Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2134

• Page

of 2839 First / Last

• evild_edd 20 Feb 2013 22:04:33 3,166 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Manhunter

Very, very 80s, but definitely worth a watch just to see Brian Cox's portrayal of Hannibal Lector. There's got to be an argument for saying Cox's Lector is the superior one, as it's less camp, pantomime villainy than Hopkins'.

7/10

P.s. apologies for interrupting the resolution discussion with a review... ;P

Edited by evild_edd at 22:05:36 20-02-2013

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Gambit1977 20 Feb 2013 22:06:59 10,382 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd give Chained 7/10. Great 'feel', decent script, interesting story, but only Vincent D'Oforio can act in it. Other than the bad acting though, I enjoyed it and would watch again.
  • Dangerous_Dan 20 Feb 2013 22:11:24 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's really depending on the quality of film which was used. There were huge increases in quality before digital came around. Watch a bluray of a movie from the 1950s. They digitalized it and you see a freakin lot of grain. Sometimes they try to improve it with digital sharpener filters but the information which is contained in the movie is very limited.

Movie makers don't switch from analog to digital just for the heck of it. They only do this if there is a significant advantage.

Actually, there is a limit, both, for digital and analog techniques. It's the amount of light which is collected with the camera lens. You have to excitate the atoms on your CCD chip as well as the chemical structures on your film role. And at a certain point an increase in resolution diminishes the sharpness of the picture. It's the same with human eyes, when it's very dark then you have a kind of blur effect on your vision.

Black and white movies were sharper for quite some time after introducing color film. In that case you don't have to waste photons on the color information, all photons get collected and translated to contrast information. A cat can see much better in the dark but if I remember correctly they are color blind - a trade off.
  • Stickman 20 Feb 2013 23:57:13 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Captain America 0/10

Just no. No,no, no.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Mola_Ram 21 Feb 2013 00:00:47 7,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Why 0?
  • Stickman 21 Feb 2013 00:07:27 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's just total shit with no redeeming features. I can't think of one good thing about it. Plot holes you could drive a bus through, dislikable characters, shit baddie, awful 'boss fight' and the first half of it is interminably dull. The bird isn't even fit.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Tonka 21 Feb 2013 07:11:29 21,123 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    John Dies at the End
    Supernatural horror adventure by the maker of Bubba HoTep. But where Bubba HoTep was better as an idea than as an actual film this one is the other way around.

It's hardly even an idea.

Evils from another dimension are finding a way through and regular Jeos make a stand. Or do they?

Has some lovely puppetry and animatronics that reminds me of horror films of my yoof.

Well worth watching

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Ultrasoundwave 21 Feb 2013 09:00:53 3,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr. No

Got the full Bond Blu Ray set as a gift, so me and two of my mates have decided to go through them all, doing one a week for the next 24 weeks.

Naturally, we started at the beginning. I've seen Dr. No before but it was years ago, so i barely remembered any of it.

First of all, i'll say that the Blu Ray transfer is absolutely stunning, it brings the film to life beautifully.

Connery is perfect as Bond, absolutely spot on. He nails every aspect of the character.
    The story is quite simple, compared to other Bond stories, but moves along at a nice pace.

There is some excellent cinematography in there too - shooting on location in Jamaica was a smart move and the movie looks all the better for it.

Overall, a classic movie and a solid start to our Bond-a-thon. Two special mentions before the score :

1) "That's a Smith & Wesson....and you've had your six" is one of the coolest lines/scenes ever.

2) Felix Leiter has the best sunglasses in the history of sunglasses

7/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kalel 21 Feb 2013 09:03:33 89,116 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    It's just total shit with no redeeming features. I can't think of one good thing about it.
    Chris Evans is hot.
  • nickthegun 21 Feb 2013 09:18:03 60,965 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its been quite well established that he is.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deckard1 21 Feb 2013 09:19:53 29,111 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We're all gay here gansosleftpeg. All of us.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• kalel 21 Feb 2013 09:20:05 89,116 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nothing gay about appreciating that bod.
  • kalel 21 Feb 2013 09:20:26 89,116 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also I bet he has a pretty cock.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 09:20:36 44,720 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NM, kalel dailed it to 11 :)

Edited by LeoliansBro at 09:21:10 21-02-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deckard1 21 Feb 2013 09:21:18 29,111 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Also I bet he has a pretty cock.
    I imagine its very smooth. And well oiled.

