Not as nice as I used to be

• imamazed 28 Feb 2013 09:30:02 5,520 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lawless

The first 30 minutes or so are so by-the-numbers I thought we were going right into gangster cliche territory. Whilst it never strays completely from this, the last half of the movie is much stronger. I like how it concentrates on just one fued really, instead of the whole 'bootlegger/gangster lifestyle'. Some enjoyable performances, but still felt pretty lightweight by the end.

6/10
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 09:32:56 58,779 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    'Starring Rhianna' is a bit generous. She gets as many line as arnie in the original terminator, all of them along the lines of 'HELL YEAH' and 'HOO-RAH'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• CharlieStCloud 28 Feb 2013 11:05:02 5,011 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:

10/10
    I kind of wish I hadn't watched this because it is such an unsettling film with an unnecessarily ambiguous ending ... I like them when they are cleverly well thought out however, in this film, it was so poorly done and left just about everything to your own imagination; no closure at all is a big poo-bum of mine.

... lovely pair though.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 11:07:02 28-02-2013
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 11:17:54
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:

10/10
    I kind of wish I hadn't watched this because it is such an unsettling film with an unnecessarily ambiguous ending ... I like them when they are cleverly well thought out however, in this film, it was so poorly done and left just about everything to your own imagination; no closure at all is a big poo-bum of mine.

... lovely pair though.
    For me it worked in the film because of the confusion of the main character.
    i guess the closure was that no matter what, she was still going to be taken to the mental hospital- i guess you can see john hawkes apperance at the end as a haunting You not sure if it is him through her imagination, or just a normal man when they almost hit 'him', i don't think you see his face. Either way she is traumatised. The film throws up enough to give him reasons to get her - he is the leader of a cult and she was his favourite, so there is that relationship, he is unhinged, and effectively he drugged and raped people, and murdered a man in front of her.

But yeah i have watched too many films with ambigious endings of late. They can be really useful to a film or really shit. I'm fine with them if the film promotes a discussion of something vs something that leads up to the ambigious ending - which mmmm did, perception of reality, if it isn't that its normally annoying.

But yeah.. really nice pair!

Edited by joelstinton at 11:23:22 28-02-2013
  • HarryPalmer 28 Feb 2013 11:20:21 3,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Martha Marcy May Marlene isn't a thriller or a conventional drama. It's about mood, atmosphere and thought. I thought it was superbly constructed in the way it drip fed information and constantly ramped up the tension. I agree that the ending is jarring, but the ambiguity works IMO.

I thought it was great, and one of the most unsettling films I've seen in ages.
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 11:23:52 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From Russia with love

Part 2 of the 'Blu-Ray Bond-a-thon' took place last night.

Takes the formula from Dr. No and expands on it nicely - i actually found it quite amusing that, in both movies, the opening is almost identical :

- Bond walks in to Moneypennys office and throws his hat onto the stand
    - He gets his mission from M
    - Q walks in and gives Bond something
    - Bond leaves M's office and goes back out to flirt with Moneypenny
    - Cut to Bond landing at an airport and getting in a car
    - Bond is tailed by someone

Brilliant!, anyway, onto the film.

Connery brings his 'A game' again, seducing a beautiful woman one minute then double-chopping a guy in the neck the next minute. He really embodies the character and is a joy to watch.

Supporting characters are stronger this time around. Daniela Bianchi was an absolute stunner, Pedro Armendáriz as Kerim Bey was great and Robert Shaw as Grant was the original henchman and was very menacing.

Same as Dr. No, visually, the movie is spectacular. The Blu Ray transfer is excellent and really brings the movie to life.

Overall, it is a better movie than Dr. No, with a stronger script and a better story.

8/10

Very much looking forward to next Wednesday and Goldfinger.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Deleted user 28 February 2013 11:25:15
    The film really got under my skin (MMMM). But i loved it for that.

He only keeps Boys!

Edited by joelstinton at 11:25:39 28-02-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 28 Feb 2013 11:32:02 5,011 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe it was just me, but when the film ended, I sighed a humongous sigh of relief in the respect of, 'gosh ... glad that is over with'.

Just sssoooooo unsettling.

Nice to have a thoughtful discussion, even though I wasn't too fond of the film!
  • Blakester 28 Feb 2013 11:38:34 3,566 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Martha Marcy May Marlene isn't a thriller or a conventional drama. It's about mood, atmosphere and thought. I thought it was superbly constructed in the way it drip fed information and constantly ramped up the tension. I agree that the ending is jarring, but the ambiguity works IMO.

