Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2135

• Page

of 2861 First / Last

• ryohazuki1983 21 Feb 2013 10:09:26 741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dredd - 3/10 - Unimaginative police vs drug lord with a "rookie" cop. Shoot bad guys, shoot bad guys, repeat for whole duration of film.

Life of Pi - 7/10 - Enjoyable.
  • craigy Staff 21 Feb 2013 10:17:06 7,835 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing with this nostalgia trip that everyone ties to vinyl and 35mm: it's not nostalgia for the medium that you're feeling, it's nostalgia for the period of your life in which you first experienced the medium.

You don't prefer watching a scratchy 35mm print because it's the better medium: you watch it because it reminds you of your younger days, childhood, or whatever. That's not really a stable foundation on which to ground an opinion about technical qualities, IMO.

Our kids prefer digital, and think colour 35mm looks crap. We prefer colour 35mm (cos it reminds us of our saturday trips to the cinema), and our grandparents think it's crap compared to black and white. Our grandparents like black and white films (cos it reminds them of the war), and their grandparents think that being around things which arouse the emotion like music and certain books is a mortal sin (because they were stuffy victorians). The whole thing's a circle-jerk.
  • RichieTenenbaum 21 Feb 2013 10:25:51 2,226 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I addressed that in my last post, Dek.

I suppose you're right, Craigy. (Although with records you're kinda not. With records I didn't really have them as a kid. With records I like them because they require you to participate in the listening of music. You have to turn sides. Look after the object itself. They almost deman you listen to the record and not do anything else. You can't take the. Out with you. But that's a rant for another day)

But I do think mainstream films are getting shitter. And noisier. And 35mm HAD something.
  • repairmanjack 21 Feb 2013 10:48:06 6,078 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Bourne Legacy. 3/10

Those infinite number of monkeys that are supposed to knock out the works of Shakespeare? Ten of them took a cigarette break and wrote the script for this shit.

If you got through the first hour without thinking "The fuck?" you're a better man than I. I had to wait ninety minutes for one gimp to get karate-chopped in the throat. Matt Damon would have sorted this shit out in fifteen minutes flat.
  • Tonka 21 Feb 2013 10:50:54 21,345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also miss projectionists. Not because I care about the clatter and reel change blips but because when I went to see Super 8 it was shown out of focus for the entire fucking duration despite me and another guy going out to complain about it.

The person who knew hw to fix it wasn't on the premise.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• pistol 21 Feb 2013 10:52:32 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Manhunter

Very, very 80s, but definitely worth a watch just to see Brian Cox's portrayal of Hannibal Lector. There's got to be an argument for saying Cox's Lector is the superior one, as it's less camp, pantomime villainy than Hopkins'.

7/10

P.s. apologies for interrupting the resolution discussion with a review... ;P
    I prefer Brian Cox's version. Had the US DVD for years now.
  • nickthegun 21 Feb 2013 11:03:15 61,289 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I also miss projectionists. Not because I care about the clatter and reel change blips but because when I went to see Super 8 it was shown out of focus for the entire fucking duration despite me and another guy going out to complain about it.

The person who knew hw to fix it wasn't on the premise.
    I had that for the first 40 minutes of The Hobbit, so I asked for and got my money back.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• thedaveeyres 21 Feb 2013 11:09:29 11,585 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    Manhunter

Very, very 80s, but definitely worth a watch just to see Brian Cox's portrayal of Hannibal Lector. There's got to be an argument for saying Cox's Lector is the superior one, as it's less camp, pantomime villainy than Hopkins'.

7/10

P.s. apologies for interrupting the resolution discussion with a review... ;P
    I prefer Brian Cox's version. Had the US DVD for years now.
    It's a much better film all round. Hopkins is such a fucking ham.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• evild_edd 21 Feb 2013 11:29:17 3,198 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been years since I've seen SOTL, though I wasn't a massive fan first time round. Would see it again if it came back on telly.

I would've liked to have seen more of Cox's Lector in Manhunter. He was only really in it for about 10 mins and half of that was just his voice on the phone.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 11:32:33 44,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watch SOTL again and you'll realise just how impressive a performance it is from Hopkins. The direction helps no end but it's breathless in its intensity.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Tonka 21 Feb 2013 12:43:22 21,345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's this new trend? Hating on Hopkins Lector eh?

I think he's brilliant in SotL but that they should have ended the character there and then. The sequels with him as some weird sort of hero are just fucking weird.

Hardly Hopkins fault though.

• repairmanjack 21 Feb 2013 13:32:20 6,078 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sinister.