• b0rk 21 Feb 2013 09:21:26 2,942 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    It's just total shit with no redeeming features. I can't think of one good thing about it.
    Chris Hemsworth is hot.
    fixed
  • kalel 21 Feb 2013 09:25:19 89,116 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My wife goes nuts for Hemsworth. Evans is more my type.
  • nickthegun 21 Feb 2013 09:28:03 60,965 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My mrs is nuts for Ronan off Stargate Atlantis. She must have been the only woman in the UK to insist on watching the new Conan the Barbarian movie.

• Tonka 21 Feb 2013 09:28:18 21,123 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is the Euro Gaymen forum after all.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deckard1 21 Feb 2013 09:28:25 29,111 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah my girlfriend likes Hemsworth and that little Italian chef. Me I'm a Tom Hardy man. I'd let him pound me till the conker season.

• monkman76 21 Feb 2013 09:29:04 5,037 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That Gansosleftpeg is a bit of a dish.
  • kalel 21 Feb 2013 09:31:07 89,116 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    She.
  • nickthegun 21 Feb 2013 09:33:54 60,965 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of which, its nice to see Ganso continuing the tradition of freaky looking brazillians.

• Deleted user 21 February 2013 09:41:14
    Thats my boy- 3/10

Terrible. It's my own fault for watching an Adam Sandler film, I must secretly hate myself.
  • RichieTenenbaum 21 Feb 2013 09:53:57 2,226 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just jumping into to the film debate here.

1. 3D. I think we all now see 3D for the con it was. An attempt to justify digital projectors (whose main advantage from the cinema's side is the fact that you can remotely control them much easier than film projectors, as you don't need to change reels, making it easy to control seven at a time and thus lose projectionists from your payslip. And whose main advantage from the studio's side is a reduction in film the screen piracy).
    It wasn't any better than the 3D in the 50s and 80s. As much as a fad as it was then. It's a silly concept anyway. We already take in movies as 3d by focus and size etc. our eyes can already work it out. No one saw Laurence Oliver coming over those dunes and thought 'ooooooo. What a tiny man'.
    As for films like Life of Pi, I would argue Life of Pi was significantly damaged by being in 3D. It was a film that experimented with colour significantly, and was made a worse film by that colour being muted by the polarising effect of the 3D glasses. Some of those scenes in the water looked SO MUCH better in 2D. So much more vibrant.

2. Filmstock

Now some of you think I'm a Luditte. This is possibly true. I know things are changing. But I DO feel like we're losi something, and it's OK to recognise that. For me, the blips and scratches in a 35mm/16mm film form part of the magic of cinema. A magic I've grown up with. The imperfection of the medium makes it more beautif. I also feel there's a 'look' to film which digital has not quite manged to capture so far. For me, the look of film is something to be treasured.

Now of course I'm not 100% serious with some of my 'text file can't make you cry' stuff, but there is a point to be made for the feeling of watching something in the physical medium. It's not invalid. It may be nostalgia, but I like nostalgia.

Doesn't stop me owning an iPod but I DO feel more engaged with music on record.

3. Real projectionists

I like it when there's a projectionist. Have you ever been to a multiplex and complained about the picture? They have no idea how to sort it. I feel it's part of the ritual of the cinema. Hearing the clack clack clack as the film goes through the cogs. Knowing that someone has put time and care and effort it something. I'm not consuming content. I'm participating in a shared experience.

These are my genuine views. And I think in the race to add new technology, we've slightly forgotten about what made things work in the first place. We're so keen for this clinical, perfect image that on the way maybe, just MAYBE, we'll lose what we loved about that image in the first place.
  • Page

of 2839 First / Last