Registered 8 years ago
    To the Wonder: 6/10
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 10:04:16 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also saw:

To the Wonder

Hmmmm. A really big fat hmmmmmmm.

I really like Malick (as others on here have noted in the past) but this one was a real test of my appreciation. It's very much in the same vein as The Tree of Life - in fact it's so similar it's borderline Tree of Life part 2. However, where Tree of Life had some pretty meaty themes underneath the artsy-fartsyness (death, life, the meaning of existence), this was really just a fairly mundane love story.

Not that the point of these things is the story, but wile the imagery was still STUNNING (really truly breathtakingly beautiful), because it wasn't that thought-provoking, it made sitting through the two odd hours a real challenge.

And it was a challenge most of the cinema wasn't up for. I'd say pretty much half had left by the end. Never seen so many people walk out a film. I suspect most thought they were just seeing a Ben Affleck romantic drama, but even some of the more beard-scratchy types lost patience as well.

I think it's worth watching if you like Malick, but I think it ultimately fails where Tree of Life succeeded. It's in many ways a superb piece of film making, and yet at the same time, I think it probably is quite a bad film - if that makes sense...

5/10
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 10:04:33 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, craigy, snap!
  • LeoliansBro 25 Feb 2013 10:06:40 44,505 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover. I have no idea / 10.

Deeply weird, deliberately unhelpful and unlikeable film that is both beautiful and repellant. Strange long pans with costume changes to reflect the colour, hugely stylised setting which owes far more to theatre than cinema, overacting in abundance and a gruesome ending (which is completely given away by the back of the DVD case, but no matter).

I don't like it but I can see it is a film of quality. Greenaway has something to say but it ultimately isn't worth the effort to get to it. Way too arthouse for me.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 10:11:32 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The cook, the Thief is probably his most watchable film as well.

I haven't seen it in a very long time but I remember finding it quite funny. Very dark humour less, but it made the artsyness easier to stomach somehow (possibly not the right phrase for this film...).
  • LeoliansBro 25 Feb 2013 10:12:33 44,505 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I preferred The Draughtsman's Contract. In fact having seen that first I feel a bit wrong-footed by the other stuff of his I've seen.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Lotos8ter 25 Feb 2013 10:14:22 2,361 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kalel - thanks for review of To the Wonder. I think I would lose patience too, although the chappy in The Giardian really enjoyed it. I might have to find out for myself...

Fiat Lux

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 10:20:34 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think if you like The Tree of Life there's a chance you might like To the Wonder. If you don't like Tree of Life, you will definitely hate To the Wonder.
  • Gambit1977 25 Feb 2013 11:18:10 10,164 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Cook...is one of those films, I find compelling, despite also wanting to be sick all the way through. It has a very uneasy feel to the whole thing. I don't think I've seen it for about 12 years though, maybe I need to revisit it. Like Kalel said, it's probably Greenaway's most 'accessible' piece.
  • craigy Staff 25 Feb 2013 11:18:52 7,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel your sentiments about To the Wonder are pretty close to my own. I think maybe the problem is that it's too soon since The Tree of Life to deliver another film in the same vein. Trying to figure out whether if Wonder came before Tree of Life I'd think better of it, but I genuinely think it's the weaker of the two.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 11:25:16 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @kalel your sentiments about To the Wonder are pretty close to my own. I think maybe the problem is that it's too soon since The Tree of Life to deliver another film in the same vein. Trying to figure out whether if Wonder came before Tree of Life I'd think better of it, but I genuinely think it's the weaker of the two.
    Maybe, but The New World was also pretty much the same kind of thing, but like Tree of Life just more interesting somehow. Although not much to be honest. But yes, the gap between Tree of Life and To the Wonder is perhaps too short. I do wonder in fact how he managed to film it so quickly give every single shot of the film appeared to be a sunrise shot. I'd have thought there weren't enough days.

Bit worried he has disappeared up his own arse. As much as I like his last few films, Badlands. Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line are significantly better imo.
  • craigy Staff 25 Feb 2013 11:45:44 7,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do you reckon Malick decided to cut most of Affleck's performance out from the edit like he did with Adrien Brody in The Thin Red Line? Affleck was barely present, but I can't figure out if that's a deliberate choice to serve the story and depict the character as cold/distant/not in the moment, or whether he couldn't give enough improv-wise and there wasn't enough filmed material to work with to make him a coherent character.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 11:48:20 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No idea really. Most of the shots of him seemed to be from the chin down, which was interesting as well.I do know it was originally supposed to be Christian Bale, whatever that suggests, if anything.