I thought it was great, and one of the most unsettling films I've seen in ages.
    I personally saw it as a horror film of sorts and therefore the unsettling and ambiguous ending really added to it.

Similar in a way to Never Let Me Go which was also a drama masquerading as an unsettling horror.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• -cerberus- 28 Feb 2013 12:22:12 2,401 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Les Blessures Assassines (Murderous Maids)

Incestuous lesbian maids murdering and mutilating their employer is a gruesomely fascinating premise. So after watching Sister My Sister the other day, I decided to dig a bit deeper and found this French version telling the same story. For one, it's a lot more graphic but sadly most of the film is poorly acted. I still enjoyed it but prefer the 1994 version.

7.5/10

Edited by -cerberus- at 12:22:52 28-02-2013

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• simsini 28 Feb 2013 12:48:16 312 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - 6/10

Not as bad as critics have made out. Non-stop action from start to finish with some cheesy one-liners. One of those films you enjoy while it lasts, but it won't be winning any awards.

I Give It A Year - 8/10

Very funny, particularly Stephen Merchant's character. If you haven't seen it his best man's speech at the start is fantastic. Also look out for a scene where the couple's honeymmon pictures are shown to her parents.

Edited by simsini at 12:50:47 28-02-2013
  • Deckard1 28 Feb 2013 12:50:03 27,027 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I saw an advert for that yesterday. It was the first I'd ever heard of it. Looks fucking awful.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Feb 2013 12:52:15 6,931 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Isn't there a Jack and the Giant Beanstalk action-fantasy coming out too?

It's getting a bit silly now.
  • Deckard1 28 Feb 2013 12:54:16 27,027 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tom Thumb: Monster Destroyer
  • Mola_Ram 28 Feb 2013 12:55:40 6,931 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rumpelstiltskin: Serial Rapist
  • Deckard1 28 Feb 2013 12:56:51 27,027 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah they did that already. Only he was a nonce.

• Mola_Ram 28 Feb 2013 12:59:06 6,931 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No reason why they can't do it again. 'tis the season of the remake.

Anyway:

Directed by Bryan Singer!!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:00:41 28-02-2013
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 19:54:54
    Cosmopolis (2012) 8/10

‘Riding across Manhattan in a stretch limo in order to get a haircut, a 28-year-old billionaire asset manager's day devolves into an odyssey with a cast of characters that start to tear his world apart.’ - IMDb

Been wanting to check this out for a while, but the DVD / Blu-ray appears to have held its price high since release. Finally got a copy off ebay for £3 - Yay!

Having read reviews, people seem divided into two camps, they either love it or dislike it.

The film has a certain unique super clean style to it. About 80% of the film takes place inside a white limousine. The interior is so surreal clean, it almost feels as if the limo isn’t moving.

The film is slow, it is dull at times. Maybe this is intentional, to reflect the world of billionaire asset manager. It is different, and that felt fresh. I liked it for these reasons.

Edited by blacksea at 19:56:26 28-02-2013
  • ronuds 28 Feb 2013 19:59:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Isn't there a Jack and the Giant Beanstalk action-fantasy coming out too?

It's getting a bit silly now.
    Hollywood's really dredging the bottom of the imagination sewer now.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 20:01:50
    Alastair wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Did you expect it not to be...?
    :)
    Well no but I wasn't expecting it to be that dire. Was painful.
  • Madder-Max 28 Feb 2013 20:30:50 11,618 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Cosmopolis (2012) 8/10

‘Riding across Manhattan in a stretch limo in order to get a haircut, a 28-year-old billionaire asset manager's day devolves into an odyssey with a cast of characters that start to tear his world apart.’ - IMDb

Been wanting to check this out for a while, but the DVD / Blu-ray appears to have held its price high since release. Finally got a copy off ebay for £3 - Yay!

Having read reviews, people seem divided into two camps, they either love it or dislike it.

The film has a certain unique super clean style to it. About 80% of the film takes place inside a white limousine. The interior is so surreal clean, it almost feels as if the limo isn’t moving.

The film is slow, it is dull at times. Maybe this is intentional, to reflect the world of billionaire asset manager. It is different, and that felt fresh. I liked it for these reasons.
    I managed an hour and that was it. Turned it off. Its quite hard work which would be fine if it was a bit more than about a rich guy in a limo and events were a sharper descent. As it is its just meh

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Page

of 2698 First / Last