Isn't.
  • evild_edd 21 Feb 2013 13:33:20 3,198 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tonka

Not sure I was hating as such, just think that his performance was OTT.... but then Hannibal was an OTT character in a lot of ways, so I guess that's the point. Besides, it wouldn't so much be Hopkins' approach as that of the director, it's just easier to refer to one as Hopkins' Hannibal and the other as Cox's.

As for the sequel 'Hannibal', that has to go down as one of the worst films I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. Have you read the book? The ending for that takes an even more ridiculous turn in the end. Laughably bad.

Come to think of it, I can't remember whether I saw the film or read the book first. Either way, I wonder what the hell I was thing: the book should've put me off the film and the film should've warned me off the book.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• beastmaster 21 Feb 2013 13:34:10 11,970 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Hobbit (2D) - 8/10

Prefer it in 2D.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ronuds 21 Feb 2013 13:34:26 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    What's this new trend? Hating on Hopkins Lector eh?

I think he's brilliant in SotL but that they should have ended the character there and then. The sequels with him as some weird sort of hero are just fucking weird.

Hardly Hopkins fault though.
    I thought Red Dragon was pretty good.
  • Tonka 21 Feb 2013 13:37:00 21,345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @evild_edd
    Is Hannibal the one with the pigs and the brain eating? I havent read any book beyond Red Dragon which scared the shit out of me. Isn't there a "Young Hannibal" as well?

Haven't seen that.

• craigy Staff 21 Feb 2013 13:55:06 7,835 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hannibal Rising. It's pretty terrible, but doesn't star Hopkins. Red Dragon the novel is terrifying. I quite like the Brett Ratner movie version.
  • nickthegun 21 Feb 2013 14:00:15 61,289 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopkins has just sullied his reputation a bit with a few years of appearing in any old shite.

Without a decent script and director to work with, hes just another shouting scenery chewer. Like a welsh Brian Blessed.

• Deleted user 22 February 2013 00:15:06
    Looper

Ah. Waited a while to see this.

Disappointed. Main gripe? I hated every damn character. Also seriously slowed down. Wouldn't have minded but, as I say, hated everyone in it. Couldn't connect. Bruce was wasted, Gordon Levitt was a dick, kid was creepy and just wanted it to end.

Sound bad? Yeah. But also. Some nice touches, good dialogue and decent direction. Still, not enough.

4/10

Gutted.

Edit: weirdly though, think it would have made an excellent book

Edited by BillCityfingers at 00:16:28 22-02-2013
  • TOOTR 22 Feb 2013 04:32:19 9,647 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How dare you speak ill of the Welsh!

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• DUFFMAN5 22 Feb 2013 05:45:13 15,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How dare you speak ill of the ill

On that bombshell, I'm off to the Gym

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Trafford 22 Feb 2013 07:51:23 5,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Searching For Sugarman.

Stirring music documentary, avoid spoilers.
    Short and sweet.
    90%
  • Blaketown 22 Feb 2013 08:21:56 4,953 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Gingerbread Man 79%
    Decent enough John Grisham lawyer flick with a hell of a cast & directed by Robert Altman. Enjoyable but gets a bit silly in the final act.

Anyone who reviews a film that isn't a confectionery followed by the word man is a dick.

Edited by Blaketown at 08:22:58 22-02-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• sirtacos 22 Feb 2013 08:29:44 7,378 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Django Unchained

My admiration for Christoph Waltz has blossomed into a full-blown mancrush. Also, I wish I could grow my moustache to twirlable levels. Alas, I cannot.

Despite my enjoyment of Django, it doesn't live up to Tarantino's previous efforts IMO. In fact, I'd venture to say that it's the 'worst' Tarantino film. (I haven't seen Jackie Brown, though, for what it's worth.)

A generous 8/10

Mad Max

Glorious bit of 80s. Mel Gibson was quite a handsome young chap... albeit with an all-too recognisable glint of craziness in his eyes.

Despite the dark subject matter and post-apocalyptic setting, I found the movie to be uplifting. It's probably due to the costumes, campy villains and hilarious dialogue.

7/10

Edited by sirtacos at 08:38:02 22-02-2013
  • nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 08:31:08 61,289 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gansosleftpeg wrote:
    Candyman (1992)

Underrated in my opinion.
    In the way that its well liked by audiences and critics?

• Blaketown 22 Feb 2013 08:33:08 4,953 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was thinking the same thing. It's one of, if not the most highly rated horror films of the 90s.

Never really liked it myself.

Edited by Blaketown at 08:36:20 22-02-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Page

of 2861 First / Last