One review I read had a great comment that the French girl was "Malick's twirliest female lead yet". Made me laugh.
  • Tomo 25 Feb 2013 11:58:29 13,944 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm. I really want to see To The Wonder. Think I still will, but I'm intrigued now to see if my patience wanes.

Fwiw, I think Tree Of Life is fucking brilliant.
  • craigy Staff 25 Feb 2013 12:06:32 7,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Tree of Life is brilliant, but I was clock-watchiing big time during Wonder.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 12:08:31 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, same. I did go into a bit of a trance in both, but I came out of it much quicker in To the Wionder. Last half hour I was more interested in the people walking out than I was the film.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 12:13:25 7,666 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 12:16:55 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh.

I do wonder how much it's up to Malick to have all these superstars in his films. It does feel like it's more about tricking people into actually seeing them than anything else. My guess is that it's the studio demanding the big names.

Although Rachel McAdams was very good in To the Wonder. It suddenly became much more interesting when she was in it.
  • craigy Staff 25 Feb 2013 12:17:00 7,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was gagging to see more of Bardem's Father Quintana. It only scratched the surface of his story.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 12:27:13 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that was all a bit odd the Bardem stuff.

Apparently in Italy audience were laughing at his parts, and booing and stuff. If didn't go down well at all at Venice film festival.
  • BinaryBob101 25 Feb 2013 16:43:45 23,518 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Also the songs are written by the Flight of the Conchords guy and are also great.
    Yeah, I don't know if it did, but "Man, or Muppet" should have won an Oscar last year.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• PrivateFloyd 25 Feb 2013 19:34:46 4,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched Argo last night.

Deserved of the Oscar if you ask me, for the shit he gets Ben Affleck could well be one hell of a director over the next 20 years. I'v already pretty much enjoyed everything he has done so far. Crazy talent when you consider he was involved in such turds as reindeer games.

A solid 9/10.

And if you don't like the score then Argo fuck yourself.

;)

Goat is hungry.....

• beastmaster 25 Feb 2013 19:38:35 11,591 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I was gagging to see more of Bardem's Father Quintana. It only scratched the surface of his story.
    From reading the posts it seems as though Ben Allfeck isn't in it much. Neither is Bardem? Don't tell me it's fucking 90 minutes of lovely looking fucking tree shots!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• craigy Staff 25 Feb 2013 20:47:11 7,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Olga Kurylenko (or however you spell it) is the main lead. McAdams has about 5 minutes of screen time. Affleck barely says two lines. The marketing materials definitely don't represent the film in terms of who the stars are.
  • Megapocalypse 25 Feb 2013 21:03:22 5,468 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence - 3/10

Terrible but fun. Cage looks like he's having a stroke for most of it.

Sinister - 6/10

It tries to be a creepy little horror and almost succeeds. But is ultimately predictable, relying on cheap jump scares.
  • Deleted user 26 February 2013 07:36:15
    Been checking out the Shameless collection. They’re from the 1970’s / 1980’s and tend to be constructed from various sources to build up the most complete version of each film available. Picture quality varies quite abit, and its not uncommon for the film to switch from English dubbed to Italian for example.

23 - Satan’s Baby Doll / La Bimba di Satana (1982)

Poor stuff, even by Shameless standards. It made Papaya Del Caraibi (1978) seem good. The story revolves around Jacqueline who is possessed by a wicked spirit of her dead mother, and takes place in a castle. Even the nudity couldn’t save this one.

Edited by blacksea at 07:37:11 26-02-2013
  • -cerberus- 26 Feb 2013 13:46:54 3,138 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Friday the 13th (2009)

Fuck this.

1/10

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• kalel 26 Feb 2013 13:48:06 88,366 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh come on, that pair of boobs was worth at least 3.
  • ronuds 26 Feb 2013 14:13:48 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was what I expected a post-2000 version of Friday the 13th to be.
  • Page

of 2800 First / Last